The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

I really don't care what's politically unpalatable.

WJ I fully understand your sentiment .I say its dead because its politically unpalatable because it is. Had this not been the case WE would and should have got one.

The PP was taken off the burner and left to cool...Its stone cold now

I only saw the televised games, so take this with large quantities of salt ...

Is there a chance that Ahern could challenge as the first midfielder picked? He certainly seems to have a huge amount of upside and a bit of x-factor. Fast, uses it well and his hands just seem insanely clean in all situations. One of those players who has the tools but just doesn't produce the high numbers yet.

Here's footage.

Is there a chance that Ahern could challenge as the first midfielder picked? He certainly seems to have a huge amount of upside and a bit of x-factor. Fast, uses it well and his hands just seem insanely clean in all situations. One of those players who has the tools but just doesn't produce the high numbers yet.

Here's footage.

Very clean hands, good kick and good awareness.

If I was Roos, I'd be talking to Gold Coast about trading picks 4 and 24 for picks 11, 15 & 31.

I'm sure GCS would like to move up in the draft and consolidate their talent, especially having to trim their list further as it shrinks, while we still need to bring in weight of numbers.

Of course, this is all predicated on being able to select Stretch with our 3rd rounder, and Frawley leaving so that we'd finish with picks 3, 11, 15, 31 and Stretch.

• Like 3

So one rising star nominee will change everything, you are fookin unbelievable

No need to be so narky...I didnt say it will change everything so dont put words in my mouth.

Having no nomination indicates that we have no new young players making the same impact that other clubs young players are to warrant a nomination.

No need to be so narky...I didnt say it will change everything so dont put words in my mouth.

Having no nomination indicates that we have no new young players making the same impact that other clubs young players are to warrant a nomination.

Again I say, Dom Tyson and Jack Viney, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Christian Salem, Dean Kent, Tom Mcdonald are all under 21 and making a difference

Nominations are irrelevant imo, we don't need those to tell us our young list is on the improve

• Like 3

Nominations tend to be given to players that perform well in a side that wins.

As wins are on short supply for us, it follows that we have no nominations.

When there is 2 obvious choices to choose from, the nomination also tends to go to a player in a winning or more visible side.

We are neither.

• Like 1

I have Ahern as my second preferred behind Petracca at the moment. If he continues to show the form he did toward the back end of the championships, I believe he’ll be widely regarded as a top 5 pick.

Not quite as quick as Pickett, but I think his game is a bit more rounded, and like Pickett can change a game. Needs to build endurance, but I like his composure in close. Does well in congestion.

If I was Roos, I'd be talking to Gold Coast about trading picks 4 and 24 for picks 11, 15 & 31.

I'm sure GCS would like to move up in the draft and consolidate their talent, especially having to trim their list further as it shrinks, while we still need to bring in weight of numbers.

Of course, this is all predicated on being able to select Stretch with our 3rd rounder, and Frawley leaving so that we'd finish with picks 3, 11, 15, 31 and Stretch.

Give us a plug in player instead of one of those picks and I like it a great deal. Matt Shaw? May? McKenzie?

4 and 24 for 11, McKenzie, and 31.

I hate doing this stuff...

• Like 2

Give us a plug in player instead of one of those picks and I like it a great deal. Matt Shaw? May? McKenzie?

but why....thats good :)

I really like this idea!

Of course, this is all

Gold Coast would be a good fit for a icing on the cake type player like Pickett

trade 11 for Jake Carlisle

trade 15 for Mitchell

suddenly a compo pick has seen us replace Chip with a better defender, and add a really good midfield prospect to the list

i'd probably then use pick 3 on Petracca knowing Trengove and Hogan will come back in and basically be like new players as well

No way GC will give up their Superboot.

Young Russel seems to be a pretty solid player, could play a lot of different positions but probably doesn't have the talent to stay in their side long term when he is competing with 22 blokes who could all be superstars

i'd take him off their hands instead of the second rounder.

if we , just for a moment , put names to the side and just go with intent then I can see many here also think its either

a)desirable

b) probable

that picks will be traded.

If we do get the bonus prize ( compo ) and if it is band 1 I still maintain theres a greater benefit this year to re-invent those picks as players able to impact immediately and accompanied by some still handy picks to garner some development youth.

We are different from many teams. We arent looking to top up and continue along a well established path we're doing some emergency re-engineering on the fly ....the foundations need fixing and the roof is leaking and the floor's a bit wonky etc

All things equal next year we'll still have a decent 1st and 2nd round pick.

Right now we need rtr players

thats my take

• Like 1

Not sure we'd get a plug in player from GC, but we might be able to on-trade one of those picks for one, and it's what I'd hope we'd do.

Keep pick 3, but trade 11 or 15, in my opinion.

You'd expect to get a solid return for a top 20 pick, especially considering what we spent on Vince.

I'd take a pick offer to Adelaide or Essendon, as they need to replenish their youth stocks.

Just need to figure out who we'd want.

Lyons doesn't do it for me. It might be a good price for Tom Mitchell...

I love this stuff.

• Like 1

Interesting interview with Roos about this year's draft. Says there's no real "standouts" that he's seen so far, rather an even spread of genuine quality players across the board.

http://m.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-07-10/northern-state-clubs-building-edge-roos

Got zero doubt now this is the same situation as last year in Roos' mind. He'll trade both early picks (3 and 4ish) for a player and a lower pick, just like the Salem/Tyson deal. Only difference this year is we'll be doing it twice, for our normal pick and the Frawley compo.

I assume he'll then on trade one of the lower first round picks (15ish?) for another established player, sending us to the draft with only one first round pick, probably around 10ish.

Thus with our picks 3&4ish, we'll end up with three high quality established players, and one new draftee to develop next year, ala Salem. Right now isn't the time for this club to be recruiting multiple first round draftees, we desperately need established players for an instant injection of leadership, skill, experience and class. Roos is only here for two more draft periods and he'll be turning over our list as fast as he can.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 2

Here's footage.

looks good, cool in the mind leading to good decisions, but seems always out in space?

whats her like under the pump, with close attention. is he accountable for his opponent?

If we believe what we see, then Ahern is a top 5 pick.

Did he just have a good champs? Not sure.. But either way, he looks absolute class.

I like him, I like the suggestion of trading away 4 and 24 - for 11, 15 and 31.

Ahern and Laverde could be around that mark.

I also liked Lucas Webb, he was ultra clean, It would be a dream to land him late

Edited by KingDingAling