Potential future at Melbourne University

Axis of Bob

Agreed. Those domestic students that go to Melbourne Uni have long set their allegiance to a footy club. The vast majority of the internationals don't give a damn about footy and never will

Exactly, couldnt agree more.This aspect of the idea is a crock. Other aspects might prove worth investigating.

• Like 1

lol

and they have no idea of footy or any allegiance until they lob at Parkville and lo and behold turn into Demons

youre kidding yourself

I might ask you how Carlton got it's supporter base. Part of it was tapping into the migrant and Jewish communities who lived around Carlton and the student communities at the UoM. Success obviously helped but the former factors shouldn't be discounted.

To just say we shouldn't extend ourselves to any community is really short term thinking. You are right. No one expects anyone to turn around and become fanatical Demons. However, we would have access to that population on top of having established facilities where our admin. and playing sectors could be one close to the CBD. If anything, we have been very exclusionary and conservative since I have been a supporter. Time now to start extending ourselves and taking an interest in actual people.

Perhaps you might want to expand upon your theory of 'marketing and relevance'? I might ask you the same question you asked me. You want to market. Who to?

Agreed. Those domestic students that go to Melbourne Uni have long set their allegiance to a footy club. The vast majority of the internationals don't give a damn about footy and never will

I know a number of international students who support the hawks due to there proximity to Monash uni. These students are now signed up members and permanent residents.

I might ask you how Carlton got it's supporter base. Part of it was tapping into the migrant and Jewish communities who lived around Carlton and the student communities at the UoM. Success obviously helped but the former factors shouldn't be discounted.

To just say we shouldn't extend ourselves to any community is really short term thinking. You are right. No one expects anyone to turn around and become fanatical Demons. However, we would have access to that population on top of having established facilities where our admin. and playing sectors could be one close to the CBD. If anything, we have been very exclusionary and conservative since I have been a supporter. Time now to start extending ourselves and taking an interest in actual people.

Perhaps you might want to expand upon your theory of 'marketing and relevance'? I might ask you the same question you asked me. You want to market. Who to?

That was a whole different time...middle of last f'n century actually.. Back then people invested of themselves into the area they lived. Barracking was parochial.

Meanwhile turn the wayback machine to 2014 and those that attend a Uni actually LIVE all over the joint.Some internationals and country may reside close for convenience but I could bet choosing a footy team based upon any such proximity is tenuous at best and more likely comically remote

• Like 1

Makes sence to target young students who have no current allegiances and are from wealthy families. It also could be used to attract athletes internationally to apply for scholarships and work hand in hand in setting up an academy.

Who? The international students who come here for a degree?

You're kidding yourself. Sorry but I'm a realist.

You obviously dont understand the meaning of permanent residency...

Makes sence to target young students who have no current allegiances and are from wealthy families. It also could be used to attract athletes internationally to apply for scholarships and work hand in hand in setting up an academy.

not sure if serious :huh:

That was a whole different time...middle of last f'n century actually.. Back then people invested of themselves into the area they lived. Barracking was parochial.

Meanwhile turn the wayback machine to 2014 and those that attend a Uni actually LIVE all over the joint.Some internationals and country may reside close for convenience but I could bet choosing a footy team based upon any such proximity is tenuous at best and more likely comically remote

Absolutely spot on. People are getting far too ahead of themselves.

• Like 1

Why is that?

They are young and will be funding the club for a good 50 years.

And they may have kids one day who (should current trends maintain) end up barracking for the Hawks.

A lot of the discussion here shows yet again the cargo cult mentality that a lot of us have here. That one thing which will bring instant results will cure all.

If we do move to the UoM, will it bring us 1000's of supporters overnight, fix Trenners' foot and make us win the next twenty premierships? No. It will take years.

If I recall correctly, people were whinging about Hawthorn being out at Arctic Park in the 90's and how they were wasting their time. Turns out it was one of the smartest decisions they ever made as it gave them a base out in the South Eastern suburbs that provides most of their support base. Flags help but that army of supporters didn't magically appear as soon as the Hawks moved to Waverley.

That being said, we should be developing that base out at Casey....

You obviously dont understand the meaning of permanent residency...

No need to be rude because people have a difference of opinion.

I go to uni (albeit in WA) and we have a close affiliation with Fremantle FC. The overseas students could not care less about AFL. That won't change regardless of building facilities at a Uni or not.

