2013 Player Review - # 6 Chris Dawes

Demonland

Recruited from Collingwood to play a tandem key forward role with Mitch Clark in a scenario that never eventuated because both players were hit by injury. Nevertheless, Dawes showed enough by his play and with his leadership on the forward line to suggest that he will be part of a potent forward line when all of its cogs are fit and healthy.

Games MFC 2013 12 Career Total 83

Goals MFC 2013 12 Career Total 95

Games CSFC 2013 2 Goals CSFC 2013 0

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 147 votes

• Like 1

This doesn't add much to the convo but I didn't realise he played 12 games. Was probably underdone for 4 to 8 of those as well.

I hope he has a big preseason and a good 2014 because I think he us one player who really wants to drag is up to the top.

• Like 3

The dynamic duo never eventuated and it went to plan C pretty quickly. :unsure:

he does have and provide a certain something out there which Im looking forward to see blossom in 2014 when he ably joined up fornt....by someone !! :)

This doesn't add much to the convo but I didn't realise he played 12 games. Was probably underdone for 4 to 8 of those as well.

I hope he has a big preseason and a good 2014 because I think he us one player who really wants to drag is up to the top.

I was surprised when I heard he had played 12 games as well - I guess he played games in clusters between injuries.

I think he will surprise a lot of people next year - provided he can go a full year without injuries.

His leadership is just as important to our team as his skill set.

It frightens me to think how much worse our playing group would be without Chris Dawes at the MFC.

The man is a born leader on and off the field, a huge presence on the field and in the changerooms

He is worth every penny.

• Like 2

For the money we are paying him 12 games and goals in 2013 is very disappointing.

If his body not upto 2014 then cut him loose and get someone who can play more games.

Granted there is good potential here but I want actual achievers not bench warmers.

Not a fan yet so lets see what happens in 2014.

BigFrog, I understand we a business we need to consider return on investments but I'm not sure "salary cap money paid" is actually an investment.

That money has to be paid to someone Regardless. If it isn't paid we pay or to the AFL.

The only cost/investment is what we traded for him.

If we had a team of stars we were trying to hold together this equation is more important. But right now the annual salary is meaningless.

As an side from that, if he was only picked for 12 games and played at casey the treat of the time due to form then it is a horrible investment. If it was ongoing/recurring injuries we knew about before we paid for him, then that's a poor investment too.

As it stands, it is bad luck on a potentially good investment.

For the money we are paying him 12 games and goals in 2013 is very disappointing.

If his body not upto 2014 then cut him loose and get someone who can play more games.

Granted there is good potential here but I want actual achievers not bench warmers.

TBF I wouldnt be sweating much of what happened in 2013 for a few blokes.. It was annus horribilis

Am sure Dawes amongst a handful will have much improved 2014 and the synergy and effect of that will be demonstrable :)

Its better having a bench warmer with leadership than just a plain bench warmer.

If you want to start making changes to the list I suggest you start else where.

Football matches are not just won on the field but are the result of all the little things such as having people in your team with a high work ethic (Jones, Viney and Dawes), people who lead by example both on and off the field.

Edited by Young Dee

Deanox, BB and YD

You all may be right but IMO the MFC needs a culture of winning, second place should no longer be acceptable.

I just saw a game of football yesterday played by a team of semi professional footballers who were considered by most so called experts to be the underdogs, that showed hart, endevour, never say die and win at all costs attitude and love for their team mates and jumper. I never seen a game with some may smoothers and no player was a passenger. Even a 50m penalty was reversed and resulted in a goal by the Captains experience and leadership. Give us a team full of players like that and they will give the MFC Premierships.

2014 will tell us if Dawes is any good or not.

I don't want beanch warms of any type but if we had to have one get someone we pay less money for so we can afford to buy someone who can show actual on field leadership by actually playing games.

To me he still has alot to prove before I would consider him a required player let alone Captain material.

But I do understand he already has alot of supporters in the MFC, I not one of them yet.

TBF... all things being at least reasonably equitable. We will go from a team with a struggling forward line to one with Clark, Dawes AND Hogan.....all raring to go . Drive this goal machine with an engine comprised of effective mids and its brave new world stuff.

Dawes just have an injurious year.... it happens. It doesnt devalue his worth.

just a note, my post was more about valuing a player based on his salary compared to bad on what we traded to get him on the list.

