An insider's POV - Comments from Russell Robertson

deanox

.. you sitting on the fence now. In your heart you know the Culture is, & has been OFF for decades... but you do not want to do the work necessary, to fix the issue that is bigger than we all had imagined back in 2008...

there is No shortcut that you seek WYL, we should have in hindsight done this in 2006 - 2008... & for the really switched on, like a Barassi or a Blight, or Matthews, they would have done this back in 2004ish...

we are/have been all slow on the uptake realising just how bad things have been, inside the clubs mentality....

If we don't do this CleanUp NOW,,, before this Group of Kids grows another Bad/Culture into their psyche, we will have missed the chance to grab it & yank it out.

... It'll take decades to get this opportunity again,, after more Decades of being the YoYo's of the competition, like the Saints & the Tigers...

It won't take much longer to rip it out, most is gone Now,,, & the older ones here Now, are IMO, wanting to fix it & see out they're careers, in a Professional Elite manner.

Nice to see the spin's not completely wasted.

FFS i know we need to do a complete clean out....I am not sitting on the fence

I do not have faith in the company we have hired to do the clean up ok....Comprehendo....20 months is long enough to make a judgement.

.. you sitting on the fence now. In your heart you know the Culture is, & has been OFF for decades... but you do not want to do the work necessary, to fix the issue that is bigger than we all had imagined back in 2008...

there is No shortcut that you seek WYL, we should have in hindsight done this in 2006 - 2008... & for the really switched on, like a Barassi or a Blight, or Matthews, they would have done this back in 2004ish...

we are/have been all slow on the uptake realising just how bad things have been, inside the clubs mentality....

If we don't do this CleanUp NOW,,, before this Group of Kids grows another Bad/Culture into their psyche, we will have missed the chance to grab it & yank it out.

... It'll take decades to get this opportunity again,, after more Decades of being the YoYo's of the competition, like the Saints & the Tigers...

It won't take much longer to rip it out, most is gone Now,,, & the older ones here Now, are IMO, wanting to fix it & see out they're careers, in a Professional Elite manner.

Actually, that has been addressed repeatedly in this thread. I'm not entirely sure why you refuse to acknowledge that. Neeld told our intrepid volunteers that the inexperienced players go into their shells and start playing defensively under pressure when they need to be holding to their structures. He said that they are improving, but they need to do it as a matter of course, not have to be reminded of it during the break, and that will come with more experience. This looks to the observer like a lack of effort when they are playing reactively and not proactively running, spreading and attacking.

RM, I tried explaining it, and so have you, I am afraid some just don't want to listen.

WYL, let me know who you are in real life, and I'll get you a chat with some of the players, particularly Jack Watts, his spirit is not broken

Also is there anything in the last 10 years the Club has done that you actually liked?

I'll try the leadership again, there were two 'surveys' done across the whole footy dept, everybody was asked to mark each player on a scale on 10 behaviours, behaviours being part of establishing a culture. Trengove and Grimes came out on top each time, so therefore if you want to establish the culture both on and off the field you have the two blokes who in everybody's view demonstrate the highest standard of these behaviours as captains to lead by example, the rest of the leadership followed them in the rankings

Rivers' knees were starting to go , we can see that, with the sports science we now have in place, we probably knew that, hence the offer, he was a free agent, you want to blow a large amount of salary cap on a guy who may not last the season and was possibly in his last year anyway, I think we handled it well, personally I wanted him to stay, but him going has allowed the development of Col Garland

As for Freo WYL, Mark Harvey says hello, he had been patiently building that side for a few years and then got stabbed, agree Ross Lyon has done a good job, but he didn't have to start from scratch

I'll try once more, Neeld and Craig do not want to play with 22 behind the ball, they want players to take the game on, but inexperienced players panic if they make a mistake or two, N and C are coaching/encouraging/cajoling them not to worry about making mistakes, just get to the next contest, but it needs to be ingrained, it takes time....the other hard bit is to stop the experienced guys from worrying about blowouts and leaving the structures to stop the momentum, this is hard to do when you are surrounded by inexperience, as it needs all 22 on the same page.....these are human beings not robots you can program.....,we get to see little bits all the time,,,,,Jeremy Howe for me had a breakout game against Freo amongst all the carnage, he listened and acted.

Thaipantsman--how do you know Neeld addresses the players like a yr 9 school teacher, when have you witnessed this?

• Like 3

I do not have faith in the company we have hired to do the clean up ok....Comprehendo....20 months is long enough to make a judgement.

I get where you are coming from now WYL. I don't know enough to know whether you are correct or not, as I'm only looking outside in.

Do you have a solution ie available coaching staff?

gee Bomber Thompson and Mick Malthouse would have been well out the door

• Like 1

Not right now....It will cost us more this next time....We jumped the gun without testing all possibilities

Now the list is even more damaged for a new coach.

