Jordan De Goey

FarNorthernD

If Roos is looking to repeat last years trick by trading out pick 2 (or 3) for an established player with a lower first round kickback then perhaps he maybe looking at Jordan De Goey to be this years Chris Salem.

According to the TAC Cup Grand Final thread Jordan impressed in todays game. He is also a Paul Roos sized mid at 187cm, 82 kg.

Apparently he missed the first half of the season due to a broken finger so is coming from a way back.

Going by his highlights he can kick over over jam jar with both feet.

Nice highlight! Not only does he know how to find the ball but he uses it very effectively!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After this years draft they have implemented a height restriction ?

Funny. Next year is considered the Midfielders draft, not a KPF one.

Funny. Next year is considered the Midfielders draft, not a KPF one.

The experts never get the current draft right assessing under 18 footballers and we are relying on assessments regarding under 17 footballers ! Holy crap on a skewer..

I know, I just find this newfound love for him amusing.

be someone elses turn next week !!

• Like 1

you need to realise that love is a fluid thing - depending on which paper/expert/poster with credible rumours you listen to.

I know. It's just we've barely heard his name, then this.

Except for when I raised his name as a possibility for pick 3 a couple of weeks ago, to derision by those that know better.

• Like 1

Except for when I raised his name as a possibility for pick 3 a couple of weeks ago, to derision by those that know better.

...but 'Machsy' you would have been credible if you said you had an inside source. lol

• Like 3

i retract my love for DeGoey - how can we go past Dillon Viojo Rainbow....come on.......

Watch Rainbow end up at Collingwod.. It's like the draft players with catchy surnames hoping one becomes an a-grade cult figure and can market him through his name.

Rainbow coloured footballs.

Rainbow coloured boots.

The possibilities are endless!

• Like 1

I love all the kids in the draft equally. That way you can't be disappointed when we chose one of them!

That said I'd have this guy as the 3rd best inside midfield prospect (behind picks 1 and 2) even though he's often been a flanker at junior level. He's got all the attributes to mix it with the big boys unlike the other outside types in the top 15 or so (and all the talls of course).

So if we are drafting for need and trying to build the team from inside players out wards (which I'm not sure is a legit theory anyway but roll with it) then he'd have to be heavily considered.

^^ I am torn on who I'd prefer.

I just hope that there won't be a case of regret on who we don't pick (like every other year, barring last).

Good luck recruiting team, I've got all fingers and toes crossed in hope.

Edited by Wormburner

Good kid but not for a top 3 Pick.

I reckon he will be a tiger at pick 12.

I don't get this logic. Any player our recruiters, coaches and footy department picks at 2,3 or 40 could be guns or duds, its a number and pick 3 or pick 12 makes stuff all difference down the track if they recruit the kid they see with the most development in them.

• Like 3

I don't get this logic. Any player our recruiters, coaches and footy department picks at 2,3 or 40 could be guns or duds, its a number and pick 3 or pick 12 makes stuff all difference down the track if they recruit the kid they see with the most development in them.

I think you answered your own question. As good as De Goey is I think the common school of thought is he's not that fast, not huge for a midfielder, not dominant at the clearances, doesn't win 30 touches every week etc. So he might have limited development. A key forward who can become a top liner has a lot more. Same with a midfielder with top pace or perfect skills.

It's hard though. You look at Sydney. Rohan and Jetta in the first round. It's very hard to find players with that potential. Parker at pick 40, standard tough inside midfielder, standard size, seems to have solid marking skills. Turns our Parker can out mark a heap of players in the AFL as well as being not just a standard inside mid but a bull and also pretty good around the ground. Rohan and Jetta still have all the talent to do amazing things but couldn't buy a kick between them on grand final day. But Brad Hill and Isaac Smith are instrumental players for Hawthorn and they gave up a first round pick for McEvoy and traded for 30+ Brian Lake because without those key structural players it's hard to win big games as well.

The main thing for our pick 3 is to find a player who will be at a high level at their position instead of comparing across positions. We can always trade for deficiencies like with Lumumba and Garlett. Cheap pick ups who arent great players in isolation but can fill needs and can play well at their peak.

• Like 3