Changes v Suns

Dannyz

Considering Kent got 3/4 last week I actually would like to sub him this week but when he comes on play him on a wing.

He's not fit enough to play as a good small forward in this side. And after watching Bail/Blease/Tapscott/Byrnes and Davey I'm not convinced anyone is. Let's just limit him so we can enjoy what he does produce.

Especially if they bring Toumpas and/or Blease back one of them has to be sub.

The other big issue is talls. Dawes is a lock for CHF even if he's only structural. Spencer/Gawn/Jamar fight it out for first ruck I'd go for Gawn. Gawn and Fitzpatrick fight it out for backup I'd go for Fitzy.

No point playing 2 rucks and Fitzy and an underdone Dawes. Just 3 big blokes and Howe can do the job as third tall (but not second tall).

The midfield is shuffling deck chairs. All of Bail/Trengove/McKenzie come under fire.

Down back its McDonald for Sellar or not. 50/50 call but I'd give Sellar his chance. The only other one is do we bring Jetta back and/or keep Strauss or Nicholson. Considering their limitations I'd say Strauss and Nicholson played as expected. Strauss clean with it and in good positions but sometimes without impact and not getting enough ball. Nicholson running around like a headless chook and fumbling but still having that raw speed that we'd love if we ever got him right. Might be worth trying him as a forward again just using his speed and endurance. Can't kick worse than Bail.

Edited by the master

Lots of people want to play 4 ruck-sized players?

How about if Fitzy comes in, Spencil has to go out. Maximus to first ruck, Fitzy support, rotating through CHF with Dawes the deep target. Spencil jumped way too early, too often and got caught in bad positions in ruck contests. Perhaps another game to get the feel of it, to see how he goes.

Put flash at his feet.

Mackenzie out, and the toump in instead. Dunn to run with Ablett.

Jetta in, Grimes out.

Would have to think about Tommy Mac having a 'rest', and maybe Sellar or Pedometer to half back (watts straight in if available)

Kent to stay.

Sub to be Blease.

OUT: Grimes, Spencer

IN: Dawes, Toumpas

That would leave us with only one ruckman - Gawn.

Toumpas is not ready and it would be silly to bring him back - I would give him at least a month at Casey to adapt to the pace of VFL and build confidence.

• Like 3

Pointless win? I wouldn't have thought there was such a thing as a pointless win... football is partly a confidence game and the more "pointless" wins we can get, the more positive experience it is getting into our younger less experienced players - they need that winning feeling, regardless of who it is against. Of course we must start winning games against tougher opponents, that goes without saying, but to describe any win as pointless is, in my opinion, well... pointless.

Even if we win. Any confidence gained will be quickly snuffed out the following week against richmond. They will tear us apart. I agree with DemonOX. A win on the weekend will feel empty.

Hate to think what my reaction will be if we do manage to beat a top tier team.

We would probably self-combust!!!

Demonland would go into meltdown for a good reason for a change!!

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

Out: Grimes, Nicholson, McKenzie, Spencer

In: Magner, Jetta, Blease/Toumpas, Fitzy

Trenners gets another chance but has to go next week if he underperforms against GC.

Edited by P_Man
  • Like 1

Considering Kent got 3/4 last week I actually would like to sub him this week but when he comes on play him on a wing.

He's not fit enough to play as a good small forward in this side. And after watching Bail/Blease/Tapscott/Byrnes and Davey I'm not convinced anyone is. Let's just limit him so we can enjoy what he does produce.

Especially if they bring Toumpas and/or Blease back one of them has to be sub.

The other big issue is talls. Dawes is a lock for CHF even if he's only structural. Spencer/Gawn/Jamar fight it out for first ruck I'd go for Gawn. Gawn and Fitzpatrick fight it out for backup I'd go for Fitzy.

No point playing 2 rucks and Fitzy and an underdone Dawes. Just 3 big blokes and Howe can do the job as third tall (but not second tall).

