Ditch those stupid collars, please.

P-man

Collar shmollar. Get that crappy maroon off the Demon's jumper and go back to keeping our eye on the RED & the blue. Too Lionesk for mine. Bloody Cam and his heritage fixation!

I actually really like the collar, the logo, the deeper red, the blazers, but not so much the bugle.

It has nothing to do with the match day tripe which has been served up.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

There's a noticeable split between supporters on Demonland. I'll call them the traditionalists and the modernists (obviously a massive generalisation).

The Cultured Traditionalist (The European)

Values the identity of the club as being part of the establishment, and favours a brand image guided by our rich heritage and past.

Probably reads The Guardian or The Economist, watches SBS and ABC and lives inner city or out in the country.

Prefers the British English spelling of words (organisation).

Drinks wine, or beer from green glass bottles.

MCC member (or on the waiting list... still...).

Would take a free holiday to any destination in Europe.

Mistakenly believes that holding on to past glory will bring it back.

The Modernist (The American)

Values an identity that does away with the links to the establishment, as it's seen as some sort of bourgeoisie class identity which they don't identify with.

Probably reads the Hun, watches reality TV or cooking/renovation shows on channel nine and lives in the suburbs.

Prefers the American English spelling of words (organization).

Drinks beer from brown or clear glass bottles.

Would take a free holiday to any destination in the USA.

Mistakenly believes that modernising will lead to success.

---

We need both kinds of fans, we need all the fans we can get!

An interesting discussion for the off-season I think. Has absolutely nothing to do with the on field performance.

• Like 1

The current logo, the jumper design, the bugler, these things are legacies of the Schwab era and may well stand to be dumped/replaced/modified with new administratoin.

The bugler's already been demoted to only as the final siren approaches during a win, but it should be dispelled altogether.

The logo I'm not fussed about, I think it serves its purpose and I don't think the cost of changing it outweighs any possible benefit right now.

The jumper design, to me, is fine. The collars are I guess a bit silly, so they could go, but otherwise there's not a lot to worry about there.

What do you want to do about the clash strip? If you don't like white, you're going to have to get used to it.

The bugler sounds woosy and is an affectation we can do without. I liked the Tige's drumming as they ran out - it got the blood pumping and had a terrific, primal sound to it - far more befitting a footy club than a bugler! My 2c

The current logo, the jumper design, the bugler, these things are legacies of the Schwab era and may well stand to be dumped/replaced/modified with new administratoin.

The bugler's already been demoted to only as the final siren approaches during a win, but it should be dispelled altogether.

The logo I'm not fussed about, I think it serves its purpose and I don't think the cost of changing it outweighs any possible benefit right now.

The jumper design, to me, is fine. The collars are I guess a bit silly, so they could go, but otherwise there's not a lot to worry about there.

For me, it's not just about the ludicrousness of the bugler, or the soulless mish mash of a logo, or the dinky attempt at giving a nod to our heritage with the schoolboy blazers, or the jumper design with the collar that looks like a tailor's afterthought. Everyone will have their own opinion on each of these things. For me, collectively, it is just as much about them being symbolic of an era that has been nothing short of disaster. In an attempt to give the club a unique brand, they have come to represent a club that has been about everything except playing football.

So whilst I might have picked on an insignificant, albeit annoying facet, what am I really driving at is I think these things should all be reviewed and in some cases should go. A rebuild of this club from top to bottom should be all encompassing.

Edited by P_Man
  • Like 1

The collars, blazers, emblem and kit colour are the work of Schwab.

Then they all must go!

this thread is very similar to the statements about how players must shave their beards in order to play well.

if we were winning games, people would not care about jumpers, blazers or beards, but as we arent, in my opinion everything is seen as a bigger issue than it really is.

i for one, like the jumpers, and i like the collar but at the end of the day i dont really see how it makes a difference, i think the collar adds to the appearance rather than takes anything away.

i also dont mind the blazers, i like the unity and team feel they bring, much similar to how a team rule for the team i coach is that every player must own and wear a team polo on match day.

this thread is very similar to the statements about how players must shave their beards in order to play well.

if we were winning games, people would not care about jumpers, blazers or beards, but as we arent, in my opinion everything is seen as a bigger issue than it really is.

i for one, like the jumpers, and i like the collar but at the end of the day i dont really see how it makes a difference, i think the collar adds to the appearance rather than takes anything away.

i also dont mind the blazers, i like the unity and team feel they bring, much similar to how a team rule for the team i coach is that every player must own and wear a team polo on match day.

