2012 London Olympics

Macca

Less than a week away now and here's a chance for us Demon fans to get a bit of joy into our lives !

What are people looking forward to ?

I'm hoping for lots of medals (any colour) and the main sports I'm interested in are Track and Field , Swimming , Track Cycling and the Rowing . The Aussies have traditionally done well in the latter 3 sports and hopefully we can snag a few medals in Track and Field .

A lot of the 'Medal' events will commence around 4am so set your alarms !

Bring it on !

Edited by Macca

The article in todays The Age about Lisel Jones "asking" if she is too fat is a disgrace! Treating an Olympic gold medalist, the FIRST EVER SWIMMER for Australia to compete at 4 Olympics in such a way is purile and becoming The Herald Sun like "journalism".

The article in todays The Age about Lisel Jones "asking" if she is too fat is a disgrace! Treating an Olympic gold medalist, the FIRST EVER SWIMMER for Australia to compete at 4 Olympics in such a way is purile and becoming The Herald Sun like "journalism".

Pi55 poor by the Hun too with a spread and photo's of her poolside. I hope she doesn't read it before she competes. Unfair.

Macca, I'll keep on eye on the hockey. The timing difference will be perfect (7pm-10pm our time) for most games and I expect the Aussies to get to the final and win GOLD.Of course, I'll keep an eye on the swimming early in first week when possible.

Pi55 poor by the Hun too with a spread and photo's of her poolside. I hope she doesn't read it before she competes. Unfair..

I hope she does read it and wins by a street to stick it up them.

I hope she does read it and wins by a street to stick it up them.

Agree in that regard.

But do you think there will be any 'care factor' by those responsible, if she does stick it up them ?

Agree in that regard.

But do you think there will be any 'care factor' by those responsible, if she does stick it up them ?

There'll be no accountability that's for sure - seemingly one of the biggest problem in "journalism."

Haven't seen the article but heard about it 'Cards' . Not good , but hardly surprising . Leisel may well be our flag bearer though Drew Ginn would have to be a chance . Won't mention the journalist's name who put his name to the 'little paper's' article , but he's on my list of those not to read again .

Macca, I'll keep on eye on the hockey. The timing difference will be perfect (7pm-10pm our time) for most games and I expect the Aussies to get to the final and win GOLD.Of course, I'll keep an eye on the swimming early in first week when possible.

Yeah , I've noticed that quite a number of the Oz team events are on at fan friendly times (Early to late evening AEST) Here's the Oz team event involvements for the first week . All times are AEST...

Sun 29th 7.15am . Women's Basketball . Australia / Great Britain

Sun 29th 5.30pm . Women's Hockey . Australia / New Zealand

Sun 29th 8.15pm . Men's Basketball . Australia / Brazil

Sun 29th 11.10pm . Men's Water Polo . Australia / Italy

Sun 29th 11.45pm . Men's Volleyball . Australia / Argentina

Mon 30th 7.45pm . Men's Hockey . Australia / South Africa

Mon 30th 11.30pm . Women's Basketball . Australia / France

Tues 31st 12.30am . Women's Water Polo . Australia / Italy

Tues 31st 7.30pm . Equestrian Team Jumping final .

Tues 31st 8.15pm . Men's Basketball . Australia / Spain .

Tues 31st 11.10pm . Men's Water Polo . Australia / Kazakhstan .

Wed 1st 1.30am Women's Gymnastics team final .

Wed 1st 5.00am . Men's Volleyball . Australia / Great Britain .

