Swans' 'Culture'

pitmaster

Listen, I was rapt when the siren went with the Bloods in front. I loath Hawthorn and felt that the Sydney mob were a deserving winner, OK?

But I don't entirely buy this Swans'/Bloods' culture we are now being fed by Paul Roos and short sighted journos.

They were the Bloods when I was a kid and they stank.

This culture supposedly means they don't 'bottom out'. Yeah right. That's what they say now and they say that's why they are on top.

I am old enough to recall another explanation. When they were despatched to Sydney, what, 30 years ago? they were propped up for years by the AFL and still get salary cap concessions.

THEN we were told the reason they topped up with imports is because in the 'Sydney market' they could not afford to bottom out. That's what it's been about, staying up so they did not lose that fickle crowd support Sydney offered, not some cultural thing but a marketing exercise that they now want to sell to us as culture.

Just thought I'd set the record straight because this example is going to be used against us some time.

• Like 2

If there is some quality around the joint that can be labelled 'culture' I reckon its pretty simple.

A well managed club without showboating CEO's or Presidents, who listen to the 'sub text' coming from the players who are led by 'quality' senior players.

Thats how they knew the players were onto something when they didnt want Wallace as coach.

Thats why when the players gave Morton work to do in order to get promoted;his goals in the reserves didnt count,his attitude needed to change.

The comparison with MFC is pretty obvious.

Forget about Stynes for a moment and think about MFC 's senior players and the way they tried to 'save' Bailey. Think about CS and CC and the way they presented and apparantly meddled.

Bugger 'no bottoming out', think about the management tanking and the damage that does to the self worth of the playing group

• Like 1

Their culture is theirs. I want DEMONS playing with the same desire and never say die attitude as they showed, all the other stuff will fall into place.

Copy and paste for those too lazy to scroll down the board...

I've read at least one simpleton, possibly more, argue that the bloods culture is a myth, I'd argue that said posters intelligence is a myth. Even more so than fantastic coaching and intelligent recruiting, the swans success over the last decade is built on the back of one player looking into their history at depth (as opposed to management lecturing on it) and discovering the old 'bloods' culture that existed for a period of time. With the backing of the senior players in Sydney, they vowed to adhere to a culture that represents the 'bloods'.

Without exception.

The players bought in, those that didn't, didn't play.

I envy them and pray for the day that Melbourne show the type of commitment and passion for their club that the Sydney players do.

• Like 7

Yes those who do not believe the Swans culture listen to Steve Taubert on SEN yesterday

He coached Mike Pyke.

Nobody wants to let anyone down.

Our culture couldn't be furher from that.

I hope Neeld is working to pull it back

• Like 1

Remember when we smashed the Bloods two years ago? Where was their culture then? :)

Hm..

I just had a "wtf happened to us?" moment.

Anyhow, they can call their culture whatever the he'll they want. The absolute buy-in from the players is there for all to see. And while we're at it, when was the last time the Swans bottomed out?

At least Free Agency will kill tanking stone dead.

Interesting thought.

The point is culture is not fixed. It can be remade and it can be lost. We had a culture in the'50s and '60s and grew complacent.

The Swans have made a virtue out of necessity.

I am hopeful Mark Neeld and the remade football department are hard enough to bring that edge to us.

• Like 1

Interesting thought.

The point is culture is not fixed. It can be remade and it can be lost. We had a culture in the'50s and '60s and grew complacent.

I am hopeful Mark Neeld and the remade football department are hard enough to bring that edge to us.

agree mate. But wasting the last 5 years has given us a huge Wack.

List management is critical now.

Yes those who do not believe the Swans culture listen to Steve Taubert on SEN yesterday

He coached Mike Pyke.

Nobody wants to let anyone down.

Our culture couldn't be furher from that.

I hope Neeld is working to pull it back

SELFLESS v SELF... US v I.

We still need to incoprporate the supporters as a key piece of this puzzle. They/we are the fodder that drives this wheel. The need that drives the desire.

When the soldiers are separate to they're community, there is nothing left to fight for... except just themselves,,, I...

Interesting thought.

