My Coaching strategy for 2012 and beyond

Jack7

If Mick Malthouse is unavailable to coach next year but is available in 2013,i think we should appoint Mark Neeld as head coach in 2012 with a view that Mick would coach from 2013 (Mick would take over in October 2012).In 2012,Mark Neeld would instill Mick's defensive structure & gameplan as well as a few of his own ideas.Mick & Mark would catch up on a weekly basis and there would be nothing to stop Mick from visiting training every now and again,even on a weekly basis for a "chat" to a friend.If Mick is not involved with the Pies next year as everybody says,but sits out for a year,well then he could visit the club as much as he wants.Mick always says the Mark Neeld is his no. 1 assistant and was involved in a lot of the Pies midfield and defensive strategy.I think Mark Neeld would be happy to be a head coach for 12 months as there's no guarantee he'll have a job at the Pies next year under Buckley,especially that Sanderson is going to the Pies.Mark Neeld is much more advanced than Todd Viney who wants to go back to his development role and doesn't have the passion that's needed for the top job.

I think this is a win-win for all concerned.

No way as part of us becoming a strong club, we no longer compromise. The Geelong loss was rock bottom and the sacking of Bailey was the line in the sand. I don't care who Mick is but the sub committee need to make the statement, that Mick you are either with us in 2012 or never

Hmmm interesting, but a few questions...

If you can't guarantee Malthouse this year... how can you be sure of securing him in 2013? (Circumstances change... hence the predicament Malthouse finds himself in now)

If you could perhaps make this occur, aren't you putting Neeld into exactly the same situation as Malthouse is in this year?

Ask yourself this, if you were going for the Senior Coach @ Melbourne, and they come back and say "Congratulations, you are the best candidate, how does 12 months sound? Cos we want to make a play for Mick in 2013."

I really believe that if Melb, the Dogs or Adelaide cannot secure Malthouse this year then you look past him to the next best available option. You cannot put the development of your club and players on hold for 12 months in the off chance that he could have a change of heart after 12 months... So go for the best coach and sign them up for three to five years... Any clubs without a coach going into 2013 would be looking at Malthouse no doubt, just as teams may have approached Roo's this year.

IF and obviously it's a Massive IF, you could bring about what you are talking about sure it would be great... Just cannot see anyone taking the job on for 12 months... Viney included (If Malthouse and Neeld agreed to it and were planning such a thing, man can you imagine Eddie's Face :lol: But it would be a pretty massive betrayal of the Pies and all your former colleagues.)

If Mick would like to coach every again - he must come to Garry Lyon (if he hasn't already) over the next few weeks and say (even through his people) 'I want to coach Melbourne in 2012.'

It is really in his court - he can coach again if he wants to - at Melbourne in 2012.

Or he can melt away into irrelevance - which is the path Eddie would prefer he take.

What is it, Mick?

You want to go out on Eddie's terms, or your own?

Edited by rpfc

If Mick would like to coach every again - he must come to Garry Lyon (if he hasn't already) over the next few weeks and say (even through his people) 'I want to coach Melbourne in 2012.'

It is really in his court - he can coach again if he wants to - at Melbourne in 2012.

Or he can melt away into irrelevance - which is the path Eddie would prefer he take.

What is it, Mick?

You want to go out on Eddie's terms, or your own?

I suspect this conversation has already taken place and the MFC coach selection process will meander to a "conclusion" just after the GF... when Mick becomes a Demon.

Uh, what?

You really think Neeld would be happy with that arrangement??

Uh,yes i do.

My above scenario is obviously that Neeld doesn't get the Bulldogs/Crows job,sorry i had to spell that one out to you! Sanderson will be Buckley's no. 1 man and Neeld could find himself out of a job.

Melbourne offers Neeld the Head Coaching job for 12 months with our list and you think he'll say no? A chance to show what he can do with other clubs watching his progress.You wouldn't rather 12 months as head coach over another 12 months as an assistant on your CV?

Strange!

Uh,yes i do.

My above scenario is obviously that Neeld doesn't get the Bulldogs/Crows job,sorry i had to spell that one out to you! Sanderson will be Buckley's no. 1 man and Neeld could find himself out of a job.