But judging by your post Chris Dawes should be a great pick up for the club. I think he will bring effort, endeavour, leadership and that next day die attitude you seem to be taking about much more than he will bring a bag of goals or the ability to win games of his own boot.

You guys may well be right.

But at the moment I see 12 games and 12 goals for a senior forward line player.

God I hope he can do better the 1 goal a game in 2014.

When he averages 3 or 4 goals a game and can play at least 17 match's in a season I may change my mind about him. I may even respect him as a player.

TBH I don't rate too many current MFC listed players which does saddens me as a supporter/member.

At the moment I have the opinion that an average AFL players look like champions in the MFC current players list.

But my view can turn quickly once I see the team is capable of being competitive and GFS actual win more the 4 games in a single season.

Call me sceptical, call me late to lunch, I don't care as long as other Clubs don't call my team a joke.

You guys may well be right.

But at the moment I see 12 games and 12 goals for a senior forward line player.

God I hope he can do better the 1 goal a game in 2014.

When he averages 3 or 4 goals a game and can play at least 17 match's in a season I may change my mind about him. I may even respect him as a player.

TBH I don't rate too many current MFC listed players which does saddens me as a supporter/member.

At the moment I have the opinion that an average AFL players look like champions in the MFC current players list.

But my view can turn quickly once I see the team is capable of being competitive and GFS actual win more the 4 games in a single season.

Call me sceptical, call me late to lunch, I don't care as long as other Clubs don't call my team a joke.

Nothing quite like a realistic expectation.

The Coleman Medalist averaged less than 3 goals a game in the team that finished on top of the ladder. You certainly have high benchmarks for a player in his first year after changing teams as a forward in a team that had least forward 50 entries.

• Like 1

Nothing quite like a realistic expectation.

The Coleman Medalist averaged less than 3 goals a game in the team that finished on top of the ladder. You certainly have high benchmarks for a player in his first year after changing teams as a forward in a team that had least forward 50 entries.

Sorry but I no longer settle for second best.

I understand he has a lot of support at the MFC.

But IMO actions speak louder then words.

So lets see what he can done in 2014 as he done little in 2013.

Performance is everything and excuses in IMO is why this Club has the worst players list in the league.

Go the Dees!

Sorry but I no longer settle for second best.

I understand he has a lot of support at the MFC.

But IMO actions speak louder then words.

So lets see what he can done in 2014 as he done little in 2013.

Performance is everything and excuses in IMO is why this Club has the worst players list in the league.

Go the Dees!

And presuming you have the same expectations for Clarke and Hogan, can I assume you will not be satisfied with their efforts unless they come first second and third in the Coleman. Only one is likely to actually win, so I presume you will be extremely disatisfied with which ever of the three come second and third in the league goal kicking.

Of course, you could actually have realistic expectations?

And presuming you have the same expectations for Clarke and Hogan, can I assume you will not be satisfied with their efforts unless they come first second and third in the Coleman. Only one is likely to actually win, so I presume you will be extremely disatisfied with which ever of the three come second and third in the league goal kicking.

Of course, you could actually have realistic expectations?

I think its best not to assume anything.

Hogan is a young player who not played a games of AFL football, he clearly needs time to develop.

How any games has Clarke played for the MFC?

He is clearly a good player but that counts for nothing if he not able to play.

Poor guy couldn't get his body right. Is a good influence size wise, and seems to have assumed his leadership role with vigour.

Can't understand the call to cut him loose. We would have to pay him out, and give that money elsewhere too.

Sorry to be too critical HFF but Dees supporters have been saying that for numerous players for half a century now.

If you cannot get on the park then you cannot contribute.

Now I am not saying he was not trying.

But players who are injury prone are not much use if we are going to improve.

If he follows the path of 2013 in 2014 I will be grading him a flop.

Like about 15 others, 2014 will determine his worth.

• Like 1

It frightens me to think how much worse our playing group would be without Chris Dawes at the MFC.

The man is a born leader on and off the field, a huge presence on the field and in the changerooms

He is worth every penny.

I was unsure when he first came to the club about his value. I am now sold and think his influence will be significant. He is a big man who will relish his upgraded leadership role from what he had at Collingwood

As others have said IF we can get the triumvirate of terror fully functional god help the leagues back lines.