Thanks for nothing Garry Lyon

"Thanks for nothing Garry Lyon" is just such a misguided statement. The bloke has life long body reminders for what he gave. He's a passionate Demons supporter for life FFS

Passionate supporter he is not. Eddie McGuire is passionate! The only time Garry Lyon has tipped Melbourne in recent history was against GWS ( and he got that wrong )! Have you ever seen Eddie tip against Collingwood or John Elliot against Carlton ( despite them being a basket case)? Apparently performing well in the footy tipping is more important in Lyon's priorities than showing some faith or loyalty towards the MFC.

H

Perhaps you could refresh my memory. I can't think of any players knocked out in a Grand Final although I have no doubt Mark Yeates wouldn't have been disappointed if his bump on Brereton in the 1989 Grand Final had conjured that result. But that's a quarter of a century ago now.

how about brad green going to hospital with a d amages wind pipe, also troy Simmons knock out by long with a hip to the head, so thats two in one grand final,go back and look at every grand final sheedy coached the bombers, they are full of fights and attempts to knock players out.

Passionate supporter he is not. Eddie McGuire is passionate! The only time Garry Lyon has tipped Melbourne in recent history was against GWS ( and he got that wrong )! Have you ever seen Eddie tip against Collingwood or John Elliot against Carlton ( despite them being a basket case)? Apparently performing well in the footy tipping is more important in Lyon's priorities than showing some faith or loyalty towards the MFC.

Tipped us against Richmond, what has tips got to do with loyalty :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ok, now I understand... tipping = loyalty.

Righteo then.

• Like 2

This could be the worst thread in Demonland history.

Points so far have included that Garry Lyon can get stuffed because he thinks Hawthorn (the best team of the past 3 years) will comfortably beat us (the worst team of the last 3 years) and that only tipping us once in recent history (which is factually incorrect) means he isn't loyal.

Do these people actually believe what they've written, or have I fallen for a prank?

The bloke is Melbourne through and through. Show some respect.

• Like 9

Hhow about brad green going to hospital with a d amages wind pipe, also troy Simmons knock out by long with a hip to the head, so thats two in one grand final,go back and look at every grand final sheedy coached the bombers, they are full of fights and attempts to knock players out.

Too true. Most of the Essendon GF's have had knock outs.

Troy Simmonds in 2000 as you mentioned.

And in 1983 Tim Watson was knocked out by Colin Robertson, and then 1984 Kevin Walsh was put to sleep by Dipper, although I'm not going to blame Sheedy for those two incidents.

This could be the worst thread in Demonland history.

Points so far have included that Garry Lyon can get stuffed because he thinks Hawthorn (the best team of the past 3 years) will comfortably beat us (the worst team of the last 3 years) and that only tipping us once in recent history (which is factually incorrect) means he isn't loyal.

Do these people actually believe what they've written, or have I fallen for a prank?

The bloke is Melbourne through and through. Show some respect.

I think you will find much worse threads...

Just getting really tired of this mug.. Watched a little clip of Barret and the hairy one discussing the acts of thuggery displayed by Hodge and Lewis on the weekend, Hairy Garry said they should miss 3, "they have GWS and Melbourne coming up, so it won't hurt them too much". Now it might be true, but how about some support you ungrateful piece of crap!

Sick of it! Without the MFC you would be nothing! Poor Jimma had to just about twist your arm to help us when he was on his death bed, not to mention your unwillingness to deter from your self centred view on life, and how you only want to focus on your media career.

You are a selfish, unappreciative, spoilt snipper, and it hurts, because you used to be my hero.

GFY GARRY!!

I am 100% with you on this one Jesse Christ.

To all you saying its being too sensitive, can't handle the truth,, blah, blah blah - this is absolute bulldust because it is a prediction of future events - not something in the past - and typical of our loser mentality.

This club needs to boost its self-confidence and its self-belief. Not naysayers prediciting a gloomy future.

The best thing Roos bought to the club is belief, belief, belief. If any player thinks they can't beat hawthorn then maybe they shouldn't show up. Was this the same mentality in the 1988 GF?

All melbourne supporters with a high public profile owe it to the club to instill belief in its supporters on the public stage and should pay much more attention to what they say.,

Would Eddie McGuire ever say something like that??? No, because he is a true leader. Even if Collingwood was on the bottom of the ladder winless, he would say they would give em a tuff run for their money or the likes.

Perception is everything in the media, and the perception is Garry should show more blind faith in Melbourne and spread more belief.

I remember an interview with Lyon back in his playing days saying the number one reason he plays is for the money,his nickname back then was dollars.That may show where his true loyalties belong.

I remember an interview with Lyon back in his playing days saying the number one reason he plays is for the money,his nickname back then was dollars.That may show where his true loyalties belong.

I'm sure he could have made more money at a club aside from the Dees back in his playing days.

This thread is rubbish. There have been countless times on the Footy Show and other shows that Gaz has appeared on, where people have had a dig at the Demons and he has stood up for them. I'm not a fan of the decisions made when he had input, but that is what can happen when someone is roped into something that they aren't keen to be a part of.

He is still a Melbourne supporter like any of us. Heck, he played for the club and spent a good chunk of his life there - his pain over the last few years might have been a lot worse than what most of us have felt.

To all you saying its being too sensitive, can't handle the truth,, blah, blah blah - this is absolute bulldust because it is a prediction of future events - not something in the past - and typical of our loser mentality.

This club needs to boost its self-confidence and its self-belief. Not naysayers prediciting a gloomy future.

