What is Tanking?  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What an attitude.

You can't legislate retroactively against a 'vibe.' Intent is hard to glean as this poll shows.

Needless to say I would appeal any sanction.

I never said there was proof. Just said if there was, we are in trouble. For what it's worth, I think it would be almost impossible to come up with the required evidence, and if we were punished I would most likely support an appeal. Just have to wait and see what the AFL dig up I suppose.

Effectively, if we do suffer penalties or sanctions , the AFL would need to prove that our club 'Fixed' matches - Won't happen . So we've rested veteran players , made various positional moves , put players in for early surgeries, given young players more game time, etc etc - ya know, the same stuff that's been going for forever and a day . What's the drama ?

One particular 'Journo' has taken the whole thing too far and it's fairly clear this particular 'Person' doesn't mind creating enemies and/or is in 'Payback' mode . Some people thrive on that sort of stuff but in the end it comes back to haunt them . This article (below) was posted in another thread . It quite disgusted me and it gives you an idea of the mindset of this 'Person'

http://www.vexnews.c...lly-like-sport/

The whole tanking issue is a juicy story but it probably won't amount to anything unless at least one person involved comes out and says - "We threw the game" . So far , in all the articles that have been published and all the debate on radio etc , we've yet to see those words appear .

But if we do somehow receive sanctions, I fail to see how at least another 10 clubs wouldn't suffer similar penalties or worse . It would be open slather . The AFL would have to question the validity of the 2008 and 2010 flags 'Won' by the Hawks and the Pies . All it would take is to dig deep into those 2004 and 2005 'Questionable' seasons - the same sort of hearsay and innuendo would appear and hey presto - more penalties and sanctions .

It's any wonder that Eddie is seemingly on our side and of course, Jeff may well of received a call from the Hawks to pipe down . A few months ago Eddie was calling for an amnesty - usually he'd be acting a lot differently . He was effectively calling for the AFL to get the clubs to 'Come clean secretly'. That did seem a little bit out of character ...

What's also interesting is the attitude of those involved with clubs who previously received priority picks . They have been quite circumspect and rather 'Quiet' . Even clubs who didn't receive priority picks could be implicated - obviously the lower the position on the ladder - the better the draft pick number . Tigers 2007 ? Eagles 2008 ?

This would be one huge can of worms the AFL would be opening - one the size of a 44 gallon drum .

The practice of 'Preparing' for the next season goes back more than 100 years in our sport . In the end we can only be guilty of 'Preparing' for the next season - how is that a crime ?

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

So have I got it right. We win 12 games of 66 during seasons 2007 2008 & 2009 so all of a sudden we are that good that we can dictate games and throw them.

I think what all of this shows is how incompetent all of the so called expert journalists out there are. They are reporting everything but nothing and missing the fact that WE WERE SIMPLY NO GOOD during that time.

First time poster, long long time reader. This poll is absolutely ridiculous and I hold it in the same respect as I do Mrs CW article in the Age.

Excuse me?! lol

This poll, for those with the required wherewithall, takes a person down the path that 'tanking' is so hard to prove and prosecute as to make it nearly non-existent.

You can talk to the new FD all you like - they are irrelevant in this mess. They only way they would become relevant is if they get themselves quoted somewhere. Thankfully, Mark Stevens is preoccupied to quote Demonland at the moment so we don't have to worry about your post.

And use the default font type.

One particular 'Journo' has taken the whole thing too far and it's fairly clear this particular 'Person' doesn't mind creating enemies and/or is in 'Payback' mode . Some people thrive on that sort of stuff but in the end it comes back to haunt them . This article (below) was posted in another thread . It quite disgusted me and it gives you an idea of the mindset of this 'Person'

http://www.vexnews.c...lly-like-sport/

That article is a disgrace.

..... as for that poor non-athlete in the photograph.........

Oh, and welcome.

rpfc, please accept my apologies. I was a little to passionate yesterday after speaking with the FD. I acknowledge your post and please accept my sincerest apologies. It was not an attack at you.

I did read a nice article to-day http://www.bigpondsport.com/tanking-probes-innocent-victims/tabid/91/newsid/97657/default.aspx on the tanking issue.

My apologies to all.

We played to win 4 games a year in both 2008-09 in order to maximize the value of draft picks on offer. Is that Tanking?

It is what actually happened.

commonplace.

teams did it again this year, but not for priority picks, but for the best dibs they could get themselves to setup their futures.

Surely in this situation it is unfair to penalize the club by taking draft picks off us as we could end up needing priority picks next year... Same goes for a financial fine. Why do that and run the risk of giving us more money later.

To me, the best logical way to punish tanking is to wait until the end of the season and give us enough premiership points to put us ninth on the ladder. That way we don't get the best of the draft, but we don't get to play in finals either...

The only down side is that we would have to call Richmond Tenthmond.

• Like 1

First time poster, long long time reader. This poll is absolutely ridiculous and I hold it in the same respect as I do Mrs CW article in the Age.

I spoke with three senior members of the MFC FD to-day and they all said the subject of tanking was being fuelled mostly by MFC supporters. Their one wish was for supporters to keep supporting and concentrate on pre-season and getting down to support the club.

They were not concerned one bit about BS allegations. I have never before seen more focused and determined people in all my life.

Please no more. Let’s get together support the club and back the current administration to deal with the AFL and we can all concentrate on our players, pre-season and the great improvement we are going to have in the up-coming years.

I love the Dees and I love you all.

CARN THE DEES.

Well said.

So have I got it right. We win 12 games of 66 during seasons 2007 2008 & 2009 so all of a sudden we are that good that we can dictate games and throw them.

I think what all of this shows is how incompetent all of the so called expert journalists out there are. They are reporting everything but nothing and missing the fact that WE WERE SIMPLY NO GOOD during that time.

Oh yeah-theres that too Your Honour.

Mrs Wilson and The Afl and Mr McLean have ignored the salient and glaring fact that we couldn't conspire to win a game-let alone lose one on purpose .

Apologies if this has been said elsewhere, but I was listening to SEN on the way home tonight, and Huddo and Cam Mooney were talking about tanking. I think it was in relation to something Buckley might have said about 2005 when he was captain at the club. Anyway they were not totally slagging out the MFC but one thing that caught my attention was a reference that they were saying that players were ACTIVELY told to lose games, and for this reason the AFL must throw the book at us with regards to penalties.

I haven't seen anywhere (from Caro's writings and the other journalists) anything that suggested this. Yes there was the stuff about the vault, and the other things about CC 'threatening' people etc.

Am I missing something? Brock made it clear he thought something was up, but has not come out and said Dean Bailey and CC told us in a team meeting that the team isn't to win again. Did Paul Johnson or any of the other players say this or does the AFL apparently have this evidence?

Interestingly I noted that they both feel that the real problem here is the AFL and that they need to come out and admit they got it wrong. Nothing new, but that sort of thing is getting louder and louder from the media...