Free agent - James Frawley (to Cats)

Minus 9 off main list

Rookie upgrade - Nev Jetta (pick 77)

Trades - Crows trade Jarryd Lyons for Luke Tapscott

Trade - Dogs give pick 63 for Jack Fitzpatrick

Trade - Cats trade Jordan Schroder for Sam Blease

Trade - Swans trade Sam Reid for pick 23 & James Strauss

National Draft

#2 Christian Petracca (Eastern) 18 star onballer, inside grunt and good pace, kick 50+ and loves a goal. Strong build.

#3 Liam Duggan (Western) 18 highly skilled, tough, half back, kicks 55+ left footer, smart player

#41 Billy Stretch (father son) 18 ... fast outside wingman

# 49 Brett Eddy (SA Sth Adel ) 23 ... smart half fwd goalkicker, like Jack Gunston type.

#59 Josh Glenn(SA Centrals) 20 ... smart wing/half fwd, left footer, Isaac Smith type

# 63 Tom Wilkinson (Sandringham) 18 ,,, fast and athletic. Wins footy and gets fwd to kick goals

Rookie draft -

#2 Oscar McDonald (Nth balarat) 19 brother of Tom. Likes it hard and shows courage and competitiveness

# 20 Sam Grimley (Hawks)22 fwd/ruckman. Groom to support gawn over next 3-4 years. Good kicker when fwd

#38 Tom Shanahan (East Perth) 19 hard running midfielder

Tall Backs - Mcdonald, Garland, Dunn (Georgiou) (O Mcdonald)

Small/med backs: Jetta, Grimes, Malcevski, Duggan, ... Hunt, Terlich, Barry

Inside mids - Jones, Viney, Trengove, Petracca, Lyons, Cross, Riley ...McKenzie, (Harmes)

Running mids - Tyson, Vince, Toumpas, Salem, Glenn, Michie, M Jones, Stretch, Bail, Wilkinson (Shanahan)

Tall fwds - Dawes, Hogan, Reid, Pedersen

Med fwds - Howe, Watts, Eddy

Small fwds - Kent, Schroder, JKH

Rucks - Jamar, gawn, Spencer (Grimley)

A number of errors in the post above:

- Clisby is on the main list, not a rookie.

- You have us picking up more players (10 main list, 3 rookies) than we get rid of (10 main list, 2 rookies)

- You haven't explained where pick 49 comes from.

As you've said above, it's probably optimistic. My two cents:

- You've traded out Fitzpatrick for pick 63 and have drafted Grimley at p.20 in the rookie draft? Considering they play the same role I just don't see the logic in this. Why wouldn't the bulldogs just trade p.63 for Grimley? (I think you've criminally undervalued Grimley btw - yeah he's probably last in line at the Hawks, doesn't mean they'll get rid of him)

- I would think both Strauss and Tapscott have very limited trade potential. Both have a history of injuries, have played minimal games at the perennial cellar dweller and have been underwhelming when they've played at the top level.

- Billy Stretch is more likely to be our 2nd rounder than our 3rd. I think you've got Duggan 10-20 places to high and O.Mcdonald a bit too low.

Otherwise a decent effort.

All right, in the spirit of cards on the table, I'll have a go too. I imagine most of the thinking will be similar.

Retired; Clark, Byrnes.

Delistings/token trades: Strauss, Blease, Tapscott, Evans, Nicholson

Possible trades; Spencer, Fitzpatrick

Free Agent loss: Frawley

Rookie upgrade: Neville Jetta

Rookie 'downgrade': Clisby

For a net change of at least 8 open positions on the list.

Pick 2 traded for a quality young-mature player, ideally a goal-kicking midfielder such as Luke Parker, Stephen Hill, Steele Sidebottom. It would be a dream to build a package that got us a late round 1 pick or early second round pick back.

2nd round -

I believe that if we do get a priority pick or a free agency compensation pick, they will land at the end of the first round/start of second.

Thankfully, there are a lot of promising players who may well still be available at those picks, ranging from

Midfielders like Duggan, De Goey, Maynard, Blakely, and Ellis.

Key position players like Lamb, McKenzie, Goddard, and Marchbank.

The options are there and we only need a couple to slip to us.

3rd round and later -

I'm thinking we'll be lucky enough to take Stretch in the 3rd round.

My main concern is that there aren't a lot of great new ruck options, which is an area we still look weak for the near future.

A couple of key position players 'who can relief ruck' are floating around in mid-late draft, and I'd imagine we'd be considering grabbing a mature-age ruckman with a very late pick.

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere, but I found it interesting that this article on the AFL website already has Nicholson, Evans, Strauss and Blease as delisted:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-27/the-washup-melbourne

I think that was just the writer's predictions. Reinforcing my belief is that fact that he has thrown a contracted player, Evans, in there.

I'll give you credit in that your trades do have some basis in reality, unlike others claiming the Dogs would cough up Pick 6 for Watts and a 2nd rounder.

These trades have no basis in reality. They are all "trade our junk for a promising player" type deals. With the exception of the Fitzpatrick deal, they would all be laughed at.

• Like 1

Given Roos call for midfield talent, I assume that we might hold pick 2 and 3. Not sure which onball midfield star we could attract so ran with trade with Sam Reid as our big win. I do like the addition of Petracca and Brayshaw to the mids. Makes us look more potent.

I have updated the main post given Bail and Terlich resigned (not surprising but imagine both are seen as foot soldiers, albeit reached their peak as just average types).

DFA Ryan O'Keefe, just read the article on AFL page, he is the exact type of person we need in our club even if it is only for one year. Don't care that he turns 34 next year, add him to Cross these are the type of leaders we need at our club.

John Longmire's quote" his will to win" that is exactly what we need to install in our playing group

Given Roos call for midfield talent, I assume that we might hold pick 2 and 3. Not sure which onball midfield star we could attract so ran with trade with Sam Reid as our big win. I do like the addition of Petracca and Brayshaw to the mids. Makes us look more potent.

Why do we have an expectation of potency because we have added to kids to our midfield with zero AFL experience. For every Wines who hits the ground running I will give you 10 other draftees who are still playing in the magoos or having limited impact.

I would like to opt for one of two and then do a Tyson/ pick 9 deal for the other pick

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

It is ironic that the current #2, Jones's career is tracking very similar to Robbie Flower's: Champion player, gives his all to the jumper and the club in a bottom team that has been entrenched at the bottom for many years with only a small glimmer of hope over the next few years.

I hope the love and adoration Robbie is receiving today, as being a one club player and sticking fat helps Jones want to emulate the great man and sign his next contract really soon. He will become the Demons legend of his generation - a one club player who wasn't tempted by $$ or 'success'!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...