Standard of Umpiring v Bulldogs

Dusty_Hill

Was the umpiring standard acceptable WB v MEL  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

Earlier in the game when it was in the balance there were a couple of howling umpiring decisions that went against us and cost us goals, unfortunatly that trend continued into night. For heavens sake Trengove can stand his ground whilst someone jumps way too early over him? Apparently not. I don't know what can be done to fix the total lack of standard in umpires today. Anyone got any ideas?

Well done to the young Melbourne team for fighting back even when they had the umpires against them. Showed character, unfortunatly the game was not with us tonight.

As an aside, rather than start a new topic, what is with bombing the ball into our forward line all evening especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I think when we have looked best we have held the ball up and waited for an option to open up rather than bombing it in. It reminded me of the bad old days where the plan was just bomb it in! Unfortunatly I don't think we will get 10-12 of Petterd's mark every game to make that strategy work!

Dusty

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Dusty, but although you are correct in saying some of the umpiring was abysmal tonight, to say the team showed character etc etc misses the mark for me. Sick of the inconsistency in intensity being shown one week to the next by this team. As soon as a team doesnt let us have it all our own way we crumble.

To be fair the Trengove free was probably there. On the reply his eyes were back watching the bulldogs player and he put his arm/shoulder in the way with intent to block, but there were plenty of other decisions which were rubbish.

I can at least say that the love children of Scott McLaren and 'Razor' Ray Chamberlain have been discovered by the public on this Friday night, welcomed to the football world by chants of 'you are a [censored].'

Congratulations on losing one of your jobs, McChamberlain twins.

Guest 36DD

Can't complain at the Trengove shepherding one, we were the beneficiary of exactly the same decision last week, Newman had one paid against him in the first quarter and resulted in a goal to Watts.

After the game, some of my Richmond mates were whinging about how crap the umpires were, I thought it were pathetic and they were clutching at straws. Tonight, the umpires didn't beat us and no way contributed to the Bulldogs victory. The Bulldogs got the frees because that had more of an appetite for the contest, the game was over in the first five minutes. Melbourne simply didn't come to play, they should all hang their heads in shame, they let down the club badly tonight.

The decisions of those yellow maggots had us behind the 8 ball for the better part of the night

If there called against us call it against them ..... Utter joke. You can't deny when decisions continually go against you it's hard to keep your head up. From my count the umpires contributed directly to 5 goals for the dogs. The trenners one probably there, but exactly the same thing happened to a kick out of our defense when watts got blocked. Donuts ! Poor umpires can be tolerated as long as it goes both ways. Was just one of those nights tonight, after the 50 meter against rivers (which was the biggest load of [censored] I've seen) our spines broke and we didn't give a whelp. Disappointing dees I thought you could knock off the dogs

Was just one of those nights tonight, after the 50 meter against rivers (which was the biggest load of [censored] I've seen) our spines broke and we didn't give a whelp.

Emailing the Giesch about that one.

Was clearly a push in the back, turns into holding the ball (with no prior, mind you) and a 50.

Of course I'm going to get 'no attempt to dispose, no push in the back' or some other bull...

re: Rivers' 50

The umpire chose to slap Rivers on the wrist for questioning him but there was barely any delay whatsoever. So, to make his point, the umpire pays a 50m and gifts a goal to the dogs. In any other sport, the umpire would have told him to hurry up and shut up and got on with things. In our game, the umpire feels so insecure in their authority they feel the need to pay a 50. Bad.

Umpiring was rubbish all night. Only thing worse was our team.

I thought the umpiring was of a very low standard tonight. I didn't think the footy was much better either. They say that the fans love these open free flowing games but to be honest, it bores the hell out of me. The lack of defensive pressure around the ball from both teams, made the contest boring, for mine.

The umpire chose to slap Rivers on the wrist for questioning him but there was barely any delay whatsoever. So, to make his point, the umpire pays a 50m and gifts a goal to the dogs. In any other sport, the umpire would have told him to hurry up and shut up and got on with things. In our game, the umpire feels so insecure in their authority they feel the need to pay a 50. Bad.

