Hypothetical: Rendell?

Striker475

Her I think are the AFL's Contact Details + an contact via email,,, page link Re: the reinstate Matty Rendell...

AFL House Contact Details:

Telephone 03 9643 1999

Postal Address GPO Box 1449 Melbourne 3001

Contact web page > https://telstra.com/...aflenquiry.asp?

Remember to check the 'General' button, to the bottom of the list of Options.[/u

Thanks will get onto it tomorrow.

You're all kidding right?..

What sort of respect does that show to our indigenous boys, Davey,Bennel,Jurrah,Lawrence,Jetta.

You call yourselves supporters, the only thing you support is racism....fools!

You "liked" Kony2012 didn't you....

:)

The AFL CEO is joking when he says on the one hand " once the comment was made his job was untenable" and on the other hand " he wasn't sacked as he was given 2 hours to think about it' . Mr Spin stuffed up. He admitted talking to to the Crows CEO the day before Rendell went and telling the CEO to fix the problem. The very same day he was quoted as saying "the person who made the comment had to go" and also admitting that he knew who made the comment when he said that.

Rendell said he was told resign or be sacked you have 2 hours to decide. That is the 2 hours Demetriou is talking about.

2 months after a throw away comment a bloke is sacked without a chance to retract, explain, be counselled, fined, suspended or any alternative.

Dipper made a racist comment and he was allowed to stay as an AFL employee.

If I was Rendell I would sue the AFL for heaps.

As a sideline if it wasn't so serious it would be very funny, Demetriou kept calling Jason MIFSUD "MISFUD" over and over "on the couch".

I thought watching Rendell on Footy Classified was extremely sad seeing a person's life being torn apart and I know she had a job to do but I thought Caro was disgraceful. The other 3 showed common decency.

IMO the AFL stands condemned for disgusting behaviour towards one of its own in an effort to grandstand.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3

I thought watching Rendell on Footy Classified was extremely sad seeing a person's life being torn apart and I know she had a job to do but I thought Caro was disgraceful. The other 3 showed common decency.

I agree, I usually don't mind her but she kept using the journalistic tactic of asking the same question repeatedly and it was getting extremely frustrating watching it.

• Like 1

Mat Rendell says to Jason Mifsud that there is a high attrition rate of Indigenous players and that we need to do something about, he then suggest a solution, and adds if we don't do this clubs such as the crows would only start recruiting indigenous players who have at least one non-indigenous parent.

Mat Rendell reckons it was a throw away comment. But he has just stated that the issue with Indigenous players not staying in Footy relates to the fact that they are Indigenous and brought up by Indigenous parents and therefore they can not hack the rigours and systems of AFL football. Misguided comments yes but Adelaide FC and the AFL need to be very clear that those types of comments do not belong in football. Because they can be seen to vilify and stereotype a race.

People say well we are becoming to PC and all to precious.

In the 1900's in this country their was a belief by the Governments and its leaders that and I will use their terms for it the "Full Blood" Aboriginal race is doomed to extinction, people such a Herbert Spencer espoused and paraded out a belief that is termed Social Darwinism and that belief was that the "Inferior races" were doomed to whither and die like Darwin's Natural Selection ,the superior race because they had evolved and adapted would survive and flourish. This thinking led to the formulation of the Protection Acts which were enacted to Protect the Full Blood Aboriginal whilst they fade into history, in Australia at the time there were many (again their term) Half Caste children who due to their non-Indigenous blood were deemed to be savable. So they placed a clause in all the acts that stated that all Aboriginal Children were deemed wards of the state, and decision regarding their welfare would be made by the protector. This allowed them to go into Aboriginal communities and remove all the children who were "Half Caste" and raise them as Non Indigenous, teaching them to read and write to a primary school level so they could go and work as stock men labourers and domestic for no wages. (this was because of a clause that placed all property of Aboriginal people under the care of the protector) The protection acts restricted Aboriginal people movements, employment and even who they could marry. The protections acts in some states were not repealed until the mid to late 1960's and some states like QLD the early 1970's.

What has this to do with today.I am an Aboriginal man I was born in the 70's I have witnessed and heard some of the most heart breaking stories from my family and friends about how these Acts have torn apart families and left scars that will take generations to heal. Mat Rendell's comment revive that belief that Indigenous people of mixed descent are some what superior because of their non-indigenous blood.

This is fundamentally wrong and should not be tolerated in any way shape or form.

