Demon Cheersquad, Late 80's

Wilson7

On the early Cheers Squads  Late 60s early 70

John Hartman  who lead the squad for some time passed away about 6 weeks ago,   never did see a funeral notice or a reason for his death   RIP John

On Monday, June 01, 2015 at 5:26 PM, nutbean said:

I was ininthe cheinr squad in the 70's - I had no 11 - Greg Wells on the back of my duffle coat.

Can someone please tell me - who was the other person in the cheer squad ?

Must have been late 70s. I recall our cheer squad being pretty big In very early 70s. Bro and me (too a lessor degree as a little tacka) were even In a small unofficial one In the 2nd tier of the southern stand. Small banners, floggers etc.

14 hours ago, hocko said:

I am still living in Melbourne that is what Melbourne supporter does i am a true blue supporter

even i have not been around since i have not been around my money for my membership is going on school

books since my eldest just finished year 12 no more school fees for him and books my daughter is in year 8

school fees and school books for her they use computers now which cost a lot of money and having some health problems.t 

I'm think of coming back next year and if you want to now what happen add his son on Facebook Stewart Hocking and he'll tell u the rest and u'll be able to speak to him

Great to hear from you Hocko. I have had the pleasure of speaking to you many times at games. You are a real icon of the MFC and lead the best cheersquad we have ever had. I still can remember the way you lead the 'Melbourne..clap clap clap'  chant..,always alternating arms in the air. I wish you had of kept that Ricky Jackson jumper though..iconic that was. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 640MD said:

On the early Cheers Squads  Late 60s early 70

John Hartman  who lead the squad for some time passed away about 6 weeks ago,   never did see a funeral notice or a reason for his death   RIP John

Very sad to hear that.  I remember him well.  Very lean times back then of course, but I remember fondly the trips as a young fellow down to the lakeside oval to watch the night premiership games and Phil Rhoden's booming drop kicks from fullback.  RIP John.

I was a cheer squad member in the early 60's ('62-'66 or thereabouts). Malcolm Turner was President (followed by John Hartman). In those days about a dozen members would sleep outside the gates overnight, at all grounds except Geelong, Windy Hill and Victoria Park (too dangerous at the latter two).

For games at the 'G we would raid all the toilet blocks in the vicinity of Yarra Park for toilet rolls to supplement our shredded phone books.

A shoutout to Dobbo, Sawry and Mick Pierce (ski instructor and one of the holders of the '64 GF run thru) if you're still alive. Great memories.

• Like 2

Hi all - First time post for me - inspired by the 70s retro conversation.

I was a young teenager in the early 70s and I remember John Hartman well. Always felt "safe" knowing John, the Animal and his other mates were pitched behind the goals at the away grounds. The other name I remember was Steve Hartung (I think). A great spoken memory of Steve was at Collingwood in the last round of 1976, when he came up to me during the last quarter and said 'if we win this and get into the finals, we'll arrange for tickets at the end of the game' - alas not to be. Great memories, great times!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Must have been late 70s. I recall our cheer squad being pretty big In very early 70s. Bro and me (too a lessor degree as a little tacka) were even In a small unofficial one In the 2nd tier of the southern stand. Small banners, floggers etc.

Yes it was big in the early to mid seventies, and quite outrageous. There were special songs for opposition players..(Mark (Marcia) McClure) Carlton was a squad favourite...as well as the police who watched over us.....hilarious....You would always visit the supermarket before a game and grab as many toilet rolls as you could to throw on the ground when we kicked a goal (which wasnt that often most years)...Cheersquad leader was Steve Hartung. Not sure what happened to him or others (Harry & Budda etc) from that period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hocko said:

That will be great with his family

I hope I haven't misled you in any way Hocko. Was just having a playful poke at one of the board's regular contributors.

But if anyone here does have any influence within the club perhaps a brief letter on Hocko's behalf wouldn't go astray? Or maybe if someone on here was considering taking out a membership they could talk to the club about a special once-off two-for-one deal under the circumstances?

Or everyone on demonland donates 50c to get him a membership. Wouldn't take long given how many active members we have. 

My old man has been a member for nearly 40 years, and I can tell you that if it came down to school fees and membership I would have gone without school books. Hocko must be a great parent to give up his first love of the MFC for his family.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, M_9 said:

I was a cheer squad member in the early 60's ('62-'66 or thereabouts). Malcolm Turner was President (followed by John Hartman). In those days about a dozen members would sleep outside the gates overnight, at all grounds except Geelong, Windy Hill and Victoria Park (too dangerous at the latter two).

For games at the 'G we would raid all the toilet blocks in the vicinity of Yarra Park for toilet rolls to supplement our shredded phone books.

Remember ripping up phone books for hours,   with John H, Stan O, Don R, and Gordon T  great times, then after kicking the footy on the G taking down the banners etc, a snack in the restaurant in Swanston St,  then later going to the Phoenix and meeting the other club members. We were all good mates from all clubs.  A long time ago

Train trips to Geelong the night before games, snow trips, intra cheer squad footy games, playing cards all night                                can't remember it all

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 640MD said:

Remember ripping up phone books for hours,   with John H, Stan O, Don R, and Gordon T  great times, then after kicking the footy on the G taking down the banners etc, a snack in the restaurant in Swanston St,  then later going to the Phoenix and meeting the other club members. We were all good mates from all clubs.  A long time ago

Train trips to Geelong the night before games, snow trips, intra cheer squad footy games, playing cards all night                                can't remember it all

Those banners were very heavy when wet. I think I was in charge of 'The Never Say Die Demons' for a while. I recall a post some time ago talking about the wording on our banners. The funniest time I had (as a 13 year-old) was sleeping outside the Linton St. ground on a freezing Friday night when the Saints cheer squad came along and invited us to share the St Johns' Ambulance room with them. They had permission to use the room to store their banners, and would leave a window ajar as a means of (illegal) entry. The stretchers and blankets came out, and it was far more comfortable than outside the gate, albeit with an open fire made from neighbours fence palings.

