ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

Demonland

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we're seeing is the result of Bailey's coaching. A good coach can turn things around pretty quickly. Look at Essendon - a rabble last year and a team on the rise now. Today was a well drilled team vs a team in transition - who as a result are not a TEAM. A captain who misses 2 goals that he once would have aced. He should be dropped - captain or not. Sylvia selfishly going for goal and missing everything when he should have given off. The kids are getting games and when they're finally drilled with a decent game plan things should turn fairly quickly.

Are you serious?! If tonight showed one thing, it showed how important Sylvia is to this list.

The team played some good Football in parts tonight. We are just not mentally tough for 120 minutes.

Mental toughness that is not exuded from the leadership group.

We were playing Richmond so you'd expect us to be playing some good football.

I find it funny how everyone says about Richmond being useless, yet they just beat us and smashed the Swans last week. Mustn't be too bad. They did have a shizen middle of the season, but seem to have found some form, and at least they play with a bit of heart. I still hate them, but they weren't the rabble that some around here allude to.

Disappointing result because I was expecting to win today, a couple of key moments go our way and we win and get the 4 points. But alas, we didn't. The 4 points are meaningless in the overall scheme of things anyway.

It's never fun losing to Richmond, but they had more confidence coming into today and were lucky enough to be 7 points up when the siren went. It was a pretty even contest.

Annnnyway, I was hoping to at least see some positives that can be brought into 2012 and I think I got what I wanted.

Blease was really impressive, his kicking is excellent and his pace breath-taking. Was a long wait with this kid but I think he'll repay us in spades.

Bennell played a good game, great pace, ball use and went hard at the pill and the man. Well done JB.

Morton was good I thought. Although some will disagree. Ball use pretty good.

Once again our senior players let us down at crucial moments, in particular Davey who would have to be some chance of not being at MFC next year.

Chin up guys, a couple of soft wins to finish the year, a new coach to weed out the dead wood, and we may see big improvement in 2012. If Essendon can do it, then so can we.

As much I hate saying it, Essendon have far more resilience as a football club. It's going to take a greater effort to have us moving in the right direction again. All starting with the right coach and captain.

I agree Jaded.. a much much better performance by Sylvia. Can we posibly see this week in week out...or something akin to it before we pull back from the criticism. The baging hes had lately has been very much deserved. A Bouquet , not a Brickbat though today as that was a game at athe level we would have him play. I can only hope its one he want s to play at , not feels he needs to play at just to shut a few journos and supporters up.. Having said al that..whats with teh cheap shots Col...silly silly silly..stil lyou werent alone hey Aaron !!

There was a game of footy today. Cant say all the Dees tuyrned up switched on but they made a fist and got near. Goal kicking was marvellous really..just a few lsot opportunities.

Garland...take a bow.. Give teh job to Trengove now.. just hand him the cap Brad !!. Nathan..a good game.. keep going in that direction..dont stop now !!.

Still a bit all over the place.. but more a fair go . Stil lmiles to go. Still some clearing of deadwood and cloggers.

What can you say...it was somehting to build on. Thats a plus.

The need to stil kick some bums...thats a minus !! *sigh*

Some strange absentees really today.. I was ecpecting a cracker from JW.. not sure what really happened there

Richmond are a better side than us right now...that is the fact.

We've had the worst few weeks since...well, ever. But I still think we're at least level with Richmond. Scoreline reflects that. Big decisions didn't go our way today.

Green, Davey, Morton when will these guys ever show something.

Well done to Sylvia, but lets hope he can back it up at least against average opponents in the next 2 weeks.

The experience our young running defenders are gathering - Blease, Bennell, Tapscott, Strauss, Nicholson should really be useful, but we need to stick with these guys. We now need some young small forwards and to increase the midfield. McKenzie and Trengove can't do it all going forward.

I think Scully was very worried about his knee today. Sneaky suspicion we might not see him in the red and blue again.

Mostly a disappointing night, the game was there for us at two points: mid-way through the second and in the last. We got on top the second quarter but poor decision making and cheap goals hand them a good break. The coming into the last quarter I really felt we should've overrun them, but yet again we were our own worst enemies (how many times this year?!).

Probably the worst part is I'm not surprised, I thought we should win coming into the game but we've shown how mentally weak we are too many times this year. The clubs attitude needs a major overhaul into next year and it should start with our (non-existent) leaders who should be ashamed at some of the efforts dished up this year.

That said, I do feel there could be light at the end of this tunnel when I see the likes of Jodie Mac, Blease, and Watts.

As much I hate saying it, Essendon have far more resilience as a football club. It's going to take a greater effort to have us moving in the right direction again. All starting with the right coach and captain.

Yeah you're probably right, but rewind 12 months and Essendon were a very similar boat to what we find ourselves in now. 2010 was their 6th consecutive year out of the final 8, they had a rubbish gameplan with a rubbish coach and I'm sure a lot of their fans were wondering when things would ever look up.

12 months on and they will play finals. Probably won't do much, but Hird (as much as we hate to admit it) has got them back on the right track.

