Chris Connolly - a good man to fill the silence

Whispering_Jack

Let it ride Billy. The MFC was found "not guilty" but CC lost his job for a year.

The man was shafted probably to save our draft day later this year.

He most likely was given a choice. Is that fair for a joke...No.

But i don't consider the AFL fair. I wish we had gone to court, but we didn't.

If you never forgive CC for taking the sword...you should.

Edited by why you little
  • Like 1

But I refuse to let CC off scot-free like most on here appear to have done

Last time I checked CC hadn't got off scot-free. He is suspended for 12 months. He has been held to account for his 'comment.' I'm more interested in how it came to light and why? If he and DB have paid the price and the club and it's supporters have paid the price, he can't be the only one held to account.

Gee Billy I actually feel sorry for someone with so much hatred for so many people

Not sure why you are directing this at me? Hatred? So many people?

I trust any player, coach or official that is involved with my Club. If someone does anything to abuse that trust, then I will be firm in my views/opinions. I think you're getting a bit carried away by calling that "hatred" though. But, why not try and sensationalise it just to try and prove your point.

Last time I checked CC hadn't got off scot-free. He is suspended for 12 months. He has been held to account for his 'comment.' I'm more interested in how it came to light and why? If he's paid the price and the club and it's supporters have paid the price, he can't be the only one held to account. Neither can the club and DB.

If members of Demonland had control, CC would've been let off. Probably what my comment means when I say "people on here".

I don't know what to say, Billy - we know how you feel, we don't agree, we are not going to sit here and dwell on it forever.

We move on, with your objections noted.

Perhaps the best course of action would be not to say anything then? I voiced my view, it is in the minority, you chose to reply with a nothing post.

I'm not dwelling on it, CC is out for 12 months, so the immediate future of the MFC is already looking brighter through my eyes. He will be reinstated at the end of the suspension, I will shake my head and roll my eyes, and that's all the energy it will get from me. It will be a far different reaction when some of you read our profit/loss statement over the next 2 years and whinge about the $250k per annum that is being redirected to the AFL.

We will see who dwells on it for longer...

What else would they have focused on? They had nothing else. The AFL knew it, the MFC knew it.

This is the key point, even the AFL admitted that it was the only piece of evidence they had. Why? Because it is the only information which points to there being a motive to tank. This is the bit that most people don't seem to understand.

Again, it may have been a joke and it is a joke that Paul Roos, Terry Wallace and Carlton escaped the same scrutiny, but the fact remains that Connolly should not have jokingly or not even hinted at tanking or playing for priority picks.

Therefore, if someone has to "take the fall", then without a doubt it should be Connolly.

• Like 1

Not sure why you are directing this at me? Hatred? So many people?

I trust any player, coach or official that is involved with my Club. If someone does anything to abuse that trust, then I will be firm in my views/opinions. I think you're getting a bit carried away by calling that "hatred" though. But, why not try and sensationalise it just to try and prove your point.

If members of Demonland had control, CC would've been let off. Probably what my comment means when I say "people on here".

I haven't got a point to prove, I have an opinion on CC and will stick with it, my comment was based on the majority of your posts, you don't seem to have a very high opinion of anybody if you want me to put it that way

My glass is always half full, always has been, always will be

As for the profit/loss...[censored] happens....the Club will continue

Connoly's track record has not been good since he came back aside from the tanking issue. Accusations of pushy interference in FD matters and fostering a recruiting and player development strategy that has been a disaster. Also a central personality linked to the bitter divisions within the club and ongoing poor culture. Benefits of his worth have not materialised after 6 years at the club yet and I wonder why he is still at the club.

• Like 1

I haven't got a point to prove, I have an opinion on CC and will stick with it, my comment was based on the majority of your posts, you don't seem to have a very high opinion of anybody if you want me to put it that way

My glass is always half full, always has been, always will be

As for the profit/loss...[censored] happens....the Club will continue

I wasn't going to comment again on this thread, but I can't let this go.

Your comment above is totally incorrect, and you should apologise. I don't mind people not agreeing with my views, I don't disagree with people just to cause sh!t, and in general, I'm quite the sheep on here. But to make a comment like that, and let's not forget, you initially said I had "hatred" for many people, is totally unacceptable. I will challenge you to back it up with facts, but I know you would be wasting your time.

