• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for next week

Eth

A little left field... If garland misses, we play stef as a key defender, with gawn and jamar sharing the ruck...

In: jamar, gysberts,

Out: bennell, Garland/Gawn

Very tempted to drop bartram, but his value is greater in tighter games, so he stays for now...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta play three big men next week. Gawn stays, he and Martin to rotate through the ruck and rest forward, while Jamar should sit at full forward and jump in the ruck when required. I thought Gawn's speed and strength may have been a liability, but seeing him create Trenners' goal today he deserves his place.

I understand that Jones 'sets the example' on the training track and I understand not all players on your list can be A graders, but he kills us every week with his turnovers (as does Bartram). When our midfielders develop their bodies and put on some muscle, Jones will be superfluous. We need to look at recruiting one or two more small defenders with pace. Bartram only gets a game based on our lack of depth in this department.

So unfortunately both will play next week. We do need them to play shut down roles.

I'd bring in Tappy for Bennell (who might have been good on a Jake King type), but didn't offer enough in his short spell today and still drifts in and our of games. He needs to go back and earn his spot again at Casey.

Jamar comes in for Garland if injured. If not, not sure who he comes in for. Morton perhaps? Although he needs to keep building confidence.

While although his games are a little error riddled, Strauss needs to keep getting game time. So he stays for mine.

And finally, Gysberts comes in, and really should replace Jones, but that won't happen, so perhaps an unlucky Nicho will make way for him.

Edited by AdamFarr

Guest DeesPower

Petterd's been booked for striking Crowley in the 1st quarter. anyone see it?

Yes on the replay. it was just after the siren but in the play. Nothing in it IMO. amazed they reported it. there was far far worse this weekend

Guest DeesPower

Bartram stays because...he's Bartram. Someone has to take King, or Nahas.

Tapscott is the man for the most annoying person playing AFL - Jake King. Bennell gets Nahas as he can match him for pace and insist on a game similar to his Don's one off half back.

INS: Jamar, Tapscott, Gysberts

OUT: Strauss ( can no longer justify his inclusion - he is no longer demonstrating his so called elite kicking skills);Bartrum (disposal not up to our desired standards); Gawn (very unlucky Maxy. Showed us the future in the last couple of weeks. Thought he was excellent today, showed great fight and persistance. His time will come and will be a very important part of our future ten years)

These three inclusions greatly strengthen this side. can't wait to see the Russian playing as a key forward.

Guest DeesPower

Finally Someone with some football brains Big Max is a breath of fresh air he was our best big man today by a mile

Max gawn should never be out of this side

I greatly sympathise with this viewpoint, but i fear the richmond runners would cut us up down half back, although i acknowledge there is a case to be made.

Edited by DeesPower

Guest DeesPower

I'd swap Tapscott for Strauss.

We'll need someone in for Garland too which is another headache.

Don't agree on Dunn he should be used as a key forward but has yet to be used in such a role that he normally gets at Casey.

Dunn is a lot higher on my list than Bate, Wona or Maric.

If Garland is unavailable, maybe send Martin down back on vickery and play Gawn and Jamar. just a thought

We need to know more about injuries first. Not only Garland, but also Bartram who had a huge ice pack on his knee after the game. And why was Gysberts a late withdrawal? I haven't heard anything (apologies if it's covered elsewhere on this site). Nevertheless, I'm going to take a punt that all are fit for next week and that Petterd's cleared. On which basis, I would say In: Jamar, Gysberts Out: Gawn, Bennell. Tapscott to play at Casey. If either of Garland or Bartram don't come up or Petterd is suspended (unlikely. I would have thought), then Tapscott comes in.

Guest Deefence

The In's I Want: Russian, Tappy, Cook, Blease, Gys

The Out's I'm Prepared To Offer: Strauss, Petterd, Jurrah

Can't see why everyone wants to keep Strauss over Bartram, Barty offers more upside for me. And we know he has a disposal issue, so ensure he has someone running past him at all times! Easy fix. If Clint played like Jordie, 26 handballs and negated his player, we'd be saying 'what a great game'. Strauss picks up cheapies in the back pocket, have yet to see him do any defensive work yet.

Petterd looks out of sorts, but assuming he's out via report.

Jurrah needs rest / recovery, but are we worried about him cracking the shizits and going home?

