Potential future at Melbourne University

Axis of Bob

Erm, when was that ever said? Toots said that discussions weren't advanced as what people said. He never mentioned international students not being interested. Besides that, no other UoM staff member has spoken here.

I know for a fact that Essendon are trying to tap into the international student market (probably due to the fact that international students are unaware of their dark past) as they have been posting up their propaganda at my work place (where lo and behold I teach aspiring Uni. of Melbourne international students).

please ...go back and reread this thread...I may not be addressing you alone

• Like 1

We set up a base in Casey as the new big growth area. What is the increase in memberships or revenues as a result?

One of the many things we did, we just forgot to win games of footy and that's the only real tangible thing that will increase membership.

• Like 2

please ...go back and reread this thread...I may not be addressing you alone

To be fair, Moonie did. However, while he does have some experience, I wouldn't say that his opinion is the be all and end all.

I will ask again then why are Essendon and Carlton reaching out to migrant communities?

To be fair, Moonie did. However, while he does have some experience, I wouldn't say that his opinion is the be all and end all.

I will ask again then why are Essendon and Carlton reaching out to migrant communities?

where did I say not to per se...its just WHERE and HOW.

You need to engage ppl a long time before university. You actually need to engage them before they step on a plane.

No one element is perfect but you have to co ordinate it all to be effective otherwise an isolated effort flounders.

As others suggest though the greatest gold mine of members are the disenfranchised past members,

Winning helps entice them

You need to engage ppl a long time before university. You actually need to engage them before they step on a plane.

No one element is perfect but you have to co ordinate it all to be effective otherwise an isolated effort flounders.

As others suggest though the greatest gold mine of members are the disenfranchised past members,

Winning helps entice them

I am confused over the first line. Are you suggesting that we try and win over people who are currently overseas? (Forgive me if I am being vague). I will call you on the first bit though. You said a few postsbefore hand that foreign born students have no interest in AFL (backed by what Moonie said) but I asked if that is the case, why is Essendon pursuing them (and why is Carlton working with asylum seeker communities)? You haven't really given a response to that. You are just too busy rubbishing other people's opinions.

I would agree with you on the 'one thing will fix all' mentality and have said so in this same thread. One gimmick won't change things. Go the Biff was the most accurate in saying that we should actually aim to play decent footy first and then aim to invade the world (in a marketing sense).

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I am confused over the first line. Are you suggesting that we try and win over people who are currently overseas? (Forgive me if I am being vague). I will call you on the first bit though. You said a few postsbefore hand that foreign born students have no interest in AFL (backed by what Moonie said) but I asked if that is the case, why is Essendon pursuing them (and why is Carlton working with asylum seeker communities)? You haven't really given a response to that. You are just too busy rubbishing other people's opinions.

I would agree with you on the 'one thing will fix all' mentality and have said so in this same thread. One gimmick won't change things. Go the Biff was the most accurate in saying that we should actually aim to play decent footy first and then aim to invade the world (in a marketing sense).

When migrants come here there are any number of info packages provided to them. Somewhere amongst it all ought to be us if they are coming to Melb. its not really that hard to follow surely

Fail to see how people are writing it off as they think international students show no interest in footy. No footy club has setup shop where they study before so its like saying kids who go to school here dont follow baseball.

I am sure if yankees setup shop at a school every damn kid in that school would become a yankees fan.

When migrants come here there are any number of info packages provided to them. Somewhere amongst it all ought to be us if they are coming to Melb. its not really that hard to follow surely

Can you actually answer my question? You said before and I quote: International students have no interest in AFL. I have said (for the THIRD time now) that Essendon are pursuing that market so there must be some kind of potential there (I still have the photo of their flyer on my phone, please don't make me post it). If it is such a waste of time, why are Essendon pursuing it? Or, on a similar note, why are Carlton working with the ASRC?

It's a simple question. Surely not too hard to follow.

Fail to see how people are writing it off as they think international students show no interest in footy. No footy club has setup shop where they study before so its like saying kids who go to school here dont follow baseball.