IMO Matt Rendell is not a rascist, he is a misguided. He needed to be sacked because AFC had to ensure that they were not tainted by his misguided comments.

I have copies of both the WA Protection Acts and the QLD Protection Acts if anyone wants to peruse them.

Also interestingly the methods used in the acts to segregate people and restrict movements were perfected by the British upon the Irish before they came to this land. Restriction of Language is an example of some of the similarities and the Irish were also ridiculed as being Liars, Thieves and Lazy people who would not work by the British.

In regards to that belief that we as a people were doomed to extinction, it gives me great satisfaction to say we have survived and we will continue to survive because that's how we have lived in this great land for 40,000 years.

Would I consider hiring him as a recruiter. I don't know probably not now but maybe if his recruiting record at Adelaide bear fruit in a couple of years.

Edited by Felix da Dee
  • Like 3

Mat Rendell says to Jason Mifsud that there is a high attrition rate of Indigenous players and that we need to do something about, he then suggest a solution, and adds if we don't do this clubs such as the crows would only start recruiting indigenous players who have at least one non-indigenous parent.

Mat Rendell reckons it was a throw away comment. But he has just stated that the issue with Indigenous players not staying in Footy relates to the fact that they are Indigenous and brought up by Indigenous parents and therefore they can not hack the rigours and systems of AFL football. Misguided comments yes but Adelaide FC and the AFL need to be very clear that those types of comments do not belong in football. Because they can be seen to vilify and stereotype a race.

In the 1900's in this country their was a belief by the Governments and its leaders that and I will use their terms for it the "Full Blood" Aboriginal race is doomed to extinction, people such a Herbert Spencer espoused and paraded out a belief that is termed Social Darwinism and that belief was that the "Inferior races" were doomed to whither and die like Darwin's Natural Selection ,the superior race because they had evolved and adapted would survive and flourish. This thinking led to the formulation of the Protection Acts which were enacted to Protect the Full Blood Aboriginal whilst they fade into history, in Australia at the time there were many (again their term) Half Caste children who due to their non-Indigenous blood were deemed to be savable. So they placed a clause in all the acts that stated that all Aboriginal Children were deemed wards of the state, and decision regarding their welfare would be made by the protector. This allowed them to go into Aboriginal communities and remove all the children who were "Half Caste" and raise them as Non Indigenous, teaching them to read and write to a primary school level so they could go and work as stock men labourers and domestic for no wages. (this was because of a clause that placed all property of Aboriginal people under the care of the protector) The protection acts restricted Aboriginal people movements, employment and even who they could marry. The protections acts in some states were not repealed until the mid to late 1960's and some states like QLD the early 1970's.

What has this to do with today.I am an Aboriginal man I was born in the 70's I have witnessed and heard some of the most heart breaking stories from my family and friends about how these Acts have torn apart families and left scars that will take generations to heal. Mat Rendell's comment revive that belief that Indigenous people of mixed descent are some what superior because of their non-indigenous blood.

This is fundamentally wrong and should not be tolerated in any way shape or form.

IMO Matt Rendell is not a rascist, he is a misguided. He needed to be sacked because AFC had to ensure that they were not tainted by his misguided comments.

I have copies of both the WA Protection Acts and the QLD Protection Acts if anyone wants to peruse them.

Also interestingly the methods used in the acts to segregate people and restrict movements were perfected by the British upon the Irish before they came to this land. Restriction of Language is an example of some of the similarities and the Irish were also ridiculed as being Liars, Thieves and Lazy people who would not work by the British.

In regards to that belief that we as a people were doomed to extinction, it gives me great satisfaction to say we have survived and we will continue to survive because that's how we have lived in this great land for 40,000 years.

Would I consider hiring him as a recruiter. I don't know probably not now but maybe if his recruiting record at Adelaide bear fruit in a couple of years.

Rendell's suggestion of having a pathway to help indigenous youths assimilate into the AFL system was a good or bad idea?

He didn't Need to be sacked for being 'Misguided'.

'This is' the Politically Correct' Mistake!

If he was 'misguided', or naive in his words, then he should have been spoken to & then Educated. NOT sacked!! Jimma would love this.

They are throwing a former champ & great bloke who loves what he does & wants to help the aboriginal boys get on with their Footy. Destroying an Innocent Man.

Edited by dee-luded

Hdidn't Need to be sacked for being 'Misguided'.

If he was 'misguided', or naive in his words, then he should have been spoken to & then Educated. NOT sacked!! Jimma would love this.

