Stop The Jack Watts Trade Now!!!

Tex

We need to shed some skin and get rid of Watts. What the hell have we got to lose? I mean seriously. watching a skilful player who can't lay tackles consistently, who is just ordinary one on one is getting too hard. He is a fair example of why we keep losing,

would be better for both parties to part ways. happy to trade for steak knives or hopefully a bit better.

• Like 2

And for the love of god, can we stop creating a new thread for every second rumour that we hear?

This is an unsubstantiated rumour about a 'potential trade', just post it in the potential trades thread.

pretty sure there was a thread just for that

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37345-the-tradedraft-rumour-mill-2014/

Edited by Hellfish

No issue with this whatsoever if it does happen.
I think the club mismanaged Jack horribly to start off with. I don't view the trade as a 'punishment' in the slightest.
Who did what wrong or who is to blame is irrelevant.
Jack could do with a fresh start where he is not branded 'the future of the club' from day 1.

If he were to go to the Suns, he would have at 5 or more blokes in front of him as far as natural talent goes. He would also have 1/6th of the media spotlight on him as well.
I thought Jack might start becoming the player we thought he would be this year but not a great deal changed.
Let's just say the situation didn't work on both ends and call it a day.

No issue with this whatsoever if it does happen.

I think the club mismanaged Jack horribly to start off with. I don't view the trade as a 'punishment' in the slightest.

Who did what wrong or who is to blame is irrelevant.

Jack could do with a fresh start where he is not branded 'the future of the club' from day 1.

If he were to go to the Suns, he would have at 5 or more blokes in front of him as far as natural talent goes. He would also have 1/6th of the media spotlight on him as well.

I thought Jack might start becoming the player we thought he would be this year but not a great deal changed.

Let's just say the situation didn't work on both ends and call it a day.

I trust you're not in the "don't trade Trengove, he's way too loyal" camp, CBF.

I hate this if the rumour is true. Loyalty is a material consideration IMO, as is class, and he has both.

Ron I just don't know if loyalty is, or rather should be, a material consideration. We need to be heartless; carrying a sub-par player on the basis of the fact they 'stuck with us in the tough times' is a sure fire way to build a club of legend blokes and mediocre footy players.

As I have said I'm disappointed Trengove has been put up for trade and IMO Watts should be traded before Trenners. Watts had minimal if any improvement last year and really it just isn't going to happen, he just doesn't have the desire to make it at this level

Personally if we are trading our Jacks out of the Club, I would rather see co-captain Jack Grimes as the first to be traded. To me, both Watts and Trengove have too much latent potential which I would hate to see emerge at another Club.

p.s. Jack Fitzpatrick is other Jack with a big upside who fits into the same category.

• Like 3

Personally if we are trading our Jacks out of the Club, I would rather see co-captain Jack Grimes as the first to be traded. To me, both Watts and Trengove have too much latent potential which I would hate to see emerge at another Club.

p.s. Jack Fitzpatrick is other Jack with a big upside who fits into the same category.

Ahh the old "potential" trick.

Watts has potential

Trengove has potential

So did Juice Newton, Cale Morton, Gysberts, Scully, Tapscott, Blease, Strauss, Lucas Cook...

Shall I continue?

• Like 2

I have it on good authority that the MFC are shopping Jack Watts around, with Adelaide and Gold Coast the leading contenders.

I cannot believe we are seriously considering trading Jack.

If the MFC could properly develop Jack he will be an out and out A Grader.

Jack needs to be locked inside a gym for the whole of pre-season and force feed to build his frame.

The only thing Jack needs to be a gun is muscle and strength.

He has elite skills and elite vision.

He needs to be up around the 98 kg mark and he will dominate games as a key mobile forward.

I also have it on good authority that he doesn't want to be traded and that he wants to stay a Demon, unlike others.

As such we need to keep players that actually want to stay at the club, as this may prove difficult moving forward.

I will be furious if we trade Jack against his will when it's been our fault that we haven't been able to properly develop him to his optimum.

Is it our fault that he is scared of contact, more so than any player I can recall?

• Like 2

Personifies everything we're trying to move on from. Not hard enough at the ball, doesn't put his body on the line, jogs halfarsedly from contest to contest but provides no legitimate leads, and falls over at the faintest sign of a breeze.

Love his community work though.

I agree with you, he's sure no tough guy.

I'm curious what others think about him supposedly providing no legitimate leads though:

Living in Los Angeles I mostly watch on tv, but in the live games I've seen, Watts provided so many legitimate leads to space, yet was ignored. With his great uncontested marking, speed and disposal, players should be instructed to honor his leads to space more. Just because he's weaker when it comes down to the biff, is no reason not to use him when he's out on his own. I suspect he'd be great for Hawthorn amongst their pinpoint passing, or for us if we could develop those skills.