Perhaps the best course of action would be not to say anything then? I voiced my view, it is in the minority, you chose to reply with a nothing post.

I'm not dwelling on it, CC is out for 12 months, so the immediate future of the MFC is already looking brighter through my eyes. He will be reinstated at the end of the suspension, I will shake my head and roll my eyes, and that's all the energy it will get from me. It will be a far different reaction when some of you read our profit/loss statement over the next 2 years and whinge about the $250k per annum that is being redirected to the AFL.

We will see who dwells on it for longer...

Well, my inference that I had nothing to say was about your galling bitterness and lack of compassion.

But we will move on won't we?

He cost us $500k you say. I say we have cost him much more. His name tarnished, his life stalled for a year, the crap his family will have to endure.

His mistake has been noted, and he has been punished severely and in no way proportional. The AFL were looking for a way to punish the club without saying we tanked, for the reasons I have brought up pertaining to our licences.

It is a BS punishment and finding but it gives us someone to blame, and the AFL to punish.

And you just want to leap on top and, apparently, continue the berating of a heavily chastened Demon paying for a 'crime' we all committed, and/or wanted to commit (with a few exceptions).

So you can stay there on your high horse, or you can realise you are stuck in the mud up to your knees with the rest of us.

Let's talk about some footy.

Edited by rpfc

I wasn't going to comment again on this thread, but I can't let this go.

Your comment above is totally incorrect, and you should apologise. I don't mind people not agreeing with my views, I don't disagree with people just to cause sh!t, and in general, I'm quite the sheep on here. But to make a comment like that, and let's not forget, you initially said I had "hatred" for many people, is totally unacceptable. I will challenge you to back it up with facts, but I know you would be wasting your time.

Sorry didn't realise you were so thin skinned, due to the number of stones you throw in other people's direction.

A bit of proof would be the fact you have spent nearly three pages of postings trying to get people to agree with you, it ain't gonna happen

Also for some of the other posters, unless you are inside the club everyday, myself included, have no idea what has transpired in the last few years, we are going on crap media reports, heresay, gossip, rumour etc etc

Well, my inference that I had nothing to say was about your galling bitterness and lack of compassion.

But we will move on won't we?

He cost us $500k you say. I say we have cost him much more. His name tarnished, his life stalled for a year, the crap his family will have to endure.

His mistake has been noted, and he has been punished severely and in no way proportional. The AFL were looking for a way to punish the club without saying we tanked, for the reasons I have brought up pertaining to our licences.

It is a BS punishment and finding but it gives us someone to blame, and the AFL to punish.

And you just want to leap on top and, apparently, continue the berating of a heavily chastened Demon paying for a 'crime' we all committed, and/or wanted to commit (with a few exceptions).

So you can stay there on your high horse, or you can realise you are stuck in the mud up to your knees with the rest of us.

Let's talk about some footy.

We would be best closing Demonland down between September and March then RP! Bring on Round 1!

Sorry didn't realise you were so thin skinned, due to the number of stones you throw in other people's direction.

A bit of proof would be the fact you have spent nearly three pages of postings trying to get people to agree with you, it ain't gonna happen

Also for some of the other posters, unless you are inside the club everyday, myself included, have no idea what has transpired in the last few years, we are going on crap media reports, heresay, gossip, rumour etc etc

Here you go again. Thin skinned? You blatantly lied in your post that was directed personally at me. And stones I'm throwing in other people's direction? I voiced my opinion, and as the minority, I'm the one getting stones thrown at me!

I am not trying to get people to agree. Is it against the CoC to post my views? If people then respond, especially questioning my view, I will reply. Just as I will reply when someone like yourself posts totally inaccurate comments personally directed at me.

And I find your last paragraph quite ironic. Yes, I'm not inside the club every day, so have no idea what went on. Just like the "majority" weren't in the meetings/negotiations between the MFC and AFL when it was determined CC would be made "the fall guy".

