Supporter numbers

Arthur Dent

Not sure if people saw this, but I was stunned when I looked at the graph. Puts into perspective the challenges faced by the commercial staff of the club when trying to sell sponsorship. I cant believe that according to this we have less supporters than even North Melbourne!

Supporter numbers

Not sure if people saw this, but I was stunned when I looked at the graph. Puts into perspective the challenges faced by the commercial staff of the club when trying to sell sponsorship. I cant believe that according to this we have less supporters than even North Melbourne!

Supporter numbers

just another Hun/Collingwood fluff story based on dubious statistics (minimal sampling). Toss in the intellectual giant Joffa and you have a banal story for the consumption of the mentally restricted underbody of society

Those numbers seem absolutely absurd, but in the event that they were somewhere close to being true, I'd think the 'commitment' of Melbourne supporters stacks up pretty well compared to Collingwood supporters. According to those figures, we have roughly 16% of the support as Colingwood but our membership is 50% of Collingwood's.

Research shows China is the best country in the world to live.

I researched where people lived and found more people live in China than any other country, therefore it must be the best place to live.

Note that I have shown the source of the research, in that I did it. This atrocious piece of journalism doesn't even mention if it was done by the AFL, an academic,Eddie, or the journalist themselves.

I would correlate that if it had been taken further the research would have found that the Chinese AFL team is the best supported in the world, closely followed by the India team.

(I saw both of them play at the recent International Cup,and well the standard is not quite up there at AFL level)

Edited by Flying Cloud

just another Hun/Collingwood fluff story based on dubious statistics (minimal sampling). Toss in the intellectual giant Joffa and you have a banal story for the consumption of the mentally restricted underbody of society

Love it, beautifully put. Been a while since I did statistics, so not sure what power such a sample has. Reputable research house though so I wonder. Anyway, even if it's mildly true I was pretty suprised to see just how many St Kilda and WB fans there are compared to us too.

Research shows China is the best country in the world to live.

I researched where people lived and found more people live in China than any other country, therefore it must be the best place to live.

Note that I have shown the source of the research, in that I did it. This atrociouspiece of journalism doesn't even mention if it was done by the AFL, an academic,Eddie, or the journalist themselves.

While there is some truth in it, I would correlate that if it had been takenfurther the research would have found that the Chinese AFL team is the bestsupported in the world, closely followed by the India team.

(I saw both of them play at the recent International Cup,and well the standard is not quite up there at AFL level)

It shows that it was done by Roy Morgan research and the sample was 7800 people

These numbers are more a reflection of the number of people who live in a geographically identifiable area than of actual supporters. This explains why Sydney has the largest number as you could ask any mug in the street there who doesn't really follow footy and they will say Sydney. Likewise if you surveyed Melbournians on the favourire NRL team they would most likely say the Strom even if they don't really follow it. Melbourne (the footy club) also lacks a geographically identfiable area / zone. Even North has a suburb called North Melbourne who's residents would show some sort of allegiance to them even if they don't follow footy much. Same would apply to Saints and Bulldogs. I think you will find Melbourne has the best conversion rate of 'supporters' to members in the league. The problem is that we don't have a massive pool of potential members based on geographic location so we have initiatives like Casey to try to rectify this.

These numbers are more a reflection of the number of people who live in a geographically identifiable area than of actual supporters. This explains why Sydney has the largest number as you could ask any mug in the street there who doesn't really follow footy and they will say Sydney. Likewise if you surveyed Melbournians on the favourire NRL team they would most likely say the Strom even if they don't really follow it. Melbourne (the footy club) also lacks a geographically identfiable area / zone. Even North has a suburb called North Melbourne who's residents would show some sort of allegiance to them even if they don't follow footy much. Same would apply to Saints and Bulldogs. I think you will find Melbourne has the best conversion rate of 'supporters' to members in the league. The problem is that we don't have a massive pool of potential members based on geographic location so we have initiatives like Casey to try to rectify this.

Anyway, it's quality, not quantity that matters if your a demons supporter

Until 1980 we were a sporting division of the MCC. I remember when 10 of our 12 committee members were elected by any MCC member who cared to vote ! Chairmen ( now called Presidents ) had to be approved by the MCC. Apalling management in particularly the 2 decades following the 1964 flag lost us a generation of potential new supporters. Our current membership of 37k , as an actual proportion of our total following, is actually remarkably high.......probably the best in the comp !!

Love it, beautifully put. Been a while since I did statistics, so not sure what power such a sample has. Reputable research house though so I wonder. Anyway, even if it's mildly true I was pretty suprised to see just how many St Kilda and WB fans there are compared to us too.

"Reputable research house" = oxymoron

A survey like this (if done correctly) would also show that there is more "loyalty" towards the teams that are performing well at the time. If they had of done the survey on how many of the games "supporters" have gone to in the last 10 years, not just 12 months, I believe the results would be quite different.

On another note, what is Joffa doing with all those kids? :/

Edited by WhateverItTakes

Guest Thomo

About 7 percent of Collingwood supporters buy a membership, compared to 23 percent of Melbourne supporters. What this shows is that 93 percent of Collingwood supporters have no interest in financially supporting the club. How does this make them the most loyal? If anything it shows the opposite. Or it could mean that they don't have jobs so they can't afford it.

About 7 percent of Collingwood supporters buy a membership, compared to 23 percent of Melbourne supporters. What this shows is that 93 percent of Collingwood supporters have no interest in financially supporting the club. How does this make them the most loyal? If anything it shows the opposite. Or it could mean that they don't have jobs so they can't afford it.

Not sure about the Hun article, and with the Hun, my advice is to stick to the pictures.

Having said that, Cam Schwab and others at the club have made the point for a long time that, for conversion of supporters to members, we fare amongst the very best.

Our challenge is to grow our supporter base. That is why Casey is an important endeavour, as is China (at least in principle!).

Those numbers seem absolutely absurd, but in the event that they were somewhere close to being true, I'd think the 'commitment' of Melbourne supporters stacks up pretty well compared to Collingwood supporters. According to those figures, we have roughly 16% of the support as Colingwood but our membership is 50% of Collingwood's.

I do not think they are, I know numerous Passionate Collingwood supporters who are not members.

e.g. my wife She is gave up her membership a couple of years ago because it was too hard to go.

i.e. games are always crowded, hard to get a reasonable seat, bad language, drunks, getting home from night games etc.

However she watches every game on TV, still buys scarfs, team photos etc.

In contrast the only MFC supporters I know are members ( well a couple who drop in and out )

The whole purpose of this info is to show that when you are selling AFl gear a store will know to order 100 Collingwood jumpers and 5 melbourne ones.

The Westpac Banks Knows 1 miilion supporters will notice that they are supporting their team

I think it is spot on.

How many non Member Melbourne members do you know?

Edited by old dee

I'd be happy to have 60,001 fans if 60,000 of them cared.

Slop survey but ask the Swans how much they're making out of their million fans, 950,000 of whom probably think Plugger is still palying.

It shows that it was done by Roy Morgan research and the sample was 7800 people

Yep thanks AD - missed the fine print, should have read the more carefully. Would be interested in the demographics, who paid etc. Often can influence the outcome. Even time of day they called can have a huge bearing on the result.

Yep thanks AD - missed the fine print, should have read the more carefully. Would be interested in the demographics, who paid etc. Often can influence the outcome. Even time of day they called can have a huge bearing on the result.

Why? Are you suggesting more Collingwood, and less Melbourne, supporters would answer their home phones at 2pm on a Tuesday?! :o

It is just a survey, I no,but I would hope there's more than 183000 of us around the country?