Ross Lyon: Integrity Questioned

Nascent

Demetriou commenting on anyones integrity is rather amusing. He presides over a business that practically has none.

Pot...kettle

Link?

And I've been made redundant and paid out in the past- it hurts and feels like a betrayal. Try telling Harvey his contract was honoured.

Integrity in football is diminishing. And bloody fast.

I want (if it hasn't happened already) the MFC to take a leaf out of Freo's book and go after MM by any means possible. Diplomacy is dead!

I am very surprised that you think it has not already happened.

It is MM just be patient till October 3rd.

Let's look at the facts here from each party's perspective.

Fremantle Board:

1. Were dissatisfied with Mark Harvey (rightly or wrongly) and were looking for alternatives to replace him.

2. Have contacted Ross Lyon personally, to avoid creating a conflict of interest with Craig Kelly.

3. Have succeeded in getting replacing a coach with the absolute minimum of disruption.

Ross Lyon:

1. Was in contact with Fremantle directly, to avoid creating a conflict of interest with Craig Kelly.

2. Has clearly weighed up his options and determined that the offer by Fremantle is in his best interests.

Craig Kelly:

1. Ross Lyon did you a favour mate. How could you be involved in that scenario. Don't be a tool.

Loyalty and trust is a 2-way street. I have no issue with what Ross Lyon has done. Look what happened to Mark Harvey, he was completely blind sided by the Fremantle Board. Who's to say that Ross shouldn't be concerned about his security at St Kilda? Half a bad season and you're out the door these days. It's [censored]. Ross Lyon has to look after Ross Lyon. There is no loyalty in football. The fact that this was played out completely discreetly and out of the prying eyes of the media should be commended. I feel sorry for Mark Harvey, but he receives his payout for the remainder of the contract. That's the life of a coach.

+ 1 WELL ALMOST

The only thing I feel Lyon should have done was advise Saints on Monday he was going to move on, no one would have been alerted to the Dockers job as at that stage there were only 3 clubs looking for a senior coach, the media frenzy would have went into "Lyon to Dees"

On the Tuesday or late Monday, Freo should have had the decency to sit Harvey down and tell him his contract was to be terminated. He has been a loyal servant to the club and they owed him that

The conflict of interest with CPE looking after both Harvey & Lyon was the difference in all of this, had MFC been involved it would have been different

Ross Lyon came across well in the press conference IMO., basically spelt it out

I asked Saints to negotiate in April which they declined and the first time they offered him a contract was on Wednesday.

Fremantle advised the press they first approached Lyon on September 4th and after that they had two meetings/discussions, so decision is made they were the first to approach him.

Once I advised the board I spoke with Reiwoldt on the phone and drove to Lenny Hayes place to tell them of my decision and reasons.

WA journalists have it pretty easy but he chewed them up today and spat them out

StKilda f.......ed up !!!

How suprising. No one to blame but themselves. The Sainters are in all sorts of poo now.

Watch them come apart at the seams...They will. . The club loves to blame someone.

StKilda f.......ed up !!!

How suprising. No one to blame but themselves. The Sainters are in all sorts of poo now.

Watch them come apart at the seams...They will. . The club loves to blame someone.

What I don't understand is why St. Kilda doesn't make Ross serve his 3 months notice. AFL is getting more and more ruthless, why not make life more difficult for Freemantle and set their pre-season back 3 months. If nothing else it says we will not tolerate being pushed around.

Edited by Nascent

What I don't understand is why St. Kilda doesn't make Ross serve his 3 months notice. AFL is getting more and more ruthless, why not make life more difficult for a Freemantle and set their pre-season back 3 months. If nothing else it says we will not tolerate being pushed around.

I was thinking the same thing!

AFL coaches clearly have the worst job in the world as far as job security goes. I find it refreshing that a coach has taken the iniative away from the club and extended his career in the process.

At first the only thing I think was a bit low was Lyon telling his management to continue negotiations with the Saints, to the extent that all his management thought all that was required was Lyons signature. All the time, he was negotiating with the Dockers behind their backs.

But then we know that "the board has full confidence in the coach" means they are preparing to move him on. Also, even though there is no factual evidence, it is widely held that Hird was already tied up at Essendon before they gave Knights the heave ho. It would not be unheard of for clubs to be feeling out coaches well in advance of showing the incumbent coach the door.

I guess Lyon has just got as down and dirty in his dealings with his club the same way as clubs get down and dirty in their dealings with their coaches.

Edit - the major difference is motivation - clubs deal dirty with coaches for "the betterment of the club". Lyon has dealt dirty with the club for Lyons benefit. Same dirty dealing , different motivations

Edited by nutbean

Ros Lyon was that secretive about this deal even his wife did not know until she heard it on the radio, the wife is from Sydney and i have been told she is not happy as she wanted to move back to Sydney where her parents are, also been told that Michael Gardiner's father was the go between. my source is from a close family friend.