Anyone at Foundation Heroes Tonight?

Robbie57

Just not sure why the club promoted the need for the clubs elite (rich) needing to pay 100% of the cap. I say 10000 more supportes may get us 5 extra players and the only way to get this is to win games, play in front of crowds that dont resemble an empty stadium, and have a rock solid FD and Admin dept. And a club that says, we are going places.

Remind me why ppl want to play for Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, St Kilda andRichmond (and they have been a rabble for 30 yrs).

I remember a year in the naughties when the club was playing attractive football and were finals contenders and the Dees had the 3rd highest attendance at games out of the Victorian clubs. I dont think it would be too hard to get those numbers again.

Right now we are dependant on fundraising.

People with an agenda can still have a valid point, H. Methinks dismissing the point because you did not see it exercised earlier doesn't weaken the point; it allows you to understand the biases of the person. And EVERYONE has those.

McLardy promoting the dinner to assist the club to land a big fish is embarrasing. That is why the club gets poor media attention and makes us look like a charity case. Time for the club to show the world that the club means business and competes with other clubs on an even level.. Act like a poor man, you behave like a poor man. If every club fundraises, why do we behave like a charity case asking for money to get 1 or 2 players thru free agency or trades. Mitch Clarke was a big fish we landed without us being made to look a charity case, why not promote the need for another Mitch Clarke and not to pay 100% of the salary cap. I am personally embarred by this promotion

Sorry to say this, but the foundation members will die off soon (this generation). What happens when we have a very little supporter base and the stereotype (rich) supporter dies off. Young people do not support our club as we are weak. The promotion of this fundraiser is testiment of this.

I'm a bit confused by this, which way do you want the fundraiser promoted?

a) To help us land a big fish

B) To help us land a big fish (sorry I said Raise originally)

Easy with the die off comment, there were a lot of young supporters there as well and I would hope I've got a few years left.

Edited by RobbieF

I'm a bit confused by this, which way do you want the fundraiser promoted?

A) To help us land a big fish

B) To help us raise a big fish

Easy with the die off comment, there were a lot of young supporters there as well and I would hope I've got a few years left.

Exactly Robbie-My old man saw the Greatest team of all time and he is 72.My son is a Demon for life at 3 but he has a lifetime of suport to give! If he wishes to eat and receive shelter that is .

• Like 5

Just not sure why the club promoted the need for the clubs elite (rich) needing to pay 100% of the cap. I say 10000 more supportes may get us 5 extra players and the only way to get this is to win games, play in front of crowds that dont resemble an empty stadium, and have a rock solid FD and Admin dept. And a club that says, we are going places.

Remind me why ppl want to play for Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, St Kilda andRichmond (and they have been a rabble for 30 yrs).

I remember a year in the naughties when the club was playing attractive football and were finals contenders and the Dees had the 3rd highest attendance at games out of the Victorian clubs. I dont think it would be too hard to get those numbers again.

Right now we are dependant on fundraising.

So how would you propose to get the extra 10,000 members? We haver a poor list and a new coach and we are learning, for the first time that I can remember, how to play football that can win a flag.

It's all very well to go to bed at night and dream of the club winning a flag but in the harsh light of day, reality shows we aren't good enough. If we start to win games we will attract more supporters and the need to raise funds will diminish, but at the moment we need to get cash to help run the club and to be able to pay the 200 coaches we have.

We have played some good football over the years but in both Grand Final appearances we haven't had a hope in hell, we've been almost there a number of times but we miss out because we've been out-spent, out-recruited and out-played.

It's all very well to suggest that all we need is 10,000 more members but where do you think they'll come from?

So how would you propose to get the extra 10,000 members? We haver a poor list and a new coach and we are learning, for the first time that I can remember, how to play football that can win a flag.

It's all very well to go to bed at night and dream of the club winning a flag but in the harsh light of day, reality shows we aren't good enough. If we start to win games we will attract more supporters and the need to raise funds will diminish, but at the moment we need to get cash to help run the club and to be able to pay the 200 coaches we have.