Edit: I forgot they made the 8 in 2009... but they may as well not have bothered with the way the Crows slaughtered them.

Edited by Sylvia Saint

We've had the worst few weeks since...well, ever. But I still think we're at least level with Richmond. Scoreline reflects that. Big decisions didn't go our way today.

Possibly, but 2012 is going to be crucial for this club....we need a commando style Pre season to change a culture....our first half today was pitiful compared to the 3rd Quarter.

Harsh. Disposed of it well and laid some important tackles. Doesn't have that natural instinct and needs to work on his awareness, but compared to last week it was chalk and cheese.

WOW. :blink: Doesn't 2011 just continue to be a DELIGHT!

It was a tight, claustrophobic, finals type game today (yes, I know.. a strangely pathetically skilled final) but we weren't up to it. Again.

I've noticed our 'skilled' players are the softest and our 'hard' players have the worst skills. Unlucky for us.

LOVED: (I'm not bothering with Sylvia, this should be the standard):

:- Blease today, great pace.

:- Garland was decisive and intense.

:- Jones is improving. Good fast disposal and kicks the goals.

YIKES:

:- Mckenzie's skills/decision making are a liability.

:- Scully. Hmmm. With that tiny frame, it's going to be 5 years before he has an appropriate body to play on the ball effectively. Goddamn he gets absolutely monstered in tackles... just crumples into a convenient sized ball.

:- I'm prepared to cut Davey some slack with his runs on the board... he's obviously not right, will come back next year and be great I suspect.

:- Howe...WTF.

:- Nice shots for goal,but JURRAH - STOP HANGING BACK AND ATTACK THE BALL!!!! What is with that!?!

:- Morton was ok until that handball straight to a Tiger....and He is SO BAD in the air. If there is a 50/50 contest, you know he's not going to win it. The Anti-Tingay effect. Leave please.

This isn't the bottom of the barrel. We can still lose to Port. It is a reality. Ohhhh God. :(

Well done to Sylvia, but lets hope he can back it up at least against average opponents in the next 2 weeks.

The experience our young running defenders are gathering - Blease, Bennell, Tapscott, Strauss, Nicholson should really be useful, but we need to stick with these guys. We now need some young small forwards and to increase the midfield. McKenzie and Trengove can't do it all going forward.

I think Scully was very worried about his knee today. Sneaky suspicion we might not see him in the red and blue again.

I watched him go down in the centre, looked seemingly innocuous but he was clearly hurt, clutching at his knee. Hobbled round for 20 secs and then limped to the bench. Did well to come back on but his impact was minimal. His knee must be a concern, either for MFC or GWS wherever he ends up!

Another disappointing day from Davey and Green when subbed on. If these 2 supposed leaders come to play today we win the game, simple as that. Extremely disappointing!

Davey was terrible today but he's been like that all year. He hasn't fired a shot at all this year and has been so disappointing considering he's a senior leader and one of the highest paid players at the club.

Watching him today it looks like he has lost his explosive pace. If he can't get that back then I'm afraid I can't see a place for him in the side. What does he bring to the side otherwise? Of course he is an elite kick but no use being a great kick if you can't get the footy. And without his speed he will continue to struggle to get the footy.

He has never been a player that can win inside ball (which is why he can easily get tagged out of the game) and if he doesn't have the pace to break away from opponents and find the loose ball in space then I don't think he has much to offer the team.

Edited by Scoop Junior

I thought we were pretty good today ....Some really good signs with Blease , Sylvia, even Morton showing something.

Is Brock Mclean, now quicker than Aaron Davey though?

Davey was terrible today but he's been like that all year. He hasn't fired a shot at all this year and has been so disappointing considering he's a senior leader and one of the highest paid players at the club.

Watching him today it looks like he has lost his explosive pace. If he can't get that back then I'm afraid I can't see a place for him in the side. What does he bring to the side otherwise? Of course he is an elite kick but no use being a great kick if you can't get the footy. And without his speed he will continue to struggle to get the footy.

He has never been a player that can win inside ball (which is why he can easily get tagged out of the game) and if he doesn't have the pace to break away from opponents and find the loose ball in space then I don't think he has much to offer the team.

Davey could really struggle next year....speed was always his ace....his body just may not be up to it again.

I hope Davey is playing injured, because if he isn't he is probably finished as an AFL player. He now offers absolutely nothing to the team.

I also think that we must play attacking players in the middle who can get the ball and give it off quickly. Playing two taggers and Beamer to a winning ruck is a joke and explains why they won the clearances and the game. The amount of times Jamar put it right down one of our player's throat, only to see a fumble and turnover, is heartbreaking for the rest of the team. We must have skill and desire for the ball in the middle, to get the clearance. We are far too negative with taggers.

I hate to say it but I could just feel we were going to be overrun. Nothing to do with ability; everything to do with character. There's no fight in the team. I really don't care about Blease or anyone else's silky skills. I liked Sylvia's shirtfront and Trengove getting into Martin. But let's be honest - Richmond have progressed and we haven't.