OUT: Abbott IN: Turnbull

Soidee

I want to make comment on the overused use of the words by the party winning an election - "we have a clear mandate...."

Makes me wanna puke every time I hear the current crop of polly's utter this nonsense.

You have a clear mandate when the electorate gives the winning party an unimpeded path to pass legislation and that means winning both houses of parliament.

What you have Mr Abbott is 48% of Australians who don't necessarily agree with you. What you don't have is control of both houses and what you certainly don't have is a clear mandate.

I want to make comment on the overused use of the words by the party winning an election - "we have a clear mandate...."

Makes me wanna puke every time I hear the current crop of polly's utter this nonsense.

You have a clear mandate when the electorate gives the winning party an unimpeded path to pass legislation and that means winning both houses of parliament.

What you have Mr Abbott is 48% of Australians who don't necessarily agree with you. What you don't have is control of both houses and what you certainly don't have is a clear mandate.

just have to wait till jun 2014 then nut

btw is there a diff between clear mandate and mandate

if its political talk its all tish anyway

better things to get your knickers in a knot - like winning games

I'm with you nut. It doesn't raise my ire, but I do shake my head at constant talk of a "mandate". Abbott has a mandate to govern, and therefore to INTRODUCE proposed legislation to Parliament. Putting aside that 48% wanted someone else, the idea that a mandate abolishes opposition is purely totalitarian.

I can only smile at Dr No throwing a hissy fit now the shoe is on the other foot. The grinch is threatening to make them all work til Christmas. Kinda like the rest of the country already does.

just have to wait till jun 2014 then nut

btw is there a diff between clear mandate and mandate

if its political talk its all tish anyway

better things to get your knickers in a knot - like winning games

even in 2014 there wont be a mandate - The libs have got to rely on whackjobs.

you are right about all being tish - i wish there was one straight talker in politics...alas

and my knickers are so knotted from footy that it is cutting off my blood supply

Edited by nutbean

That's the point isn't it; there are probably quite a few of those that didn't vote for the Libs that would agree with some of his policies. The swinging voters usually works out which party has the most policies they agree with, but that doesn't mean they disagree with all the positions of the other party.

I agree with same sex marriage but I wouldn't vote for the Labor Party just for that.

I'm with you nut. It doesn't raise my ire, but I do shake my head at constant talk of a "mandate". Abbott has a mandate to govern, and therefore to INTRODUCE proposed legislation to Parliament. Putting aside that 48% wanted someone else, the idea that a mandate abolishes opposition is purely totalitarian.

I can only smile at Dr No throwing a hissy fit now the shoe is on the other foot. The grinch is threatening to make them all work til Christmas. Kinda like the rest of the country already does.

So what's the point of having a majority in the lower house from where all legislation emanates? According to you there is no mandate and the votes in the lower house mean nothing; what did Keating call the upper house, unrepresentative swill.

Remember there was only a half senate election; if it was a full senate election they may, given the mood of the public, won a majority in both houses.

So what's the point of having a majority in the lower house from where all legislation emanates? According to you there is no mandate and the votes in the lower house mean nothing; what did Keating call the upper house, unrepresentative swill.

Remember there was only a half senate election; if it was a full senate election they may, given the mood of the public, won a majority in both houses.

Oh hey Rob, how are things?

Coulda shoulda woulda. They don't have a double majority. There is a house of review for a reason. Just because you win an election does not mean you have the entire will of the Australian people to do whatever the hell you want. It doesn't work that way.

Oh hey Rob, how are things?

Coulda shoulda woulda. They don't have a double majority. There is a house of review for a reason. Just because you win an election does not mean you have the entire will of the Australian people to do whatever the hell you want. It doesn't work that way.

They will be able to get legislation through in July when the new senators take up their posts, so this is just another obstruction to Governing and doing what the majority of the electorate, at the last election, wanted them to do.

Never mind, I see where you're coming from, no Government should be able to implement their program unless the opposition agrees with it, sounds like a plan to me.

Things are ok by the way, you?

They will be able to get legislation through in July when the new senators take up their posts, so this is just another obstruction to Governing and doing what the majority of the electorate, at the last election, wanted them to do.

Never mind, I see where you're coming from, no Government should be able to implement their program unless the opposition agrees with it, sounds like a plan to me.

Things are ok by the way, you?

Not bad thanks mate. Daily grind with an eye towards Friday. The usual.

Re same sex marriage, I'm glad there are some issues (or in this case, non-issues) where you are willing to stray from party lines. You would have been happy to see that the first marriages will still go ahead in our nation's capital this weekend.

Re same sex marriage, I'm glad there are some issues (or in this case, non-issues) where you are willing to stray from party lines. You would have been happy to see that the first marriages will still go ahead in our nation's capital this weekend.

