Must Read Opinion Piece for all Demon Fans

Range Rover

Don't know who this Adam Jones guy is but he's a damned good writer, hitting nail after nail on the head in this timely article.

"Neeld is exposing those on the list who don't desire or deserve to be there. It's a difficult process but one that will reap dividends in time."

http://www.bigpondsp...05/default.aspx

Edited by Range Rover

All here know deep down he is right and unfortunately the club has continued with this weak unmotivated group for too long

All here know deep down he is right and unfortunately the club has continued with this weak unmotivated group for too long

"All"?

Some of what he wrote I agree with, but I also think a lot is simplistic and, worse, just scissors-and-paste from any number of selective sources (such as the right-wing of Demonland). He doesn't confirm, he just repeats.

• Like 1

A welcome band-aid on the media haemhorrage this week. I think most would agree that the players are the ones under the real spotlight. It might be time to agree that Neelds job is to fix the wreck first, then build something. I had expectations of something better in 2012, but the current facts show my expectations were off. I have sadly readjusted them.

Sorry guys that article brings nothing to the table, Neelds position was only brought into doubt by some dubious Caroline Wilson twitter rip off and this guy has built an article around it.

Even on this forum where emotion is running high for obvious reasons I don't see many calls for Neelds head, I see questioning of his approach and game plan and why not after the performances we have given on field.

The worst list in the competition? well I guess we are performing like it.

• Like 2

This is exactly what it is an opinion piece, no better or no worse that the rest of the hot air that has been around this week, I think from another topic the Darren Jolly piece takes the cake, this is talking about something 10 years ago

This is exactly what it is an opinion piece, no better or no worse that the rest of the hot air that has been around this week, I think from another topic the Darren Jolly piece takes the cake, this is talking about something 10 years ago

And no doubt something that was evident long ago that answers people's questions on these forums over the last 3-4 yrs when Bailey was at the helm. It's all relative to the nature of our:

*playing list

*professionalism as a club

Of the past which leads us to today.

I disagree with his and others take on our list. There's so much "fast food" list analysis by people that aren't fully cognitive of the players on it. It's a knee-jerk reaction by those that think it's the obvious answer. This guy wouldn't have heard of Tynan or Taggert. He wouldn't know what has recently ailed Tapscott, Strauss and Gysberts. He'd dismiss these players as not good enough. They haven't shown enough. But most that know our club intimately recognise that these players are very much part of our future. If not for injury these players would have 50 games to their names and would be well on the way to being important players for the club. But none have played 20. And there's no doubt that development of our players has been lacking, but we have new structures in place which will make a difference.

I'm not saying that we don't have holes. We all know that our midfield needs an injection of class, but that can happen relatively quickly. We also need a couple of quality small forwards, but that can be addressed relatively quickly too.

There's so much lazy journalism at the moment. Journalists and opposition supporters laughed at Neil Craig last year when he said that the list he had was the most talented in his time at the club. This was on the back of a 96 point thrashing by Melbourne. But suddenly one year later the Crows are lauded for having a great list and are one of the premiership favourites. As I said, fast food list analysis seems to be the order of the day.

As canvassed, there are major issues at our club, but I reckon the list is in a far healthier state than is presently being shown.

• Like 4

I disagree with his and others take on our list. There's so much "fast food" list analysis by people that aren't fully cognitive of the players on it. It's a knee-jerk reaction by those that think it's the obvious answer. This guy wouldn't have heard of Tynan or Taggert. He wouldn't know what has recently ailed Tapscott, Strauss and Gysberts. He'd dismiss these players as not good enough. They haven't shown enough. But most that know our club intimately recognise that these players are very much part of our future. If not for injury these players would have 50 games to their names and would be well on the way to being important players for the club. But none have played 20. And there's no doubt that development of our players has been lacking, but we have new structures in place which will make a difference.

I'm not saying that we don't have holes. We all know that our midfield needs an injection of class, but that can happen relatively quickly. We also need a couple of quality small forwards, but that can be addressed relatively quickly too.

There's so much lazy journalism at the moment. Journalists and opposition supporters laughed at Neil Craig last year when he said that the list he had was the most talented in his time at the club. This was on the back of a 96 point thrashing by Melbourne. But suddenly one year later the Crows are lauded for having a great list and are one of the premiership favourites. As I said, fast food list analysis seems to be the order of the day.

As canvassed, there are major issues at our club, but I reckon the list is in a far healthier state than is presently being shown.

Same thing happened at Essendon mate, now look at their list. Things can turn quickly.

• Like 1

Agree with this assessment on the younger players too not mentioned. All the more reason to support Neeld and his team.

I'd like to think the midfield can be replenished quickly at this years draft. I think it will. You say a couple of quality small forwards can be found relatively quickly - I would like to think so too, but we've been waiting a while already and they (quality) are not easy to come by.

I disagree with his and others take on our list. There's so much "fast food" list analysis by people that aren't fully cognitive of the players on it. It's a knee-jerk reaction by those that think it's the obvious answer..............

One sentence in particular stood out for me

"No, the Demons won't reach 8.5 wins this season, but that doesn't mean they are going backwards."

This bloke is one of the few that understands this.

There's a presumption in the mindless media that because we won 8 games last year then we should win at least 10 this year as a pass-mark.

Prior to the season I was expecting around the same result as 2011 but with fewer floggings

I was expecting the new coach to take an evolutionary approach with the implementation of new game styles and tactics

I was wrong on both counts

Neeld instead has taken the revolutionary path and damn the cost. I'm convinced he doesn't really give a toss about where we finish this year or how many wins we have. He knows where he wants to take this footy team & he wants to get there quickly. If that means burning 2012, so be it. I also reckon McLardy & the board know exactly what he's doing & why.

Agree with the quoted poster that our list is not as bad as it is being painted. A lot of these blokes can play - we've seen it. Quite a few have had their development stifled through injury but we have seen they have the tools to be quality AFL players (Gys, Tappy).

I had thought we had significant issues up forward but these have been largely addressed. Mitch Clark is a much better, much more committed footballer than I ever thought he was.

We need to address the holes in the middle. Once that is done, things can quickly turn around. Maybe not as dramatically as the WCE revival, but not far off.

When Judd was returning to Victoria, we weren't ready for him. Now we are. We should be pursuing a player of similar stature, drive, & work ethic, not to mention skill, to lead our midfield from 2013. Things can take off quickly

And then we can put the current nightmare behind us. But we'll have to live this horrible dream for the rest of the year.

Edited by Go the Biff
  • Like 1

This article is predicated on the rumours that were not true at all about us considering swapping Malthouse for Neeld.

You can't base an argument on that and be taken seriously.

Sorry.