I am sure if yankees setup shop at a school every damn kid in that school would become a yankees fan.

It's simple.

Isn't it?

• Like 1

Can you actually answer my question? You said before and I quote: International students have no interest in AFL. I have said (for the THIRD time now) that Essendon are pursuing that market so there must be some kind of potential there (I still have the photo of their flyer on my phone, please don't make me post it). If it is such a waste of time, why are Essendon pursuing it? Or, on a similar note, why are Carlton working with the ASRC?

It's a simple question. Surely not too hard to follow.

Essendon take drugs... Carlton use brown paper bags How the f do i know why they want to pursue things in a non efficient manner ??

• Like 1

Essendon take drugs... Carlton use brown paper bags How the f do i know why they want to pursue things in a non efficient manner ??

Well, you can't argue with logic like that!

Dumb analogy. We are far from being the Yankees, despite what G Bartlett would like.

Most international students have no interest in AFL. Most local university students have little money to spare and pre-established football allegiances (if any). "Setting up shop" at their Uni to attract them would be a desperate act by a desperate club. If you surveyed international students (as most Uni's and student unions do) you'd see that they are largely not interested in the AFL.

Not going to happen.

Well, you can't argue with logic like that!

Carlton have a long established territory and have had schemes in place for ages. Probably something to do with that. Who knows how or why Essendon work.

All clubs seek new membership streams.What works for one may not apply to others due to demographics proximity , history ,success and any of a 100 other reasons.

I would suggest if you want to actually know why other clubs do things, ask THEM..

Why you would wait til a migrant gets here if thats your target is anyones guess.

Carlton have a long established territory and have had schemes in place for ages. Probably something to do with that. Who knows how or why Essendon work.

All clubs seek new membership streams.What works for one may not apply to others due to demographics proximity , history ,success and any of a 100 other reasons.

I would suggest if you want to actually know why other clubs do things, ask THEM..

Why you would wait til a migrant gets here if thats your target is anyones guess.

So you are saying we should focus our marketing efforts OS?

Dumb analogy. We are far from being the Yankees, despite what G Bartlett would like.

Most international students have no interest in AFL. Most local university students have little money to spare and pre-established football allegiances (if any). "Setting up shop" at their Uni to attract them would be a desperate act by a desperate club. If you surveyed international students (as most Uni's and student unions do) you'd see that they are largely not interested in the AFL.

Not going to happen.

The point of it was that the reason they may have no interest is due to the lack of exposure

That said I know many ex international students who do follow the code now as young professionals after being here for sometime and having exposure over the years.

And how is it a bad analogy? If yankees are that big then its pretty obvious why kids here dont care about them and thats the lack of exposure.

Edited by olisik

So you are saying we should focus our marketing efforts OS?

no at all..

its in a context...

focus infers a priority. our priority is to win games

no at all..

its in a context...

focus infers a priority. our priority is to win games

I will agree with you there but I think you should be a little more guarded in your statements and not talk in absolutes.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I will agree with you there but I think you should be a little more guarded in your statements and not talk in absolutes.

thankyou I'll take that advice...not

Regardless of the incredible debating prowess of Beezlebub and Ethan Tremblay, I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops. Think it's a good place to grow the brand, even if it's impractical to move our facilities there.

Regardless of the incredible debating prowess of Beezlebub and Ethan Tremblay, I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops. Think it's a good place to grow the brand, even if it's impractical to move our facilities there.

Please tell me how you envisage the brand growing from an exercise in joining in on some level regarding research and education of players ?

Disregard the Hun's fabricated hyberbole and address what is at least aceded to. How does this grow the brand ? How would you measure such growth and how would it benefit the club ?

Of course theres no ability to answer this as theres no design within this course of action by the club to do so.

It's not going to pan out at all because it's not going anywhere, it was about facilities. I would hope the management of the MFC are smarter than thinking the way forward is to tap into international uni students. It's laughable.