Enough already!!!

Apocalypse XXXI

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might come as a shock to you, but not all MFC supporters live in, or close to Melbourne.

Then all others should go to the pub with their mates, leaving the teetotallers to watch it home on Foxtel. I expect all Demonlanders however will book flights/buses to the "G" when Roos gets us in our first Final!

I don't know why people bother subscribing to Foxtel? If the Dees are playing in Melbourne at the G, I never miss a game, If we are playing interstate (or Etihad) I head off to the local pub and watch it on their Foxtel with my mates over a counter and few bottles of red. I figure that way what I save on a Foxtel subscription pays for my F&B at the pub, plus I can enjoy the company of my mates! It is a no-brainer.

I would't have Foxtel if it wasn't for the wife but for those of us who love watching footy and not just MFC games Fox Footy is a must. Not only do you get every game live with no ad breaks, you also get games in HD. Now all they have to do is get rid of Channel 7's inane and scripted commentary and it will be perfect.

The AFL app at $90 for the season is looking like a winner though. Run it through wifi at home and stream it to an AppleTV and it's every game live at a fraction of the price and without all the added filler of the Fox Footy Channel.

The AFL app at $90 for the season is looking like a winner though. Run it through wifi at home and stream it to an AppleTV and it's every game live at a fraction of the price and without all the added filler of the Fox Footy Channel.

Dr G, when I tried this at the beginning of last season I gave up on it because they cutoff the left & right parts of the screen. (Whereas for replays they showed it all.) Did this get fixed?

Dr G, when I tried this at the beginning of last season I gave up on it because they cutoff the left & right parts of the screen. (Whereas for replays they showed it all.) Did this get fixed?

I've only seen it on a friends samsung phone but it was fine. If you were streaming to an Apple TV or media player perhaps it was your settings that caused this (4:3 instead of 16:9?)

A shocking revelation!

The off season is bringing out your grumpy side McQueen. :)

Haha. Sarcasm isn't one of my strongest attributes but you're right, this off-season is starting to [censored] me off.

I've only seen it on a friends samsung phone but it was fine. If you were streaming to an Apple TV or media player perhaps it was your settings that caused this (4:3 instead of 16:9?)

Thanks. I was using an AppleTV and I'm pretty sure I fiddled around with all settings to no avail. The odd thing was that it was full-width for replays, but not for live broadcasts (which would imply I had the aspect ratio settings right).

I got no useful response from Telstra. But I now recall they said it was the fault of the broadcaster. Presumably Fox was doing that to protect Foxtel subs.

I'd really like to use it in 2014 so if anyone has any info I'd be very grateful.

Edited by sue

Thanks. I was using an AppleTV and I'm pretty sure I fiddled around with all settings to no avail. The odd thing was that it was full-width for replays, but not for live broadcasts (which would imply I had the aspect ratio settings right).

I got no useful response from Telstra. But I now recall they said it was the fault of the broadcaster. Presumably Fox was doing that to protect Foxtel subs.

I'd really like to use it in 2014 so if anyone has any info I'd be very grateful.

Pretty sure you can use the AppleTV to mirror your iphone/ipad rather than just play through AirPlay (though I havent tried it) so that it replicates your phones screen on the TV exactly as it looks on your phone instead of just streaming the video content. Someone more tech savvy than me may be able to help out with this.

Pretty sure you can use the AppleTV to mirror your iphone/ipad rather than just play through AirPlay (though I havent tried it) so that it replicates your phones screen on the TV exactly as it looks on your phone instead of just streaming the video content. Someone more tech savvy than me may be able to help out with this.

Thanks again Dr G. It was cutoff on the iPad - not just an artefact of transferring it to the big TV screen via AppleTV. As I said in an edit above, Telstra claimed that is the way Fox provided the video stream. I asked if they intended to lean on Fox about fixing that and got no response not surprisingly.

However getting any answer out of Telstra was a struggle and there is a fair chance that the person who finally responded didn't know what they were talking about and just wanted to brush me off by blaming someone else.

I also gave up on the app because of interruptions/buffering even though I have good broadband. I suspected their servers were overloaded and it was not a network issue. Why they would be overloaded during a Demons match is sadly a good question however!

sue, after reading this thread (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2058072) at Whirlpool it seems the AFL Live app is an absolute shambles. I expected it to be comparable to my NFL Gamepass app but it looks a world apart.

It seems you can't stream to Apple TV via Airplay although some peoe state they were able to

Video of live matches often doesn't work at all

Picture quality is poor and nowhere near the HD quality of other similar apps - seems it's not even SD quality and lesser quality than analogue - this is compounded for those who actually were able to stream to their TV

Picture was cropped to 4:3 for live channel 7 matches - some later posts in July indicate this problem was fixed however some say it was still an issue

Based on this I definitely won't be bothering with it and am reconsidering going over to Telstra (currently with Optus until end of Feb).

sue, after reading this thread (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2058072) at Whirlpool it seems the AFL Live app is an absolute shambles. I expected it to be comparable to my NFL Gamepass app but it looks a world apart.

