Nathan Jones

Ted Lasso

HH, they have no idea, I wouldn't even click on their crappy site, just watch the replay and rejoice in the fact he plays for us and is a star.

I'd rather see the tweet of Joel Selwood saying he is a gun than some [censored] reporter on the afl site.

• Like 1

he is 110 on the afl.com.au player ratings

How the hell do they get away with printing such garbage?

He should be well and truly in the top 30 at least

There are some anomalies to say the least

Whilst Nate is rated at 110, Alex Rance is 109

Jack Viney is 382 whilst Jack Grimes is 249 and my personal favourite

Shannon Bynes 249 > Dom Tyson 417

In 2000, Essendon was so far ahead of the rest, the remaining teams were really battling for the prize of coming second and we won. For those talking up Jones as Brownlow medallist this year, think of him as if it were like 2000. The question really is - who's going to come second to Ablett in the Brownlow. Does anyone seriously think Ablett can be beaten?

And last Sunday on 3AW in a pre-game segment where the commentators give their "roast" (negative) and "sweet" (positive) comments for the round, Caroline Wilson gave her sweet to Nathan Jones. Particularly pleasing was the comment she made that it was not just about his performance against Richmond, as good as that was, but how he's conducted himself on and off the field over the previous 2 and half years. She pointed out (and I'm paraphrasing) that he'd never dropped his head during those dark days and deserves the rewards he's now getting. She also added he should be in contention for AA honours.

• Like 3

Nathan Jones is a culture setting footballer. On field and off. As is Jack Grimes. And then along comes Jack Viney, launched into the spotlight with 'bump-gate', and he couldn't be a better example of the new MFC. Dom Tyson also is a very impressive person, and don't forget JKH, first ever indigenous captain of a TAC team, and who draws huge praise from all who have coached and worked with him. Chris Dawes, Dan Cross. There's a current and future culture right there.

• Like 3

How the hell do they get away with printing such garbage?

HH, they have no idea

If you bothered to see how the ratings are calculated, you'd find out that they are a rolling aggregate of the player's last two seasons. The most recent 40 matches are used in the calculation and matches 21 through 40 are progressively reduced in weighting, from 100 per cent down to five per cent for the earliest game. It's not a ranking just for 2014, or just for last week.

For example, Allan Christensen has nearly the same ranking points (370) as Jones (382), but he hasn't played a game this year. As Melbourne's poor seasons in 2012 and 2013 recede, Jones will only go one way and that is up. As Christensen's games from 2012 and 2013 recede, he'll go down, because he's not playing to replace them.

That's the ranking system, and it needs to be considered in that light, not just for the 2014 season. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

FWIW, all sport rankings, such as the Tennis and Golf World Rankings, work on the same rolling (and diminishing) two-year formula. If they only worked over a few weeks, a top player like Tiger Woods, who got injured for a period of time, would immediately drop right out of the rankings and unfairly lose his eligibility for major tournaments.

If you bothered to see how the ratings are calculated, you'd find out that they are a rolling aggregate of the player's last two seasons. The most recent 40 matches are used in the calculation and matches 21 through 40 are progressively reduced in weighting, from 100 per cent down to five per cent for the earliest game. It's not a ranking just for 2014, or just for last week.

For example, Allan Christensen has nearly the same ranking points (370) as Jones (382), but he hasn't played a game this year. As Melbourne's poor seasons in 2012 and 2013 recede, Jones will only go one way and that is up. As Christensen's games from 2012 and 2013 recede, he'll go down, because he's not playing to replace them.

That's the ranking system, and it needs to be considered in that light, not just for the 2014 season. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

FWIW, all sport rankings, such as the Tennis and Golf World Rankings, work on the same rolling (and diminishing) two-year formula. If they only worked over a few weeks, a top player like Tiger Woods, who got injured for a period of time, would immediately drop right out of the rankings and unfairly lose his eligibility for major tournaments.

Yes I understand how it works and it does explain (sort of) why Shannon Byrnes is rated higher than Dom no matter how plainly ridiculous that is. I think where we get our knickers in a knot is when Nathan Jones who has consistently been very good for at least the last two seasons is listed as the 110th player and has Alex Rance listed above him at 109.

There is so much to feel good about the club ATM, but what really amazes me is how Jones continually improves, and the way he rode the bumps on Saturday was superhuman. But what I really want to say is that it was an incredible mistake not to have made him captain after Junior, and that he wasn't is an indictment on the management at the club at the time. I must confess that I thought they didn't give it to him because of some undisclosed flaw (Sadly I've not met him) and now realise I was hugely mistaken. No slight on Trengove or Grimes, but just justice wasn't done to the incredible soldier Jones is. I feel like I'm watching a real life Captain America when he plays at the moment.