Wed 1st 5.30pm . Men's Hockey . Australia / Spain

Wed 1st 11.30pm . Women's Basketball . Australia / Brazil

Thurs 2nd 4.40am . Women's Water Polo . Australia / Great Britain

Thurs 2nd 7.00pm . Men's Water Polo . Australia / Spain

Thurs 2nd 7.45pm . Women's Hockey . Australia / USA

Thurs 2nd 8.15pm . Men's Basketball . Australia / China

Thurs 2nd 8.30pm . Men's Volleyball . Australia / Bulgaria

Fri 3rd 5.30pm . Men's Hockey . Australia / Argentina

Fri 3rd 8.15pm . Women's Basketball . Australia / Russia

Sat 4th 12.30am . Women's Water Polo . Australia / Russia

Sat 4th 5.30pm . Women's Hockey . Australia / South Africa

Sat 4th 8.20pm . Men's Water Polo . Australia / Croatia

Sat 4th 11.45pm . Men's Volleyball . Australia / Italy

Sun 5th 5.00am . Men's Basketball . Australia / Great Britain

Sun 5th 11.30pm . Women's Basketball . Australia / Canada

Mon 6th 1.00am . Women's Water Polo . QF . Australia / China

Mon 6th 4.00am . Men's Hockey . Australia / Great Britain

Quite a bit there in the first week ! I'll re-check the times and dates later on and may 'bump' this post on Saturday so as it has more relevence .

The Mens 4 x 100 metre freestyle 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' will be fun to watch (No predictions - I've a habit of 'Mozzing' things !)

Edit : Sports Illustrated are giving us 16 Gold . But no rowing Gold ? 3 Sailing Gold though . You would take 16 Gold in a heartbeat .

gold-medal-420x0.jpg

Edited by Macca

Olympics got off to a great start in the womens' soccer... introducing the North Korean team on the big screen, showing them alongside the South Korean flag. Wonder if the Borat anthem will get played again at some point in the competition.

• Like 1

I love the Olympics .

Watching peoples life dreams turn to reality in the thrill of victory or dissolve in the agony of defeat really strikes my cord.

I'm not really fussed on who wins during these games apart from Sally Pearson .

She been tearing it up for a few years now and I hope she can bring it home on the biggest of days for her.

Only takes a dodgey hurdle or 2 to buck it all up tho'.

I'll be interested seeing how Magnussun goes also.

Obviously doesn't mind heaping the pressure on himself.

Again, you only have to be abit off in a mad sprint to get done.

Was interested reading about the sexploits of the Olympians in the age the other day.

Little wonder Russell Mark wants to know exactly where his missus is when the Dream Team hit the village.

P.s. Wish Michelle Jenneke was running.

Yeow ... Hot.

http://www.heraldsun...j-1226435410108

Edited by My TD

Good on Lauren Jackson getting the flag. One of our best athletes ever in my mind. Dominates not on a local stage but on the international stage. An absolute gun and well deserved.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Lauren Jackson on being our Flag Bearer . Fully deserved . Her list of achievements is quite outstanding ...

Olympic Games

Silver 2000 Sydney

Silver 2004 Athens

Silver 2008 Beijing

World Championship

Gold 2006 Brazil

Commonwealth Games

Gold 2006 Melbourne

Edited by Macca

I'm more into the team sports than the individual ones, but I'll really watch whatever's on. I find the triathlon very interesting to watch and I'm in complete awe of all the athletes who compete in it.

Does anybody have an explanation as to why there hasn't been a whole lot of talk surrounding Michael Phelps this time around? He set all kinds of records in Beijing, but barely seems to be getting any coverage at the moment. I'm aware that he is 4 years older and may no longer be in his prime, but surely someone who wins 8 gold medals in a single Olympics doesn't fade into obscurity that quickly.

The Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games should be an uplifting moment in time.

That is not the case for this year's games and here is the reason why:-

Jacques Rogge, You Have Let Terror Win Today by BICOM CEO, Dermot Kehoe

When Ankie Spitzer, widow of Andre Spitzer, stretched out her hands to Jacques Rogge, the International Olympic Committee president, and begged him to hold a minute’s silence, he refused. “My hands are tied” he said. “No,” Ankie replied: “Your hands are not tied. My husband’s hands were tied, so were here his feet, when he was murdered. That was having your hands tied.”

