The No T$ No B$ Thread

Redleg

On 01/11/2023 at 08:37, Redleg said:

Their loss, it is the biggest, most posted, most read, longest lasting and best thread ever on DL, never causing a problem either and yet for some reason there is this desire to end it.

Football is discussed, yet it is put on a general discussion board.

It's the biggest load of bs, trivia and wasted time. 

Best thread ever.

Tx Mr Legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

Cleveland got a show.

Looked at the field and all the odds.

Shortest is $4.40 and the longest at around one fiffty$.

With a field of only 24, has any one worked out the permutations of backing every horse?

There's usually a long shot that gets a place.

Calling all DL math wizards.

17 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Looked at the field and all the odds.

Shortest is $4.40 and the longest at around one fiffty$.

With a field of only 24, has any one worked out the permutations of backing every horse?

There's usually a long shot that gets a place.

Calling all DL math wizards.

Put simply, if you put a dollar to win on every horse, you need a winner at 24 to 1 or better, to make a profit. 

I know someone who says she has backed the winner every year. She backs every horse in it.

Funny!

Edited by Redleg
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Put simply, if you put a dollar to win on every horse, you need a winner at 24 to 1 or better, to make a profit. 

I know someone who says she has backed the winner every year. She backs every horse in it.

Funny!

You will have three wins if you back each one for a place.( First is also considered a place, I think). Hopefully altogether they pay more than 24 dollars.

32 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Just flicking through Fox . There's a programme called " Dr Pimple Popper" !

Could someone please explain this to me in a way that doesn't make me feel more vomitus than I am at the moment.

it's a story about a beautiful princess who falls in love with a dashing banana ...

but i can't remember the rest of the story ... sorry

Anyone else watching the cricket? Angelo Mathews was just given for “timed out.”  I’ve never seen that before. He was more surprised than anyone.

Yeah the commentators just said it’s the first time this has happened in International Cricket.

It’s just not cricket! 🧐

Looks weird on the scorecard…

9794D576-F90C-40CA-9F71-A8927C1D9214.thumb.jpeg.ab18274f368b26381da5e1c15206fdde.jpeg

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Anyone else watching the cricket? Angelo Mathews was just given for “timed out.”  I’ve never seen that before. He was more surprised than anyone.

Yeah the commentators just said it’s the first time this has happened in International Cricket.

It’s just not cricket! 🧐

Looks weird on the scorecard…

9794D576-F90C-40CA-9F71-A8927C1D9214.thumb.jpeg.ab18274f368b26381da5e1c15206fdde.jpeg

Was that to do with the time it took to get out to the middle, after a wicket fell?

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Was that to do with the time it took to get out to the middle, after a wicket fell?

no. once out there he has 2 min to face a ball

he went well over, claiming his helmet strap was broken and needed a new one

umps, (influenced by the afl cartel) didn't buy it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Redleg said:

31 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

no. once out there he has 2 min to face a ball

he went well over, claiming his helmet strap was broken and needed a new one

umps, (influenced by the afl cartel) didn't buy it

No Daise, a batsman only has two minutes starting from the fall of the previous wicket to him facing up. Of course, you see it all the time where a batsman takes a bit longer than two minutes but it isn’t an issue. It’s up to the captain of the fielding side to make an appeal to the umpire, which is something I’ve never seen happen. There’s some bad blood between these two sides which is probably why Shakib appealed. The umpire had no choice but to give him out. 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

No Daise, a batsman only has two minutes starting from the fall of the previous wicket to him facing up. Of course, you see it all the time where a batsman takes a bit longer than two minutes but it isn’t an issue. It’s up to the captain of the fielding side to make an appeal to the umpire, which is something I’ve never seen happen. There’s some bad blood between these two sides which is probably why Shakib appealed. The umpire had no choice but to give him out. 

It’s actually 3 minutes.

But what’s a minute between friends?

Edited by Redleg
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Whatever it is , it's worse than getting out than handled ball or hit wicket. 

How do you explain it to your teammates. Oh wait you probably did while you were playing poker with them at the time.

I'm looking forward to the finals but I really think India already have it won. They have an exceptional bowling line up.

Edited by leave it to deever

20 hours ago, Redleg said:

Funny!

My tip is the French horse Absurde.

Edited by leave it to deever

13 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Just flicking through Fox . There's a programme called " Dr Pimple Popper" !

Could someone please explain this to me in a way that doesn't make me feel more vomitus than I am at the moment.

Still probably better than the slop they serve up from the good people at Netflix. New releases read like a list of Hollywood classics from the forties. It's now become a collection of b grade movies from Mongolia and 500$ "doco series" about mass murderers. The only people who this defunct streaming service appeals to these days are executive Producers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, layzie said:

Enjoy the races today peeps

It's okay, I'm not running.

32 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Still probably better than the slop they serve up from the good people at Netflix. New releases read like a list of Hollywood classics from the forties. It's now become a collection of b grade movies from Mongolia and 500$ "doco series" about mass murderers. The only people who this defunct streaming service appeals to these days are executive Producers. 

e0e23cfe-7ece-4e3c-a8df-b1833d0167a8_tex

For authentic, vintage rubbish you need TubiTV, but I'm pretty sure it'll install a virus that makes your washing smell funny and pokes holes in your flyscreen. I ended up there after seeing 'Bad Movie Bible' on youtube, which appears to be hosted by the unacknowledged offspring of Margaret & Dave from the movie show.

Ironically, 'Mystery Science Theatre 3000' is on Netflix.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Redleg said:

It’s actually 3 minutes.

But what’s a minute between friends?

It used to be three minutes. It’s now two.

A minute’s a long time if you only have two of them!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

It used to be three minutes. It’s now two.

A minute’s a long time if you only have two of them!

It was 2 minutes when I played club cricket back in the 70's and 80's and everyone was aware of the rule.

In those days, the club kit might only have allowed to have 2 batsmen padded up, so if a couple fell quickly it was a rush to get padded up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Whatever it is , it's worse than getting out than handled ball or hit wicket. 

How do you explain it to your teammates. Oh wait you probably did while you were playing poker with them at the time.

I'm looking forward to the finals but I really think India already have it won. They have an exceptional bowling line up.

I also can’t see anyone else winning it, Deeves. As you mention, their bowling stocks are chef’s kiss. Shami, Siraj and Bumrah are absolutely  formidable. Add that to their batting lineup (Shreyas, Shubman Gill and of course, King Kohli) and it’s easy to imagine they’ll take the championship out without dropping a single match.

I still believe we’re the only ones who can trouble them, though.

edit: Even without Hardik who was yesterday officially ruled out for the remainder of the tournament they’ll romp home.

Edited by WalkingCivilWar

6 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I also can’t see anyone else winning it, Deeves. As you mention, their bowling stocks are chef’s kiss. Shami, Siraj and Bumrah are absolutely  formidable. Add that to their batting lineup (Shreyas, Shubman Gill and of course, King Kohli) and it’s easy to imagine they’ll take the championship out without dropping a single match.

I still believe we’re the only ones who can trouble them, though. 

Sometimes not dropping a game builds ironic pressure.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

the punishment seems way out of whack with reason

there must be other penalties more appropriate, like x runs per minute late etc

I agree it’s a very harsh penalty. It was avoidable, too. I reckon it wouldn’t have happened had Mathews not been so cavalier. He should’ve talked to Shakib explaining the issue with his helmet, the strap on it was loose or whatever the reason, and in all likelihood Shakib wouldn’t have appealed to the umpire. That said, it is an unsavoury incident.