Tappy for Strauss, Russian for Jurrah, Gys for Ricky Bobby

I was talking to a West Australian Coach who Coached down Bunbury way. He said Morton was like this even as a youngster. Said he thought he hasn't come on. Disappointing.

Whem I read some of the posts I often wonder whether some posters a. actually watch the game b. are influenced by a substance when they do, Morton was one of our better players yesterday, you do no have to go crash bang, we have players to do that, Moloney, Jones, Sylvia....we also need players who look like they are playig the game at their own speed...getting space etc, creating space, spreading the play..enter Morton, he has gone back to Casey, listened and learnt and has ccome back in a better player

The same is with Strauss, he has ocme in and done his job, he is not noticed, as a defender that is a compliment because he is doing his job/role

We won with 22 players all playing their role to the best of their abilities....you think by some of the posts we had copped another whacking

Edited by satyricon

Whem I read some of the posts I often wonder whether some posters a. actually watch the game b. are influenced by a substance when they do, Morton was one of our better players yesterday, you do no have to go crash bang, we have players to do that, Moloney, Jones, Sylvia....we also need players who look like they are playig the game at their own speed...getting space etc, creating space, spreading the play..enter Morton, he has gone back to Casey, listened and learnt and has ccome back in a better player

The same is with Strauss, he has ocme in and done his job, he is not noticed, as a defender that is a compliment because he is doing his job/role

We won with 22 players all playing their role to the best of their abilities....you think by some of the posts we had copped another whacking

agreed partially, strauss kept a clean sheet, and really should not be dropped, his kicking was again an asset this week, and was really good with the handball recieves.

morton is annoying, he shows how good he is and then he shows how poor he is, he is there for his classy disposal, as seen with his 50 m pass to stef martn in the first, but then his mistakes off the little chip kicks were as bad as some of the players who arent in the team for kicking. having said that he is an improving player and he just has to learn to play the percentages a little better i think

I know that, but that won't tell us how we compare Kids v kids, to see how we look against them for 4 yrs time. So maybe the Russian can just play forward for quite a bit, or they could hold him back for a week, to give Gawn and Martin confidence against a tlatented duo.

We also need to see how our mids go without an armchair ride to measure us against the Martin / Cotchin / Tiger mids.

I would rather we just played the best available team in the best possible structure to win the game.

Why wouldn't we use our weapons against them? So we can judge how we may line up against them in 4 years time??

Edited by Mac7

Does Stef Martin need a rest?? Just a thought.

Would hate to see him burn out, he has worked really hard this year.

Is Gawn ready to work with Jamar?

What? Why would you rest a bloke in career best form? A dual ruck combination where both blokes are mobile and capable of pinch hitting forward and in Stef's case back is what every team is searching for.

Now it's Bails job to make it work. If those 2 are in our best on Saturday we will win by 7 goals +

Tapscott is the man for the most annoying person playing AFL - Jake King.

Would love to see Dustin Martin try to fend off Bull and get smashed!

All these posts and only one person has mentioned dropping Jurrah (Deefence)! SURELY Jurrah needs to regain form/confidence/ability back at Casey, because he looked completely lost for three quarters yesterday. It was only when the game was iced in the last quarter that Bailey threw him on ball and he got some touches. Otherwise he looked completley shot. We could be playing with one less man if he gets a game next week, so bad was he yesterday.

IN: Jamar, Gysberts

OUT: Jurrah, Garland (inj)

(Bennell to stay in and play on Nahas)

jurrah couldn't get into it for 3 quarters. He was working hard off the ball for everyone else.Bailey spent 2 mins @ 3/4 time pumping him up and clearly told the entire team to involve him in the play. - The best way to get confidence into a bloke.Bailey then threw jurrah up the ground and it was clear from my position and reinforced hearing BT's commentary from in the corporates - Bailey instructed him 'go and get it'Watch the last quarter and see the focus switch to players actively looking for him.Wont be dropped

Quoted from a wrong thread...

Petterd looks out of sorts, but assuming he's out via report.

Tappy for Strauss, Russian for Jurrah, Gys for Ricky Bobby

Huh?

Ricky had his best game for the year. 18 possies, 8 marks, 9 i50s, 3 tackles and setup goals

You call that out of sorts?