I get where you are coming from now WYL. I don't know enough to know whether you are correct or not, as I'm only looking outside in.

Do you have a solution ie available coaching staff?

I have never lost faith in Neeld.

Have a look at some of the replays and you will see (contemporary) structures that have never been in place at this club before.

Ffs, we even have a press going on at times.

I'm so excited by Nate J, Matt J, Col, Terlich, Howe, the captains, the return of the big fella, the leadership and hard running of Dawes (yes, Thai, I think he spreads well)

Chip, etc, that the pain will only be short lived.

Thank you Satyriconhome for your posts. (even though we disagree about Davey)

• Like 3

Pardon my simplification but its wonderful that in a room with Neeld and co everyone feels like they are doing their best, but if you've ever managed anyone you know that some people are great at telling you what they should do, and then failing at doing it.

We are failing on field and I am so tired of reading anything that comes out of the footy club when they continually put in the effort they do on the weekend. Everyone can feel all warm about words, but its a joke relative to what we actually pay for as members.

And Robbo needs to be very careful about potting former players. We have an obvious cultural issue at the club and creating a climate that is dismissive of former teammates just makes us look petty and often makes former players look wise in their decision making. Not exactly a good message to send.

• Like 1

Its funny - I posted this revelation (about Moloney being upset because he didn't get the captaincy) months ago so I guess it once again proves my golf buddy is sound in his sources. There is more to the story as well (as in two sides) - you may also find Moloney didn't agree with much of neeld's new ideas and often made that known vocally with other players in ear shot. Or so I'm told. But I'm not judging whether it was Brent or neeld who will ultimately be proven right.

I know or two other secrets as well. You may find one or two players aren't holding out on resigning hoping to hear neeld will be sacked - but the opposite. Two will try to walk if neeld goes. And on that you can hang your hat.

• Like 2

I think the point has often been missed lately so here goes:

What do these players have in common:

Brent Moloney

Brock McLean

Jared Rivers

Cameron Bruce*

All four players left the club in order to pursue their own interests at a time where we most needed them to stand up. The fact is a Brent Moloney that bought in, tried hard, set an example in terms of attitude and put team first would still be at Melbourne, he gave himself the excuse by cracking it and regardless of whether Neeld handled it well or not he had a choice to help the club or leave. The other fact is our club also needed Jared Rivers' leadership and had he chosen to stay he would have been welcomed with open arms like other clubs that have players that have sacrificed in order to help the cause Boak being an example. Brock McLean left of his own valition when we needed leadership and Cameron Bruce cracked it over not being offered a contract when he (with Hindsight) he wouldn't have nescessarily been able to play it out. *I know the Junior situation which was a terrible mistake impacted on Bruce but the fact remains he left when he had a strong option to stay.

I am not saying that these four players would have had us rocket up the ladder, but they would have filled a void of senior players to set an example on the training track and make our team more competitive over the last couple of years which in my opinion would have greatly helped the development of younger players. It may have also stopped us from needing to bring in the Rodans and Byrnes as had they behaved like real leaders and senior players the dearth of leadership may not have been so great.

Add to this the Tom Scully situation (which may have come out well in the long run but has certainly hurt our midfield in the short term), the stupid Junior decision and you actually have a huge part of the reason for our non-competitive list. Certainly if these players had hung around and done the team thing we would have forced players to earn games.

Bruce was champion of our club who deserved to be treated with respect.

• Like 1

Bruce was champion of our club who deserved to be treated with respect.

Re Bruce, didn't he leave for half the money but twice as long a contract? And then didn't he not see out the contact at the hawks?

All I'll say is that there are two sides to the Moloney story and there are players who may try and leave if need is sacked rather than the opposite. Neeld has a lot of internal support despite what the papers say.

I have another revelation but I won't post it. Pm if interested.

Given the discussion on Beamer's departure, it will be interesting to see how he goes tonight against the rolls royce Magpie midfield. Can he perform against a quality opposition?

Not much so far, struggling to keep up.

If Robbo is speaking the truth here and i have no reason to doubt it, then Moloney can get stuffed, he should NEVER be welcome back...A years salary he was happy to take & he sulked becauise he was not the captain.

Should have played at Casey all year in 2012.

It is a shame that the playing group could not turn him around...Not everyone can be captain, but the whole team can drink from the Cup.

Enjoy the Soulless Paddle Pops Brent....The jumper looks good on you.

Heavy talk WYL. Not like you. Don't forget the pleasure he gave us over many years. Not good form to bag our former stars. Very sad we have no current ones.

Its funny - I posted this revelation (about Moloney being upset because he didn't get the captaincy) months ago so I guess it once again proves my golf buddy is sound in his sources. There is more to the story as well (as in two sides) - you may also find Moloney didn't agree with much of neeld's new ideas and often made that known vocally with other players in ear shot. Or so I'm told. But I'm not judging whether it was Brent or neeld who will ultimately be proven right.

