Should the board be challenged at the end of the year?

Diablo Deemon

Will the MFC board be challenged at the end of the year?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The current board won't even be in place to even be challenged at the end of the year.

The AFL seen how unethical and in house we were and put steps in place to fix the problem - the board.

PJ is the solution and heads will roll..

Jackson cannot sack board members: however club members can!

Board members may resign (to be replaced mid term by a nominee) or they can be challenged at the AGM.

Who knows, Jackson may whisper in the ear of a board member or two, but he cannot kick 'em out.

We elect, we sack!!!

• Like 1

Well said, but everybody will sit on their hands again, most on here all talk and no action

The current board has put the MFC into an almost Catatonic state. They cannot survive into next year.

The AFL will not allow it.

I hope we can agree on that.

• Like 1

Changes that should be made to the board

IN: Don Argus, Robert Flower, Neil Mitchell, David Schwarz, Greg Wells

OUT: McLardy, Spargo, Howcroft, Hayes, Grimshaw, Thurin

Gives us 9 board members.

Flower, Healy, Wells & Schwarz all with a football background and 3 of the 4 in business also.

Freeman, Jalland, Trotter & Argus gives us a good broad range of business skills in their elect fields and Mitchell then gives us that media presence along with Schwarz.

President: Mitchell

Vice President: Freeman

The current board has put the MFC into an almost Catatonic state. They cannot survive into next year.

The AFL will not allow it.

I hope we can agree on that.

What?????.....So the AFL are going to pick our board now?????

Therefore we, as members are irrelevant????

No.

But even you Boss must agree the board in its current form will not survive.

WYL.....I agree that the board will not stay the same.....some will go...but we have to get the right people to replace them.....This is not as easy as it seems.....And putting people who are ex footballers on the board just because they were footballers (as one poster suggested) is just stupid....

There must be a balance....The right mix of business and football nous....

Flower, Healy, Wells & Schwarz all with a football background and 3 of the 4 in business also.

Freeman, Jalland, Trotter & Argus gives us a good broad range of business skills in their elect fields and Mitchell then gives us that media presence along with Schwarz.

Has Neil Mitchell given any indication that he'd challenge for a spot on the board? Would be an interesting appointment.

Get a grip people, Maclardy and board are not the big problem here. Never seen Mclardy run out on game day and miss tackles. He is a good bloke and a smart operator who came in to do the job for his mate Jim. Give the bloke some credit. We dont need instability we have a new CEO who will recommend and make change lets let him do the job.

• Like 2

WYL.....I agree that the board will not stay the same.....some will go...but we have to get the right people to replace them.....This is not as easy as it seems.....And putting people who are ex footballers on the board just because they were footballers (as one poster suggested) is just stupid....

If you're refering to myself which I believe you are, 1 of those ex players is already on the board and two of the three that I suggested are very succesful in business in Flower & Wells.

Has Neil Mitchell given any indication that he'd challenge for a spot on the board? Would be an interesting appointment.

No, but I reckon he could be just what we need in the mould of Maguire & Kennett and bring in some mongrel.

The board is ultimately responsible for the health of the club, so there needs to be responsibility taken and some change in personal at board level. It is my view that they kept Schwab too long, however, Schwab was doing an excellent job with sponsorship, and keeping the books in the black. It was an outstanding achievement for our club to make a profit last season, Schwab was responsible for this and deserves all credit. Where Schwab went wrong was playing politics and trying to influence what happened on-field. As time goes on it becomes more clear that at least some of the seeds for our divided club were sewn by Schwab. This is why he is no longer at the club. The board must stand up and take responsibility for this but whether a complete turnover at board level is in the interest of the club is debatable........... it probably is not. Some board members will resign, new board members will be appointed and Mclardy will step down for Freeman. To me this is probably enough, it would be dumb to turnover every senior position, it would leave the club in a weaker position. I see mass changes in FD and Administration, keeping some old heads on the board who know what has gone on and why we are where would be smart.