The team isn't the culture, the community/club is the culture, good or bad. What the the Club as a whole stands for. This is what feeds the desire to fight. And the Team Ethos & disciplines grow out of that.

We aren't a 'Club', we're an organisation! Theres the failure.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

Listen, I was rapt when the siren went with the Bloods in front. I loath Hawthorn and felt that the Sydney mob were a deserving winner, OK?

But I don't entirely buy this Swans'/Bloods' culture we are now being fed by Paul Roos and short sighted journos.

They were the Bloods when I was a kid and they stank.

This culture supposedly means they don't 'bottom out'. Yeah right. That's what they say now and they say that's why they are on top.

I am old enough to recall another explanation. When they were despatched to Sydney, what, 30 years ago? they were propped up for years by the AFL and still get salary cap concessions.

THEN we were told the reason they topped up with imports is because in the 'Sydney market' they could not afford to bottom out. That's what it's been about, staying up so they did not lose that fickle crowd support Sydney offered, not some cultural thing but a marketing exercise that they now want to sell to us as culture.

Just thought I'd set the record straight because this example is going to be used against us some time.

I put it to you that that 'fickle' support, is one of the drivers that has seen the Swans return to being a 'Club'. And a successful one.

I suggest that because they are in Rugby town, it's backs to the wall stuff, & the supporters they do have are crucial to the clubs survival & the club recognising this has become 'Inclusive'.

This fosters all supporters getting engaged with the club, & the club is interested in its supporters.

The Clubs interests, become the supporters interests, & all work together as One.

When something becomes so big, it's just interested in getting bigger, & loses its connection with the people, then the love is lost & just organistion is left.

Meaningfulness is lost.

I've read at least one simpleton, possibly more, argue that the bloods culture is a myth, I'd argue that said posters intelligence is a myth. Even more so than fantastic coaching and intelligent recruiting, the swans success over the last decade is built on the back of one player looking into their history at depth (as opposed to management lecturing on it) and discovering the old 'bloods' culture that existed for a period of time. With the backing of the senior players in Sydney, they vowed to adhere to a culture that represents the 'bloods'.

Without exception.

I envy them and pray for the day that Melbourne show the type of commitment and passion for their club that the Sydney players do.

Hey RGRS I was the 'simpleton' who said it was a myth, so you resort to name calling to somebody who doesn't agree with you, that's very cultured of you

It is a myth, 22 fit, highly competitive, skilled, well coached players beat another 22 on a given day.

Mike Pyke wanted to be an AFL player so he went the extra yard, nothing to do with culture

Sydney just about held on, they deserved to win, a couple of Hawthorn players who needed to lift couldn't mainly because they were too battered to

Hey RGRS I was the 'simpleton' who said it was a myth, so you resort to name calling to somebody who doesn't agree with you, that's very cultured of you

It is a myth, 22 fit, highly competitive, skilled, well coached players beat another 22 on a given day.

Mike Pyke wanted to be an AFL player so he went the extra yard, nothing to do with culture

Sydney just about held on, they deserved to win, a couple of Hawthorn players who needed to lift couldn't mainly because they were too battered to

Beg to differ. Culture does exist & Is important.

# we saw a brief snapshot of Australias underlying culture on the weekend. the old culture is still alive. It just doesn't show often enough these days, but it's still there, still breathing, almost asleep.

Brunswick St on Sunday, an cultural shift awoke. even if momentarily.

jill_march.jpg

Edited by dee-luded

'Culture' is the word that the media has decided that fits the Sydney way of playing....it seems to have become a buzz word across all environments, but then again modern life is all buzz words and no substance.

You could say the Melb Storm has the same 'culture' but it hasn't, they have been driven in the last couple of years to right a wrong, revenge is a powerful force

As to your reference to Sydney Rd, most of that is media driven, as are most things these days, it was about a group of people feeling collectively guilty about allowing the 'most livable city' to become a very dangerous place at night.

It won't stop the many young ladies who live around my area, trotting out like they do after 10.30pm this Saturday night, and getting incredibly drunk

You may be the same vintage as me who longs for the 'good old days' rather than the media driven ME age we live in now, but that's getting rather off topic

Without exception.

