Team Selections delayed in 2012 - thanks to channel 7!!

Vagg

Honestly, does finding out the teams at 6:15PM instead of ~5PM really make a difference?

I'm against the idea in principle, but the difference in time is irrelevant.

Causes minor conflict with available time for Dream Team analysis before bed. Otherwise, who cares.

subscriptions to fox to skyrocket come april/may

Dead right. When I had it installed the other week the technician said come feb / march next year it will be hectic and new subscribers should expect to wait for a month minimum, before installation takes place.

If anyone's thinking about hanging out a few months, keep this in mind.

Slightly off topic but I hate how the FINAL teams for the Sunday games are so hard to come by. We get the extended list on Thursday night which includes the 3 emergencies but the final team which is confirmed on Friday night often slips under the radar. With 3 games every Sunday, its about time they either announced the final team on Thursday like everyone else (seriously how often wouldn't the clubs settle on the final team by then) or they don't announce anything for the Sunday games until Friday. Unless I am listening to SEN at the exact time (and it's different every week) the final teams come through, I miss it.

Slightly off topic but I hate how the FINAL teams for the Sunday games are so hard to come by. We get the extended list on Thursday night which includes the 3 emergencies but the final team which is confirmed on Friday night often slips under the radar. With 3 games every Sunday, its about time they either announced the final team on Thursday like everyone else (seriously how often wouldn't the clubs settle on the final team by then) or they don't announce anything for the Sunday games until Friday. Unless I am listening to SEN at the exact time (and it's different every week) the final teams come through, I miss it.

They go up on the web 24 hours after Thursday's teams.

Take the Lisa Simpson approach to advertising : Just dont look just dont look. The Friday night games are just about over before there shown in WA. Having watched footy in Vic most of my life, it really is a disgrace. 10.45 Melbourne time before the game starts here. Does the Afl really think in this day and age people will wait that long to find out the results of a game?

Take the Lisa Simpson approach to advertising : Just dont look just dont look. The Friday night games are just about over before there shown in WA. Having watched footy in Vic most of my life, it really is a disgrace. 10.45 Melbourne time before the game starts here. Does the Afl really think in this day and age people will wait that long to find out the results of a game?

The AFL don't care. The got paid the money they wanted. That choice is up to you.

I've never particularly liked Channel 7's approach to AFL. What really concerns me is not reasonably trivial matters like when the teams are announced, but the lack of competition form Channel 10. Over the last 10 years we've had two free to air networks so comparison of quality of production of games and non-game programs (such as Before the Game, One Week at a Time, etc) meant viewers and critics could use one network's performance to critique the other. With a monopoly (FTA) provider we lose that and as a consequence Channel 7 is not pressured to perform as well as it should. This is, of course, no different to any other monopoly provider. And I'm afraid it means football coverage won't be as good as it should or could be for the next 5 years.

I've never particularly liked Channel 7's approach to AFL. What really concerns me is not reasonably trivial matters like when the teams are announced, but the lack of competition form Channel 10. Over the last 10 years we've had two free to air networks so comparison of quality of production of games and non-game programs (such as Before the Game, One Week at a Time, etc) meant viewers and critics could use one network's performance to critique the other. With a monopoly (FTA) provider we lose that and as a consequence Channel 7 is not pressured to perform as well as it should. This is, of course, no different to any other monopoly provider. And I'm afraid it means football coverage won't be as good as it should or could be for the next 5 years.

you are correct. Ch7 will televise the games to suit their needs, particularly because they had to pay an inflated price in rocky economic times. This is Demitrio's doing make no mistake. With another Global Financial Crisis looming Ch 7 and Foxtel will be a little worried behind closed doors. But the AFL will be now planning how to set up its own TV network so it can fully control itself maybe by the end of this current Broadcast deal.

Ch 7 paid close on a $Billion to the AFL, so you can be sure they will demand some exclusives. No big deal. Just gives us all time to walk the dog before we find out.

I think you will find that Foxtel have paid $500+ million for their share, I don't think CH 7 are paying close to a $Billion.

I think you will find that Foxtel have paid $500+ million for their share, I don't think CH 7 are paying close to a $Billion.

foxtel paid about $330 million and Telstra about $300 +- Ch 7 paid about $600 million give or take.