My view, as everyone knows, is that the monster mistake has been made with the appointment of Neeld. Simply he is the wrong man for the job. Neeld has done untold damage (please see my other posts). The board must take responsibility for this appointment and quickly rectify the situation. If they do not do this imminently then they too have become part of the problem and a alternative ticket should be taken to the AGM.

Edited by Grand New Flag

I really dont understand your stance.

As members are we not allowed to constructively criticise without the retort being " if you can do better, you get put your hand up to get on the board" - thats just a nonsense.

For the record

1/ I have the utmost respect for any and all on the board - giving up their time for no remuneration is a labour of love

2/ Under the current board there have been some good visible gains in debt demolition, the move to AAMI park and the consolidation of the partnership with Casey

3/ Under the current boards watch there has been massive failure on the core business of football

4/ Our president promised at the tanking investigation to vigorously defend the club and its personnels integrity and we allowed one of own to be jettisoned as well as being fined $500K for apparently not tanking - a fail for President and this board.

So

1/ I will be "sitting on my hands" as far as running for a board position goes.

2/ If there is a viable alternative to the current board at the AGM as long as I believe they will show strength and committment to restoring pride and strength into the club I would happily vote for that ticket.

Constructively criticize, on this board, surely you jest, you have repetitive idiots like WYL who wouldn't have the first idea on how to run a footy club, who just bangs on and on.

I am talking about, start writing, talking to somebody who you think should be on the board, get a petition together with the signatures to show the board you want that person, convince the person to stand, vote them on the board......this will not happen, it's all too much hard work......nothing but hot air on here, and fanciful conjecture

As for the tanking, we are already in debt this year, you wanted another couple of million down the gurgler fighting the investigation in court, real clever, it was a fait accompli

Let Peter Jackson do his job, you really think the Board doesn't know the depth of feeling.

Couldn't agree more. And if the AFL hand pick some of our new candidates i will be stoked.

We need the best people. I would love to to see the Ox on that Board to represent the footy side of things, but the rest we need clever innovative and shrewd business people.

Constructively criticize, on this board, surely you jest, you have repetitive idiots like WYL who wouldn't have the first idea on how to run a footy club, who just bangs on and on.

I am talking about, start writing, talking to somebody who you think should be on the board, get a petition together with the signatures to show the board you want that person, convince the person to stand, vote them on the board......this will not happen, it's all too much hard work......nothing but hot air on here, and fanciful conjecture

As for the tanking, we are already in debt this year, you wanted another couple of million down the gurgler fighting the investigation in court, real clever, it was a fait accompli

Let Peter Jackson do his job, you really think the Board doesn't know the depth of feeling.

Hahaha you really make me laugh Satyriconhome.

I just Bang on negatively all the time....

Really? The club is inches from death, many of us have seen it coming in different ways for a long time. The paying of a $500,000 fine for being not guilty was the final straw for me.

The club has no balls at present. The players know it.

As for my knowledge of the MFC Board, i worked with Bev O'Connor for nearly 10 years whilst she was on 3 different Boards. We talked at least twice a week during that whole time frame.

I am not a wealthy business man, if i was i would be nominating myself now.

I am a paid up member and i want to see the Demons play in September.

If you do not like my attitude then so be it.

You though are living in a bubble.

Jackson cannot sack board members: however club members can!

Board members may resign (to be replaced mid term by a nominee) or they can be challenged at the AGM.

Who knows, Jackson may whisper in the ear of a board member or two, but he cannot kick 'em out.

We elect, we sack!!!

The AFL can push them to resign..You're dreaming if you think Jackson is not calling the shots.

I was at the game today one of the 13,000 who turned up.

I Attended the pre game address in the Lindsay Hassett room Jack Watts and Neville Jetta attended.

Why Jetta didn't play today was bewildering. He served his suspension but has to apparently come back through the VFL who have a bye. Apparently this was due to the good form of players who came in while he was suspended go figure.

The half time address was given in the Jack Ryder room by Russell Howcroft and Peter Jackson.

