Queens Birthday Clash

BrisbaneDemon

People on here who want the MFC to play matches at Casey Fields are really wishing we play in the VAFA.

Our home the MCG holds 100,000 seats. I want to see the place full

That is bullsh!t.

I don't think that we should play at Casey for any other reason than it will set us up as a power club.

It would cement us in that area. It would allow us to make a mint on games we would not make any money on at all.

Do you really think I would play Collingwood there, or Hawthorn, or Essendon?

We would play GWS there. We would break even at 5k, the way Geelong does, and we would make $500k a game if we got 20k people to go.

I don't care about any other team than the MFC and I don't care if it bad for football, bad for the state, or even bad for MFC fans who don't want to travel.

It would be good for my club and that is all I care about.

• Like 4

That is bullsh!t.

I don't think that we should play at Casey for any other reason than it will set us up as a power club.

It would cement us in that area. It would allow us to make a mint on games we would not make any money on at all.

We would play GWS there. We would break even at 5k, the way Geelong does, and we would make $500k a game if we got 20k people to go.

I don't care about any other team than the MFC and I don't care if it bad for football, bad for the state, or even bad for MFC fans who don't want to travel.

Then think BIG rp.

Stop down sizing.

I repeat we are the name of the City. Use it

Playing AFL Games of any sort at Casey fields is Bullsh!t

Edited by why you little
  • Like 1

That is bullsh!t.

Agree totally with this, whilst I'm all for embracing our traditions we need to think outside the square and home games against Meth Coast, Freo, Port, Brissy, GWS and Suns will never attract over 50k even if both teams playing are flying.

Time to think outside "This is the way we have always done things and this is our home", IMO it is a risk worth taking and I maintain games against Swans and all Vic based clubs be played at the G. The only need for us to play away from the G would be at Etihad where we are the away side or play at Casey if both ourselves and either of the Dogs, Roos or Saints were struggling. With that scenario we get the majority of the crowd and make a handy profit

Agree totally with this, whilst I'm all for embracing our traditions we need to think outside the square and home games against Meth Coast, Freo, Port, Brissy, GWS and Suns will never attract over 50k even if both teams playing are flying.

Time to think outside "This is the way we have always done things and this is our home", IMO it is a risk worth taking and I maintain games against Swans and all Vic based clubs be played at the G. The only need for us to play away from the G would be at Etihad where we are the away side or play at Casey if both ourselves and either of the Dogs, Roos or Saints were struggling. With that scenario we get the majority of the crowd and make a handy profit

Or you could aim to have 40,000 MFC Members/Supporters attend an interstate game.

It all depends on how serious the club REALLY is about winning more flags.

The easy way out is to aim small and keep polishing the cups we already have.

I know which way i would prefer.

Then think BIG rp.

Stop down sizing.

I repeat we are the name of the City. Use it

Playing AFL Games of any sort at Casey fields is Bullsh!t

WYL you keep making nothing statements, there is nothing to back us 'thinking big'.

We have a small supporter base, we need to accept that. We aren't going to be financially sound at the MCG through supporter/crowd numbers for a long time, until we are a powerhouse again.

Incase you haven't noticed, we continually lose money through poor showings at the G. I understand you probably have a lot of nostalgia about eras past at the G but we need another option.

Or you could aim to have 40,000 MFC Members/Supporters attend an interstate game.

It all depends on how serious the club REALLY is about winning more flags.

The easy way out is to aim small and keep polishing the cups we already have.

I know which way i would prefer.

Geelong make $700k from 28k down at Skilled - you follow me?

For us to make that sort of money at the G we would have to get 80k down to a game - you still there?

How, in the name of all that is unholy, are we supposed to get 80k to a game against anyone other than the big Melbourne clubs?

You think I am thinking small - I am thinking so large you can't see my thinking.

Your thinking is revolving around my thinking.

WYL you keep making nothing statements, there is nothing to back us 'thinking big'.

We have a small supporter base, we need to accept that. We aren't going to be financially sound at the MCG through supporter/crowd numbers for a long time, until we are a powerhouse again.

Incase you haven't noticed, we continually lose money through poor showings at the G. I understand you probably have a lot of nostalgia about eras past at the G but we need another option.

Keep thinking small & you shall Recieve what you wish.

My thoughts are far from nostalgic. They center around a 100,000 seat stadium.

We have a small supporter base because we continually under perform. ie. Lose

If you wish to give our stadium over to Carlton next year keep thinking small.

Me i wish to kick at the doors of the MFC until they think BIG again. We could pull 70-80,000 in the late 80's-90's. i know i was there.

This is part of the reason i will at least listen to the Jeff Kennett ticket.

Jeff thinks on a Big Scale.

Me i wish to kick at the doors of the MFC until they think BIG again. We could pull 70-80,000 in the late 80's-90's. i know i was there.

So you think we can pull 70k for GWS, GC, Freo, WC, Syd, Adel, and PA games?

Because that is what we are talking about.

We are talking about making $2m in games we usually lose money from and keeping all the games that people 'like going to' at the G.

Still revolving, wyl.

WYL you say you aren't thinking nostalgically, yet you reference the 80's-90's. That was 20 years ago, things are different now.

We need more realistic expectations until we are a stronger club but I just don't think you are getting it.

• Like 1

Geelong make $700k from 28k down at Skilled - you follow me?

For us to make that sort of money at the G we would have to get 80k down to a game - you still there?