I am a fervent supporter of same sex marriage. Why shouldn't [censored] people have the same right to be as miserable as straight people.

edit - how could that word be censored????

Edited by nutbean

There are many issues I disagree with, but on balance I agree with their principles over the Labor Party's lack of any principle.

It can become a grind at times and there are some weeks where I wake up thinking every day is Friday and being disappointed when I realise it's not.

Good heavens Robbie have you realised we are under attack as I write this from East Timor. Thank heavens for George Brandis and his spooks. I mean I was on the look out for leaky boats from Indonesia for insurgents that would burst through our sovereign borders, now I find the East Timorese are threatening our sovereignty by taking us to an international court at the Hague. When will the siege end?

Maybe today's raid by ASIO on an East Timor representative lawyers apartment will turn the tide. These are indeed worrying times we live in.

Oh and just to clarify things our spying on East Timor happened under J Howard. Raiding Lawyers premises who are representing East Timor is not a good look.

Apparently there was a national security issue involved with East Timor?? What's George on about I wonder.

The two hardest government departments to manage are Defence (including DSD) and ASIO. They are laws unto themselves and almost impossible to control. They can do what they like under the guise of national security and secrecy, and they never face inquisition, or budgetary constraints.

Defence has 'defeated' every one of its Ministers, Liberal or Labor, over issues in the last three decades. I worked for five years in the Defence Department, and I know how they think and how they work.

Attorneys-General jump as high as asked in regard to what ASIO wants. If ASIO thinks there's a security issue with East Timor, no one else will ever find out what it is, or even if it's real.

It OK Hood the New Zealanders have taken out their own air force capabilities so we are winning on that front. But their small canoes may go undetected if they try a landing in Australia. So best we go and bomb them first as they are taking Australian jobs and must be taught a lesson. Plus they play rugby and not Aussie Rules Football which is a sin and not the true Australian way.

It OK Hood the New Zealanders have taken out their own air force capabilities so we are winning on that front. But their small canoes may go undetected if they try a landing in Australia. So best we go and bomb them first as they are taking Australian jobs and must be taught a lesson. Plus they play rugby and not Aussie Rules Football which is a sin and not the true Australian way.

didn't the last kiwi who tried canoeing across the ditch, drown?

But they still have a number of Reserves DC, so one or two may make it across.

New Zealanders are very sneaky!

use-img_7217-reduced-websized.jpg

Edited by TheBigFrog

But they still have a number of Reserves DC, so one or two may make it across.

New Zealanders are very sneaky!

You guys are looking in the wrong direction. Tonight the news is that a leaky boat landed on Christmas Island on Monday! Our sovereign borders have been breached yet again! I am feeling vulnerable, I mean I now work down at Docklands, can Scott Morrison guarantee that a boat won't land outside my office? What would I do then?

Where's that three star general when you need him?

You guys are looking in the wrong direction. Tonight the news is that a leaky boat landed on Christmas Island on Monday! Our sovereign borders have been breached yet again! I am feeling vulnerable, I mean I now work down at Docklands, can Scott Morrison guarantee that a boat won't land outside my office? What would I do then?

there's always the citizens militia

oh that's right, wrong country....i get confused sometimes

There no problem Hood

Christmas Island is managed by the WA Govt so there nothing to worry about.

So it will take them ages to get to you guys on the East Coast.

We in the West do have a secret weapon that will stop the invasion of the hordes of sea people.

And its name is ABBOTT!

Why would anyone want to come to Australia while that DH is running the place?

526525_486981848064255_1813457545_n.jpg

Edited by TheBigFrog

I thought you were happy to see them arrive, so why would you want to do anything? Just take them home and show a bit of hospitality, can't see the problem.

The ABC will do anything to embarrass Liberal Governments; Scott should be sacked immediately and the ABC sold off for scrap.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/campbell-newman-blasts-abcs-footage-of-anti-bikie-chief/story-e6frg996-1226777476715

QUEENSLAND Premier Campbell Newman has accused the ABC of "flippant and irresponsible" coverage of the government's war on bikie gangs after it broadcast pictures of the house of the man co-ordinating the government's campaign, and named the suburb and house number.

After the ABC report on the 7pm news on Thursday night about the appointment of former military officer Bill Mellor to head the government's anti-bikie Strategic Monitoring Team, Mr Newman tried to ring ABC managing director Mark Scott but could only contact a news editor.

Queensland Police were immediately sent to Mr Mellor's house to provide protection.

Mr Newman yesterday contacted Mr Scott directly and he also wrote to Tony Abbott on the matter, claiming in his letter to the Prime Minister that the ABC broadcast "seriously and maliciously undermined the security and safety of a Queensland government employee".