They are throwing a former champ & great bloke who loves what he does & wants to help the aboriginal boys get on with their Footy. Destroying an Innocent Man.

Havnt you learnt by now - The AFL doesnt want honest people anywhere in the system! :lol:

Hdidn't Need to be sacked for being 'Misguided'.

That's my take as well DL. Felix I cannot even pretend to understand your situation and have great respect for those who have fought for better rights for all. Matt Rendell however, in my take made it very clear... He has never ever drafted using the one white parent policy he simply stated without amendtments this is a path that MAY end up being taken by clubs. He didn't say it was the right one just a possibility.

To me that shows him showing more care for the Aboriginal community that those who sit idly by and let it happen. If we continue to live in a world where people will fear touching sensitive issues for fear of reprocussions we will never see advancements for those who deserve it.

I was always taught if something hurts you don't smile and ignore it ask for an explanation. If Mifsud was upset this was as easy as asking Rendell one question and never having an issue here. He has let his friend down.

• Like 1

A public relations disaster - akin to nominating Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to the Nobel peace prize.

That's my take as well DL. Felix I cannot even pretend to understand your situation and have great respect for those who have fought for better rights for all. Matt Rendell however, in my take made it very clear... He has never ever drafted using the one white parent policy he simply stated without amendtments this is a path that MAY end up being taken by clubs. He didn't say it was the right one just a possibility. To me that shows him showing more care for the Aboriginal community that those who sit idly by and let it happen. If we continue to live in a world where people will fear touching sensitive issues for fear of reprocussions we will never see advancements for those who deserve it. I was always taught if something hurts you don't smile and ignore it ask for an explanation. If Mifsud was upset this was as easy as asking Rendell one question and never having an issue here. He has let his friend down.

I have played football with Mifsud and he is one very volatile piece of work.

I doubt we will ever know what was actually said. ..... there is no room left for any sort of independent investigation. What did he say? What did he mean? What was the question? What was the context?

Who knows? Could have probably gotten a lot closer to the truth if it hadn't been played out in the media

What concerns me, based on the information to date, is that after months of no action, a predetermined set of outcomes have been demanded and delivered in a most public and expeditious manner. Was a little more process warranted?

There is no place for racism in the game or our society. Nor is should there be for trial by media

Edited by Retrospective

I don't know all the facts but I can't help feeling AD has destroyed the job and reputation of a good person for some misguided political gain.

This is not a good example of working toward reconciliation

Demetriou has realized the anger out there and has now backtracked saying that Rendell could come back to AFL if he learns from his "ignorant mistake". Perhaps we should change it to "arrogant mistake" and apply it to Demetriou.

• Like 1

Demetriou has realized the anger out there and has now backtracked saying that Rendell could come back to AFL if he learns from his "ignorant mistake". Perhaps we should change it to "arrogant mistake" and apply it to Demetriou.

truly

Pity AD's backtracking is out of self-interest not fair-play

• Like 1

He said... he would not recruit an indigenous player unless they had one white parent.

So you guys think its ok to bring someone with this sort of attitute to our club?????

I don't think Rendell said that. Here's his view:

"My comments were about where recruiting could finish up".

However, I don't see how we could recruit him right now, given the way in which the AFL just chucked him under the bus.

I doubt we will ever know what was actually said. ..... there is no room left for any sort of independent investigation. What did he say? What did he mean? What was the question? What was the context?

Who knows? Could have probably gotten a lot closer to the truth if it hadn't been played out in the media

What concerns me, based on the information to date, is that after months of no action, a predetermined set of outcomes have been demanded and delivered in a most public and expeditious manner. Was a little more process warranted?

There is no place for racism in the game or our society. Nor is should there be for trial by media

Is there room for Honesty, & Integrity?

So we abandon good people so we can maintain 'Good Press'???

What sort of Society have we become when the truth doesn't matter, because some people don't read past the Headline?

I'm disgusted with whats happened to Rendell.

He's bloody want to. He's off the Planet on this one.

There would be a number of indigenous kids that would be thinking they may not have a chance of being drafted to an AFL club right now . Based on the fact that may not have one white parent .

That's why Matt Rendell's comment was so damaging . Whether he was taken out of context or made the comment privately has now become irrelevant . He had a chance to apologise properly and he didn't .