The best thing Roos bought to the club is belief, belief, belief. If any player thinks they can't beat hawthorn then maybe they shouldn't show up. Was this the same mentality in the 1988 GF?

All melbourne supporters with a high public profile owe it to the club to instill belief in its supporters on the public stage and should pay much more attention to what they say.,

Would Eddie McGuire ever say something like that??? No, because he is a true leader. Even if Collingwood was on the bottom of the ladder winless, he would say they would give em a tuff run for their money or the likes.

Perception is everything in the media, and the perception is Garry should show more blind faith in Melbourne and spread more belief.

Oh gosh this gets even funnier!

Two difference. Eddie has a big role to play at the club.. he is the president

Garry is a media personality. He has nothing to do with the club so he can say what he likes its his job.

Some people are so dam clueless

• Like 2

I think there are more people criticising Eddie McGuire for not being impartial in his media role than criticise Garry Lyon for trying to be impartial.

Edit: typo

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 1

All this because he didn't tip Melbourne/said we'd lose to the best team in the comp?

I assume David Neitz will be secretly working against the Hawks when we play them in 2 weeks then?

People keep comparing him to Eddie....who is currently president of his club.

His role in the media is to analyse footy, not sure how long he'd last if he started sacrificing common sense to please a few disgruntled dees supporters.

To those spruiking loyalty, come on here at half time of a game when we're down by 6 goals. Most people on here have half our team lined up in the gallows.The other half are personally abused and have their character assassinated.....talk about loyalty.

There are a few people on here have a ridiculous notion that Garry should be solely responsible for saving our club. Get over it.

• Like 1

Load of BS, Lyon turned down a Richmond offer in 1992 that was far bigger than the Melbourne offer, His nickname is dollars because his parents won tatts. All you morons bagging Lyon havn't done jack for this club compared to Lyon. He deserves a hell of a lot more respect than he gets around here

Eddie wouldn't and Eddie is lambasted by all and sundry on a regular basis for being too conflicted. His calling of Collingwood games has been ridiculed because of his blatant bias.

I like Eddie ( i think i might be one of the few) because of his passion for his club - but he is a standing joke on his televised views on anything that touches on Collingwood.

I believe GL has passion for Melbourne but tries his darndest not to be "Eddie" on the TV when it comes to his views.

• Like 5

Absolutely laughable!!

GL gave his all for the club when he was playing (at great personal expense physically) and he has gone on offering his help when required (even if not always welcomed). He owes the club nothing, zilch, zip, zero, nada... If anything, the club owes him. Our club needs to lift their performances as a thank you for the service given to them over the years by the greats such as Lyon, Flower, Schwarz, Stynes, Neitz, Wight etc, all gave until they could give no more, for little or no reward.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 3

What a shith#use thread.

Old mate that started the thread, you tube some of Garry Lyons on field exploits. You tube his Jimmy Stynes eulogy. Then tell us, is that the mark of a man that doesn't love his Club?

• Like 4

Jonathon Brown tipped WC to beat Brisbane last week. I assume that mean's he doesn't love his club either?

Let's just get all media personalities to be totally biased towards their own clubs and push their own agendas. I'm sure the response from the public will be overwhelmingly positive.

• Like 2

The Ox is an interesting example - he calls it as he sees it - but he wears his heart on his sleeve more than GL.

He has said things that to me are not in the best interest of the club but it is patently clear how hurt/angry he gets when we perform poorly and how pumped he is when we do well.

He keeps his passion in check, keeps his comment balanced even to the detriment of the club but I don't doubt for a moment what the MFC means to him.

• Like 2

The Ox is an interesting example - he calls it as he sees it - but he wears his heart on his sleeve more than GL.

He has said things that to me are not in the best interest of the club but it is patently clear how hurt/angry he gets when we perform poorly and how pumped he is when we do well.

He keeps his passion in check, keeps his comment balanced even to the detriment of the club but I don't doubt for a moment what the MFC means to him.

The article The Ox wrote in The Geelong Advertiser a few years ago was as passionate as one could get.

It hurt to read it but i knew he was so right...

I have been a member of this club for over 30 years and Garry Lyon is arguably the greatest player I have seen wear our jumper in this time (no disrespect to R.Flower, but I only witnessed the tail end of his career). Garry is clearly the best captain (and by a long margin) that we have had in that period and is rightfully a member of our hall of fame.

Considering Garry retired 16 years ago, I think most people with a half brain would consider he is well within his rights to have moved on to a new career to which he can dedicate himself fully without fear of offending delicate little petals such as the opening poster.

Some of the crap that gets thrown Garry's way, plenty of it from people who probably weren't even born when he was in his prime, is pathetic and offensive. The moderators of the board would do well to give a holiday to people who are so disrespectful to the champions of the club.

• Like 1

I have been a member of this club for over 30 years and Garry Lyon is arguably the greatest player I have seen wear our jumper in this time (no disrespect to R.Flower, but I only witnessed the tail end of his career). Garry is clearly the best captain (and by a long margin) that we have had in that period and is rightfully a member of our hall of fame.

Considering Garry retired 16 years ago, I think most people with a half brain would consider he is well within his rights to have moved on to a new career to which he can dedicate himself fully without fear of offending delicate little petals such as the opening poster.

Some of the crap that gets thrown Garry's way, plenty of it from people who probably weren't even born when he was in his prime, is pathetic and offensive. The moderators of the board would do well to give a holiday to people who are so disrespectful to the champions of the club.

The MFC's greatest players that I have seen would be Barrassi then Flower then Lyon. Courage, skill, determination. Barrassi loses points for leaving the club. Flower was the best to watch. Lyon could have been a superstar.

• Like 1