Aiming high - 2014 finals team - MFC best 25

tonatopia

We're nearly one third of the way in to the season and we're second from the bottom. Let's not get too carried away.

It is nice to see us amongst a logjam of other teams on the ladder though. We might still be very close to the bottom, but we're hanging on to the tail of the pack. If we win next week we could end up as high as 12th.

13th - unless we absolutely smash the dogs and Carlton just beat Stk (we would need to jump from 71.8% to +80%)

Anyway not that it really matters - The dogs have actually played alright this year (they have had a tough draw so far). Apart from the Wce game they have been very competitive.

Will be stoked if we beat them next week - and I am afraid optimism may get the better of me (just a heads up).

If we can beat the dogs then we can steamroll a pathetic tigers outfit.

Edited by Young Dee

Backline:

FB: Garland Frawley Dunn

HB: Grimes McDonald ******

Potential: Jetta, Terlich, Clisby, Toumpas, Howe*, Salem*

Midfield

Foll: ????? N. Jones Cross

C: Vince Viney ?????

Int: Tyson ???? ?????

Potential: Jamar, Gawn, Spencer, Pedersen, Bail, McKenzie, Trengove, Michie, Riley, M. Jones

Forward:

HF: Howe* Dawes Kent

FF: JKH Hogan ******

Potential: Watts, Salem, Fitzpatrick

Gaps:

- Quality ball user at half back

- Midfield depth - will Trengove, Michie, M. Jones etc step up to good players

- Ruck and 2nd ruck. Is Jamar back? Will Spencer, Gawn, Fitzy or Pedo be classed as regular 22 players

The 8 is possible IF this years players on the rise - Tyson, Viney, Salem, Hogan (when we see him), Kent, JKH, Salem - show sustained development.

PLUS - experienced players in form this year carry it over season after season - Pedersen, Bail, Dunn etc

That's what separates the good and bad teams.

I would still include Trengove in our best 22/25.

Pederson also deserves to be in our best 22/25. Since the Stkilda game he has been very solid and the last 2 weeks one of our best

We tend to grab on to any skerrick of hope we can get as Melbourne supporters.

I remember after round 10, 2012, some brave soul started a thread on the 'Land 'First half 1-11, Second Half 11-1?'. We all saw how that ended!

As rpfc said, dumping outsized expectations on the team this early is not a good idea. Roos himself said he is only coaching at 80% capacity in that the coaching group aren't focusing on opposition game plan or ball movement yet. For him, it's about establishing good habits and defensive pressure. If Roosy thought we were a genuine September chance, I am sure you would hear pretty different rhetoric coming out of the presser on Saturday.

Win the next 2 games and get back to me.

I heard Lynden Dunn on the wireless last night.

He wants wins... :)

Agreed. Let's just see what happens in the next two weeks.

The boys want to win and when intense desire matches high ability and logical gameplan, then the results will come.

Roos himself said he is only coaching at 80% capacity in that the coaching group aren't focusing on opposition game plan or ball movement yet. For him, it's about establishing good habits and defensive pressure.

I thought it was mildly refreshing for a coach to come out say that, basically, we're not even telling them what the other team is going to do until we get out own [censored] together first... Roos has cahunas, that's for sure.

Win the next 2 games and get back to me.

I heard Lynden Dunn on the wireless last night.

He wants wins... :)

Yes, I didn't see the Crows game coming (mainly that 1st half). But this team is what they dish up in the next two weeks.

Come out and beat the Dogs and the Tigers and we can discuss something more.

At the moment we are fighting for form, consistency, and respect and that's enough for now.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

Bump.

One game and percentage away from 8th position.

I still think we can make it. Roos has us playing really good footy.

Jamar and Dawes really helps. Imagine when Hogan makes his debut in round 18 and we are only a game or two away from 8th. Things would be rocking.

Heres hoping.

And also one game and percentage away from 18th.

Yes, you're correct about us improving, but until we can string consecutive wins together and build the players confidence, we are unlikely to progress too much further up the ladder. Playing good footy is one thing, but coming up against a team like Hawthorn is something else... that is something that can quickly sap the confidence out of a team and leave them floundering for a couple of weeks while they regroup.

We are a chance against the Bullies and the Tigers, but if we stumble there, then there's a very good chance we will be in for a lot of pain over the following weeks when we meet Port and the Pies who are both playing much better football than us... and I mean chalk and cheese better!

Nice to have finals aspirations as supporters, but I think the players and coaching staff have a slightly more realistic view of where they are at, and I would imagine that even they would not be upset if they were not to play finals footy until next year... as has been said more than once in this thread, the team are taking on each game as it comes.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 3

Considering what we've been through over the last six years, I'll be very happy if we can pull out 6 - 7 wins for the season. Even that may be ambitious.

Baby steps.

• Like 1

Considering what we've been through over the last six years, I'll be very happy if we can pull out 6 - 7 wins for the season. Even that may be ambitious.

Baby steps.

Hey! Steady on!

We don't want to end up with a draft pick outside the top 5.

Jeez...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Didn't you wonder whether the players were 'scarred for life' and that Roos has his 'work cut out for him?'

So we have gone from that to finals aspirants incredibly quickly...

The players are working through their own confidence issues and they are progressing - other than losing, outsized expectations is the last thing they need.

Worry about GC, then worry about the Swans, then the next game after that.

Who knows maybe you were right about them being scarred for life...

Gulp.