OUT: Strauss ( can no longer justify his inclusion - he is no longer demonstrating his so called elite kicking skills)

Can't see why everyone wants to keep Strauss over Bartram... Strauss picks up cheapies in the back pocket, have yet to see him do any defensive work yet.

I really wonder what game people are watching sometimes. Strauss has been really good for us the last few games. He's beaten some good quality opponents, won plenty of the ball and is being used as the designated kicker out of our backline. It's not picking up cheap disposals when the other five guys are told to look for him to kick it clear and hit a target up field. His defensive game is 100% better than this time last year and his kicking is superior to most of our current backline. He does make occasional bad decisions, but experience will cure that. Let the guy play and enjoy the fact that we aren't turning the ball over by kicking directly to opponents on our half back line.

Huh?

Ricky had his best game for the year. 18 possies, 8 marks, 9 i50s, 3 tackles and setup goals

You call that out of sorts?

Agreed. He was really prominent. He floated through half forward and the middle and was damaging with his disposals. It was a great game and just what he needed to get his confidence up and cement a spot in the side for next week.

Yeah right. This game last year he got 5 goals, creamed Deledio and got 3 Browlow votes.

Good post [face palm]

Yes and it was the only Brownlow votes he got for the entire year - so he completely deserves a free ride back into the team :wacko:

Just like Petterd deserved a free ride back into the team vs the Pies a couple of weeks ago :wacko:

Thank god you don't choose the team!

if bartram gets dropped it is ridiculous, he made a few mistakes by foot sure, but he is rarely beaten in one on one contests, chases hard, tackles, applies pressure, and rarely gets beaten by his opponent.

he will play on nahas or king, and towel them up, if he doesnt play, no doubt we are weaker defensively, sure his kicking is off target at times, and these mistakes are always noticeable, but jordie mckenzie made 2 mistakes by foot aswell, towelled up pavlich, do we drop him because his kicking (when he did kick it) was off, god no.

there was a video on mfc site not long ago which said along the lines of, bartram is in the first few players picked to play the match, and no doubt he will play this week again!!

it irks me so much to see people hang on him for his offensive game, when his defensive game is the most important role for a defender.

Both Bartram & JMcDonald made disposal errors and Dicision errors in the 2nr & 3rd Qtrs. BUT, they both played very good games, and IMO our defence helped to starve the Dockers, & players like McKenzie just helped to strangle their supply. They just couldn't get any real attacking moves going through the middle & any supply was slow coming.

A little left field... If garland misses, we play stef as a key defender, with gawn and jamar sharing the ruck...

In: jamar, gysberts,

Out: bennell, Garland/Gawn

Very tempted to drop bartram, but his value is greater in tighter games, so he stays for now...

I think we experimented with Martin in different positions yesterday. I think Martin may have played Half forward??? He was up the other end of the ground & I was talking, so didn't really focus, but noticed him doing great work out around 65 Metres. I presume he could play CHF/Ruck, with Jamar & Gawn rotating from the forward pocket.

This to me suggests that either Moron or Jurrah could be in the gun? Watts could play from a flank or wing if Martin played the key forward post. Dunn could play a flank to put on defensive run.

Bennell could got to Nahas, or Nicho could.

Petterd got off so he stays in.

My changes would be:

- Gawn for Jamar (sorry mate, you've been great, but can't play 3 talls)

- Morton for Gysberts (someone has to make way for Gys and I'm sick of Morton's continued lack of heart. Tradebait for mine)

- Bartram for Tapscott (I know he's good defensively but his diposal is too much of a liability to carry - also King got given a weak so there's really only Nahas to worry about who Bennell can cover)

B: Bennell, Frawley, Garland

HB: Strauss, Rivers, Nicholson

C: Jones, Moloney, Gysberts

HF: Sylvia, Watts, Trengove

F: Howe, Jurrah, Green

Fol: Jamar, McKenzie, Scully

I: MacDonald, Petterd, Martin, Tapscott (Sub*)

* Tapscott comes in as sub to ease him back into match fitness and can play all over the ground.

Edited by buddha82

Didn't see the game so can only go by radio and stats .Max must be Gawn for a week if Russian is right .Someone has to make way for Tappy .Strauss is grouse : safe hands and kick . It must be out of Jurrah or Bennell or Bartram

(but wtf would I know) as to who to drop with Big mad Max .(Max had 4 tackles so he's stiff ).