I know or two other secrets as well. You may find one or two players aren't holding out on resigning hoping to hear neeld will be sacked - but the opposite. Two will try to walk if neeld goes. And on that you can hang your hat.

Interesting last point. That being the case, I can't for the life of me work out why the players aren't rabid with their attack on their opponents and the ball every week I mean they basically hold neeld's future in their hands...and I just can't accept that the want and will from the playing group is reflecting positively on the situation.

Could it be that our playing group is divided (again!). If so, when are all these politics going to stop and these guys just go out there and give 100% for our club and our jumper? Why do the supporters need to suffer through whatever the hell is going on down there!! Oh the confusion of it all!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/moloney-left-demons-after-snub-over-captaincy-20130530-2neuh.html

This article fills me with some hope for the future.

Seems very clear to me that certain players were only going to ever be destructive to the growth of our young talent.

Interesting direct insight on last years recruiting too.

Rodan's recruitment was explained clearly, and we are crucifying the new recruits only 9 games in when we haven't had a real chance to see what they are made of yet.

Pedersen seems to be finding form as a solid backman, Terlich and M Jones have shown they are capable at this level. Byrnes was recruited for the same reasons as Rodan IMO. Gillies....well you can't win them all.

Add to that the man mountain Hogan coming in next year (see below) and Sylvia staying (hopefully) with the chance of a couple of free agents or homesick GC or GWS players coming on board and there is potential for a quick(ish) turnaround.

Hold on! Pederson is playing for Casey not MFC. He's an experienced player on a 3 year contract playing in the 2s. I really hope he does well, I like the look of the chap but in the 1s he has been awful.Byrnes has been very ordinary also. Would be useful as a good finisher in a top side. We are not one.

This weekend Rodan plays again and will then have 3 weeks at Casey. I don't care if he cost nothing- we should not be playing a chap who couldn't get a game at Port

meanwhile, we could have kept Petterd who'd recovered from his Achilles problem, and Gysberts who turns out for North tomorrow. And the picture re Moloney is mixed even on Robbo's version. It's quite at odds with the account a couple of players have provided. And what the hell does he mean by the reference to Stef? Stef hated going to Brisbane, loved the MFC, has been dogged by injuries both here and there but doesn't deserve to be defamed.

Heavy talk WYL. Not like you. Don't forget the pleasure he gave us over many years. Not good form to bag our former stars. Very sad we have no current ones.

Was never a big Beamer fan Thai. Very over rated. Scot Thompson is twice the player sadly.

Beamer played well when it suited him.

well in that case then your wrong. your judgement is wrong based on not understanding what it takes, & because of that, your impression of how easy it is to fix, is way off... thinking it could be done last year??? FFS.

.. we didn't even start the cleanup until After last years Footy Season was finished... can't you understand that the cleanup has only just happened before the start to this season. & the new breed is still pushing up @ Casey... very well as I see it.

we've shed a lot of games experience to get to a core of quality that will take us thru to better times... & some more young ones may not make it yet.... the Key to it is to manage to fill in the gaps in a thin HQ Leadership ranks...

I have never lost faith in Neeld.

Have a look at some of the replays and you will see (contemporary) structures that have never been in place at this club before.

Ffs, we even have a press going on at times.

I'm so excited by Nate J, Matt J, Col, Terlich, Howe, the captains, the return of the big fella, the leadership and hard running of Dawes (yes, Thai, I think he spreads well)

Chip, etc, that the pain will only be short lived.

Thank you Satyriconhome for your posts. (even though we disagree about Davey)

davey is shot, after studying the replays, his efforts to run down opponents & pressure is woeful...

• Like 1

Everyone talks about the captaincy as Neelds biggest mistake.. If I remember correctly they gave Jones the captaincy against GC and unfortunately for him it was by far his worst game and his body language that particular Sunday was terrible..

Jack and Jack are leading maybe the worst team since Fitzroy, Brett Kirk couldn't lead them.. I think we just give them time!

But bugger you and all who are lapping up this nonsense---it was not the worst club since Fitzroy when Neeld took over . Was it? Why did we win 4 matches last year, and 1 out of 10 this year, compared with 8.5 each of the two previous years?

None of this makes sense! In my opinion you don't ask players to pick the captain--you take into consideration their views but the football sub-committee then makes the decision.

Say Moloney was disappointed. The previous year he'd been dumped from the leadership group after a serious drinking matter. So did he quit? Get the shits? No, he put his head down and won the B and F. Had I been Neeld he was the last bloke I would have got off-side with

For heavens sake! When will you people admit that the present coach has simply not worked out, it's most unfortunate, I feel sorry for him but we must change course---now!