WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

Didn't expect Clark to do what he did, so hoping Dawes lifts a gear at the mfc too

Yep, and I think that's the point. How many goals did Clark kick a season before coming to us. The new FD saw something in him and backed him, they see it with Dawes and I think they have the runs on the board and inside knowledge to make the call.

I trust the judgement of Mark Neeld and Leigh Brown on Dawes' ability as a key forward.

I reckon he's going to be a bloody good player for us. I'm just worried he may not form the partnership with Mitch Clark for a while given Clark's injury.

I want to see the twin towers operating from round one, but that doesn't seem likely.

• Like 2

The club's being crying out for quality big forwards since Neitz.. Having picked up Clark, Dawes and Hogan if you're not a little excited then you must barrack for Melbou...............oh well.

Exactly. I am over getting excited about our draft picks and trades as we head into Xmas. Would like to see some pre-season competitiveness. We have been really poor for 6 years in the pre-season and it has led to poor years.

In case you need reminding, the last time we won a round 1 match was.............................................................................................2005.

So get excited all you want. Its actually the most exciting part of the year for a melbourne supporter. Just not for me.

The addition of Chris Dawes, will help players like Mitch Clark, Jeremy Howe, and any other forward! It means opposition defenders will need to be more mindful of our f50 and it will help give us multiple options going into our f50 not just Mitch.

Blease and Byrnes will also benefit, as we will be able to have more contests in our f50 that we are able to be competitive and if not win these contests to positions on ground to our crummers advantage!

If Dawes kicks 35 goals, Clark kicks 50 odd goals, we should have a decent season!

• Like 1

The addition of Chris Dawes, will help players like Mitch Clark, Jeremy Howe, and any other forward! It means opposition defenders will need to be more mindful of our f50 and it will help give us multiple options going into our f50 not just Mitch.

Blease and Byrnes will also benefit, as we will be able to have more contests in our f50 that we are able to be competitive and if not win these contests to positions on ground to our crummers advantage!

If Dawes kicks 35 goals, Clark kicks 50 odd goals, we should have a decent season!

I think out of all our fwds clark will be helped the most. He was constantly double teamed in defence this year and he still managed to kick 29 goals in half the season! imagine what he could do when he is 1 on 1 :) Chris dawes given that Neeld has said he will be a stay at home fwd this season should have a much improved season and given he is now entering his prime age, he theoretically should have his best season yet!

mate of mine follows North seriously and states that Pederson has great potential

With Dawes and Clarke if foot ok we have a really potent forward trio with options to rotate. Add leaper Howe to the quartet and there are some really exciting forward options to attack to. The main danger could be them getting in each others way. lets hope the crumbers are ready to pick up the loose balls coming from fierce contests and space that will be created as our boys force the opposition to man them up.

With X and Y we have a really potent forward trio with options to rotate. Add leaper Z to the quartet and there are some really exciting forward options to attack to.

Last year its was Clark, Jurrah, Green, Petterd and Howe. Looked good on paper going into the preseason... Hate to get all 'old dee' on you but i'll wait to see the results before i start jumping for joy

Last year its was Clark, Jurrah, Green, Petterd and Howe. Looked good on paper going into the preseason... Hate to get all 'old dee' on you but i'll wait to see the results before i start jumping for joy

It's got to be better than Rivers and Garland as our key forwards as the last half of the year....Hasn't it?????

Every decent forward-line needs at least two power forwards, if not three.

Where was the second power forward in the list you mentioned ?

I doubt anyone with a clue was salivating that much about Green and Petterd. The Jurrah thing panned out the way it did, but Clark (pre-injury) and Howe both had excellent years. Comparing that to a forward line that has added a premiership grade key forward (doubling our count) and a premiershipgrade small forward (taking our count from zero to one) is hardly comparing apples with apples.

Edited by Nasher
missed a sentence out!

All im saying is that this time last year there was a topic where people were trying to name their best 22 and every one was agreeing how hard it was and that we finally had a strong list with a heap of depth...... fast forward to 2012.....

I'm not getting sucked in again this year!

Every decent forward-line needs at least two power forwards, if not three.

Where was the second power forward in the list you mentioned ?

There was none, but it didnt stop the masses from getting exited

All im saying is that this time last year there was a topic where people were trying to name their best 22 and every one was agreeing how hard it was and that we finally had a strong list with a heap of depth...... fast forward to 2012.....

Not everyone agreed - I wouldn't even say most people did. Not being sure which NQR to squeeze in to the 20th and 21st place in the side isn't my idea of depth - and I'll go on record to say that despite the optimism (including my own), that will still be a problem this year.

Depth isn't worth a cracker if your list has no top end talent.

As far as I'm concerned this is the first time our forward line has looked strong since it had Neitz and Schwarz in it. You can remind me if this in 12 months time if you want. :P

Edited by Nasher
Added stuff

Not everyone agreed - I wouldn't even say most people did. As always, depth isn't worth a cracker if your list has no top end talent.

As far as I'm concerned this is the first time our forward line has looked strong since it had Neitz and Schwarz in it. You can remind me if this in 12 months time if you want. :P

hey im all for people getting exited, but im trying to keep a lid on it so if things dont go to plan 2013 isnt as disapointing as 2012 was :(

If you can't get excited at this time of the year then you probably won't again.....I love this time of year....All teams are equal....New recruits to discuss.....Hopes are high.......Boys are training the house down.......Draft in 2 days time....Christmas just around the corner......Nab cup starts in 3 months time......Sure beats the hell out of being 1-13 half way through the year....Relax and enjoy it Demon WA....
  • Like 2

hey im all for people getting exited, but im trying to keep a lid on it so if things dont go to plan 2013 isnt as disapointing as 2012 was :(

After 40+years of supporting the DEEs it's pretty hard to get me too excited about footy

BUT

I do still like the passion and the analysis that all Dlanders exhibit. Don't agree with it all but enjoy the effort that is displayed and provoked. If the players and coaches apply as much passion as displayed on Dland we would be far more exciting

I guess the thing I was concentrating on was the flexibility that the current lineup gives us and I hope we have learnt from last year that you need more than 1 plan. If that plan doesnt work try another. The players we have now provide some greater options and even though Rivers has gone we now have the Watts option.

Lets keep the lid on so that the water boils more quickly.

Its going to be exciting seeing what comes out of the pot.

• Like 1

Don't. Do you think anyone cares what your personal view is ? Or mine ?

Be as miserable as you like. Be as positive as you like. Be as cautious as you like. No-one cares.

Don't.

Do you think anyone cares what your personal view is ? Or mine ?

Be as miserable as you like. Be as positive as you like. Be as cautious as you like.

No-one cares.

Reads like an angst ridden Haiku (or a Smith's song)

Edited by binman

• 1 year later...

What a get he has been.

Those who are aware here know Im surrounded by Pies...sigh. BIL only other day said he laments our good get, wished us well btw. :)

Plenty of people will be blushing upon reading their contributions to this thread. Happy to not be one of them.

Me too. And credit where credit is due. Neeld done good getting Dawes on board

• Like 1

Agree. But most of the credit has to go to Dawes himself. Presumably he had a positive relationship with Neeld and wanted to join him at Melbourne. There is absolutely no evidence that Dawes has 'sooked it up' since Neeld left.

That's because he is a intelligent, professional footballer who gives his all for the club. Unlike another ex Demon who sooked it up when things didn't go his way.

Dawes is part of the new culture at Melbourne, the old culture is quickly being eradicated.

Edited by Mgdee
  • Like 4