Tom Scully

Rogue

I stand corrected on the earlier rhetoric. Only a massive fail if signs. Which I don't think he will.

More recently, his responses have been much cooler ...

http://www.news.com.au/melbournes-tom-scully-plays-it-cool-on-where-his-future-lies/story-e6frf9jf-1226078103193

Edited by Range Rover

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected on the rhetoric. Only a massive fail if signs. Which I don't think he will.

You were casting aspersions on Tom's character once again by questioning his loyalty based on his words.

You were

Wrong to do it, and just plain wrong.

You were casting aspersions on Tom's character once again by questioning his loyalty based on his words.

You were

Wrong to do it, and just plain wrong.

No-one is casting aspersions you tool.

You believe what you want and I'll do the same.

I stand corrected on the earlier rhetoric. Only a massive fail if signs. Which I don't think he will.

http://www.news.com.au/melbournes-tom-scully-plays-it-cool-on-where-his-future-lies/story-e6frf9jf-1226078103193

That article only serves to reinforce everything I have thought about Scully... he is an extremely focused and dedicated footballer who is putting his club's performance ahead of all else. The only reason that article you cite is given the by-line including the words "plays it cool" is because he didn't the press anything new and treated them with what was essentially, disdain (and rightly so).

I have the feeling he will re-sign and I also believe that he is 100% within his rights not to sign until his current contract has run its course. He, unlike many on here, at least understands that he is going to be in a much better bargaining position in October than if he signs a new contract now, or even makes a public statement to the effect that he will be re-signing. I believe he wants to stay with the club (or rather, that he doesn't want to go to GWS) and that he wants to secure himself the best possible deal.

Tom Scully is exactly what we need at the club; a player who lets nothing distract him from his immediate task.

And since the Trengove article, Trenners has gone completely silent. A worrying sign.....(not).

With a new article being written every five minutes about Scully there will be continual speculation and analysis over every word uttered.

The major difference between the two is one is out of contract the end of this year and the other not until next year so the spotlight is not on Jack Trengove.

I am not as bullish as RPFC ( I have no idea if he will stay or not - like BB59, I think way too logically and my head says go but my guts says stay) but I wont jump at shadows either. Each year players will need contracts renewed and some will be renegotiated at the end of the season. Now with free agency on the horizon I believe more players will be waiting until seasons end as the restrictions to move clubs will ease significantly.

My attitude is

1/ Dont believe everything you read in the papers or on supporter sites ( in fact dont believe anything). There are so many forces at play - media, player managers, clubs and hysterical supporters and so many games played - that I have adopted a "listen to what the people who are directly involved are saying" policy and take that on face value ( even that can be dangerous - the article on Trengove is a perfect example - where on earth does he say I want to be a demon life ?)

2/ I believe this is the best administration at the club I have witnessed since I have been following my Dee's and they will act professionally and leave no stone unturned to keep our best talent.

3/ I will worry about things the club can control. Scully has said end of the season so thats what it will be - I will worry then. I believe the club is not sitting back doing nothing now - I truly believe it is working behind the scenes to make every effort to get Scully recontractd. good enough for me

No-one is casting aspersions you tool.

You believe what you want and I'll do the same.

You are extolling the virtues of one of our players (Trengove) by backhanding another (Scully).

Not only is that poor form, it was just plain wrong.

Tom has said he wants to be a one club player, just as Jack.

Care to make it interesting rpfc?

How about this ... If he signs I'll delete my account and never post here again.

If he goes to GWS ... you do the same.

C'mon, let's see if you really do believe ...

I think we both like this forum too much to do that, surely?

I think you are smart guy, RR, but if you are going to get antsy after someone pulls you up on what you just wrote - you need a thicker skin.

If he stays, I will be happy Dees supporter - like you.

If he goes, I will be disappointed but still a Dees supporter - like you.

It isnt a massive fail if he signs or re-signs.

My only problem with your current line of thought is not your opinion on whether he goes or stays but lining up two articles which not only have the benefit of one of the interviewees contract is NOT up for renewel this year (therefore no heat on Trengove) but suggesting that articles shows that Trenners has shown some loyalty that is missing with Tom Scully. Tom Scully has said the he would like to be a one club player and envisages that happening. Trenners said the same.

Whether both of them or neither them re-sign is not the issue - comparing articles and then interpreting the articles the way you have is.

I think we both like this forum too much to do that, surely?

I think you are smart guy, RR, but if you are going to get antsy after someone pulls you up on what you just wrote - you need a thicker skin.

If he stays, I will be happy Dees supporter - like you.

If he goes, I will be disappointed but still a Dees supporter - like you.

Oh, well ... you're accusing me of casting aspersions on someone's character. I'm not. I just believe what I believe.

I admitted my error re his earlier comments in March or whenever it was. Comments I've heard more recently, as well as opinions from key people, have dissuaded me.

My point is, I'm happy to be pointed out an error. Not happy to be told I am besmirching a player's character. Long bow there rpfc.

I think I need to ban myself from this thread because it does touch a nerve with me, all of the issues associated with GW$.

Oh, well ... you're accusing me of casting aspersions on someone's character. I'm not. I just believe what I believe.

I admitted my error re his earlier comments in March or whenever it was. Comments I've heard more recently, as well as opinions from key people, have dissuaded me.

My point is, I'm happy to be pointed out an error. Not happy to be told I am besmirching a player's character. Long bow there rpfc.

I think I need to ban myself from this thread because it does touch a nerve with me, all of the issues associated with GW$.

Wait until free agency comes in - that is going to be like a yearly introduction of GWS and GC17 - we are worried about the loss of our young talent because lets be honest , our older talent is not quite where it should be - wait until these budding youngsters develop and get to where we hope they will be - and then are open to free agency raids - it will be a test of all our nerves.

You don't need to do that, I was heavy handed I will admit.

NB is right, free agency is only going to make this worse.

Which is apart of why I have taken my "I will believe an honest 19 year old kid" stance - I don't want to continually do this dance when FA comes in.

The signing of contracts will be delayed more and more under FA, and there comes a time when you just have to trust a kid before you trust a rumour.

Buckley was a mentor for Scully when he was a junior.

Possibly through the AIS, iirc.

He also was Vic Country U/16s coach - I don't believe the 2 are mutually exclusive.

The role of mentor isn't overly time consuming.

Come on Artie, you can do it, 1,000 posts in ten weeks got to be some sort of record.