MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION

Demonland

I would've dropped Davey weeks ago but now is not the time. Let's give him a farewell game and see if he can produce. He has had his patches this year.

Down back it's a question of bring Pedersen in and free up a Dunn or Garland for smaller opponents or not. I say we don't and we let Terlich and Strauss show what they can do against the best small forward pairing in the comp in Walters and Ballantyne.

Midfield is just a question of how bad the damage will be but we were smashed last time and it's time to see if Jones, Viney, Trengove and co can at least gain some respectability back.

Up forward it's obvious that Fitzpatrick, Davis and Watts isn't half the combination that we hope Clark, Dawes and Hogan will be but again if they work hard it will be a start. Although I would consider Watts for the roaming wing and half forward role again.

In the ruck it will be a question of 3 rucks with Gawn in or not. Personally I'd expose Spencer to a full on battle against Sandilands and Clarke. He's got the speed to go with Clarke and to get away from Sandilands and it's the ultimate test of his rucking ability.

Things I'd love to get out of this game:

- A small forward - Kent, Tapscott or Blease to find a way to influence the game

- Aaron Davey to go out on a high

- Strauss and/or Terlich stand up as small defenders

- Spencer and Fitzpatrick to match them in the ruck

- Colin Sylvia actually pay an opponent some respect

- One of Trengove or Grimes to have an impact in the middle

- Watts to play like a man against a team of men

And as always against Freo - Ballantyne and/or Crowley to get some of their own medicine.

Definitely don't drop Tapscott he played well last week and I hope Strauss is ok for this week because he was playing well until Brown decided to break his nose.

Sucks losing Clisby after his best game yet!

There are so many that I want to have as outs but there is little waiting in the sheds.

Possible outs:

Davey (sucks), Nicholson (sucks), Byrnes (sucks), M Jones (rest)

Possible ins:

Gawn, Magner, Taggert, Jetta (hasn't earned it - only one good game)...... Dawes and Frawley (if fit)

Taggert you could argue is not ready but Taggert can't do any worse than Davey or Nicho so maybe he could replace Davey as sub?

I had just about forgot Taggert's name.... Jeez two years and zero games.... Surely this has to be corrected.... Can he play? Why do we have players that don't play?

As this is a record breaking season for the MFC could we simple not field a team due to not being able to find 18 players who are at basic AFL standard for this weeks game?

Failing that approach, could we apply to the AFL to swap the MFC with Casey for the week end. Atleast Casey knows how to win and should have a real crack at Freo.

I have the feeling that in 2013, any discussions about team selection is like shifting seats in the Titanic, pointless and not likely to effect the final result.

TBH we are that bad and I just want the 2013 season to end so the team Culling can begin.

Backs Lynden Dunn Colin Garland Dean Terlich
Half backs Matt Jones Tom McDonald James Strauss
Centreline Jordie McKenzie Jack Trengove Jeremy Howe
Half forwards Jack Viney Jack Watts Shannon Byrnes
Forwards Colin Sylvia Jack Fitzpatrick Troy Davis
Followers Jake Spencer Jack Grimes Nathan Jones
Interchange (from) Sam Blease Aaron Davey Max Gawn Dean Kent Cameron Pedersen, David Rodan Luke Tapscott

I think the final bench will be: Davey, Kent, Pedersen, Rodan (Sub).

Pedersen has done enough in the past few weeks to justify his spot for this week.

Davey will have a farewell game at the MCG.

Kent is a lock.

Rodan has been playing well at Casey by all reports, and in the rain we need smalls and he is ahead of Tapscott IMO.

When you look at defensive match-ups, Pedo has to play.

Tom Mac gets Pav and Garland has to play on Mayne, who at the moment is their most dangerous lead-up forward.

Given how well Dunny played on Lindsay Thomas, he's ideal to play on the serial pest Ballantyne.
I think our chiefs are hoping that Davis can do a negating job up forward like last week, nullifying the run of Johnson, so that leaves Pedo to pick up Sandilands and Clarke.

Pedo also has the ability to kick long and given Freo's press, we will need players capable of breaking the line, so even though many doubt Pedo's defensive abilities, he does give us that offensive option.