"The reprehensible actions of ABC employees involved in this incident brought Mrs Mellor to tears and sparked a swift review of the family's personal security arrangements, including a decision by the Commissioner of Police to immediately provide police protection," the letter says. "There can be no justification, especially given the ABC's Code of Practice 2013, for broadcasting details and images of his residence.

"The response that local ABC has provided to this issue underscores my view that they are treating government, police and crime agency concerns about criminal gang activity in a flippant and irresponsible manner."

By late yesterday the ABC had written back to both Mr Newman and Mr Mellor, and said in the letter they regretted the footage that identified Mr Mellor's house.

The letter said the ABC had taken immediate action to pixelate the footage and remove any reference to the suburb, and that since a complaint had been lodged, the matter would be the subject of an inquiry by the ABC's audience and consumer affairs department.

The appointment of Mr Mellor, under whom Mr Newman served when he was in the army, has been attacked in Queensland by the Police Union, which says the position should go to a police officer, and the opposition, which says the process of Mr Mellor's appointment was not transparent and was another case of "jobs the boys".

The government has stressed that Mr Mellor works across all agencies, and says while that includes the police force, there are many other elements of the government involved.

The ABC will do anything to embarrass Liberal Governments; Scott should be sacked immediately and the ABC sold off for scrap.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/campbell-newman-blasts-abcs-footage-of-anti-bikie-chief/story-e6frg996-1226777476715

QUEENSLAND Premier Campbell Newman has accused the ABC of "flippant and irresponsible" coverage of the government's war on bikie gangs after it broadcast pictures of the house of the man co-ordinating the government's campaign, and named the suburb and house number.

After the ABC report on the 7pm news on Thursday night about the appointment of former military officer Bill Mellor to head the government's anti-bikie Strategic Monitoring Team, Mr Newman tried to ring ABC managing director Mark Scott but could only contact a news editor.

Queensland Police were immediately sent to Mr Mellor's house to provide protection.

Mr Newman yesterday contacted Mr Scott directly and he also wrote to Tony Abbott on the matter, claiming in his letter to the Prime Minister that the ABC broadcast "seriously and maliciously undermined the security and safety of a Queensland government employee".

"The reprehensible actions of ABC employees involved in this incident brought Mrs Mellor to tears and sparked a swift review of the family's personal security arrangements, including a decision by the Commissioner of Police to immediately provide police protection," the letter says. "There can be no justification, especially given the ABC's Code of Practice 2013, for broadcasting details and images of his residence.

"The response that local ABC has provided to this issue underscores my view that they are treating government, police and crime agency concerns about criminal gang activity in a flippant and irresponsible manner."

By late yesterday the ABC had written back to both Mr Newman and Mr Mellor, and said in the letter they regretted the footage that identified Mr Mellor's house.

The letter said the ABC had taken immediate action to pixelate the footage and remove any reference to the suburb, and that since a complaint had been lodged, the matter would be the subject of an inquiry by the ABC's audience and consumer affairs department.

The appointment of Mr Mellor, under whom Mr Newman served when he was in the army, has been attacked in Queensland by the Police Union, which says the position should go to a police officer, and the opposition, which says the process of Mr Mellor's appointment was not transparent and was another case of "jobs the boys".

The government has stressed that Mr Mellor works across all agencies, and says while that includes the police force, there are many other elements of the government involved.

Robbie I think you need to lighten up a bit. Poor judgement by the ABC in this case yes but that's not a case to sell off the whole company surely. They haven't been accused of phone hacking and destroying peoples lives yet as far as I know. What would you think of a media company that did that I wonder?

Robbie I think you need to lighten up a bit. Poor judgement by the ABC in this case yes but that's not a case to sell off the whole company surely. They haven't been accused of phone hacking and destroying peoples lives yet as far as I know. What would you think of a media company that did that I wonder?

Haven't they?

How much damage do you think the release of the information regarding the phone tapping has cost the Australian Public? The Indonesians are looking elsewhere for live cattle imports, how many jobs and livelihoods will that cost? How many illegals will die attempting to cross to Australia now the Indonesians are refusing to cooperate?You really don't look at the big picture do you. How many of the Murdoch Newspapers in Australia have been convicted or suspected of phone hacking?

The ABC is a useless waste of Public Funds and no longer serves any purpose. There is nothing that they do that can't be done, and done better, by any other organisation. The ABC think they have the overwhelming support of the general public, which is funny when you consider not one person I know or work with has any interest or offers any support for them.

If you are left leaning and anti Liberal then of course you'd love them.

​BTW if the bike gangs harm Bill Mellor or his family would you still feel the same; probably it's all in the Public Interest after all.

Edited by RobbieF