For those who can remember back this far

Bobby McKenzie

Watching Colin Sylvia dash out of the pack, straighten up and kick perfectly reminded me so much of the great Laurie Mithen in our golden era. His skills, marking reminded me so much of Laurie. What do you think Maurie?

Some other comparisons with the Golden era guys.

Ron Barassi - Jordie McKenzie for his fierce, Barassi like tackling, determination and work rate. Also, Stefan Martin. Why? Because Barass couldn't get a game until he became a ruck rover while Stefan was struggling until forced to be our acting number one ruckman. Look at him now.

John Beckwith - Colin Garland, so cool and reliable.

Bob Mckenzie - Aaron Davey with his blistering speed and goal kicking. The early edition of Davey. He was averaging 2 goals a game like McKenzie when he played as a forward which is where he has to be.

Noel McMahen - Luke Tapscott he charges through like McMahen who was fearsome.

Robbie Flower -( Sadly not in a golden era but has to be included here.) Maybe Jack Trengove could be closest here. I think Stephen Hill of Freo is very much in the mould of Robbie.

Stuart Spencer - Tom Scully with his ball getting and long left foot kicking. Not as long as Spencer's lovely drop kicking though.

Don Williams - Stefan Martin again. His athleticism reminds me a bit of Donny. Leaping, twisting, weaving etc etc.

Frank 'Bluey Adams - A smokey here since he hasn't had a game yet but Sam Blease could be the match. At least he's got the red hair and the speed.

Enough of nostalgia but the last two weeks have given me heart that we are about to take on the football world in a big way. I guess when we have a near full strength team and so many promising kids it helps a lot. Anyway, I would be interested in feedback from the posters of my era.. Even the young ones could ask their dad or even their GRANDDAD!!

I love being my age (21) but it's times like this (discussing Melbourne's good old days) that makes me wish I was older.

Yes, I was lucky. When I was 21, I had 4 Demon premierships under my belt. Would you believe, but when I was at school my jealous schoolmates branded me a 'Premiership barracker'. That wasn't a problem for you was it. Not a bad problem though. Most of the kids at Frankston primary school followed Essendon because they wore the same jumpers as Frankston in the Mornington Peninsula league. I thank my dad for letting me be different. BTW don't wish your life away. Your turn is coming. Soon I hope.

Yes, I was lucky. When I was 21, I had 4 Demon premierships under my belt. Would you believe, but when I was at school my jealous schoolmates branded me a 'Premiership barracker'. That wasn't a problem for you was it. Not a bad problem though. Most of the kids at Frankston primary school followed Essendon because they wore the same jumpers as Frankston in the Mornington Peninsula league. I thank my dad for letting me be different. BTW don't wish your life away. Your turn is coming. Soon I hope.

Hope your right BM, I have been waiting over 4 and a half decades to date.

I envy the success you have already seen in your lifetime

I love your list comparisions however I am of a vintage that can recall Robbie Flower only.

TU - I was 23 before I saw our great team even play in a Final.

I spent yesterday arvo @ The G with 5 Tiger mates, they where all over me early but what a sweet day it soon became.

They where laughing at our team when flashed on the scoreboard before the bounce.

The payout on Jack Watts was massive, but didn't he silence them all day. 3/4 time goal was GOLD

They didnt have a clue who half the team was, they wont forget Nicholson, Frawley, Garland,

McKenzie & Howe ever again.

In fact they had never seen Scully play either & didnt rate him.

Bring on the rest of 2011 & beyond, this ride is taking shape @ long last.

Edited by Old Man Rivers

"They say the darkest hour is right before the Dawn"

Bob Dylan (from the Blood on the Tracks Album)

Our Golden age is now rolling...it is small now but strong & growing as it rolls, picking up wisdom & experience.

It was a great sign yesterday in that first Q

In the first 10 minutes Richmond 2.4.16 to NIL. 6 shots before the ball touched our 50 M line.

at 1/4 time we had switched on and kicked 7.

We were lucky Richmond were inaccurate, yes. But in years gone by they would have buried us.

That first Q will be a great Training video on monday morning.

I'll have a go at comparisons

Trengove - Hassa Mann (deft touch, versatile, captain material, mercurial)

Moloney - Barassi (yes, I know, he's in a league of his own! Think build and passion)

Rivers - Ingerson (the rock)

Davey - Alves (twinkle toes, lightweight but exceptional foot skills, elusive)

Jones - Viney (not always polished but an inside tank)

Frawley - Sean Wight (athletic, fearless, excitement machine)

Just a little food for thought... don't over-react!

Moloney - Barassi (yes, I know, he's in a league of his own! Think build and passion)

Love your comparisons from a later era than mine. I really agree with all of them. Did you have one for Robbie Flower? I had trouble with him. Hard to compare.