How, in the name of all that is unholy, are we supposed to get 80k to a game against anyone other than the big Melbourne clubs?

You think I am thinking small - I am thinking so large you can't see my thinking.

Your thinking is revolving around my thinking.

Kardinia Park is Geelong's home in the heart of a city.

Casey Field is not our home and is located in the sticks. Hardly comparable in my eyes.

Stop thinking small. You will not change my thinking and i certainly would not travel out to that ground to watch AFL Football. It's dangerous on PT. it is an area to score substances.

Living in Canberra i am sure you have been there often.

WYL you say you aren't thinking nostalgically, yet you reference the 80's-90's. That was 20 years ago, things are different now.

We need more realistic expectations until we are a stronger club but I just don't think you are getting it.

You expect to become a stronger club by downgrading do you?

Oh i get it alright, as well as i got CS' Red & Blueprint.

C'mon guys, credit where it's due. Congratulations to Collingwood on nearly equalling the four straight Queen's Birthday wins Melbourne achieved from 2004-07 when the Demons cruised to wins by 9, 45, 47 and 13 points. I'll see if I can find some articles from the time suggesting Collingwood be removed from the annual June fixture.

Edited by pantaloons
  • Like 3

Actually making money from home games is hardly downgrading.

So you are happy to hand over our hold on the MCG to Carlton are you???

Becausse that is what will happen.

I actually want to see this club dig yhe heels in and say No F$&@ off.

But sadly our players can't or won't learn right now.

• Like 1

It's dangerous on PT. it is an area to score substances.

Living in Canberra i am sure you have been there often.

What does this mean?

I would love to get all indignant, wyl.

But...

Edited by rpfc

WYL, this is why so few people on here can't stomach reading your continual bantering. You undermine your own argument within the very argument itself.

• Like 1

WYL, this is why so few people on here can't stomach reading your continual bantering. You undermine your own argument within the very argument itself.

really...so you have given up to have you??

I will say it again...Do you wish to give Carlton our spot at the MCG??

Are you happy with that scenario...le's cut the semantics of personal bias

Pulling 80,000 crowds out of 100,000 is acceptable.

But you can nit pick if you must.

And let me add the pulling of 70-80,000 atendance back in the day has little to do with nostalgia.

It came about because Swooper Northey had a team that played hard competitive footy. They were a team to be feared.

Not like the over paid excuse of today. Half an hour and then breakdown totally. Strong culture attracts big crowds.

Edited by why you little

really...so you have given up to have you??

I will say it again...Do you wish to give Carlton our spot at the MCG??

Are you happy with that scenario...le's cut the semantics of personal bias

Pulling 80,000 crowds out of 100,000 is acceptable.

But you can nit pick if you must.

And let me add the pulling of 70-80,000 atendance back in the day has little to do with nostalgia.

It came about because Swooper Northey had a team that played hard competitive footy. They were a team to be feared.

Not like the over paid excuse of today. Half an hour and then breakdown totally. Strong culture attracts big crowds.

You're slowly descending into insanity, WYL. All I did was point out the inconsistency in your own argument ('I'm not nostalgic, but remember the 90s!!').

How that equates to me having 'given up', I don't know.

• Like 1

You're slowly descending into insanity, WYL. All I did was point out the inconsistency in your own argument ('I'm not nostalgic, but remember the 90s!!').

How that equates to me having 'given up', I don't know.

i don't call the 90's nostagic.

1964 and any piece written by CS I call nostalgic and neither of those have helped us lately.

We can fill the MCG if we lift our projections i have no doubt.

This is a sole reason i wish to know who is behind the Kennett push before i dismiss the tilt.

Edited by why you little

This rant is from someone who earlier admitted he hadnt gone to see the team play since round 2.

• Like 1

This rant is from someone who earlier admitted he hadnt gone to see the team play since round 2.

Correct. I expect value for money. With the right people in charge i will get it.

The Ox is right. The MFC does not need band aids. It needs serious surgery.

• Like 1

Why should he, I don't blame him.
  • Like 1

Another well credentialed journalist (and I use journalist very, very loosely) writing a balanced, informed piece on a club down on its knees. I wonder if he wrote about Matt jones and his rise from suburban footballer to afl midfielder, or dean terlich making the most of his second chance on an afl list, or Nate jones improving and carrying a young midfield and playing at a very high level week in week out. Or even mentioning that casey are top of the ladder with a host of young demon players really improving and showing the future may not stay dark for as long as some people think. But alas, it's another "sky is falling in" article to keep sponsors and the common supporter thinking that the MFC are stuffed. He could also have mentioned our home games against low drawing clubs on low drawing times lots impacting on attendance.

Mondays game started at 3.20. Can anyone answer why? After a long weekend, kids have school Tuesday and the game doesn't finish til 6, traffic means families don't get back until 7, 7.30. Country members don't get home for another hour or 2 after that. All factors on top of poor form. That game should start at 2.10 in my opinion.

I thought the same thing about the timeslot on Monday... I'm up country now, & getting to the station & catching a V Line train, then walk to the 'G',, & back, out of the ground on a damp or wet Monday night isn't very appealing.

Friday or Saturday nights would be fine, or even up North @ Darwin or Qld, the timeslot may Be OK, but Not on the opening of the Ski season in Melbourne's colder weather.

• Like 1

The main issue with playing games at Casey is that it seats less than 5000 and would need at least $12-20M spend by the State and Federal Governments to bring it up to the standard of Kardinia Park.

Looks like pie in the sky at this time.