I think we'll find in the near future that Matt Rendell will apologise unconditionally . Especially if he wants to return to the football industry . I can't understand why recruiters would be thinking along these lines anyway . We're supposed to be living in a more enlightened age .

Whilst I'm not labeling Matt Rendell a racist , his reference to "One white parent" is in my opinion . However , I do believe Matt being sacked seems a fair bit unfair . Mediation and education should have been looked at first .

One more point . For a number of years now we've been hearing from recruiters about how a certain potential draftee comes from "A good family" . Whilst it's not a racist comment I still find it somewhat offensive . And so do most people I speak to about the issue .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

There would be a number of indigenous kids that would be thinking they may not have a chance of being drafted to an AFL club right now . Based on the fact that may not have one white parent .

That's why Matt Rendell's comment was so damaging . Whether he was taken out of context or made the comment privately has now become irrelevant . He had a chance to apologise properly and he didn't .

I think we'll find in the near future that Matt Rendell will apologise unconditionally . Especially if he wants to return to the football industry . I can't understand why recruiters would be thinking along these lines anyway . We're supposed to be living in a more enlightened age .

Whilst I'm not labeling Matt Rendell a racist , his reference to "One white parent" is in my opinion . However , I do believe Matt being sacked seems a fair bit unfair . Mediation and education should have been looked at first .

Cheers

The conversation was a private conversation, themed around whats wrong with the system, that is making it too hard for many indigenous draftees to survive the ' Professional Game' & the Big Smoke.

It was said in a way that was aimed at helping the Kids. That he was concerned for them. And said to Mifsud, or possibly one other came into the roon at some point. It was never public so needn't have become a Public stoush,

But, for some reason, the AFl decided to publicize the Issue, Months after the 'chat'. And sacked him..... Was this Public Grandstanding ???

The conversation was a private conversation, themed around whats wrong with the system, that is making it too hard for many indigenous draftees to survive the ' Professional Game' & the Big Smoke.

It was said in a way that was aimed at helping the Kids. That he was concerned for them. And said to Mifsud, or possibly one other came into the roon at some point. It was never public so needn't have become a Public stoush,

But, for some reason, the AFl decided to publicize the Issue, Months after the 'chat'. And sacked him..... Was this Public Grandstanding ???

Yeah dl , I did edit my post to include the "sacking" part of the discussion . I agree with you somewhat in this area . The AFL should have handled it better . A sledgehammer approach which I don't agree with .

The issue should/could have been handled behind closed doors . Mediation , understanding and education .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

One more point . For a number of years now we've been hearing from recruiters about how a certain potential draftee comes from "A good family" . Whilst it's not a racist comment I still find it somewhat offensive . And so do most people I speak to about the issue .

Cheers

Lets be absolutely clear about this, now and in the future, there is no place in AFL football for "familyists".

Is there room for Honesty, & Integrity?

So we abandon good people so we can maintain 'Good Press'???

What sort of Society have we become when the truth doesn't matter, because some people don't read past the Headline?

I'm disgusted with whats happened to Rendell.

You and me both.

Edited by Redleg

Lets be absolutely clear about this, now and in the future, there is no place in AFL football for "familyists".

Ha ha , the comment is often a throwaway line by recruiters but it probably sums them up quite well . They obviously look at all aspects of a potential draftee's background . That's their job I suppose but it seems unfair to me .

I mean , do they put a line through a player because the "Dad" left the family home ? Or the "Brother" uses drugs ?

What's next ? Selective breeding ? To me , each potential draftee should be judged on whether he can play footy or not . All clubs by now should have measures in place to cater for an individuals needs . Maybe some clubs don't do that very well . Maybe that's the other issue we should be looking at .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

Ha ha , the comment is often a throwaway line by recruiters but it probably sums them up quite well . They obviously look at all aspects of a potential draftee's background . That's their job I suppose but it seems unfair to me .

I mean , do they put a line through a player because the "Dad" left the family home ? Or the "Brother" uses drugs ?

What's next ? Selective breeding ? To me , each potential draftee should be judged on whether he can play footy or not . All clubs by now should have measures in place to cater for an individuals needs . Maybe some clubs don't do that very well . Maybe that's the other issue we should be looking at .

Cheers

It seems we did re Dustin Martin.

# PS: And it seems Most did, with that young NT/WA aboriginal boy who was not drafted this past drafting period.

Troy Taylor says Hi.

# There are so many things changing Our game & World sport atmo, that it's leaving far too many behind in it's wake toward so called perfection.

Edited by dee-luded