The midfield is shuffling deck chairs. All of Bail/Trengove/McKenzie come under fire.

Down back its McDonald for Sellar or not. 50/50 call but I'd give Sellar his chance. The only other one is do we bring Jetta back and/or keep Strauss or Nicholson. Considering their limitations I'd say Strauss and Nicholson played as expected. Strauss clean with it and in good positions but sometimes without impact and not getting enough ball. Nicholson running around like a headless chook and fumbling but still having that raw speed that we'd love if we ever got him right. Might be worth trying him as a forward again just using his speed and endurance. Can't kick worse than Bail.

that would be enough If watts was in as 3rd tall forward, but without, I would have Fitzy as FF.. with 2 rucks.... if it works against us, we can sub one off.

.... this is why I'd now like to see the Interchange Bench come down to 2 on the bench with 4 subs, of any shape or size,,,,,reducing by One Sub at the 20 minute mark of each Qtr... except the last Qtr....

this should appease the intellectuals like Malthouse !

If Grimes goes LTI then Magner must come in.

The obvious question is who indeed should be the replacement for Grimes and whether it needs to be a like-for-like swap.

Magner seems to be the most logical but he surely doesn't have the ability to cover Grimes playing roles. Someone mentioned Taggert earlier on?

The obvious question is who indeed should be the replacement for Grimes and whether it needs to be a like-for-like swap.

Magner seems to be the most logical but he surely doesn't have the ability to cover Grimes playing roles. Someone mentioned Taggert earlier on?

I'd push for Strauss to step into Grimes shoes. Strauss needs to step up, plays of half back...

• Like 1

Out: Grimes, Nicholson, McKenzie, Spencer

In: Magner, Jetta, Blease/Toumpas, Fitzy

Trenners gets another chance but has to go next week if he underperforms against GC.

Fitzy in over Dawes???? Really.

I understand the concerns about having 3 ruck type players, but I don't feel that Gawn is ready to play mainly in the ruck yet, and I reckon the club want to ease him into that given his injury history. I've got no source for that comment, but it's just my gut feel.

As for having Blease/Toumpas in, I tossed up on whether they've done enough to get back in, as they have not had consistently strong performances over the last couple weeks. Though, it makes sense to have McKenzie out with one of those two coming in, but I just think that to the footy department is just so high on McKenzie because of his tackling (which he again lead the team in), and therefore it is unlikely he'd be dropped.

I reckon I'd alter my original line up and have Viney as the sub and McKenzie on the bench actually.

• Like 1

Fitzy in over Dawes???? Really.

I understand the concerns about having 3 ruck type players, but I don't feel that Gawn is ready to play mainly in the ruck yet, and I reckon the club want to ease him into that given his injury history. I've got no source for that comment, but it's just my gut feel.

That's a reasonable gut feel as if I recall correctly, the club stated that he was being brought in purely as a forward and NOT with ruck duties in mind (or am I getting that mixed up with what they said about Clark?).

Edited by hardtack

Ah bugger, I forgot Dawes. Become so used to him being unavailable.

The balance with the rucking options is going to be an interesting one this week.

If Jamar is fit, I'd play him and Spencer as rucks, and Gawn and Dawes as full-time forwards. In fact, Gawn is so good around the ground that we could even put him on a wing and let him follow the ball and provide a marking option on the high half-forward flank. Play Jamar as our main ruck, switching forward with Spencer.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

I'd push for Strauss to step into Grimes shoes. Strauss needs to step up, plays of half back...

Why, because the HBF is one of the easier positions to find your groove in or do you think he's got the tools?

Did he play it at Casey?

If Jamar is fit, I'd play him and Spencer as rucks, and Gawn and Dawes as full-time forwards. In fact, Gawn is so good around the ground that we could even put him on a wing and let him follow the ball and provide a marking option on the high half-forward flank. Play Jamar as our main ruck, switching forward with Spencer.