Do me a favour, don't reply unless you either apologise for that carp you have posted about me, or, if you are going to back up this "hatred" I have for "so many people" that is apparently obvious in a "majority" of my posts. You will need to do better than using my views of CC in this thread.

My problem is not that CC said something dumb, which I think he did - it is the disproportionate whack that he has received and that is where the majority of sympathy is coming from. And I believe the whack he received is because of what I think we are all in agreement on - they could not get us on anything else.

I also believe Billy, that you are using misdirected logic - We were fined $500K and CC is unemployed for a year because of comments. You have focused on something costing us $500K instead of asking the most important of questions..so i will ask you - do you think that the club should have been fined $500K and CC lose his job for a year over the comments he made ( as reported - we only have "as reported" to make our judgements).

I am absolutely black on white on this - we should have been hit for tanking ( and 6 other clubs investigated as well ) or cleared. One or the other. What we ended up with is the AFL being passive aggressive. ( i want to hit you for tanking but i cant so i am going to whack the hell out of you for dumb comments)

• Like 1

Here you go again. Thin skinned? You blatantly lied in your post that was directed personally at me. And stones I'm throwing in other people's direction? I voiced my opinion, and as the minority, I'm the one getting stones thrown at me!

I am not trying to get people to agree. Is it against the CoC to post my views? If people then respond, especially questioning my view, I will reply. Just as I will reply when someone like yourself posts totally inaccurate comments personally directed at me.

And I find your last paragraph quite ironic. Yes, I'm not inside the club every day, so have no idea what went on. Just like the "majority" weren't in the meetings/negotiations between the MFC and AFL when it was determined CC would be made "the fall guy".

Do me a favour, don't reply unless you either apologise for that carp you have posted about me, or, if you are going to back up this "hatred" I have for "so many people" that is apparently obvious in a "majority" of my posts. You will need to do better than using my views of CC in this thread.

I assume when you said carp I posted about you, you meant something fishy, I suggest you actually go back and read some of the posts you have made in other topics, I am not insulting you, perhaps hatred was too strong a word, but as other posters know I am not a big fan of the negativity that is displayed towards anything MFC, I am unequivocal in my support of the Club. I am not calling you names, as I have been in the past, in hindsight I should have used negative, unhelpful or something similar

I was merely pointing out that you are in the minority on this issue, making my opinion known

You are entitled to your opinion, just don't shove it down people's throats

My views on this board are well known, it is also well known that I don't take offence to anyting on here, apart from childish name calling, as most are keyboard heroes who prefer to hide behind the anonymity of a nickname, and in a lot of cases can't help themselves

I suggest if you can't stand the heat don't come into the kitchen, rpfc seems to be suggesting the same thing but you seem to want to fight him as well

Edited by Satyriconhome

Connoly's track record has not been good since he came back aside from the tanking issue. Accusations of pushy interference in FD matters and fostering a recruiting and player development strategy that has been a disaster. Also a central personality linked to the bitter divisions within the club and ongoing poor culture. Benefits of his worth have not materialised after 6 years at the club yet and I wonder why he is still at the club.

If you want that question answered try speaking to some of the Foundation Heroes who have saved MFC, they may tell you why.

And what sources do you claim for what you have written, Caroline Wilson?

• Like 2

My problem is not that CC said something dumb, which I think he did - it is the disproportionate whack that he has received and that is where the majority of sympathy is coming from. And I believe the whack he received is because of what I think we are all in agreement on - they could not get us on anything else.

I also believe Billy, that you are using misdirected logic - We were fined $500K and CC is unemployed for a year because of comments. You have focused on something costing us $500K instead of asking the most important of questions..so i will ask you - do you think that the club should have been fined $500K and CC lose his job for a year over the comments he made ( as reported - we only have "as reported" to make our judgements).

I am absolutely black on white on this - we should have been hit for tanking ( and 6 other clubs investigated as well ) or cleared. One or the other. What we ended up with is the AFL being passive aggressive. ( i want to hit you for tanking but i cant so i am going to whack the hell out of you for dumb comments)

It's a good question Nutbean. I absolutely agree that CC should've been suspended, and think the 12 month period is probably par. With that said, I think the $500k is way overs, as I feel we as a Club responded to what CC had said by transferring him to a different position. He is an employee of the club, and made an error of judgement. A fine of that size is too high.