It seems you can't stream to Apple TV via Airplay although some peoe state they were able to

Video of live matches often doesn't work at all

Picture quality is poor and nowhere near the HD quality of other similar apps - seems it's not even SD quality and lesser quality than analogue - this is compounded for those who actually were able to stream to their TV

Picture was cropped to 4:3 for live channel 7 matches - some later posts in July indicate this problem was fixed however some say it was still an issue

Based on this I definitely won't be bothering with it and am reconsidering going over to Telstra (currently with Optus until end of Feb).

Thanks again Dr G. I should have looked at Wirlpool. It's a good site, but it didn't occur to me to look for AFL stuff there.

I was able to stream through Apple TV - using mirroring I dimly recall.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the live action 4:3 cropping issue.Other than Foxtel the app is my only option (can't change ISP) so

The problems you listed sound eerily familiar.

I'll keep my ear to the ground and email Telstra again as the season approaches to see if there have been any improvements.

(Like some of the posters on the Wirlpool site, I have no interest in other Foxtel products, I'd just love to be able to get the AFL, but they insist on packages and I don't like paying for something I don't want. Roll on the AFL taking over completely offering an internet service - I think...)

BTW, does anyone know how the AppleStore censors reviews of apps? I sent in an extremely polite one about the 4:3 issue last year and it never appeared.

It was a good game for both WJ.

Daniel Cross finished with 25 disposals and 1 goal for the Doggies while Bernie Vince had 27 for 1 goal.

Little by little, I managed to watch the whole of the game and yes, I was impressed by both players and yes, if they can produce anything like that sort of form on a regular basis, we will have a better team on the park every week.

It was a good standard game with the Bulldogs taking the early ascendency before they were reeled in by Adelaide who, at one stage late in the third quarter led by 22 points. The Dogs came back and finished the fitter of the two sides and stormed home by three goals. They had a few impressive young players (especially midfielders Liberatore and Wallis) but it was their older brigade that won the game for them including Cross who was mainly in defence coveting Rory Sloane. Ryan Griffiths was a standout and Adam Cooney was explosive at times. I still disagree with all the raving about the Bulldogs - they have plenty of older types in their 30s (and closing in on that age) to suggest that they're likely to have a bumpy ride when those blokes start retiring. Anyway, we're in a different place with Cross' introduction adding much needed expedience in midfield, defence or a tagging role. I didn't see any signs that would make me critical of his disposal which might prevent him becoming a regular in our time.

Vince played a good, ordinary game - he got a lot of the pill but was workmanlike without being a star. He was in the play often, linked well, showed good poise and was always on the attack.

We could well have a couple of good hardworking players here which is an area we've lacked in our recent past.

The Crows had a dangerous player in the explosive Dangerfield who was overshadowed in the last quarter and that cost the Crows in the end.

I had also forgotten how ordinary Dwayne Russell is as a commentator. Dull, colorless, often repetitive and boring.

Little by little, I managed to watch the whole of the game and yes, I was impressed by both players and yes, if they can produce anything like that sort of form on a regular basis, we will have a better team on the park every week.

It was a good standard game with the Bulldogs taking the early ascendency before they were reeled in by Adelaide who, at one stage late in the third quarter led by 22 points. The Dogs came back and finished the fitter of the two sides and stormed home by three goals. They had a few impressive young players (especially midfielders Liberatore and Wallis) but it was their older brigade that won the game for them including Cross who was mainly in defence coveting Rory Sloane. Ryan Griffiths was a standout and Adam Cooney was explosive at times. I still disagree with all the raving about the Bulldogs - they have plenty of older types in their 30s (and closing in on that age) to suggest that they're likely to have a bumpy ride when those blokes start retiring. Anyway, we're in a different place with Cross' introduction adding much needed expedience in midfield, defence or a tagging role. I didn't see any signs that would make me critical of his disposal which might prevent him becoming a regular in our time.

Vince played a good, ordinary game - he got a lot of the pill but was workmanlike without being a star. He was in the play often, linked well, showed good poise and was always on the attack.

We could well have a couple of good hardworking players here which is an area we've lacked in our recent past.

The Crows had a dangerous player in the explosive Dangerfield who was overshadowed in the last quarter and that cost the Crows in the end.

I had also forgotten how ordinary Dwayne Russell is as a commentator. Dull, colorless, often repetitive and boring.

Maybe in our utilisation of Cross and Vince in the midfield, we can rest Cross in the backline and Vince up forward?

Maybe in our utilisation of Cross and Vince in the midfield, we can rest Cross in the backline and Vince up forward?

No Vince played mainly in the midfield but was a creative link man and very attacking. He kicked a goal early but was better downfield setting things up. He has good hands and was quick with his decision making.

I reckon both he and Cross will play in the midfield for us.

• 2 weeks later...