Terlich would pick up Walters, who is quicker than Ballantyne, and Strauss would take the in-form Neale.

It seemed logical to me to play Gawn to help Spencer against Clarke and Sandilands, but given we have named both Davis and Fitzy in the 18, his selection along with Pedo would make us way too top heavy against such a fast side like the Dockers.

Kent is safely in the side and my source at the club tells me that Davey rejected overtures of retirement this week and wants to try his luck next year with a new coach.

Given Davey is fresh from playing as a sub last week, I imagine he would beat Bleasey for the role of playing on Hill and it means we all get a good chance to see if he has still got any high-Ho left in him.

That would leave Tappy as the sub with Gawn, Rodan and Blease left out.

Freo play a game of keepings off, so Nathan Jones, Jack Viney and Sylvia et al have to be careful not to blaze away from the centre bounces, because that plays into their hands.

Our best chance of scoring, and against Freo, any score is worthy of a celebration, is to break clear from their press with precise ball movement and utilise the speed of Watts, Fitzy and Kent on the break.

I'm hoping Howey plays on Freo's whiz Fyfe - what a battle in the air that would be. That would leave Jordie to tag either Barlow, who usually carves us up, or Mundy. Hopefully Freo rests up one of them for the finals

Crowley will most likely tag Nat Jones and Matt Jones should go to Danyle Pearce.

Sadly I have not mentioned either of our two skippers, which probably shows how their importance to the side has dropped.

With Clisby out, I imagine Grimesy will be part of our seven-man backline rotation this week and float through a variety of roles, depending on which of our other six defenders is off the ground.

I'd love to see Trenners tag Mundy, but I'm not sure the club has the confidence to give him such a big role anymore.

One of the great things about this week is we will get to see a side that plays with system and has the belief that flows from knowing precisely your role.

But provided our defenders don't panic and take the game on when they get a chance, for some stupid reason I think we can cause them problems on the counterattack.

Silvagni and Dawson aren't superstars and Duffield doesn't play close, so you never know.

Realistically however a loss by less than 50 points would be a great effort.

"Davey rejected overtures of retirement this week and wants to try his luck next year with a new coach."

FFS, he's had 4 different Coaches in the last 3 years and his contribution has not wavered.

• Like 1

Final team:

Round 21 Melbourne team
B: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Dean Terlich
HB: Matt Jones, Tom McDonald, James Strauss
C: Jordie McKenzie, Jack Trengove, Jeremy Howe
HF: Jack Viney, Jack Watts, Shannon Byrnes
F: Colin Sylvia, Jack Fitzpatrick, Troy Davis
FOLL: Jake Spencer, Jack Grimes, Nathan Jones
I/C: Sam Blease, Dean Kent, Luke Tapscott, Aaron Davey
EMG: David Rodan, Cameron Pedersen, Max Gawn
IN: Sam Blease, Jeremy Howe
OUT: Mitch Clisby (suspension), Daniel Nicholson

I know isolated showers are forecast but I don't quite see how you can leave out Pedo when they have Sandilands or Clarke standing in the goalsquare when they are resting.

But then, I didn't get why we went for outside run against Geelong and North, despite the fact that they have a stack of hard-bodied midfielders.

One positive is we have picked just about our fastest side possible.

And it more than likely means Davis will get a chance to play as a defender once Craigy realises he needs another tall down back.

I know isolated showers are forecast but I don't quite see how you can leave out Pedo when they have Sandilands or Clarke standing in the goalsquare when they are resting.

But then, I didn't get why we went for outside run against Geelong and North, despite the fact that they have a stack of hard-bodied midfielders.

One positive is we have picked just about our fastest side possible.

And it more than likely means Davis will get a chance to play as a defender once Craigy realises he needs another tall down back.

Pedo is rubbish 1-1 (and in general), Jetta would do better on Sandi or Clarke.

• Like 1

Just getting ready to head to the G. Who else is bothering?

Im watching old videos getting in the mood

I will have a beer with friends at 12.30 pm

Enjoy the game BBO