On the other hand, with Bailey coming out admitting that he left players out to give his team less of a chance, but without directing them to lose, that didn't help the cause, and no doubt inflated the fine. So, does that mean Bailey has to take responsibility? Absolutely, to some degree. If he is telling the truth, that he felt pressured in to making those selection decisions, then again, we have to turn to CC - how can we not? In my view, Bailey should've got off, so that in my opinion tells me that there was evidence suggesting he did the wrong thing. All I can suggest was that they had medical records of players that were left out of that Sydney game, and some of those players who could've played would've been in our best 18. This is totally my opinion based on nothing, other than me trying to work out how it all came to this. I could be 100% accurate, I could be totally off the mark.

If there were these so called divisions within the club, someone high up needed a foot up the arse for not sorting it out. The AFL gave them that by fining us $500k.

A lot of my frustration is still hanging around from 186. What happened that day at Geelong should NEVER EVER happen in a professional sport. I am adamant that some players needed to go because of it, and I feel that the right ones have now gone (took Neeld 2 years but he got there). That doesn't mean I soley blame the players, and think some officials were involved, and hoped they they copped a whack for their involvement. I don't believe any Melbourne supporter should forget the events of that day, and they should certainly not forgive those responsible. Since that day, I haven't had any faith or confidence in my club, and that pains me to say. That changed on Friday night when I looked at the blokes running around on the park believing that between them and the Football Department, nothing like that will happen again (hence why I gave up reading the NAB Cup thread after about 2 pages of absolute negativity). I don't mind my team losing, if it happens each week then sobeit. As long as I know the players are given every opportunity to perform at 100%, and in return put in 100%, 100% of the time, then I can handle it if we aren't good enough.

• Like 1

I assume when you said carp I posted about you, you meant something fishy, I suggest you actually go back and read some of the posts you have made in other topics, I am not insulting you, perhaps hatred was too strong a word, but as other posters know I am not a big fan of the negativity that is displayed towards anything MFC, I am unequivocal in my support of the Club. I am not calling you names, as I have been in the past, in hindsight I should have used negative, unhelpful or something similar

I was merely pointing out that you are in the minority on this issue, making my opinion known

You are entitled to your opinion, just don't shove it down people's throats

My views on this board are well known, it is also well known that I don't take offence to anyting on here, apart from childish name calling, as most are keyboard heroes who prefer to hide behind the anonymity of a nickname, and in a lot of cases can't help themselves

I suggest if you can't stand the heat don't come into the kitchen, rpfc seems to be suggesting the same thing but you seem to want to fight him as well

All I wanted was for you to show me where I have this "hatred" for "so many people" in "a majority of my posts". You have made accusations that are totally incorrect, but you've managed to try and make me prove my innocence? A "majority of my posts" on this thread are replying to yours, as I don't appreciate being "labelled" something that is total crap/carp/tripe.

My above posts talks about my disappointment toward a number of people involved in that Geelong game. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that way.

In regards to RPFC, he and I are like brothers, we agree on a lot, we disagree just as much. I'm happy for people to disagree, but do appreciate it when if someone disagrees, that they give me the respect by explaining their thoughts (see Nutbean above), rather than give me the throw away line of "get over it". As soon as RP did that, post #60 above, I accepted it and we moved on.

And what are you talking about "can't handle the heat, don't come in to the kitchen"? Very keyboard hero talk isn't it? I don't actually know why you wrote that given that I'm still here copping the sh!t that anyone throws at me, and I'm not giving in to the masses. If someone asks me a reasonable question, I will answer it.

I apologise to anyone who is sick of my posts/ranting in this thread. I hope you can see that I'm just trying to stick up for myself and not accepting someone making incorrect accusations. I think deep down you'd do the same for yourself.

As we know the AFL has strict rules regarding "third party deals" and outside employment arrangements for players as part of its management and control of total player payments. But I assume there is no such restriction on non-footballers. So is it possible for Connolly to be employed for a year by a "friend" of the club? For example, could Opel engage him in a marketing role for 12 months (should they want to, of course)?

