Our traditional jumper

Dees2014

It has always intrigued me (anyway for the last 20 years) why we do not insist on wearing our traditional kit when it does not clash with the opposition in their home games. For Christ sake, we do not even wear it often in our home games (aka Alice Springs). Not only is it the smartest kit in the AFL, but it also means an awful lot to our traditional supporters like me.

If it is good enough for Collingwood and Hawthorn to wear their traditional gear at every opportunity, why not us. It is time we stood up for our proud tradition, and make it intregral to the exciting future we are building.

I would have thought a no brainier for the very smart Roos-Jackson regime. Would also hugely annoy the magpie traditionalists. This cannot be a bad thing at all....

What do you mean "commit to it"?

I think we find ourselves in the unfortunate situation where we share one or both colours with a large number of other clubs.

As much as I hate to say it, Hawthorn and Collingwood don't quite have the same problem.

Disagree entirely. I have no problem with an alternative strip when there is a clash, but there was no clash last Saturday yet we wore a strip none of us had ever seen before, and it was our home game. If there was a clash it was our prerogative to make the opposition change asit was our home game. We are just too weak in defending our traditions IMHO. I can't imagine a Collingwood or a Geelong doing such a thing.

It's really just Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and to a lesser extent Richmond that seem to refuse to deliver a proper alternative.

I'm not that tied to our jumper, TBH. I'm much more tied to the MFC logo in its incarnation on our Saturday jumper - also see PSD's avatar. It's a much stronger image than Carlton's CFC, IMO.

It's really just Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and to a lesser extent Richmond that seem to refuse to deliver a proper alternative.

I'm not that tied to our jumper, TBH. I'm much more tied to the MFC logo in its incarnation on our Saturday jumper - also see PSD's avatar. It's a much stronger image than Carlton's CFC, IMO.

Wrong re Carlscum - they wear the white one quite a bit, and even had / have that pathetic powder blue one. Not sure how they can sing their traditional song wearing those parodies.

tbh im a bit over all the jumper stuff. seems to be brought up too often.

Wrong re Carlscum - they wear the white one quite a bit, and even had / have that pathetic powder blue one. Not sure how they can sing their traditional song wearing those parodies.

So why do we conform and wear white, red and blue that is us I am very big on these always being our colours, Home games (barring indigenous/heritage round) our traditional strip is a must but IAH for the life of me I am struggling to see any opposition where as an away game if our traditional strip clashes that a predominantly red strip would clash

• Like 1

True.

It was the fault of whoever gave us those icky bright colours in the 70's to make us look more colourful on TV. We lost our continuity of tradition then. Tradition maintains its validity only when there is unbroken continuity. We lost it a long time ago. You can only defend tradition when you still live by it. The Pies and Hawks never deviated too much from their original look though the Hawks did try to shed those pukey colours but faced a lot of resistance from fans. As I recall there was not a whole lot of resistance to our IKEA look of the seventies at the time.

Edited by america de cali

What is everybody going to do when we finally reach the English Premier League standard and change the jumper slightly each season (both home and away), to make money from merchandising, (that is excluding the one off jumpers which we have already had 2 of in the first 11 rounds)...

I reckon it is only a couple of years away, (only happens with the sponsors names at the moment).

If the name on the back becomes the norm that will open the door because the player managers will make sure the players get a slice and they will want a bigger pie, as in the EPL

Edited by Satyriconhome

What do you mean "commit to it"?

I think we find ourselves in the unfortunate situation where we share one or both colours with a large number of other clubs.

As much as I hate to say it, Hawthorn and Collingwood don't quite have the same problem.

Collingwood don't have the problem other than white with North, Geelong, StKilda, Pt Adelaide, Fremantle, Sydney, Western Bulldogs at to a lesser extent Carlton. Black with StKilda, Essendon, and Richmond. Other than that no clubs really.

Hawthorn yellow only Giants, Richmond, GCSuns, Adelaide, Richmond and Brisbane. No one else would use poo brown.

Yes, you do have a point, but I don't think predominantly those colours.

North and Geelong I'll give you, but can be and are often altered; St Kilda and Port both have a distinct clash with Colligwood in terms of the colours used, but not so much in terms of composition; Freo mostly purple; Sydney has the red, and the composition means there is no real clash; Bulldogs and Carlton have minimal white.

Giants have no yellow, but orange; Richmond a sash; GC have predominantly red strip, and while alternative strip; Crows again, not a dominant colour; Richmond only needs to be mentioned once; and Brisbane, gain far from dominant.

With stripes, the jumper can be altered, slightly varying the widths and placement of stripes, to make either colour dominant.

Unfortunately there's not a great deal you can do with our yoke without it looking like a very different jumper.

Dark navy blue can be visually confused with black.

And blue and red are colours that feature heavily on other club strips.

GC's home strip, Bulldogs, Carlton, Essendon and St Kilda to an extent.

WestCoast have blue, but there's no real clash. Likewise Brisbane.

I think it's the clubs that have a blue or a darker colour and a bit of red, that are the issue.

If they have no red it's a bit easier to distinguish between the 2. From the front at least.

I'd be happy if we could wear our jumper all the time, but I don't think it's a reasonable stance to refuse to wear an alternative strip at times.

I don't see any honour or integrity for us to admire in Collingwood's stubbornness.

It's just brattish rigidity for the sake of not giving an inch. Where's the honour in that?