• Like 2

This forum polarises on Jack Watts, and to me the polarities are not that much different to the two differing styles of Neeld and Roos. I rejoiced at the appointment of Roos, thinking it meant a shift towards people-aware respectful solidarity as a club, players-and-coach working together to build and grow. An end to disrespect. The arrival of can-do and encouragement and building the sort of esprit that Norm Smith fostered.

To me, this news is like a litmus test of philosophy.

Very disappointed if it turns out Roos can't see the significance to our culture of retaining and developing the latent talent of Jack Watts.

I remember thinking during the dark days of Neeld that if the club failed to value or develop Jurrah and Watts, or hounded them out along with Brad Green, I was through with the whole thing. Went very close to giving it all away, then.

It becomes obvious that the old-fashioned supporter, who thinks in terms of players and loyalty, is really out of touch with the new AFL landscape.

I see it as a sort of corporatised pragmatism, and I hate it. It makes me think of economic rationalism being applied to the world of sport. Just about as repugnant as Essendon's cheating - abandoning drug-free principles in the pursuit of success being in my mind just about matched by abandoning respect for individuals of ability and loyalty. I know how hopeless it is to hang on too long to a player who is past it, or is never going to make it, but I'd hope for a good coach to be able to make some difference. Success at the price we are apparently willing to pay is not all that appealing to me - the price seems too high. I want success, but not if it means a Neeld approach is applied to anyone. I'm not sure I belong in this club.

All very disillusioning, I think.

Edited by robbiefrom13
  • Like 3

This forum polarises on Jack Watts, and to me the polarities are not that much different to the two differing styles of Neeld and Roos. I rejoiced at the appointment of Roos, thinking it meant a shift towards people-aware respectful solidarity as a club, players-and-coach working together to build and grow. An end to disrespect. The arrival of can-do and encouragement and building the sort of esprit that Norm Smith fostered.

To me, this news is like a litmus test of philosophy.

Very disappointed if it turns out Roos can't see the significance to our culture of retaining and developing the latent talent of Jack Watts.

I remember thinking during the dark days of Neeld that if the club failed to value or develop Jurrah and Watts, or hounded them out along with Brad Green, I was through with the whole thing. Went very close to giving it all away, then.

It becomes obvious that the old-fashioned supporter, who thinks in terms of players and loyalty, is really out of touch with the new AFL landscape.

I see it as a sort of corporatised pragmatism, and I hate it. It makes me think of economic rationalism being applied to the world of sport. Just about as repugnant as Essendon's cheating - abandoning drug-free principles in the pursuit of success being in my mind just about matched by abandoning respect for individuals of ability and loyalty. I know how hopeless it is to hang on too long to a player who is past it, or is never going to make it, but I'd hope for a good coach to be able to make some difference. Success at the price we are apparently willing to pay is not all that appealing to me - the price seems too high. I want success, but not if it means a Neeld approach is applied to anyone. I'm not sure I belong in this club.

All very disillusioning, I think.

Its not his talent that needs developing. Roos was his last chance, play your role, play for the team, Watts still decides when he will or wont compete. Roos knows the type of players that it takes to win finals and mentally/physically weak ones aren't on the list. He was given every chance, more than most.
  • Like 1

Ahh the old "potential" trick.

Watts has potential

Trengove has potential

So did Juice Newton, Cale Morton, Gysberts, Scully, Tapscott, Blease, Strauss, Lucas Cook...

Shall I continue?

So I gather that you are a massive advocate of keeping Grimes ahead of the other three Jacks (which was my point in case you missed it)?

So I gather that you are a massive advocate of keeping Grimes ahead of the other three Jacks (which was my point in case you missed it)?

Of course I am. He has potential :P

I kid I kid. I do agree Grimes' kicking is quite bad. But well, he's our captain. Nuff said.

Of course I am. He has potential :P

I kid I kid. I do agree Grimes' kicking is quite bad. But well, he's our captain. Nuff said.

No reason that his status as captain should preclude him being traded if it is the best for the Club. I would be more than happy for N. Jones as our sole captain.

p.s. I like the irony of you featuring Jack Watts' jumper on your avatar.

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 1

He personifies everything I have grown frustrated with about the club since 2000. Inconsistent and a generally displays an unforgiveable lack of intensity around the contest. Trade him and draft a player who attacks the footy and the man

• Like 1