Team Selections delayed in 2012 - thanks to channel 7!!

Vagg

Seems Channel 7 will have the scoop on team selections next year, with no-one allowed to breath a word re the team selections until after Channel 7 News on the Thursday night. Personally, I think this sucks! Really enjoyed being able to get the teams at 5pm.

So much for "progress..."!!

Seems Channel 7 will have the scoop on team selections next year, with no-one allowed to breath a word re the team selections until after Channel 7 News on the Thursday night. Personally, I think this sucks! Really enjoyed being able to get the teams at 5pm.

So much for "progress..."!!

I am surprised you are surprised.

The AFL sold it's soul to the great TV god a long while ago.

God has decreed he wants exclusivity and 7 has got it.

I am surprised you are surprised.

The AFL sold it's soul to the great TV god a long while ago.

God has decreed he wants exclusivity and 7 has got it.

Aint that the truth!!!

Which makes it even more amazing to me that Foxtel gets to show all the games next year (live and ad free)...

Ch 7 paid close on a $Billion to the AFL, so you can be sure they will demand some exclusives. No big deal. Just gives us all time to walk the dog before we find out.

Or more time to post on Demonland before the actual announcement of who is in and out.

From recollection the teams came out at 5-5.30 whereas they have changed it until 6.15 now as the set time. My guesstimate is that clubs like Melbourne will use the text function to members to let them know of the ins and outs earlier than that through some loop hole.

We won't miss out.

My guesstimate is that clubs like Melbourne will use the text function to members to let them know of the ins and outs earlier than that through some loop hole.

We won't miss out.

My guesstimate is that clubs like Melbourne will abide by the edict or be fined money we can't afford to throw away...

I already hate Channel 7 with regards to how they have gone about their AFL coverage. They are the only tv network in the country that would cut from a team singing their song in the rooms live after winning a Grand Final to show the news... to have permission to play games live on a Friday night but deliberately delay it for the sake of 'Better Homes & Gardens' ... then to roll an advertising campaign with the slogan "At Channel 7, we love footy".

The AFL is purely a product to the station and an expensive one at that, you would think they could have handled it a lot better than what they have.

I already hate Channel 7 with regards to how they have gone about their AFL coverage. They are the only tv network in the country that would cut from a team singing their song in the rooms live after winning a Grand Final to show the news... to have permission to play games live on a Friday night but deliberately delay it for the sake of 'Better Homes & Gardens' ... then to roll an advertising campaign with the slogan "At Channel 7, we love footy".

The AFL is purely a product to the station and an expensive one at that, you would think they could have handled it a lot better than what they have.

That is how all commercial TV stations operate, not just ch. 7.

And with people watching free to air less they will become desperate for any advantage they can get. The amount of adverts in footy broadcasting from next season will be huge. We my not even see goal umpires signals anymore. Ch 7 will pull out all stops to regain the cash they spent. They only make money in september. The rest of the season they break even.

Honestly, does finding out the teams at 6:15PM instead of ~5PM really make a difference?

I'm against the idea in principle, but the difference in time is irrelevant.

Read teams at 5pm, then spend the trip home from work deciding what words you're going to use in your hateful post on Demonland regarding selection

I don't care about the time, what upsets me is the clubs are being dictated to by the AFL under the guise of gambling. It's not to protect punters, its to give the betting agencies extra information to help them suck money from people.

Why should clubs not get to tell a debutant and go public with that news on a Monday just to make sure no one gets the inside tip. If they do tell the debutant and then he tells his parents who then leak it somehow will that player get fined like Maxwell did, what a joke.

Bloody disgrace, Dumbitriou.......stuff the footy public once again just for a few bucks for your pocket.

That is how all commercial TV stations operate, not just ch. 7.

And with people watching free to air less they will become desperate for any advantage they can get. The amount of adverts in footy broadcasting from next season will be huge. We my not even see goal umpires signals anymore. Ch 7 will pull out all stops to regain the cash they spent. They only make money in september. The rest of the season they break even.

No it isn't.

Channel 9 and Channel 10 fought hard to show live games whenever they could, it was usually the AFL saying no. Channel 7 is the first case I've seen where the AFL has given the all-clear to play games live yet the station refuses to do so (for Better Homes & Gardens no less).

And cutting short the team song in the rooms after a GRAND FINAL to go to the news is ridiculous. Channel 7 is a different kind of mongrel to any other station in the country with regards to AFL.

No it isn't.

Channel 9 and Channel 10 fought hard to show live games whenever they could, it was usually the AFL saying no. Channel 7 is the first case I've seen where the AFL has given the all-clear to play games live yet the station refuses to do so (for Better Homes & Gardens no less).

And cutting short the team song in the rooms after a GRAND FINAL to go to the news is ridiculous. Channel 7 is a different kind of mongrel to any other station in the country with regards to AFL.

Talk to a Melbourne Storm supporter about how Ch 9 treated there fixture. They also cut out of the GF to go to the news. The amount of ads will always increase in the last Quarter as the audience will stick it out by then. I agree about Ch7 being Pricks on Friday nights but the facts are Better Homes rated so they could hold the footy back knowing the audience maybe pi$$ed off, but we would watch.

Next year will be very interesting.

Talk to a Melbourne Storm supporter about how Ch 9 treated there fixture. They also cut out of the GF to go to the news. The amount of ads will always increase in the last Quarter as the audience will stick it out by then. I agree about Ch7 being Pricks on Friday nights but the facts are Better Homes rated so they could hold the footy back knowing the audience maybe pi$$ed off, but we would watch.

Next year will be very interesting.

Am I talking about NRL?

Channel 7 is the pits when it comes to AFL coverage.

This isn't a debate, it's fact. And unfortunately we're stuck with it (not so much so for those with the Fox Sports package).

Edited by Deez Nutz

Am I talking about NRL?

Channel 7 is the pits when it comes to AFL coverage.

This isn't a debate, it's fact. And unfortunately we're stuck with it (except for those with the Fox Sports package).

Don't disagree with you DN. but the reality is Ch7 worked out they could make more money by delaying the AFL coverage. I don't like it either but AFL is sold for top coin.

The PRIMARY job of a commercial TV network is to sell advertising spots. In order for the public to watch these ads the networks buy programs they hope will be popular. With the huge amount they had to pay for AFL you can be sure it will be crammed with ads. Lets hope we get live on friday night for the full 5 years.

Edited by why you little