Delistings/trades at end of the season

Not a chance. Had his best season and is finally starting to realise his potential.

Do you want him traded or something?

Id say better than even chance.

I want him traded.

That's a much healthier stance than those that just want to trade him 'for a bag of chips.'

He has been good for a couple of months now while more highly touted 'stars' are crashing and burning the place down.

Of course he is tradeable but he is also becoming more and more valuable as a footy player.

I posted the other day R-Jay that moving all five is unlikely and that I would keep Watts out of the five. If we were to secure Lynch we would have 3 mobile fwd options. But as you have said "never say never". None of us know what Goodwin is thinking.

He's become a valuable player for us now. Can play forward, drop back when we need an extra, play across the middle and a very good 3rd man up.

He will only get better from here on, I hope it's with us.

• Like 3

Maybe Paul Roos would like to trade supporter base. We are far too negative.

Try dishing up the last few weeks to Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, WestCoast supporters. Your head would be on a stick.

Blame the supporters all you like, we haven't failed the club because we are still paying membership. What about you? Would you be happy to show the last 3 weeks of MFC games as the mark you have left on football? The insipid performances of the players the last 3 weeks is a direct result of Paul Roos not the supporters. Man up, make the tough decisions show some god damn spine, and then the players might. Until then the supporters keep this club going and don't you forget it.

sorry mandee, but your starting to sound like an upset former president in the papers recently...

its this negativeness that stops the club from searching & scutinising every corner & crevice, in its quest to find reason for our cultural demise of over 50 yrs, & counting... to dismiss anything is pure closed-mindedness, & defensive in the extreme.

the answers lye all about the place, including within the support base as well.

Can't remember....have we discussed Matt Suckling?

Has been mentioned and I was keen on him earlier on. Arguably the best kick in the league.

But someone made a very good point that he is probably the kind of player who looks much better in a very good side. Thinking about that, I don't think he'd be a good fit for us at the moment.

Has been mentioned and I was keen on him earlier on. Arguably the best kick in the league.

But someone made a very good point that he is probably the kind of player who looks much better in a very good side. Thinking about that, I don't think he'd be a good fit for us at the moment.

nHe would be a better fit than 90% of our current team...

From Greg Denham: '...Carlton who, with Melbourne, are also chasing out-of-contract Giant...Lachie Plowman'

From the GWS website: 'A tall defender, Lachie Plowman was selected…with pick three in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft. With a terrific ability to win the contested ball in the air and at ground level, Plowman is a poised player with good decision-making skills.'

As a defender, our interest could be a replacement for Dunn and Lumumba in a few years (earlier if their form doesn't improve). Plowman has played forward so could be a 'swingman' type or a replacement for Howe. My doubt around Plowman would be why a #3 pick cannot get a game in 2015, a year riddled with injuries for GWS. But then we can certainly use a lot of 'poise' and 'good decision-making skills'!!!!

While doubt remains about Roos' ability to convert player attitudes there is little doubt about his nous picking 'the right' players.

Right now I am very happy to take anyone who gives 100% effort and get rid of anyone who has a poor attitude and won't/can't change.

So, I would take him as he would come cheaply.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

So he's a better version of the Prince, actually sounds like a third of our team.
  • Like 1

From Greg Denham: '...Carlton who, with Melbourne, are also chasing out-of-contract Giant...Lachie Plowman'

From the GWS website: 'A tall defender, Lachie Plowman was selected…with pick three in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft. With a terrific ability to win the contested ball in the air and at ground level, Plowman is a poised player with good decision-making skills.'

As a defender, our interest could be a replacement for Dunn and Lumumba in a few years (earlier if their form doesn't improve). Plowman has played forward so could be a 'swingman' type or a replacement for Howe. My doubt around Plowman would be why a #3 pick cannot get a game in 2015, a year riddled with injuries for GWS. But then we can certainly use a lot of 'poise' and 'good decision-making skills'!!!!

While doubt remains about Roos' ability to convert player attitudes there is little doubt about his nous picking 'the right' players.

Right now I am very happy to take anyone who gives 100% effort and get rid of anyone who has a poor attitude and won't/can't change.

Problem is i actually dont think he is out of contract. Pretty sure he signed on last year.