I'm only old enough to remember from the Northey era onwards so will have a go at players from that era;

Watts - Gerry Lyon in that he shows the ability to play forward, mid or back as required and his ability to handle the ball particularly in traffic is second to none

LJ - The great Jakovich has the ability to do the freakiest of things and then make the simple look difficult. Also similarities in that their defensive game could be seen as a weakness

Chip - Danny Hughes can match it with most key forwards in the league and has the ability to be a strong rebound from defence

Stef Martin - Jimmy Stynes both were late comers to the game and had to learn on the job - this year Martin has showns signs of Stynes' ability to play almost as another midfielder by racking up disposals around the ground as well as providing first use in the ruck

Wonna - Ricky Jackson little forward pocket crumber who can go missing for long periods but can bob up with a few goals a game every now and then

Morton - Steven Stretch lightly built winger who seems to have the ability and run when in full flight but questions continue about his commitment to the contest

Bate - The Duke Earl Spalding comparison due to both of their uncoordinated demeanour yet ability to snag goals when on song

Tapscott - Balls Grinter due to both of them having a "competitive" streak

Viney - Jones/McKenzie all hard as nails midfielders with questionable kicking at times

Feel free to pick these apart as you see fit - I was only a little tacker in the Northey days so my memory may be cloudy. Others that also come to mind are S Febey/Grimes, Wilson/Moloney, Johnson/Bartram, Yeats/Gysberts & B Lovett/Trengove. Obviously some will be better players than their counterparts but hopefully that will lead to greater success than we had during that era.

Edited by Demonic Ascent

Stanley Alves (no. 15) for those too young too remember!!! is a great comparison to Aaron Davey...Great call.

Stan was not as good, but moved similiar to R Flower...Wing Men of the day i suppose.

I wish we had Danny Hughes playing for us right now....His Kick ins from Full Back were magnificent.

It was not uncomman for Hughesy to kick from the Full Back line to almost the centre circle, accurately.

Today he would just By Pass any "press" the opposition presented!!!

His Battles with Brian Taylor were folklore!

I'm only old enough to remember from the Northey era onwards so will have a go at players from that era;

Watts - Gerry Lyon in that he shows the ability to play forward, mid or back as required and his ability to handle the ball particularly in traffic is second to none

LJ - The great Jakovich has the ability to do the freakiest of things and then make the simple look difficult. Also similarities in that their defensive game could be seen as a weakness

Chip - Danny Hughes can match it with most key forwards in the league and has the ability to be a strong rebound from defence

Stef Martin - Jimmy Stynes both were late comers to the game and had to learn on the job - this year Martin has showns signs of Stynes' ability to play almost as another midfielder by racking up disposals around the ground as well as providing first use in the ruck

Wonna - Ricky Jackson little forward pocket crumber who can go missing for long periods but can bob up with a few goals a game every now and then

Morton - Steven Stretch lightly built winger who seems to have the ability and run when in full flight but questions continue about his commitment to the contest

Bate - The Duke Earl Spalding comparison due to both of their uncoordinated demeanour yet ability to snag goals when on song

Tapscott - Balls Grinter due to both of them having a "competitive" streak

Viney - Jones both hard as nails midfielders with questionable kicking at times

Feel free to pick these apart as you see fit - I was only a little tacker in the Northey days so my memory may be cloudy. Others that also come to mind are S Febey/Grimes, Yeats/Gysberts & B Lovett/Trengove. Obviously some will be better players than their counterparts but hopefully that will lead to greater success than we had during that era.

Steven Stretch was miles ahead of Morton, stretchy was often flattened after he kicked in those days.

His Committment is questioned because of one incident during a very DARK 1988 day when none of the side played well

Steven Stretch was a magnificent kick, as was Warren Dean who sadly was cruelled by injuries.

Earl Spalding was a champion compared to the Master Bate, I really hope Matty gets one more crack at this side, but his time is running thin.

Ricky Jackson worked a lot harder than Wonna has....(so far) Jackson was a very under rated player outside Melbourne..

The Rest of your comparisons i agree with absolutely...

I think this crop are nearly better than the old Northey mob . Cant remember Gerry Lyon but I'm sure he wasn't as good as Gary .

Tassie Johnson could hit the centre circle with a drop-kick. Bernie Massey wasn't bad either!

Really?? I just missed seeing Tassie play....My Dad speaks of him and Hassa Mann in glowing terms.

Thanks for that info, it is so sad our glory years are not on DVD.

My grandma used to tell me about Bluey Adams , "out of bounds" Beckwith ,Barrass ,Ridley ,Dixon etc but even compared to Nothey era ,and the Golden era ,these guys have the potential to do anything.

It is my humble opinion that (no. 4?) John Lord deserves a mention in this honorable company.

And Jack Watts could be his equivalent as a rock-hard center half forward - capable of kicking truly from 65 yards out (not that the MCG was marked in those days but I've seen it).

Thanks for the rememberings.

And a further honorable mention (if I may) for Neil Crompton,the back pocket player thrown forward of centre by Norm Smith after the evil Ray Gabelich had caused the forces of Darkness to bray in triumph (see "Lord of The Rings") and who kicked the snap goal with seconds remaining and without whose effort we would not be able to say that we had won a Flag as recently as 1964.