As he did in the media Jackson stated the estimated projected loss. The poor football department structure. The poor on field display. He was asked if he expected members to dig back into their pockets to fill the shortfall.

He said we are respected by no one not the AFL not other clubs not even supporters and members.

After the poor onfield topic the next hotly debated was the MFC board.

This is the third time I have heard people state openly in that forum that the board will be challenged at the end of the year. So I ask what's the consensus should the current board be challenged. Or are people venting frustration with no realistic threat to the current board.

Is more instability a viable option? Or should we cut our loses with a club that continues to find new depths to sink?

Diablo your Poll Banner and the actual question are asking two different things.

Might want to clear that up mate.

Mitchell would be a disaster. Brings nothing but his ego and his big mouth.

I wish there was a dislike button.

McLardy and Howcroft for starters have to go but I would not have Flower, Schwartz and Mitchell on the Board. I don't think any would offer anything. With total respect for Flower, he has not got a great business pedigree and has not enjoyed good health. Mitchell and Ox are radio hacks these days and offer nothing.

Really? The club is inches from death, many of us have seen it coming in different ways for a long time. The paying of a $500,000 fine for being not guilty was the final straw for me.

As for my knowledge of the MFC Board, i worked with Bev O'Connor for nearly 10 years whilst she was on 3 different Boards. We talked at least twice a week during that whole time frame.

I am a paid up member and i want to see the Demons play in September the competition in 2015

I would actually like to see us still in existance as the the MFC in 2015

• Like 1

I am a paid up member and i want to see the Demons play in September.

I said a footy club board, was one of the 3 a footy club board, talking, again, again you do not have to be a wealthy business man to be on the board, unfortunately because members over time have never stood up and actually voted, this is what most boards are made up of.........you can have your attitude, for once I would like to see you post with an actual construcitve idea instead of some fanciful piece of nonesense

I have an idea of who I would like to see on the board and I have already started to explore it, actions

Mitchell would be a disaster. Brings nothing but his ego and his big mouth.

I wish there was a dislike button.

McLardy and Howcroft for starters have to go but I would not have Flower, Schwartz and Mitchell on the Board. I don't think any would offer anything. With total respect for Flower, he has not got a great business pedigree and has not enjoyed good health. Mitchell and Ox are radio hacks these days and offer nothing.

Respect your opinion RR however I think Flower & Schwarz would offer afair bit.

Flower while your right hasn't had great health I reckon has had a good enough business pedigree to suggest he would contribute well on our board. And whiel the Ox certainly doesn't have any real business pedigree, I'd of thought the way he's turned his whole life around embodies what we're trying to do with the club. I can't see any reason why he would be any less effective as say Dunstall is on Hawthorns board.

Mitchell, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for having a negative opinion of, however I think he's a figure that could be beneficial to the club.

There is IMO a large problem having a Media person like Mitchel on the board.

He would get inside information that he would have trouble keeping to himself.

How would he have coped during the Tanking investigation.

IMO being a board member means the vast majority of the time you have to keep your trap shut.

A bit difficult for people who make their living out of shooting from the hip.

Respect your opinion RR however I think Flower & Schwarz would offer afair bit.

Flower while your right hasn't had great health I reckon has had a good enough business pedigree to suggest he would contribute well on our board. And whiel the Ox certainly doesn't have any real business pedigree, I'd of thought the way he's turned his whole life around embodies what we're trying to do with the club. I can't see any reason why he would be any less effective as say Dunstall is on Hawthorns board.

Mitchell, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for having a negative opinion of, however I think he's a figure that could be beneficial to the club.

IMO none of them have the ability or understanding of what is required of a Board member. And none of them have any valid experience to do it. Nothing of what they have done post playing days (sans Mitchell) provides any notable value to MFC. Schwarz is passionate but is not astute.

We really need good capable and experienced board candidates to ensure we have the right policies, governance and oversight to be a successful club. None of these cut it.

Edited by Rhino Richards