Paul Roos The Player

dazzledavey36

I sorta wasn't around too see Roos at his peak and when I arrived here in 1998 I was still to young to remember him playing.

For those that saw the game back then what was he like s a player and who would you compare him to ability wise.

Would be good to hear everyone's thoughts!

Roos was Mr fixit for Fitzroy. He went wherever the ball was, basically played where he saw fit and was their best player after the early eighties. After he moved to Sydney he had to learn to hold down one position, CHB. At the time he said it took a big change in how he approached his footy. Played the position very well as he is/was an extremely talented footballer IMO.

I barracked for the Roy's as a boy and just could not follow them north.

Roos was my absolute fave and I hated he headed to Sydney but I was getting a little older and couldn't begrudge him.

As a player, super smart. mainly played as an undersized CHB in tandem with Gary Pert, they were amazing in the mid 80s. Could go forward or on the ball at times.

I distinctly remember a game he won at Princess Park against the Blues, he had 30 plus disposals when touches meant something and then went forward and got the clearance and snapped truly in the final minute.

He was a real general and lead with aplomb.

I cannot be happier is the new coach.

I was around, so I'll have a crack. Roos invented the rebound half-back, the sweeper that we see so much of today. He didn't stress over who he needed to lock down. He backed himself to read the ball, get to the contest, back his judgement in the air. He got good stats rebounding and hitting up a target. He was a very good kick and a safe mark. He had the height to negate tall forwards and the legs to take them on running out of defence. Cool in a crisis. A mix of Birchall and Mackie.

Edited by waynewussell

Started out as a tall winger. By 1984 was a wonderful centre half back. In 1985 and 86 he cam awfully clost to winning the Brownlow (he should have won in 1986 - was clearly the best player of that season, but missed out to Williams and Dipper by 1 vote). After that he became a great utility player and was probably, along with Terry Daniher, the best true utility I have seen. Could play anywhere along the goal to goal to line and also on the ball. Set up the play beautifully and thrived in state games. A great player.

• Like 2

In terms of current CHB's I'd say the best comparison is Luke McPharlin. He's had a poor year this year due to injury but McPharlin at his peak I'd say was similar to Roos.

It's a bit over the top to say he completely reinvented the position. There were running defenders for years. But I think he took it to another level. He'll certainly instruct the likes of Frawley, McDonald and Garland to use their run.

I was around, so I'll have a crack. Roos invented the rebound half-back, the sweeper that we see so much of today. He didn't stress over who he needed to lock down. He backed himself to read the ball, get to the contest, back his judgement in the air. He got good stats rebounding and hitting up a target. He was a very good kick and a safe mark. He had the height to negate tall forwards and the legs to take them on running out of defence. Cool in a crisis. A mix of Birchall and Mackie.

Not a bad writeup mate. He was a really good rebound half back. He was Fitzroys gun! Fitzroy had a few of them during his time....Pert,Osborne,Barwick,Ross Lyon,.. ect ect

Started out as a tall winger. By 1984 was a wonderful centre half back. In 1985 and 86 he cam awfully clost to winning the Brownlow (he should have won in 1986 - was clearly the best player of that season, but missed out to Williams and Dipper by 1 vote). After that he became a great utility player and was probably, along with Terry Daniher, the best true utility I have seen. Could play anywhere along the goal to goal to line and also on the ball. Set up the play beautifully and thrived in state games. A great player.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Best write up right there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.