We have played some good football over the years but in both Grand Final appearances we haven't had a hope in hell, we've been almost there a number of times but we miss out because we've been out-spent, out-recruited and out-played.

It's all very well to suggest that all we need is 10,000 more members but where do you think they'll come from?

That about covers it RobbieF

It seems that quite a few who forget it is only four years ago that we almost went down the tube.

And we are still not very far from it at present

Edited by old dee

The issue is that the club says it hasn't got enough money to pay 100% of the TPP unless it receives a significant cash injection. I say that is the wrong allocation of resources and is a management issue and not a promotion issue.

The message I got is despite paying off $5 million (a saving of significance), despite receiving extra money from the AFL, despite an increase in membership, despite a better stadium deal and despite what would appear to be increased sponsorship we still can't find the money to pay what a club has to pay to win a flag - 100% of the TPP.

One way or another that's not good.

What I'd love is the club to come out and say "we are dead serious about winning a flag. We will pay 100% of the TPP but in doing so we need contributions to assist in the development and recruitment of the best players. Please help". That tells me that they have allocated resources right and I'd feel as though I was giving our players the best possible chance to reach their full potential.

That's the way I see it. In the interest of sanity I won't now give a full critique on Daniher as coach, Gardner as a Chairman and Richard Griffith as a recruiting manager.

• Like 4

Guest Rassilon

Wellingham is a trouble maker.

Not saying he is not welcomed, but Sylvia and Beamer are small time offenders in comparison. Just saying.

Absolute rubbish. Have you ever met Sharrod?

What I'd love is the club to come out and say "we are dead serious about winning a flag. We will pay 100% of the TPP but in doing so we need contributions to assist in the development and recruitment of the best players. Please help". That tells me that they have allocated resources right and I'd feel as though I was giving our players the best possible chance to reach their full potential.

Splitting hairs?

Splitting hairs?

Not for me. I'd rather do without our "General Manager - Strategy" and one of our two "Community Coordinators" than short change the TPP.

The TPP should be a cast iron non negotiable expense because if you don't pay it you have less talent on your list than every other club that does (one of the reasons Sydney is so consistent is they have a higher salary cap than us - and they are beautifully managed as well). If you have to cut back in other areas so be it. If a club says the TPP is not a cast iron expense it's not serious about winning a flag.

But you may not see it that way. I do.

Not for me. I'd rather do without our "General Manager - Strategy" and one of our two "Community Coordinators" than short change the TPP.

The TPP should be a cast iron non negotiable expense because if you don't pay it you have less talent on your list than every other club that does (one of the reasons Sydney is so consistent is they have a higher salary cap than us - and they are beautifully managed as well). If you have to cut back in other areas so be it. If a club says the TPP is not a cast iron expense it's not serious about winning a flag.

But we don't have the talent on our list that other clubs do and paying over the odds for players just to spend 100% of TPP isn't necessarily the answer is it? I'm happy to front load the hell out of contracts but we shouldn't over pay the players on our list or free agents/trades unless we think they will be value for money. I hope at the moment we are only paying 80% in real terms to our players and front loading 20% so that we've got room to fit in some signings.

Considering we haven't lost a player due to salary cap concerns for a decade now I'd say recruitment and development would be just as important. I agree that football should come first though because of all the community/marketing etc stuff we do none of it is as effective in building the club as winning some finals would be.

• Like 1

ARRRGGHHH.

All you guys with MFCSS or whatever chill out or start your own thread.

I AM SICK OF WHINING WILLOWS AND DOUBTING THOMASES spoiling good threads.

There is not one thread which you will leave alone.

Start a new thread if you have the guts and stop jumping in where you are not wanted.

Either that or go post on Demonology; which you still can.

• Like 2

FFS some people will find anything to have a whinge about, anyone would think you're a pack of Poms!