Plowman's had a few injury issues including spending the first 11 rounds out with an elbow injury (dislocation?), so hasn't had a real clean run at it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-28/raiding-the-lost-and-injured-giants

We rated him extremely highly in 2012, and despite him missing most of his draft year with injury, was still in consideration deep into our process.

Can play tall as well as play that rebounding half back role, but a lot of recruiter's saw his future as a big bodied midfielder. Rumours were that Richmond were heavily courting Plowman, but they've also been chasing high calibre midfield targets, which may have dropped Plowman down on their priority list.

I believe Plowman's under contract, but GWS will be expecting to lose some fringe players (regardless of where they were drafted) to balance out their draft point totals when their academy players are bid upon with high selections. Trading out a couple will allow them to stay in the draft next year (when they have arguably even better talent coming through their academy).

FWIW, here's Callum Twomey's write up from AFL.com's phantom draft in '12:

3. Greater Western Sydney - Lachie Plowman

Height: 192cm
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 11/09/94
Club: Calder Cannons
Draft range: 3-12
If not for a serious elbow injury in May, most would have Plowman ranked this highly without any questions. The rebounding, tough and creative defender was in flying form for the Calder Cannons at the start of the year before jumping for a mark and landing on his arm, dislocating his elbow and tearing a ligament. He had surgery, and missed almost four months, including the championships. But the 18-year-old is an excellent pick for the Giants, who need to shore up their list with a few more defenders. As well as being courageous in the air and competitive when the ball hits the ground, his foot skills are terrific and he can control a game from half-back.
In the mix: Western Bulldogs. The Giants could pass, and although he's a chance for the Demons, they might prefer a midfielder. He could even get through to GWS at pick 12, although that's unlikely.

• Like 1

Seems we're preparing for the likely departure of Howe and maybe Garland. I like the idea of Plowman. Another skilful GWS player who's been riddled with injury. Wonder if we could package him up with Tomlinson?

Plowman actually sounds like a similar player to the young Rivers.

Apart from the foot skills.

Edited by Django

He signed a contract last year until the end of 2016.

We can still get him.

Great replacement for Garland and providing he can have a clear run at it without injuries, he'd provide much of what Garland doesn't plus he'd be a breath of fresh air for the backline as well as the club in general.

This is exactly what we need to be doing.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Ideal offseason:

Yarran and Plowman for the backline.

One of: Bennell, Danger, Motlop

Kruezer or Leuenberger as a resting Forward/Ruckman

Tomlinson or Lynch for the forwardline.

One senior player with leadership qualities: Kelly/Steve Johnson

2016 Round 1 team: (Let me dream)

HB Jetta Dunn Plowman

B Yarran McDonald Salem

C Bennell Brayshaw Vince

HF Petracca Tomlinson Kent

FF Garlett Hogan Kreuzer

Foll Gawn Jones Viney

Int Tyson Vandenberg JKH Stevie J/Kelly

• Like 3

And how well has the injury plagued GWS recruit worked for us this year? Dom Tyson hasn't had a kick thanks to knee and hamstring injuries.

So he won't be getting over them then?

• Like 1

Ideal offseason:

Yarran and Plowman for the backline.

One of: Bennell, Danger, Motlop

Kruezer or Leuenberger as a resting Forward/Ruckman

Tomlinson or Lynch for the forwardline.

One senior player with leadership qualities: Kelly/Steve Johnson

2016 Round 1 team: (Let me dream)

HB Jetta Dunn Plowman

B Yarran McDonald Salem

C Bennell Brayshaw Vince

HF Petracca Tomlinson Kent

FF Garlett Hogan Kreuzer

Foll Gawn Jones Viney

Int Tyson Vandenberg JKH Stevie J/Kelly

Forget Yarran 'steve', if you are worried about sook factor & bad attitude then he has it in spades.

Neither of the rucks you mention are forwards, both need the number one role so unless you want Max back at Casey then a no for them.

Love 'Stevie J', one of the most enjoyable players to watch since Jurrah left the game but I'm not sure he brings leadership.

In light of the 'debacle' of this season - it is interesting to note that Roos will push the amount of players he has moved on to over 30 this summer.

There are 44 places on the list...

The problem is that a number of the players in the gun are players that Roos brought in two years ago (Riley, Michie, Cross, Hunt, etc). And we will be having the same conversation about Newton and Lumumba next year if they don't improve markedly.