The 50 against garland was just as bad! Firstly the ump was not in th position to deem garland pushed him late. Secondly he didn't push him at all and thirdly I hate umpires that pay decisions on crowd reaction! Umpire if u didn't see it don't pay decisions on emotion!!!!

Guest 36DD

Have a look at Ray Chamberlain, do you think he may be trying to over-compensate for something???

No32, Mollison, knew we were farked when we got him 2night, he was shocking against the pies. Funny just did a search to find his name on google using AFL Umpire 32 and funnily enough the dockers forum have been moaning about him as well.

Yeah they were a pack of flogs tonight, but the Trengove one was there, paid against Newman last week.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

How can you shepherd someone from a marking contest when you are holding position. It's the worst free kick I've ever seen. It should have been a free kick to us for an unrealistic attempt to mark.

That the player turns and uses their eyes (an important organ in the visual process) has no baring on the free kick. The eyes can provide a clue to umpires in a marking contest when a player is spoiled/taken out, but have minimal baring on this decision.

Loved how Trenners got a free for holding the ball with a virtual carbon copy of his Dangerfield tackle, except for the bit where Dangerfield goes floppy and throws his head back on the ground.

exactly what a joke , one gets a free for a good tackle the other 3 weeks on the sidelines.

Have a look at Ray Chamberlain, do you think he may be trying to over-compensate for something???

No32, Mollison, knew we were farked when we got him 2night, he was shocking against the pies. Funny just did a search to find his name on google using AFL Umpire 32 and funnily enough the dockers forum have been moaning about him as well.

Took over Goldspink's old number. Pretty much sums up that he umpires for the ego.

Still not the worst in the league. Ray has the worst personality but isn't a shocking umpiring (but gee he pisses everyone off). The bald guy is actually the worst. Just plain incompetent.

Really surprised people have the view that the Trengove free kick was there.

The ball landed right where Trengove was standing, is he not allowed to hold his ground? If the Bulldog layer didn't barrel into him he may have been able to take the mark.

The Trengove decision was probably there, but Higgins launched himself so early at the contest it could have easily been paid against him.

The Bulldogs were the better team on the night, but there's nothing more frustrating that grinding out a couple of hard fought goals and having them immediately cancelled out by a cheap free kick. The Rivers decision killed the game.

Guest 36DD

Really surprised people have the view that the Trengove free kick was there.

The ball landed right where Trengove was standing, is he not allowed to hold his ground? If the Bulldog layer didn't barrel into him he may have been able to take the mark.

Mate not saying I agree with it, you are right Trengove was definitely closer to the ball than Newman was, however, that must be how the muppets are interpreting it, and once the geisch has been unleashed, what hope have you got?

First up, there's no way we deserved to win tonight, and I won't buy it that the umps changed the game enough to have lost it for us. But, they were absolutely terrible, and the thing that makes it worse is that if it weren't for the useless umps last year, we would have beat the Dogs, instead of losing by 4. That's what killed me the most about them tonight. It brought back a memory which I thought I had successfully suppressed, for the good of all mankind. The state I was in after that game last year defied belief. Those BS 50's were absolute rubbish. I can wear Trenners one though, as it is virtually the same as the one that got Watts a free I50 last week. That said, he didn't move back at all and only stood his ground.

Edited by Kento80

Trenners was NOT the same as the Watts free last week. The ball was going to fall on Trenners' head. He turned his eyes to see what was coming. He held his position. He had seconds left until he had to raise his arms to mark. The Bulldogs player hit the ground before the ball arrived. Watts last week had his run completely impeded and his timing, as you'd expect, was right on. He was on his way to taking a monster of a mark over another player whose mate got in the way deliberately. Tell me, who was Jack shepherding for?! Does he really strike everyone here as the kind of player afraid to go for a mark above his head?!

The way the game is umpired has so drastically altered the spectator experience it's a little sad. We spend the entire game screaming, "Ball", "Man", "In the back", "Deliberate"...like beggars. And then, come each finals series, the umpires stop the begging game and just do things reasonably. Makes me angry. A sport should get better over time but I don't enjoy it as much now.

Mate not saying I agree with it, you are right Trengove was definitely closer to the ball than Newman was, however, that must be how the muppets are interpreting it, and once the geisch has been unleashed, what hope have you got?

very true