Melbourne offers Neeld the Head Coaching job for 12 months with our list and you think he'll say no? A chance to show what he can do with other clubs watching his progress.You wouldn't rather 12 months as head coach over another 12 months as an assistant on your CV?

Strange!

Not really.

If he doesn't have a good year and then Malthouse mysteriously takes over, it looks like we have had an interim, it looks like a young coach has not had any faith given to him, and what are the players thinking now with their coach suddenly not their coach.

It would be untenable and Neeld would leave, it might even be his only opportunity to coach a team.

It wouldn't be advisable from any party.

If Malthouse wants to coach again, he can come to Melbourne in around 6 weeks time, otherwise we can get Neeld - but he won't sign a one year contract...

Guest Gareth Keenan

Uh,yes i do.

Strange!

Really??

Collingwood is showing right now just how effective it is to place an expiration date on a coach well ahead of time.

You think Neeld or Malthouse would want to leave that uneasy situation to jump straight into another?

I don't think you've thought this through...

As part of us becoming a strong club, we no longer compromise. The Geelong loss was rock bottom and the sacking of Bailey was the line in the sand. I don't care who Mick is but the sub committee need to make the statement, that Mick you are either with us in 2012 or never

^^ This^^ We should never grovell...It is "Mick here is our deal for 2011 & onwards. Bring the assistants you need"

The Deal should be from 2011. Nothing else.

Nobody will ever succeed in this scenario by waiting. We should all know that by now.

We must get Malthouse whilst the iron is Hot. If at all.

By 2013 he may not wish to coach anything anymore.

Maybe Mick comes to Melbourne as Coaching Director with Todd Viney as Coach. That way he honours his 'commitment' and we are left with a good coaching panel. Mick stays in the game.

Malthouse will coach the Demons in 2012. (Neeld assistant if he does'nt coach Crows)

Cameron to the Bulldogs.

Neeld to the Crows...

Eade possibly at th Power in some role.

Can't we just pick a coach and get on with it? I'd love Malthouse but all these fantasies and conspiracies about what to do if we can't get him next year are a crock of the proverbial. If he's in he's in, otherwise move on, get somebody else and let's get on with things.

Maybe Mick comes to Melbourne as Coaching Director with Todd Viney as Coach. That way he honours his 'commitment' and we are left with a good coaching panel. Mick stays in the game.

If Mick Malthouse wanted to be coaching director, why would he leave collingwood? Isn't that the roll he dosen't want? :huh:

The head coaching job at MFC starts in 2012, take it or leave it......

I agree that if we do get Malthouse,it should be from 2012,but if it does happen from 2013 i don't want Viney coaching in 2012.He doesn't have the passion for the top job and we'd go backwards as we have this year.

I'm just saying Neeld would be far better for 1 season than Viney.

We have to have the coach that the club believes will take us into the finals, GF and premiership nailed done a week or two after the 2011 GF finishes, if not before. Any other option would set us back by more than a year.

If it's to be Mick, it's Mick in 2012 or never.

If Mick Malthouse is unavailable to coach next year but is available in 2013,i think we should appoint Mark Neeld as head coach in 2012 with a view that Mick would coach from 2013 (Mick would take over in October 2012).In 2012,Mark Neeld would instill Mick's defensive structure & gameplan as well as a few of his own ideas.Mick & Mark would catch up on a weekly basis and there would be nothing to stop Mick from visiting training every now and again,even on a weekly basis for a "chat" to a friend.If Mick is not involved with the Pies next year as everybody says,but sits out for a year,well then he could visit the club as much as he wants.Mick always says the Mark Neeld is his no. 1 assistant and was involved in a lot of the Pies midfield and defensive strategy.I think Mark Neeld would be happy to be a head coach for 12 months as there's no guarantee he'll have a job at the Pies next year under Buckley,especially that Sanderson is going to the Pies.Mark Neeld is much more advanced than Todd Viney who wants to go back to his development role and doesn't have the passion that's needed for the top job.

I think this is a win-win for all concerned.

Please advise when it was reported that Sanderson was definately going to Collingwood.

If Mick Malthouse wanted to be coaching director, why would he leave collingwood? Isn't that the roll he dosen't want? :huh:

The head coaching job at MFC starts in 2012, take it or leave it......

Agree