It's all positve

Giles

If you were my coach, you would have already lost me.

So you are prepared to stand around for 30 minutes of the game and then learn about it later are you?

Watch todays game and then compare it to yesterdays 2nd Q....Some of yesterdays worst offenders have been on our payroll for over 5 years...

No i am saying there are no positives from yesterday because of the 2nd Q performance.

It is quite simple and straight forward

That probably sums up your stance. You're right, that there are absolutely no positives at all from an entire game because of one quarter is quite 'simple'. Not one person in the football industry would agree with you and only very, very few demonland tortured souls would concur.

Even though we didn't deserve to, we could've win yesterday and on your theory that still wouldn't have been a positive.

So you are prepared to stand around for 30 minutes of the game and then learn about it later are you?

Watch todays game and then compare it to yesterdays 2nd Q....Some of yesterdays worst offenders have been on our payroll for over 5 years...

Mate, it's all over. You told the blokes there was nothing but negatives to take from that game.

The players are coming to me and saying they are leaving if you are still in charge.

I have called the president and it's done - he could not believe you didn't see any positives in that game - you will be getting a call in the morning.

I am going to have to captain-coach again...

• Like 1

Mate, it's all over. You told the blokes there was nothing but negatives to take from that game.

The players are coming to me and saying they are leaving if you are still in charge.

I have called the president and it's done - he could not believe you didn't see any positives in that game - you will be getting a call in the morning.

I am going to have to captain-coach again...

Ya Soft Bastard rp...

It's all too hard eh...You should try 10 years of Physiotherapy...That might toughen you up a notch.

That probably sums up your stance. You're right, that there are absolutely no positives at all from an entire game because of one quarter is quite 'simple'. Not one person in the football industry would agree with you and only very, very few demonland tortured souls would concur.

Even though we didn't deserve to, we could've win yesterday and on your theory that still wouldn't have been a positive.

You sure about that? Be interesting to hear the review tomorrow. Considering we played G Ablett & a bunch of kids.

Ya Soft [censored] rp...

It's all too hard eh...You should try 10 years of Physiotherapy...That might toughen you up a notch.

Mate, the locks are being changed at the club.

No-one wants a rah-rah, beer battered tough love coach anymore - it doesn't work.

It didn't work for Neeld/Watters in the AFL and it isn't working in the league that you were in.

Deal with it.

It kills the contest...30 minutes of wasted time is not acceptable

No-one is saying it is acceptable. You are saying there are NO positives to be taken from the game because of a very poor quarter which no rational person would agree with.

We have been in 4 out of 5 games up until the last quarter. From where we are coming from, which is MILES behind the bulk of the competition, that is a positive step forward. You don't fix a trainwreck overnight.

• Like 1

You sure about that? Be interesting to hear the review tomorrow. Considering we played G Ablett & a bunch of kids.

100% sure. If there were no positives I'm not sure there could actually be a review.

You believe Roos and the coaching staff would be of the same opinion as you?

You must be interpreting what positives are differently. It's the only explanation because what you're saying isn't possible.

WYL,

There is a fine line between self indulgence and valid criticism. This kind of hyperbole about yesterday's result is like verbal masturbation. It's designed to make you feel good about yourself and you alone. Remember the time you suggested we all turn up to the 'G and as the players were to run down the race that we were all going to turn our backs on them? This post is a notch below that one but is still overkill and likely to achieve nothing.
As RPFC said, this old school, hard arse, ear singing you want the players to get was the forte of the coach who you say should have his tenure wiped from the face of this earth.

Does anyone think that yesterday's game was overwhelmingly positive? Goodness gracious me no. We lost so it wasn't a positive on the whole.
Were there some things that we could take out of it? Yes and there were somethings we can improve on and that going forward can be positive.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

You think the players have attitude issues, yet you refuse to acknowledge positives when they're staring you in the face.

Classic.

I'm with you TU. It's not great just yet, but geez, it's better than last year. There is improvement there. There is also still some rubbish at times but it's pretty clear the rubbish is lessening.

• Like 1

We have been in 4 out of 5 games up until the last quarter. From where we are coming from, which is MILES behind the bulk of the competition, that is a positive step forward. You don't fix a trainwreck overnight.

I hadn't thought of it like that until just now.

In 4 out of our 5 games this year, we've been in winning positions in the fourth quarter of the game. That is such an improvement on the last two years.

• Like 1

We are a better side this year than last so far, the fact that we are arguing over so few points as opposed to the whole team is an improvement in its own right. New coach, new gameplan and lots of learning still to be done by all, including our players level of commitment to the team, skill improvements etc..

