Jason Taylor

Guest José Mourinho

Guest José Mourinho

The 2IC in Collingwood's recruiting dept is apparently coming to the MFC once his contract runs out.

Anyone got any further details on this?

But would that stop him offering up a few opinions (to Neeld & Co) on players that might suit our needs?

Yes.

Would we want him giving other clubs tips when he's contracted to us?

Would be the height of unprofessionalism.

Yes.

So it is 2013 before he has any impact in the dees list.

Will want to be very good after we have waited another year for a head of recruiting.

Still I guess Viney won't have to be very good to be better than the last ten years.

I read somewhere (and I'm not sure where so please don't ask) that the contracts for most footy department personnel finish at the start of November. What would be holding hm from coming to Melbourne at that time if his contract end date is the 1st of November?

Edited by Mickey "O"

Yes.

stuie I agree in principle, but if a member of our staff asked to be released and we didnt, then I suggest you are playing with fire holding on to him and involving him in your process.

What the pies are doing is essentially enforcing his "gardening leave" as it is know in financial services, thereby removing his services from the market. It's a dangerous game and poor risk management to keep an important staff member involved if they dont want to be there.

I agree it's improper to talk to MFC while employed elsewhere, but it wouldnt take too much to convince yourself you were doing the right thing, if you felt slighted, and thus I wouldnt be surprised if it happened.

stuie I agree in principle, but if a member of our staff asked to be released and we didnt, then I suggest you are playing with fire holding on to him and involving him in your process.

What the pies are doing is essentially enforcing his "gardening leave" as it is know in financial services, thereby removing his services from the market. It's a dangerous game and poor risk management to keep an important staff member involved if they dont want to be there.

I agree it's improper to talk to MFC while employed elsewhere, but it wouldnt take too much to convince yourself you were doing the right thing, if you felt slighted, and thus I wouldnt be surprised if it happened.

Haven't heard anything about him being unhappy at Collingwood though or being forced to stay there against his well, I assumed he'd just been offered more money by MFC, hence he'd happily see out his contract and then start a new one.

I read somewhere (and I'm not sure where so please don't ask) that the contracts for most footy department personnel finish at the start of November. What would be holding hm from coming to Melourne at that time if his contract end date is the 1st of November?

It is in my opinion that he is only contracted till the end of October, therefore you are correct IMO.

Yeah Micky O I remember this coming up earlier in the year as well and it seemed his contract witht he Pies was up before the current draft - there could be issues regarding the IP being taken from the Pies across to us though.

Honestly, who cares. Coaches, players and staff leap to other clubs regularly. We took Neeld. Ess took Wellman shortly after we re-signed him. Big deal.

IP is fluid and AFL might be big business, but it's a different kinda animal from most other industries. It's an industry unto itself and inconsistency is rampant. Just look at the MRP verdicts or the current tanking investigations, or need I even mention Mr 3 Strikes feeling 'groggy'.

It's a matter of power and control. If we want Taylor, will we take him now or will we say to Eddie, "sorry Mr Maguire, we'll wait till the contact is up and forgo his input into arguably the most important draft in our time?"

Grow a pair, Dees!

Honestly, who cares. Coaches, players and staff leap to other clubs regularly. We took Neeld. Ess took Wellman shortly after we re-signed him. Big deal.

IP is fluid and AFL might be big business, but it's a different kinda animal from most other industries. It's an industry unto itself and inconsistency is rampant. Just look at the MRP verdicts or the current tanking investigations, or need I even mention Mr 3 Strikes feeling 'groggy'.

It's a matter of power and control. If we want Taylor, will we take him now or will we say to Eddie, "sorry Mr Maguire, we'll wait till the contact is up and forgo his input into arguably the most important draft in our time?"

Grow a pair, Dees!

The point is IIRC they changed the rules after the Pies raised a fuss over their staff being repeatedly poached??

The point is IIRC they changed the rules after the Pies raised a fuss over their staff being repeatedly poached??

As if they are the only ones...

I knew Dimwitreou upped the player poaching fine to $1000k, but I didn't think anti poaching rules extended to coaches or even recruiting guys.

So I guess the pies will not poach any employee of any other AFL team that is currently under contract. Yeah, right.........

In the end, might is right, I fear.

Edited by Moonshadow

As if they are the only ones...

I knew Dimwitreou upped the player poaching fine to $1000k, but I didn't think anti poaching rules extended to coaches or even recruiting guys.

So I guess the pies will not poach any employee of any other AFL team that is currently under contract. Yeah, right.........

In the end, might is right, I fear.

They were certainly looking into it big-time after Eddie bitched about Neeld, Brad Scott, McKenna and Melbourne's chase of Pies' staff at the start of the year.