It's a fair point and I'll be first to admit that if we were sitting at the opposite end of the ladder, my feelings about all of Schwab's gimmicks might be very different.

But I do think jumper design is important irrespective of how the team is travelling. You only have to look at the response from fans to when the Lions wore their old jumper from their premiership era recently. Overwhelming support for making it a permanent thing. Likewise with the Lions new Disney-esque lion logo. They all hate it.

These things do form part of the connection you feel to your club. To me, a footy jumper should look like a footy jumper. I mean we're already seen as a bunch of toffs who wouldn't go to the tip without wearing a collared shirt, do we really have to enforce that stereotype on the field as well? :D

It's a fair point and I'll be first to admit that if we were sitting at the opposite end of the ladder, my feelings about all of Schwab's gimmicks might be very different.

But I do think jumper design is important irrespective of how the team is travelling. You only have to look at the response from fans to when the Lions wore their old jumper from their premiership era recently. Overwhelming support for making it a permanent thing. Likewise with the Lions new Disney-esque lion logo. They all hate it.

These things do form part of the connection you feel to your club. To me, a footy jumper should look like a footy jumper. I mean we're already seen as a bunch of toffs who wouldn't go to the tip without wearing a collared shirt, do we really have to enforce that stereotype on the field as well? :D

Exactly, how can we be taken seriously in a jumper with such a tiny collar, let alone make it to the Finals? My friend, a Carlton supporter, rang me last night and pulled the proverbial out of me for our teams collars, enough is enough how many more games must we lose until we change it! Now i say!

i do think the difference change in brisbanes logo is causing outrage due to the movement away from the past and this is frustating the old fitzroy supporters, from what i gather at least.

i personally think the football jumper collar doesnt have a toff look to it, when compared to the blazers, but i still like the blazers, as i said i feel it is definitely a non issue and jumper design often changes every 4 or so years due to sponsorship deals anyway, so we might end up with a new one if we end up needing to find a new sponsor

• Like 1

i do think the difference change in brisbanes logo is causing outrage due to the movement away from the past and this is frustating the old fitzroy supporters, from what i gather at least.

i personally think the football jumper collar doesnt have a toff look to it, when compared to the blazers, but i still like the blazers, as i said i feel it is definitely a non issue and jumper design often changes every 4 or so years due to sponsorship deals anyway, so we might end up with a new one if we end up needing to find a new sponsor

It's meant to you know. It's a subtle and natty suggestion of the days when the measure of a man's success was how often he could afford to change his shirt collar.

It was then of course much cheaper to launder and starch a single collar rather than a whole shirt to give it a crisp and fresh look.

I'm inclined to think it looks daffy as opposed to natty.

The irony was I got turned down from entering the MCC because the jersey collar wasn't "collar enough!" I'm not sure if there was a metaphor in this about Schwab's legacy or not. :)

• Like 2

The irony was I got turned down from entering the MCC because the jersey collar wasn't "collar enough!" I'm not sure if there was a metaphor in this about Schwab's legacy or not. :)

Rules are rules. I got accosted by The Corps of Commisionaires bloke on the door of the Member's Bar at Flemington once.

I was wearing a blue pin-stripe suit with collar and tie but he couldn't see the the c & t because of my lambswool sweater, he said.

I actually think the problem was more my collar-length hair.

Rules are rules. I got accosted by The Corps of Commisionaires bloke on the door of the Member's Bar at Flemington once.

I was wearing a blue pin-stripe suit with collar and tie but he couldn't see the the c & t because of my lambswool sweater, he said.

I actually think the problem was more my collar-length hair.

Having long hair pretty much guarantees being stopped at airports. 100% strike rate when I had it.

Bring back the tight shorts for the Ladies!

Added benefit is may be Warwick Kaper can play in the Mid field for us!