Ricky Bobby's Kicking

Wizza

Not sure if anyone else has noticed Ricky's kicking lately but it looks to me as though he's lost the capacity to kick long range.

In the last 3 rounds he looks to give it off if anywhere between 40-50m.

Just wondering thought?

Yep, he definitely struggles to kick 50. He's had a few shots at goal from 50 the last few weeks, and he can't make the distance. Usually seems to try to hard and either sprays it or gets too close to the man on the mark. He doesn't have the leg power to kick it that far. I'd like to see him recognise his flaw and try to pass it or at least put it at the top of the square next time. Otherwise we just end up with a rushed behind.

I've always thought his kicking action was technically unsound. Seems very jerky and tries to kick it too hard when the best kicking actions flow and look almost effortless.

It's a concern if a mid-sized forward can't kick a goal from 45 -50m out, no matter good a mark they are.

How about that kid McKenzie from GC? Can take marks up to 55 metres out and know he's still a good chance to hoof it through. Who has a weapon like that at Melbourne?

I've always thought his kicking action was technically unsound. Seems very jerky and tries to kick it too hard when the best kicking actions flow and look almost effortless.

It's a concern if a mid-sized forward can't kick a goal from 45 -50m out, no matter good a mark they are.

How about that kid McKenzie from GC? Can take marks up to 55 metres out and know he's still a good chance to hoof it through. Who has a weapon like that at Melbourne?

Bate and Dunn

Petterd's kicking has always been a concern. His technique is very ordinary, as he drops the ball from quite a height. It's almost Cameron Bruce-esque.

Because the ball is dropped from such a height, it has more time to rotate to a bad angle upon impact on the boot. This is why he kicks mongrels from further out. As you try to kick it further, naturally you enhance the flaws in your technique, so Ricky drops it from an even higher point when he goes for those long shots.

I'm sure he knows about these flaws and is working on them. I'm just glad to see him in the side kicking goals, and more importantly, providing forward pressure.

Petterd's kicking has always been a concern. His technique is very ordinary, as he drops the ball from quite a height. It's almost Cameron Bruce-esque.

Because the ball is dropped from such a height, it has more time to rotate to a bad angle upon impact on the boot. This is why he kicks mongrels from further out. As you try to kick it further, naturally you enhance the flaws in your technique, so Ricky drops it from an even higher point when he goes for those long shots.

I'm sure he knows about these flaws and is working on them. I'm just glad to see him in the side kicking goals, and more importantly, providing forward pressure.

Absolutely spot on, he basically kicks like a girl. He drops the ball with both hands at the same time onto his foot from about half way up his chest (rather than guiding it down towards the end). Since Bruce has gone he is basically the worst kick in our team and it's going to stop him being a very good player IMO. It's a real shame as his body work in a marking contest is good and he seems to have really good strength through his hips/core.

Absolutely spot on, he basically kicks like a girl. He drops the ball with both hands at the same time onto his foot from about half way up his chest (rather than guiding it down towards the end). Since Bruce has gone he is basically the worst kick in our team and it's going to stop him being a very good player IMO. It's a real shame as his body work in a marking contest is good and he seems to have really good strength through his hips/core.

I don't think I agree with you.

This year Jurrah has that mantle for mine.

His accuracy has dropped substantially since last year.

Good kicking by Jarrah last friday night would have kept us in the battle.

We could have been close to the Dogs at half time if he had kicked well.

I don't think I agree with you.

This year Jurrah has that mantle for mine.

His accuracy has dropped substantially since last year.

Good kicking by Jarrah last friday night would have kept us in the battle.

We could have been close to the Dogs at half time if he had kicked well.

Yeah I agree - I've totally lost faith in Jurrah's goal kicking now... I'm still bitter about the 'goal of the year' that he missed too.

Unless he can dodge and bounce his way to the goal square he is no sure thing. A bit like Jamar. Actually Jamar is no sure thing from in the goal square either.

Jurrah and Ricky just need to get their confidence back - I'm positive both their actions would work if they stop thinking about it so much. They've been kicking a footy their whole lives, their bodies know how to do it!

I agree he is not a very good kick, and he only seems to be accurate , when the team is on "roll",and has the momentum.

Drops the ball from too high.

I know the Club is working on the issue with him.

Yep, noticed that. I think it was a kick on the buzzer that didn't go close that really sparked it for me.

Perhaps he needs to get FARKed?

The kick on the buzzer was after an awesome chase that he never gave up on, started in the forward pocket and ended near half back, it's a shame he ended up with it after the turn over, was no chance.

But his kicking action is horrible. I once called him the worst straight kick I've ever seen. Now they're not going straight he's just a terrible kick.

