Priority Pick

Striker475

I think giving the Dees a Priority Pick would be a great thing for AFL trade week. The MFC are ready to bring in the required players to make them competitive, and I cannot see Roos and Co sitting on an extra pick. If we land pick 2, 3(compo) and lets say an end of the 1st rounder, I can see the dees parting with 2 of these 3 picks to make some big deals happen. We are not a free agency destination for players, so I think the easiest way to improve is going to be on the trade table. The dees will be aggressive come trade week, and extra pick helps the dees talk about more deals, which will grease the wheel for trade week.

ame="olisik" post="968508" timestamp="1407575082"]

I can confirm that Scully is having his heart replaced with a pea.

I heard at first he wasn't sure about the surgery but after his old mate Cale Morton told him he had the surgery and it worked okay in terms of turning him into a total soft [censored]

he decided to go ahead with it

IMO an end of first round pick would be fair.

It should happen but won't happen.

Not with the current Football Boss. He will declare that Barry will be a star, Salem and Toumpas will win consecutive Brownlows and Roos in his second year will be heading to the finals with us.

I reckon Gillon would be happy to give us one though.

If we don't get one, they should declare the PP dead and buried.

• Like 1

IMO an end of first round pick would be fair.

It should happen but won't happen.

I don't know what's fair about it, yes it might appease opposition clubs but if you wanted to take a totally impartial view at the situation then we would have to get at least one start of first round pick, maybe 2. Not saying it will happen but to be fair it should.

Not with the current Football Boss. He will declare that Barry will be a star, Salem and Toumpas will win consecutive Brownlows and Roos in his second year will be heading to the finals with us.

I reckon the real question is whether our President, CEO and board have the balls to make a submission for draft assistance at the end of the season.

Firstly, there is a view among some that philosophically it's not the right thing to do because it invokes the memories of tanking and a losing mentality that goes with that period - a view which has been given further currency as a result of Paul Roos' remarks after last week's Brisbane Lions game.

Secondly, the experience of last year when we applied after seven lean years only to have the other clubs, led by Hawthorn and Collingwood (who were supposed to be championing the cause of evening out the competition). They successfully lobbied the AFL and made no secret of connecting their opposition to the tanking inquiry and, as a result, we missed out on draft assistance despite it being available in the AFL's books. This was yet another punishment for the tanking that was said to have occurred four years earlier, for which we alone were investigated and were punished. Mark Evans' explanation as to why we didn't qualify was disingenuous. After all, we had Jesse Hogan in the wings and plenty of promising young players.

Well, we were told to come back if things didn't improve and we're going to finish 16th at best, making it 8 years in a row. I hope we don't get cowed out of applying and that the AFL follows its rule books and gives us the assistance it should be giving to clubs in our circumstances.

PJ has an obligation to see that we are in the best position when the trade and draft period commences. That includes availing the club of the benefits of the AFL's draft assistance rules.

We have won 10 games in 3 years.

If we didn't get one last year after winning 2 games it ain't coming now..

Exactly my thoughts jnr

And there is still a reasonable chance we could beat GWS next week.

Five wins this years vs two last year

No hope in my view.

• Like 1

I'm struggling to follow the logic of the Frawley compo pick coming at the highest category. Most likely a mid/end first round, which are both increment options under the system.

As for priority pick, well, obviously we 'deserve' it. Seven years of disaster and just pick 1 and pick 17 to show for it in terms of priority picks.

But the absence of transparency, and the football-politics of it, mean that we won't get anything because it would be a 'bad look'.

I can imagine we might, possibly, with luck, get an end of first round priority pick. Which would be interesting, possibly leaving us with

Pick 19 (Frawley compo)

Pick 20 (Priority Pick)

Pick 22 (second round pick)

Interesting position to be in.

I'm struggling to follow the logic of the Frawley compo pick coming at the highest category. Most likely a mid/end first round, which are both increment options under the system.

As for priority pick, well, obviously we 'deserve' it. Seven years of disaster and just pick 1 and pick 17 to show for it in terms of priority picks.

But the absence of transparency, and the football-politics of it, mean that we won't get anything because it would be a 'bad look'.

I can imagine we might, possibly, with luck, get an end of first round priority pick. Which would be interesting, possibly leaving us with

Pick 19 (Frawley compo)

Pick 20 (Priority Pick)

Could be LG, but Chip is still only 25, would command a contract of at least 5 yrs at about $750k pa and he's been an AA. Sounds to me like a high compo pick coming....

Could be LG, but Chip is still only 25, would command a contract of at least 5 yrs at about $750k pa and he's been an AA. Sounds to me like a high compo pick coming....

It is in my prays

• Like 1

we should insist redleg that if we don't get one the afl must abolish the pp for ever

Exactly my thoughts jnr

And there is still a reasonable chance we could beat GWS next week.

Five wins this years vs two last year

No hope in my view.

There is no way in the world GWS will win next week. They already tanked, got belted in the second half this weekend and are now below us on the ladder. They have sent 6 players off for surgery.

We are still the only team to win 5 games to deny ourselves a PPick - and we have done it twice! We'll do it a 3rd time for sure (even though the PP is virtually off the table in any case)

• Like 1

Pick 19 (Frawley compo)

Pick 20 (Priority Pick)

we will get band 1 compensation from Chip almost regardless of the deal, his age, standing within the team, our position on the ladder and so on all come into account, if the standard system doesn't achieve a result they deem fair, a different outcome can be recommended

the AFL will look after us with this i'd say, it's a good way to give us an extra top 5 pick without having the uproar of giving us a PP

perhaps a PP at the end of the first round might be a chance but I have my doubts

• Like 1

Maybe instead of a PP, the MFC could ask the AFL for two additional short term rookie spots and first dibs to "recruit" two former players as extra rookies, able to be upgraded, etc...

Clark and Jurrah.

Cinderella clause.

Oh to dream away the long winter(s) of our discontent...

Edited by PaulRB