This year we went into the game with HOPE, we played well enough, or the suns played badly enough that we were in it right up until the last few minutes, something we have not experienced all too often over the last few years. Getting close made a lot of those small mistakes seem worse because if they had not happened then maybe we would have won. Watts did contribute but in the eyes of many myself included could have done better in the contests he really needs to work on his body work and tackling but that could be said of a few other players as well from time to time.

Watching good teams play they tackle they hit you and they hurt you, if you have the ball you need to get rid of it or you will be crunched that leads to miskicks and handpasses and turnovers. That is not the brand of football we played on the weekend. Our players were protecting empty spaces not attacking their opposition players, our players ran chasing their opposition player away from the contests even when the ball was close to them and they could have impacted the contest, we spent too much time running away from the play all day. We spent too much time 5-10 meters behind the oppositions chasing which offered us no opportunity to tackle as they had usually passed the ball off by then. The majority of our tackles came in the stopages, not general play, not chasing and hunting the opposition. Too many players threw out arms and could not make tackles stick, though I think Viney was a little stiff in not getting a tackle stat for his pony ride on abletts back when he tried to stop him.

• Like 2

5 of our players did not lay one solitary tackle during the entire game.

Nev Jetta, Jacky Viney, Jack Grimes, Dean Terlich, Jake Spencer.

Shocked...

It surprises me that Viney didn't lay one. He seemed to be the only one attempting to tackle Ablett. And from our captain, that's hopeless.

Mate, the locks are being changed at the club.

No-one wants a rah-rah, beer battered tough love coach anymore - it doesn't work.

It didn't work for Neeld/Watters in the AFL and it isn't working in the league that you were in.

Deal with it.

His name's Alistair Clarkson. Not saying that is what Roos should do with our mob, but the authoritarian style still has a place in today's modern footy. You've just gotta be good at it. Neeld or Watters weren't. They both lacked tactical nous too. One of my mates works at Hawthorn. He says Clarkson's an absolute psycho - who knew? :P

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Both teams had twelve players with under 50 games, the difference being Gold Coast's have played theirs together - and our recruits are older. And not as good.

The rooster is laying the foundations now that should have been laid years ago. He said in the presser that he's not getting bogged down with winning or losing. It's about building week by week

Yesterday was yet another step in improvement.

And we have improved, If you don't see it, go to OPSM

• Like 1

His name's Alistair Clarkson. Not saying that is what Roos should do with our mob, but the authoritarian style still has a place in today's modern footy. You've just gotta be good at it. Neeld or Watters weren't. They both lacked tactical nous too. One of my mates works at Hawthorn. He says Clarkson's an absolute psycho - who knew? :P

Very true. It's very much horses for courses. I think when Clarko took over as well, Hawthorn was very much in need of a cultural sea change. They needed someone who wasn't identifiable as being a 'Hawthorn person' and like us they had become very insular in who they hired.

While a lot of people will say they 'tanked', I don't believe that so much. As I have said before on here, Peter Schwab was saying at the start of 2004 that the Hawks would won the flag and even if they did tank, it would seem it wasn't as contentious among their playing list as it was among ours. Plus there were no identifiable and divisive figures pushing it through at their club like CS and CC were at ours. My point being (and there is a point) is that the Hawks could be whacked with a larger stick as they didn't have a disillusioned, confidence free playing list like ours. Plus they held onto a few of their senior blokes until the very end (Richie Vandenberg, Shane Crawford, Trent Croad) and those kind of players would have a thicker skin compared to the bunch of kids (plus man children like Beamer and Col) who populated our list in 2012.

We lost a game on our home turf to G Ablett and a bunch of kids. That included a shocking second Quarter.

I do not see that as an improvement.

For those who are glad we didn't get blown away..that just shows how far CS threw this club down the S Bend.

And rpfc this club does need some tough love and tough decisions or else we will not exist in our present form.

WYL,

There is a fine line between self indulgence and valid criticism. This kind of hyperbole about yesterday's result is like verbal masturbation. It's designed to make you feel good about yourself and you alone. Remember the time you suggested we all turn up to the 'G and as the players were to run down the race that we were all going to turn our backs on them? This post is a notch below that one but is still overkill and likely to achieve nothing.

As RPFC said, this old school, hard arse, ear singing you want the players to get was the forte of the coach who you say should have his tenure wiped from the face of this earth.

Does anyone think that yesterday's game was overwhelmingly positive? Goodness gracious me no. We lost so it wasn't a positive on the whole.

Were there some things that we could take out of it? Yes and there were somethings we can improve on and that going forward can be positive.