Getting back on topic, can anyone else give a run down of the night? It might have been stated but I probably missed it through all the petty mud-slinging.

Congrats and thanks to the club and those who donated - I wish I had the coin to be a Foundation Hero but alas I think that is still a while off yet.

• Like 4

It is just messaging. It is sexier to say the fans are 'uniting and giving their hard earned to help Melbourne get better by allowing them to take full advantage of FA by paying 100%, rather than the minimum 95% of the TPP' than to say 'we want to make sure we have enough money to pay Todd Viney (to use your example) and keep on investing in Casey (to use your example).

The money will indirectly help do everything as it directly benefits the club.

Edited by rpfc

It's not invalid for Fan to ask why supporters have been asked to top up the club's salary cap. Either, as most of you suggest, the donations just go into general pot, or it is as advertised. I hope and assume it's the former. Either way, well done to those who donated. if we do ever get back to the top of the mountain, the fingerprints of MFC supporters will be all over the cup.

But we don't have the talent on our list that other clubs do and paying over the odds for players just to spend 100% of TPP isn't necessarily the answer is it? I'm happy to front load the hell out of contracts but we shouldn't over pay the players on our list or free agents/trades unless we think they will be value for money. I hope at the moment we are only paying 80% in real terms to our players and front loading 20% so that we've got room to fit in some signings.

Good point. Ultimately, we want the ability to be able to pay 100% of the cap. When we're in our re-building phase (due to finish any day now!) we shouldn't be paying maximum dollar, no matter how much front-loading we do.

McLardy promoting the dinner to assist the club to land a big fish is embarrasing. That is why the club gets poor media attention and makes us look like a charity case. Time for the club to show the world that the club means business and competes with other clubs on an even level.. Act like a poor man, you behave like a poor man. If every club fundraises, why do we behave like a charity case asking for money to get 1 or 2 players thru free agency or trades. Mitch Clarke was a big fish we landed without us being made to look a charity case, why not promote the need for another Mitch Clarke and not to pay 100% of the salary cap. I am personally embarred by this promotion

I like the FD's changes last year and the promotion that we have 'elite' training facilities. The second part of this is the club promoting elite standards to match the facilities. I just saw the news and it had Howe teaching young kids in the City of Casey how to take a spekky. Good promotion of the club and every kid wants to take spekkys. I like that the club is creating foundations in an area that will give us future budding Demon supporters.

Well done to all Foundation Members and the money you put in. But what is more important is raising our membership base. Much more money is raised when you get 40 to 45 thousand members.

As far as i am concerned the basic membership package was a WASTE of money this year. We were promised a new era with the new coach, new FD structure, elite facilities, a new fitness manager with an elite performance output.. What we all have got was a year of massive disappoitnment and poor performance. The club did not say we need to go backwards to go forward. Neeld said he was not surprised that we performed badly after round one, yet he promised a more hardened football performance. Alot of people believe we have gone backwards to move forwards. This a belief only and no one can specifially point out what has improved. If they do others can counter argue this too easliy

Sorry to say this, but the foundation members will die off soon (this generation). What happens when we have a very little supporter base and the stereotype (rich) supporter dies off. Young people do not support our club as we are weak. The promotion of this fundraiser is testiment of this.

Time for the club to stop pinning themselves on the clubs elite supporters. too much emphasis on this in recent times, and in the past. Time for the club to be successful and work on the real foundation of the club. The average supporter who pays a couple of hunderd each year. Get 10 thousand more of these people paying up and the foundation dinner become an added bonus, nothing more

The same issue of TPP was presented and promoted at last years dinner with the aim of attracting (clark) and keeping (scully) players at our club.

This thread has veered off in the strangest direction! There is occasional talk the club sometimes check the site to get a feel for what supporters are thinking. This thread (or at least the amazing number of posts about the TPP etc etc) will sort that out. I doubt they'll bother from now on.