The article is about the IOC's shameful refusal to hold a minute's silence in memory of 11 Israeli athletes murdered by terrorists at the 1972 Munich Olympics and to quote the philosopher Edmund Burke:-

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

The Olympics have lost all meaning they may have had - which was for gay Greeks to watch nude men wrestle.

Now they are a chance for the Coke Corporation and Dow to [censored] their wares.

Blame Coca-cola.

Jaques Rogge has no more control over the opening ceremony than you or me .

After yesterdays thread on Tom Scully and forgiveness/lack thereof I'm not even going to give my opinion on whether

there should or should not be a minutes silence for this.

Lets just have a glass of Coke and then some Agent Orange and unite!

Then let's have another glass of Coke. 

And another.

Wow ! That was some show !

We're in for a great 2 weeks .

After watching us play North I think this Olympics may actually be interesting .

Let the games begin !

Lot's of Aussie's in action tonight including involvement in 8 rowing heats and 8 swimming heats from about 6.30pm .

The cycling road race for men starts at 7pm and we're well represented in a host of other sports . There's medals up for grabs in the swimming finals from 4.30am and the Opals are in action against Great Britain at 7.15am tomorrow morning .

Edited by Macca

Let the games begin !

Lot's of Aussie's in action tonight including involvement in 8 rowing heats and 9 swimming heats from about 6.30pm .

The cycling road race for men starts at 7pm and we're well represented in a host of other sports . There's medals up for grabs in the swimming finals from 4.30am and the Opals are in action against Great Britain at 7.15am tomorrow morning .

Thanks Macca. Almost forgot about the road race.

O'Grady in the breakaway group.

Thanks Macca. Almost forgot about the road race.

O'Grady in the breakaway group.

Well , judging by the profile of the race , Mark Cavendish will do well to win it . I just love those profile's ..

road_race_profile.JPG

Alexandre Vinokourov wins the road race . Great tactics . Gold for Kazakhstan .

Alexandre Vinokourov wins the road race . Great tactics . Gold for Kazakhstan .

Borat will be so proud!

• Like 1

Was a great race to watch last night. The GB team left their run too late. Was Alexandre Vinokourov one of, if not the oldest, in the race?

Gold for the 4 x 100 freestyle girls ! Woohoo !

We were ranked 3rd in this event going in to the Olympics , so this win , in a lot of ways , is a bonus . You Beauty .

Gold Australia GOLD !

752089-women-039-s-freestyle-relay-team.jpg

Edited by Macca

Gold for the 4 x 100 freestyle girls ! Woohoo .

We were ranked 3rd in this event going in to the Olympics , so this win , in a lot of ways , is a bonus . You Beauty .

Gold Australia GOLD !

Haha, or as the great Bill Lawry would put it "That's Australian Gold my friend and don't you [censored] forget it!"

Great result.

I was mainly watching last night for the road race, but I've got sucked into another couple of events. Kim Crow looks like a contender in the women's single sculls.

And prize for the best name goes to Australian women's table tennis player Miao Miao (pronounced Meow Meow). Ha... simple things!

Some of the events that the Aussies are participating in tonight ...

Sun 29th 5.30pm . Women's Hockey . Australia / New Zealand

Sun 29th 8.15pm . Men's Basketball . Australia / Brazil

Sun 29th 11.10pm . Men's Water Polo . Australia / Italy

Sun 29th 11.45pm . Men's Volleyball . Australia / Argentina

For cycling fans the Women's road race (same course as last night) will commence at 9.00pm AEST .

The Men's 4x100 freestyle relay team (Weapons of Mass Destruction) are in action tonight as well .

For the full schedule of the 'Aussies in Action Today' go to this link ...

http://london2012.ol...ies-in-action1

NB : Don't forget to add 9 hours to the event times at the above link , to arrive at AEST .

Edited by Macca