Good post. And it isn't a myth.

Sydney's 'culture' is player driven. Of all things, Stuart Maxfield and Brett Kirk led the way. And it's been passed on through various LG's. What the current LG did to Mitch Morton during the season in setting standards and knowing your role, to be selected is the same player driven initiative that was done with Nick Davis some years ago now. And I dare say they're not alone in that regard.

John Longmire said it himself. They have some fantastic leaders who entered match committee and said we don't want him in until he does x, y, z in games. Morton earned their trust prior to being selected. They have non negotiables to be adhered to.

Non negotiables that if followed as a team - put them into the frame for premiership success.

Some need to take note of what has been said time and again, before dismissing it as myth.

• Like 2

'Culture' is the word that the media has decided that fits the Sydney way of playing....it seems to have become a buzz word across all environments, but then again modern life is all buzz words and no substance.

You could say the Melb Storm has the same 'culture' but it hasn't, they have been driven in the last couple of years to right a wrong, revenge is a powerful force

As to your reference to Sydney Rd, most of that is media driven, as are most things these days, it was about a group of people feeling collectively guilty about allowing the 'most livable city' to become a very dangerous place at night.

It won't stop the many young ladies who live around my area, trotting out like they do after 10.30pm this Saturday night, and getting incredibly drunk

You may be the same vintage as me who longs for the 'good old days' rather than the media driven ME age we live in now, but that's getting rather off topic

you are so wrong on so many levels. On & off the footy field.
  • Like 1

goodness me, you've got a sad look on life.

That march was of a culture, a collective of people who felt strongly enough about something to get up & go out into the street, and walk down the middle of the road with many strangers, blocking off the road in a show of collective strength & unity for the cause.

That wasn't organised as such but nothing more than a few leaflets posted & a mention I think on the media.

It was an outpouring.

Exactly H_T - culture doesn't necessarily mean something that is endemic to the club and built in to the bricks and mortar. It is something that is created and changes with the people who make up the club. The culture can be passed down from the old guard to the new but can also disappear with the people who created it in the first place.

• Like 2

Furthermore, the culture that is spoken about Sydney, isn't just about onfield initiatives. It's very much off-field as well. They're a close knit group that look after each other, including wives and girlfriends, families. Jarrod McVeigh and his family speak highly of the support provided by the club when things were very tough. Pike is another example of many, including Kennelly. Even Mark McVeigh highlighted their club and players in a recent article in relation to the support provided to his brother.

Perhaps a one team town is afforded more luxuries of freedom and/or 'togetherness' in a non AFL strong state, rather than the renowned AFL cities which predominantly live in bubbles. Who knows...and together with strong LG's with strong values has a positive effect on recycled players. Just a thought.

goodness me, you've got a sad look on life.

That march was of a culture, a collective of people who felt strongly enough about something to get up & go out into the street, and walk down the middle of the road with many strangers, blocking off the road in a show of collective strength & unity for the cause.

That wasn't organised as such but nothing more than a few leaflets posted & a mention I think on the media.

It was an outpouring.

Media covers everything...Twitter, Fango, Facebook, it was all over these media....I have a realistic outlook on life....seen enough of it to realise that the values that exist today are very different from the past

Also as Free Agency is going to prove the dollar will beat any "culture" hands down

..I also know that it is just footy......22 blokes playing another 22 blokes, all 44 want to win desperately....it is just circumstances that decide which 22 does win....nothing to do with this so called culture.....

Edited by satyricon

Absolutely convinced by the strong argument you put forward there, had me convinced you were right and that I was wrong.....oh sorry you didn't did you....you just said I was........

i know exactly what i was saying.

I have been reading your flimsy argument for weeks now & you are just...wrong.

Exactly H_T - culture doesn't necessarily mean something that is endemic to the club and built in to the bricks and mortar. It is something that is created and changes with the people who make up the club. The culture can be passed down from the old guard to the new but can also disappear with the people who created it in the first place.

Absolutely. I see Maxfield is still one of the current Swans runners too. Bolton, Goodes, LRT (what a game he played btw), O'Keefe are currently passing the baton.

• Like 1