While this thread continues to look backwards at the rights and wrongs of the various parties, I'm more interested in looking forward. In short, I hope Connolly is being looked after, even if he's not officially on the MFC payroll. How many of us could cope (financially and emotionally) with a twelve month suspension?

As we know the AFL has strict rules regarding "third party deals" and outside employment arrangements for players as part of its management and control of total player payments. But I assume there is no such restriction on non-footballers. So is it possible for Connolly to be employed for a year by a "friend" of the club? For example, could Opel engage him in a marketing role for 12 months (should they want to, of course)?

While this thread continues to look backwards at the rights and wrongs of the various parties, I'm more interested in looking forward. In short, I hope Connolly is being looked after, even if he's not officially on the MFC payroll. How many of us could cope (financially and emotionally) with a twelve month suspension?

I assumed he'd still be on the MFC payroll anyway, just not fulfilling any official capacity, i.e. stood down on full pay.

Amen Brother...This is my thinking as well.

Maintain the Rage. We were found "not guilty"....but....

Vlad and his corrupt organisation should all walk. I will despise that bloated hack for the rest of his existence.

CC's wounds will heal.

Edited by why you little

Benefits of his worth have not materialised after 6 years at the club yet and I wonder why he is still at the club.

Serious? Everything that I've read/heard about Chris's work in the marketing etc. department and the work he's doing out at Casey, as well as his work on getting key supporters and business people to come onboard and dip into their pockets, has been glowingly positive. Did you read the Martin Flanagan article at all?

As for "pushy interference in FD matters" ... given he was head of the FD at the time, hard to know how he could (not) interfere in his own department.

It's a good question Nutbean. I absolutely agree that CC should've been suspended, and think the 12 month period is probably par. With that said, I think the $500k is way overs, as I feel we as a Club responded to what CC had said by transferring him to a different position. He is an employee of the club, and made an error of judgement. A fine of that size is too high.

On the other hand, with Bailey coming out admitting that he left players out to give his team less of a chance, but without directing them to lose, that didn't help the cause, and no doubt inflated the fine. So, does that mean Bailey has to take responsibility? Absolutely, to some degree. If he is telling the truth, that he felt pressured in to making those selection decisions, then again, we have to turn to CC - how can we not? In my view, Bailey should've got off, so that in my opinion tells me that there was evidence suggesting he did the wrong thing. All I can suggest was that they had medical records of players that were left out of that Sydney game, and some of those players who could've played would've been in our best 18. This is totally my opinion based on nothing, other than me trying to work out how it all came to this. I could be 100% accurate, I could be totally off the mark.

If there were these so called divisions within the club, someone high up needed a foot up the arse for not sorting it out. The AFL gave them that by fining us $500k.

A lot of my frustration is still hanging around from 186. What happened that day at Geelong should NEVER EVER happen in a professional sport. I am adamant that some players needed to go because of it, and I feel that the right ones have now gone (took Neeld 2 years but he got there). That doesn't mean I soley blame the players, and think some officials were involved, and hoped they they copped a whack for their involvement. I don't believe any Melbourne supporter should forget the events of that day, and they should certainly not forgive those responsible. Since that day, I haven't had any faith or confidence in my club, and that pains me to say. That changed on Friday night when I looked at the blokes running around on the park believing that between them and the Football Department, nothing like that will happen again (hence why I gave up reading the NAB Cup thread after about 2 pages of absolute negativity). I don't mind my team losing, if it happens each week then sobeit. As long as I know the players are given every opportunity to perform at 100%, and in return put in 100%, 100% of the time, then I can handle it if we aren't good enough.

we will differ on a few things above- firstly CC was transferred out as a consquence of the $500K - he has been out for over a year - way before the investigation even started. I suspect he was moved out due to his over-forthrightness with players.

CC's comments can be looked at subjectively - joking or not joking and he gets suspended for a year - Trigg rorts the salary cap and gets 6 months ? I will never agree that 12 months is a fair penalty. The AFL was looking to come away with something, anything and CC was it. Whilst I am happy to move on, I have made my feelings known that whilst this will now conclude this awful chapter in an expedient manner - it is exactly that - expediency and something strong clubs like Collingwood would not accept.