Surely a new action needs to be drilled into him, will be a very good player if he can correct it.

The kick on the buzzer was after an awesome chase that he never gave up on, started in the forward pocket and ended near half back, it's a shame he ended up with it after the turn over, was no chance.

But his kicking action is horrible. I once called him the worst straight kick I've ever seen. Now they're not going straight he's just a terrible kick.

Surely a new action needs to be drilled into him, will be a very good player if he can correct it.

He's been one of our best in the last fortnight. I agree, bit of work into his kicking and there will be very noticeable improvement

Tappy - would like to see him play half forward for a few though his kicking is obviously pretty important coming out of the back 50.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed Ricky's kicking lately but it looks to me as though he's lost the capacity to kick long range.

In the last 3 rounds he looks to give it off if anywhere between 40-50m.

Just wondering thought?

I've noticed also. Go back to the beginning of last season and I recall him banging through goals from beyond the arc with ease. I reacall I great goal from 50 + in the 1 point loss to the pies. I wonder what's up with Ricky, still a great player but.

Usually can float them through from 50 so I'm not sure whats up with that. His field kicking is ugly but usually not horrible. He'll never be a great kick but can still make it as a very good player. It's probably the reason he plays half forward and not half back.

Who has a weapon like that at Melbourne?

Apparently the ginger kid Cameron Johnston on the rookie list kicks 60m+ "effortlessly"... Long way off playing though, he's only a little fella.

Brent Moloney perhaps?

Back on topic, on Petterd's kicking, as others have already mentioned, it has always been a weakness IMO. IIRC even as a junior, disposal by foot was his biggest pre draft question mark. I even remember one of his first set shots in AFL footy, back in 07 or 08. Excited to see how the youngster would go, he proceeded to kick the ugliest mongrel helicopter punt i'd ever seen, that didn't even make the distance from about 45m. It was embarrassing! Over his career he's shown that occassionally he'll kick it well, and even have some good kicking days, but generally has more shockers than good ones. And that's for both set shot and field kicking. Unfortunately at times this year it's pretty much been Godfrey-esque and i have less and less faith that the ball will end up hitting it's desired target when he has it.

But i don't think all is lost for Ricky Bobby's kicking just yet, at least at goal. He could still improve dramatically in a short space of time; it's happened before, Robbo back in the early-mid 2000's went from a poor set shot to an exceptional set shot pretty much in the space of one season (from 2004 to 05). Although his field kicking was a lot better than Rick's, his early set-shot kicking was horrible, were very similar to how Ricky kicks. High ball drop, prone to helicopters, swings the ball from right to left a lot, inability to hit 50m on a consistent basis, etc. Robbo went onto become our most reliable kick (along with Green) from 2005 onwards, with a perfect set-shot technique, which he credited to long hours of set-shot repitition during the 2005 preseason.

I really hope Rick can turn it around Robbo style, because if he could just polish his kicking up that little bit, he's got real talent to burn and could become an absolute weapon.

Look at the way Travis Cloke kicks it these days with his much publicised 'crowd noise' training routine. He was one of the worst kicks i'd ever seen. Shows that improvement is possible, it just takes a lot of hard work.

Edited by Doggo

The problem is that he drops the ball too close to his body. So to get the required timing he needs to drop it from higher than he should.

This has a 2 pronged negative effect in that the ball travels through the air unassisted for too long (higher chance of the ball drifting off axis on the way to the boot) and also that his leg arc is not contacting the ball in the optimum zone for penetration. It's like a golfer placing the ball too close to the feet on a drive and being unable to release at contact with a locked left arm (right hander) and thus not being able to compress the ball properly on impact (unless the club is jammed down on the ball resulting in a squeezed shot either high right or straight but short)

If he dropped the ball further from the body he would naturally lower the height of the ball drop to achieve the timing required to contact the ball in the optimal strike zone, this would result in more penetration as the ball is now struck from a completed arc and not a premature And manipulated one( as in the golfer scenario)

The best kicks in the game all drop the ball low and as far from the body as they can before the drop would essentially become a throw. It's hard to master but It can be taught, and we have seen it before at the MFC. I can clearly remember Russel Robertson being horrible from a set shot for the exact reason Ricky Bobby is struggling at the moment. In one preseason he remedied it adding 10 meters to his kick and thus his accuracy improved because he was never searching for distance anywhere inside the 50. As a result he became a far bigger asset to our club (even became a B&F winner) and no doubt earned himself a lot more money by simply spending time on a very basic and proven technique that the modern AFL player places far to little emphasis on.

Edited by Clay Sampson