Riley, where's the Love!?

picket fence

Almost irresistible for mine. 10 last quarter possessions, Maniacal attack on the ball. Sensational run down spill and free!

Put him head to head on Ollie Wines in the midfield and watch for fireworks.

A must in for the rest of the season! IMO

• Like 6

Riley, contested possession count was telling! Of Jimmy's 17 of 20 were uncontested! Different type of player Clint. Perhaps u are trying to wind me up?

• Like 1

He has played one good quarter as sub... I don't want to jump the gun.

He has come in before and struggled to find the ball and when he did he used it very poorly.

However hope he Toump can build on this game.

• Like 2

Riley, contested possession count was telling! Of Jimmy's 17 of 20 were uncontested! Different type of player Clint. Perhaps u are trying to wind me up?

Yes they no doubt have different roles - Jimmy would be encouraged to use his kicking skills - Riley probably not so much.

Thought Riley was just the tonic we needed - came on and added hardness at the contest. His tackling was at its ferocious best and got plenty of the ball. I've never seen a player who crash-tackles like he does. Definitely had a high impact as the sub.

As Clint Bizkit alluded to, I'm not sure he'll deliver it on a consistent basis, but I'm more than happy to celebrate these small victories for the fringe players.

• Like 6

He played well as a sub, maybe that's his go, I'm not sure he has the conditioning to play for quarters but being able to impact like that as a sub makes him super valuable

• Like 3

Riley has to retain the sub or be given a look at for a start against Port. He was terrific. I won't get too excited about seeing this sort of performance every week, Riley has done this in the past and fallen away when it counts. I hope he is given a chance, and hope for his sake he can make the most of it.

• Like 2

Riley, Michie and McKenzie are all fairly similar and interchangeable in that they can all find their own footy and are hard at it, but all 3 are too slow to be effective when the heat of the game is on, hence they are being used as subs. Riley seems to have the better levels of ferociousness to try and bury opponents with a tackle as he did last night, so that might give him the edge over Viv and Jordie.

If he can play with that manic pressure for 4 quarters then absolutely he plays, but as far as I know, there has been a bit of a knock on his fitness, especially considering he was coming off a broken leg last year.

• Like 3

Loved his massive tackle at half back that resulted in a turnover and inside 50 for us.

I thought it was going to be a certain free for WB but he nailed it.

If you were on the other team facing Riley and VDB you'd be worried. Both of them are happy to line a player up and smash them at full pace (legally, of course).

• Like 1

He's good as a sub. He's slow but when you come on in the last when players are tired and the game is slowing, and you get your tackling and contested possessions on song, that's all we can ask for.

I think in general he has some good attributes but we know his limitations. I definitely prefer him to Matt Jones and Bail, but again they are in for leg speed so it's not like comparing apples with apples.

• Like 1

Riley has to retain the sub or be given a look at for a start against Port. He was terrific. I won't get too excited about seeing this sort of performance every week, Riley has done this in the past and fallen away when it counts. I hope he is given a chance, and hope for his sake he can make the most of it.

He was also coming back from a broken leg so had not much preseason in him. He will be much better this season after full preseason along with full games in the 2's. Would be happy for him to start next week if required.

He's good as a sub. He's slow but when you come on in the last when players are tired and the game is slowing, and you get your tackling and contested possessions on song, that's all we can ask for.

I think in general he has some good attributes but we know his limitations. I definitely prefer him to Matt Jones and Bail, but again they are in for leg speed so it's not like comparing apples with apples.

This is the point. He has strengths, he has limitations, like every player. But sub does seem to suit him, as it brings his strengths to the fore & reduces the effect of his limitations.

He was at most or all of the centre bounces in the last qtr, so Roos would seem to have faith in his ability at stoppages.

Riley, Michie and McKenzie are all fairly similar and interchangeable in that they can all find their own footy and are hard at it, but all 3 are too slow to be effective when the heat of the game is on, hence they are being used as subs. Riley seems to have the better levels of ferociousness to try and bury opponents with a tackle as he did last night, so that might give him the edge over Viv and Jordie.

Spot on DD

Well done to Riley after beating the door down at Casey.

Makes much more sense as a sub than Jordie McKenzie did.

His kamikaze attack on the footy really is something. Couldn't play him all day in the same midfield as Tyson, Cross etc. but can really have an impact as the sub when the pace has gone out of the game.

We just weren't able to get our hands on the footy against the top sides so I like the idea of Riley coming on when the opposition's midfield are buggered and crashing in and winning some contests to get the ball going our way.

• Like 3

Could be the perfect sub....sitting there getting angrier and angrier, then come on and explode.

• Like 5

Well done to Riley after beating the door down at Casey.

Makes much more sense as a sub than Jordie McKenzie did.

His kamikaze attack on the footy really is something. Couldn't play him all day in the same midfield as Tyson, Cross etc. but can really have an impact as the sub when the pace has gone out of the game.

We just weren't able to get our hands on the footy against the top sides so I like the idea of Riley coming on when the opposition's midfield are buggered and crashing in and winning some contests to get the ball going our way.

Not sure that he has the lack of pace that some posters are suggesting. The week before when he played VFL (albeit at a lesser pace), he had 28 possessions and laid 14 tackles, something that you cannot do if you are the slowest on the field. Remember that he is coming back from a broken leg.

Could be the perfect sub....sitting there getting angrier and angrier, then come on and explode.

LOL. People nearby thought I was mad. Maybe they are right.

I guess one can only be a successful sub for a limited time before one needs a full game, somewhere

• Like 2

Put him in a cage poking him with a stick for 3 qtrs and then unleash him in the 4th.

It would be a great "matchday experience"