Absolutely spot on. People are getting far too ahead of themselves.

Obvuously what we are doing now isnt working. We have been near the bottom of the ladder for close to a decade and cant even pay our full salary cap yey people want things to remain as is.

Its time to tap into a new market, fresh market of young students which many actually live in Melbourne and want to get involved in thr countries culture and sports.

I suggest those getting ahead may wish to revisit TOOT's post a little earlier

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36808-potential-future-at-melbourne-uni/?p=950566

And what about the migrant communities? You were saying that the international student community would not follow footy. What makes them so different to the migrants who barrack for Carlton? (who by the way provide the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre with free tickets to matches.)

Again I will ask you, you say that we should rely on the vague terms of 'relevance and marketing' (part of which is that we should put up a billboard outside the airport). Who exactly do you want us to market to?

No need to be rude because people have a difference of opinion.

I go to uni (albeit in WA) and we have a close affiliation with Fremantle FC. The overseas students could not care less about AFL. That won't change regardless of building facilities at a Uni or not.

Well you were commenting on friends of mine ignorently.

That said afl is more prevalent in Victoria and many I know get involved as they have become young professionals.

And they may have kids one day who (should current trends maintain) end up barracking for the Hawks.

A lot of the discussion here shows yet again the cargo cult mentality that a lot of us have here. That one thing which will bring instant results will cure all.

If we do move to the UoM, will it bring us 1000's of supporters overnight, fix Trenners' foot and make us win the next twenty premierships? No. It will take years.

If I recall correctly, people were whinging about Hawthorn being out at Arctic Park in the 90's and how they were wasting their time. Turns out it was one of the smartest decisions they ever made as it gave them a base out in the South Eastern suburbs that provides most of their support base. Flags help but that army of supporters didn't magically appear as soon as the Hawks moved to Waverley.

That being said, we should be developing that base out at Casey....

What study are you basing your comment of "..bring us 1000's of supporters overnight"? I realise your probably being facetious with the overnight comment however it's just a silly call.

Going to a uni won't change a thing. Success on field will.

And what about the migrant communities? You were saying that the international student community would not follow footy. What makes them so different to the migrants who barrack for Carlton? (who by the way provide the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre with free tickets to matches.)

Again I will ask you, you say that we should rely on the vague terms of 'relevance and marketing' (part of which is that we should put up a billboard outside the airport). Who exactly do you want us to market to?

Lets bring you up to speed.

Bartlett recently suggested we needed to thing bigger. Make attending a Melbourne game all part of the Melbourne experience. Advertising who we are as they stream towards this town is just such an exercise in brand building and idea seeding.

Lots of asylum seekers at Uni huh ...

Well you were commenting on friends of mine ignorently.

That said afl is more prevalent in Victoria and many I know get involved as they have become young professionals.

Have you lived in WA?

Lets bring you up to speed.

Bartlett recently suggested we needed to thing bigger. Make attending a Melbourne game all part of the Melbourne experience. Advertising who we are as they stream towards this town is just such an exercise in brand building and idea seeding.

Lots of asylum seekers at Uni huh ...

So yet again, you want a billboard at the airport? No showing any interest in people and getting to know them? They will be dazzled by a sign they will see speeding into the city for five milliseconds and instantly become Demons and you are telling me I'm joking?

My point was that you said that migrants won't have any interest in football yet Carlton still give free tickets to asylum seekers. I am guessing that they see potential in them becoming supporters one day.

I don't mind you making your point (and you are entitled to it) but do you need to be a condescending ass?

The best point you have made (you have spent most of your time trying to tear down others ideas without offering any yourself) is that this probably won't be a starter anyway as TOOT pointed out.

I am an employee of The University of Melbourne at the Sport Department here.

I can't go into too much detail, but there have been official meetings between the club and the University. These have mainly been around research and an education partnership for players and administration (like the Uni has with the Melbourne Rebels) - as far as I'm aware there's never been any proposal or thought broached about moving the club here and building a facility, which would obviously be a huge investment. I don't know who thought of 'the move' but it definitely hasn't been on the agenda.

Someone making a mountain out of a molehill I think. I just can't see it happening.

You appear to be on the money Toot 182.

No surprise here that the HUN has taken a small amount of information and turned it into the Bible.

The only surprise to me is that the item was not written by Robbo.

Edited by old dee