If Jamar is fit I'd go with Jamar, Gawn and Dawes. Spencer in addition seems a bit of overkill and taking up the spot of a Blease or a Toumpas, but I see the logic you've applied. It's when Jamar is not fit that things become a bit more complex. All of Gawn, Spencer, Fitzpatrick and Dawes makes me nervous, but might be necessary given the lack of experience.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Dawesy run out there for the first time.

• Like 1

Why, because the HBF is one of the easier positions to find your groove in or do you think he's got the tools?

Did he play it at Casey?

I think Strauss has the tools to be a very effective rebounding defender but I am yet to be convinced of where his ceiling is. He needs AFL game time to rebuild the confidence and composure he was building prior to breaking his leg.

After McDonalds kicking issues on the weekend I'm keen to use more surefooted kick out of defence, on the switch etc... and I've liked Strauss's kick.

I think Strauss has the tools to be a very effective rebounding defender but I am yet to be convinced of where his ceiling is. He needs AFL game time to rebuild the confidence and composure he was building prior to breaking his leg.

After McDonalds kicking issues on the weekend I'm keen to use more surefooted kick out of defence, on the switch etc... and I've liked Strauss's kick.

After rewatching the game, I thought James Strauss was actually quite good - especially in the first ten minutes or so. Anyone who can play well right from the start is welcome in this team. I think he should take the Jack Watts half-back role, and Watts should return to the forward line.

• Like 1

After rewatching the game, I thought James Strauss was actually quite good - especially in the first ten minutes or so. Anyone who can play well right from the start is welcome in this team. I think he should take the Jack Watts half-back role, and Watts should return to the forward line.

I was at the game and Strauss was very good. Yes offensively after the first quarter he was disappointing but coming into the team for the first time since last year, against the most potent small forward line in the comp you'd forgive him for not over committing the other way. He was rooted in the last quarter and to use a racing term will be better for the run, but in the one on one contests he won most of them including a fantastic spoil on that [censored] Robinson.

• Like 2

Happy to see Dawes get a game - am interested to see what he brings. ATM I just want to see contests

Also want to see the Jet Jetta back in - not a superstar but you can't say he doesn't have a go and he likes to hit the opposition - am a fan

As for outs - whateves not really fussed (Glad I'm not a coach :))

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

Happy to see Dawes get a game - am interested to see what he brings. ATM I just want to see contests

Also want to see the Jet Jetta back in - not a superstar but you can't say he doesn't have a go and he likes to hit the opposition - am a fan

As for outs - whateves not really fussed (Glad I'm not a coach :))

He'll bring a contest, a bloody target and hopefully some goals.

if Toumpas is recalled after 1 good game at Casey i'll be dissapointed.

In: Dawes, Fitzpatrick, Mager

Out: Nicholson, Spencer, Grimes,

Terlich Frawley Garland

Dunn McDonald Strauss

Bail M Jones Evans

Howe Fitzpatrick Sylvia

Byrnes Dawes Tapscott

Ruck: Gawn, N Jones, McKenzie

IC. Kent, Trengove, Magner, Viney

Gawn to play 1st ruck after settling into the AFL team over the last couple of weeks. Fitzpatrick to get a go at playing forward / relief ruck. A position that neither pederson or Sellar has been able to make their own. Magner is a crucial in as he can find the pill, and Grimes out will hurt us in that regard.

Mckenzie and McDonald stay in as playing against gold coast may help them gain some confidence

What does everyone actually think about Luke Tapscott's year so far? I reckon he's been in our worst five players every weekso far, but he's just got this physicality about him whose value is really difficult to rate.

Sam Blease is another guy whose value to the team extends beyond just his possessions. These two guys have qualities that are very rare on our list, and yet their actual performances have been relatively poor. They're both very difficult to judge.

In fact, you can add Colin Sylvia to that list; he butchered the ball like nobody's business yesterday, and yet he exudes a kind of ball-bursting class that we just don't have.

Thoughts?

Edited by Chook