BTW my sex education got quite a kick along that Friday night, with a little inter-squad 'bonding' taking place.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Those banners were very heavy when wet. I think I was in charge of 'The Never Say Die Demons' for a while. I recall a post some time ago talking about the wording on our banners. The funniest time I had (as a 13 year-old) was sleeping outside the Linton St. ground on a freezing Friday night when the Saints cheer squad came along and invited us to share the St Johns' Ambulance room with them. They had permission to use the room to store their banners, and would leave a window ajar as a means of (illegal) entry. The stretchers and blankets came out, and it was far more comfortable than outside the gate, albeit with an open fire made from neighbours fence palings.

BTW my sex education got quite a kick along that Friday night, with a little inter-squad 'bonding' taking place.

Damn.  I am so jealous.  I never even got close.

43 minutes ago, BillyBeane said:

Very cool thread.  In the same vein, I want to know where these people are now!  The poor old duck in the Navy sweater!

The 'poor old duck' probably saw the Demons win at least 5 flags!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

That's my mum.

So when you said 'I want to know where they are now', do you mean:

a) you've lost touch with ya mum
b) she went out for bread and milk and hasn't returned
c) she's gone to God or not

18 hours ago, 640MD said:

I don't get it, why would you rip up phone books before a game?

Just now, Choke said:

I don't get it, why would you rip up phone books before a game?

They were used as 'confetti'. Tearing a phone book into small pieces was a Friday night ritual. You'd take a huge plastic bag along to the game.

On another note, I remember attending a match at Kardinia Park in the 70's where a group of guys carried a full size iron bath full of VB and ice into the ground.

Doubt that a plastic bag full of shredded paper would get past security now, let alone a bath full of VB.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2016 at 2:22 PM, Call Me What You Will said:

Hi all - First time post for me - inspired by the 70s retro conversation.

I was a young teenager in the early 70s and I remember John Hartman well. Always felt "safe" knowing John, the Animal and his other mates were pitched behind the goals at the away grounds. The other name I remember was Steve Hartung (I think). A great spoken memory of Steve was at Collingwood in the last round of 1976, when he came up to me during the last quarter and said 'if we win this and get into the finals, we'll arrange for tickets at the end of the game' - alas not to be. Great memories, great times!

That was a bitter sweet day. Needed to knock off Collingwood (ended up wooden spooners that year) and for Carlton to beat Footscray - they drew - which meant we missed the final 5 (I think) by 2 points.

I remember a chorus Of "Melbourne...Melbourne..." ringing the ground in the last quarter which gave me goosebumps. Craig McKellar played a blinder in the ruck. And the best of all was been hit with an umbrella by an old, feral Collingwood supporter who would have been 80. God she could swing an umbrella. I forget who i was abusing, but I probably deserved it.

A surreal moment was actually leaving the ground and walking through the tiny back streets of Abbotsford and seeing an old terrace house full of bikies absolutely giving it to all the Collingwood supporters walking past. Never knew we had such friends. Sorry for the rant but this all brought back some great, albeit fuzzy memories.

• Like 2

Just now, M_9 said:

They were used as 'confetti'. Tearing a phone book into small pieces was a Friday night ritual. You'd take a huge plastic bag along to the game.

On another note, I remember attending a match at Kardinia Park in the 70's where a group of guys carried a full size iron bath full of VB and ice into the ground.

Doubt that a plastic bag full of shredded paper would get past security now, let alone a bath full of VB.

lol I'm still not sure I get it. Did you throw the 'confetti' at the players? Or was it reserved for when we won and you threw it around the stands?

• Like 1

If you look at vision of games from the mid-60's to early 70's you'll see the goal square and surrounds were covered in shredded paper, streamers and toilet paper (used as a streamer. That's why I mentioned in an earlier post that we'd raid all the toilet blocks around Yarra Park for toilet rolls.

Occasionally (when the 'confetti' got too deep), the goal umpire would endeavour to clear a path for the full back to kick out.

Probably a good thing that it doesn't happen now!

Hello to M_9 (and others),

Dobbo is still alive and kicking. I was in the Melbourne Cheer Squad from about 1962 until ??1967. I used to stand behind the CS after that.Still a member (now via MCC); still suffering. I haven't seen more that five or six games a year for the past decade, on account of living OS for much of the footy season. Always home for the finals, though. 

Loved the confetti making in the 1960s, and I maintained <THE DEVASTATING DEMONS> BANNER FOR A YEAR OR SO. Buggered my mother's sewing machine. It's many years since I saw anyone from the CS. I remember Ken Baines, Peter Lawrence, Jim somebody, Chris & Graham, and of course, Malcolm Turner.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dobbo_64 said:

.... I remember Ken Baines, Peter Lawrence, Jim somebody, Chris & Graham, and of course, Malcolm Turner.

G'day mate. I'm Graham (originally from Parkdale). The only people I can remember are you, Ken Baines and Malcolm. I moved down the West Coast and rarely got to games from 1966 until 1984. I've hardly missed a Vic game since (and catch a couple of interstaters each year).
In the 80's we sat behind the cheer squad who'd moved to Bay 12 (?) top level in the Southern Stand and sat with John Hartman, Animal and Gibbo.

We need to catch up. It's only been 50 years!

Edited by M_9
  • Like 1