Been in the system now a few years and has probably missed as many games as he's played. He's injury prone.

He'll get over these injuries but there'll be others.

GWS knew exactly which midfielder to let go.

Tyson's year last year blew everyone's expectations away, including GWS' I'm sure and that was off the back of a limited pre-season.

I know for a fact that this particular knee injury he's been carrying has made things like covering the ground, ability to two-way run etc really difficult. He's been able to manage it though and it's clear Roos and the coaches think his ability to win the ball in close is too important to play someone who provides less.

I think we've seen from Tyson last year that when fit and firing, he can be a really good ball winning mid.

The only concern I have with him is his selfishness as a player. He is someone who has a natural habit of wanting to kick it rather than giving off to someone who is in a better position.

Time is on our side so as long as a he matures and develops in the right way and uses his hands in close much more, he'll be a really important player for us going forward.

Did his form last year not give you any confidence that he has serious ability?

• Like 1

Other aspect of that same article was that not only is Jack Redden considering departing, but Brisbane are shopping him.

I suspect they believe he'll walk in free agency and will try to get something for him now rather than bank on getting reasonable FA compo.

Forget Yarran 'steve', if you are worried about sook factor & bad attitude then he has it in spades.

Neither of the rucks you mention are forwards, both need the number one role so unless you want Max back at Casey then a no for them.

Love 'Stevie J', one of the most enjoyable players to watch since Jurrah left the game but I'm not sure he brings leadership.

I refuse to believe the idea that Yarran has this ingrained laziness/bad attitude thing. Do you know why? Because I've seen him play a lot over the years and this is the only year and time in his career in which he's lost the plot.

When on song, in the right environment and is confident, he has shown an ability to turn matches. Go through some tapes of Garlett this year and tell me his pressure around the ball carrier isn't infectious. Have a look at how many of his pressure acts/chase downs etc have contributed to scoring opportunities for us this year. He wasn't doing anywhere near that kind of work off the ball last year.

You have a very short memory if you're willing to box Yarran in as that 'lazy' player. But please yourself. The fact is, anybody in the football world would agree that Yarran at his best would be an extremely valuable asset. Especially for a team like us who are very one-paced and have a pretty poor skill-level all over the ground. Roos, Macca and Goodwin all have enormous ability in being able to get the best out of young players. Yarran is coming into his prime.

As for rucks, I think Kreuzer has easily shown an ability to hit the scoreboard when forward as long as he can stay on the park. Leuenberger less so. But still. A lot of it is also to do with quality of inside 50 entries. If you can get the ball in there quickly and with advantage to the forwards, the only trouble resting ruckmen will have from that point on is conversion rate. Part of the reason I hope we go for speed and skill across the board next year.

As for Stevie J. No he's no Joel Selwood in terms of 'follow me' type of leader. But coming from a successful club, being a champion player and someone who can still play, I'd say he'd be considered a leader for our young group. Especially in his communication skills and understanding of football. Would be mpre influential for our young players than Jamar/garland/Dunn etc etc.

• Like 1

stevethemanjordan, on 27 Aug 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Tyson's year last year blew everyone's expectations away, including GWS' I'm sure and that was off the back of a limited pre-season.

I know for a fact that this particular knee injury he's been carrying has made things like covering the ground, ability to two-way run etc really difficult. He's been able to manage it though and it's clear Roos and the coaches think his ability to win the ball in close is too important to play someone who provides less.

I think we've seen from Tyson last year that when fit and firing, he can be a really good ball winning mid.

The only concern I have with him is his selfishness as a player. He is someone who has a natural habit of wanting to kick it rather than giving off to someone who is in a better position.

Time is on our side so as long as a he matures and develops in the right way and uses his hands in close much more, he'll be a really important player for us going forward.

Did his form last year not give you any confidence that he has serious ability?

You are right Steve.........But you know Demonland.......If someone has a bit of a off year, Trade em....

Everybody says "Develop the players" but only give them one year.....If they can't be champ by then.....Cut them off the list

OR

Trade MacKenzie, M Jones etc for Pendlebury Ablett,Fyffe et al

I hate the silly season.....It is about to come in two weeks and I have to read about all the wishful trades that have not a hope in hell of coming off.

It has already started in the media and the finals are still two weeks away.

• Like 1