Colin please don't tell me you think all hard assed coaches are in the mould of Neeld?

He had run out of ideas by Round 2 2012.

I am sure Roosy has a hot temper. Look at his eyes. He is going to need it to get these flat track switched on. (At least half the side)

Just looking through the list and who appears to have improved this year under Roos.

In my assessment only players out of the 32 left from last year who have shown significant improvement are N.Jones, Dawes, Viney, Frawley, Dunn & Pederson. That leaves 26 who are on an equal basis or have gone backwards.

If we are to win games we need some of the remaining players to show major improvement.

Edited by Mgdee
  • Like 1

Colin please don't tell me you think all hard assed coaches are in the mould of Neeld?

He had run out of ideas by Round 2 2012.

I am sure Roosy has a hot temper. Look at his eyes. He is going to need it to get these flat track switched on. (At least half the side)

Roos, as was noted by his very out of character spray on Terlich, is noted for being remarkably calm and a great manager of people. It doesn't mean he is a pushover. He is measured and considerate. If you are suggesting for one minute that he is some kind of David Parkin/Ron Barassi style task master then we can end this conversation right here.

Most old school coaches aren't Neeld (who was tactically unsophisticated and as far as coaching went, had a low emotional IQ). However, it seems there is only one way for you. We lose and it's riot time and we do something knee jerk and reactionary and the playing list must be scalded like naughty school boys. Have a listen to Dawes after the match (who got 17 possies as a key forward and had he kicked straight, might have bagged 5 goals) with Matt Burgan. Do you think he needed to be chewed out and told how things were unacceptable? Do that to him in that state of mind and he would be likely to snot you.

Even if we went down the path you wanted and Roos became the 'hard arsed coach' that you wish him to be, he would be hard but fair as Norm Smith used to say. Carrying on like a galoot after an 8 point loss to a team at a similar stage of development (and one probably one further ahead as they have played together as a unit for longer) might be hard but it's definitely not fair. It reminds me of a certain coach who once tore strips off a Melbourne team at half time in round one 2012 for being 6 points down.

I'm not one who is positive for the sake of it (I saw pretty much no positives after the West Coast loss and if there were, they were severely counterbalanced by the negatives). However, I'm not going to just spout off about any loss and pretend it's 186 all over again.

This loss is not going to 'kill' the club. It's very disappointing we did lose but don't try to make it out to be anything more than that. Losses like round 2 (and the camera in the locker room) last year do amazing damage to our club but this game does not.

Roos, as was noted by his very out of character spray on Terlich, is noted for being remarkably calm and a great manager of people. It doesn't mean he is a pushover. He is measured and considerate. If you are suggesting for one minute that he is some kind of David Parkin/Ron Barassi style task master then we can end this conversation right here.

Most old school coaches aren't Neeld (who was tactically unsophisticated and as far as coaching went, had a low emotional IQ). However, it seems there is only one way for you. We lose and it's riot time and we do something knee jerk and reactionary and the playing list must be scalded like naughty school boys. Have a listen to Dawes after the match (who got 17 possies as a key forward and had he kicked straight, might have bagged 5 goals) with Matt Burgan. Do you think he needed to be chewed out and told how things were unacceptable? Do that to him in that state of mind and he would be likely to snot you.

Even if we went down the path you wanted and Roos became the 'hard arsed coach' that you wish him to be, he would be hard but fair as Norm Smith used to say. Carrying on like a galoot after an 8 point loss to a team at a similar stage of development (and one probably one further ahead as they have played together as a unit for longer) might be hard but it's definitely not fair. It reminds me of a certain coach who once tore strips off a Melbourne team at half time in round one 2012 for being 6 points down.

I'm not one who is positive for the sake of it (I saw pretty much no positives after the West Coast loss and if there were, they were severely counterbalanced by the negatives). However, I'm not going to just spout off about any loss and pretend it's 186 all over again.

This loss is not going to 'kill' the club. It's very disappointing we did lose but don't try to make it out to be anything more than that. Losses like round 2 (and the camera in the locker room) last year do amazing damage to our club but this game does not.

i am not suggesting that Roos goes blue in the face weekly. He is better than that. But at least half our list are not prepared to back up a win against a team we should beat on our home soil with another hard tackling performance.

This is why i see no improvement or positives yet.

i am not suggesting that Roos goes blue in the face weekly. He is better than that. But at least half our list are not prepared to back up a win against a team we should beat on our home soil with another hard tackling performance.

This is why i see no improvement or positives yet.

Well, there's no point really continuing this conversation is there?