Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

"Bruise Free Footy"

frankie_d

Guest hangon007

I've said this before and stuck up for players in this forum that many so called supporters have said "no we dont want him" ... because he cant do the pretty stuff or he cant get enough ticks on the stats sheets.

"Stats sheets supporters" should stick to Supercoach & Dreamteam if you want to know something about the game you need to attend the games and see the "whole" picture unfold in-front of you.

To play "un-sociable" football you need the right personnel ... sorry but we dont have enough of them at present. However, should stress here this does not mean we cant develop or recruit them.

Too many so called football supporters focus on the stats and the skills of the game and miss two vital ingredients, perceived on-field pressure & the mostly unnoticeable "1%ers" that lift the whole team.

Like it or lump it, opposition teams are not scared to play us & have not for a long time now. B)

Sorry but what the Carlton players are saying is nothing new.

Edited by hangon007

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Artie Bucco

A 16 year old not on the list yet, who may or may not be good enough to play senior football, is going to sort this out in a couple of years.

An intelligent person would realise I was being facetious and move on...

"(Brad) Green was rolling up, getting out the back on the corridor cover ... they were getting easy possessions and a lot of clearances"

Robinson really hit the nail on the head. Whilst I tend to agree with most of what he said, you shouldn't sledge another teams captain so publicly.

Probably reflects the general opinion of the club from many personnel from others clubs. At this point in time, given our injury list and youth, it is perhaps a bit harsh, but it should hopefully spur the boys on a bit. A bit rich coming from a Carlton player though. They are a few years ahead of us in development and were a pretty poor team until all their tanking started to pay off (i.e., last 18 months).

Guest Thomo

A 16 year old which most junior coaches will tell you will be a star.

Tom Swift was the best 16 year old in the country. Hopefully Viney will be a star, but way to early to talk about him solving the problems.

Funniest line of the morning has to go to Dermie when he said that when the Melbourne forward line come in to the change rooms they empty the ice out of the bathtubs because they won't need them.

The club has been embarrassed and will probably come out breathing fire against the Bombers. It will be funny watching Jurrah, Watts, Morton and Bennell trying to throw their weight around. Comical stuff.

Edited by Hannabal

Funniest line of the morning has to go to Dermie when he said that when the Melbourne forward line come in to the change rooms they empty the ice out of the bathtubs because they won't need them.

The club has been embarrassed and will probably come out breathing fire against the Bombers. It will be funny watching Jurrah, Watts, Morton and Bennell trying to throw their weight around. Comical stuff.

i'm glad you are enjoying it all so much

ever heard of supporting the club? you are a disgrace

We have been walked over and laughed at by other clubs for the last 40+ years and it is time to make a stance. I don't care if we have had many different Players, Administrations, Coaches and Presidents the same problem has persisted throughout. I'm not sure if it’s our close association with the squeaky clean MCC or it's just something handed down from generation to generation but it is an ongoing problem of monumental proportions. The lack of respect we have from other clubs is justified, we have had a history of weakness and unless we rid ourselves of the players that exemplify this weakness we will always be the subject of ridicule.

There should be some trading at the end of the year and we need to get a coach that will not accept second class performances; any player not performing or putting his head over the ball should be dropped. I would rather lose games but win respect with kids who try.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/time-for-melbourne-demons-to-stand-up-david-schwarz/story-e6frf9jf-1226066201563

"Soft" implies we are scared to go in for the hard ball. Certainly we have a few "outside" players - Bennell, Jurrah, Morton, to name three of the most cited examples - who appear reluctant to charge into a contest, but I think our weakness is just that, weakness. We are small/light/undersized, call it what you will. Until we have a side that can match it physically with the other good sides, who are mostly full of strong, big-bodied players, we will struggle. Then the players, including the perceived soft players, need to be taught to stick a tackle. Will that come with development? How much of it is down to the game plan having players in the wrong position? How much is is down to the footy department concentrating on game-plan at the expense of personal physical development?

One thing was obvious to me: against North & Carlton we had a go, but did not have the grunt to win the ball our way. No matter how hard we tackled the ball still managed to squirt out to the opposition's advantage.

Nevertheless, at the moment we have too many "outside" players and not enough "inside" players. We are unbalanced. But surely the footy department knows that and it trying to do something about it.

"Soft" implies we are scared to go in for the hard ball. Certainly we have a few "outside" players - Bennell, Jurrah, Morton, to name three of the most cited examples - who appear reluctant to charge into a contest, but I think our weakness is just that, weakness. We are small/light/undersized, call it what you will. Until we have a side that can match it physically with the other good sides, who are mostly full of strong, big-bodied players, we will struggle. Then the players, including the perceived soft players, need to be taught to stick a tackle. Will that come with development? How much of it is down to the game plan having players in the wrong position? How much is is down to the footy department concentrating on game-plan at the expense of personal physical development?

One thing was obvious to me: against North & Carlton we had a go, but did not have the grunt to win the ball our way. No matter how hard we tackled the ball still managed to squirt out to the opposition's advantage.

Nevertheless, at the moment we have too many "outside" players and not enough "inside" players. We are unbalanced. But surely the footy department knows that and it trying to do something about it.

I hate Mitch Robinson but he was 100% correct. Have a look at how other teams set up when there is a stoppage in our forward half or we have control of ball moving forward. Pretty much every player on the field is within a kick and a half of the ball carrier.

Now have a look at how we set up. Against the Blues the ball was deep on the Northern stand wing and players like Morton and Green are standing on their own 100 metres away on the other side of the ground hoping for someone else to do the hard work and flick the ball out to them for easy possessions. Now this may be playing to instruction or this may be the players looking for cheap bruise-free possessions. Either way it is an indictment on our club.

I rarely abuse our players at the footy but on Friday night I was at my wits end. Players like Morton, Petterd, Jurrah, Green, Bennell etc etc all looking to play bruise-free footy. It is weak and makes our club look weak and makes me embarrassed to be there watching and supporting that crap.

This week I want to see Scully, Trengove, Gawn, Howe and Blease in the team. In the Age article it said Howe could be a chance but the selectors may err on the side of choosing Dunn for experience. All I can say is what is the point if that experience is rubbish and Howe has been playing well in the 2s? Give the kid a chance he couldnt do any worse than Petterd, Jurrah or Bate did the other night.

PS – I don’t care what they do this weekend against Essendon or the following week against the Pies. It’s easy to get up after being slammed (as we did against the Crows) or to get up for “our Grand Final”. I said after the Eagles game the Crows match would mean nothing, it would be how we fronted up against the Roos & Saints that mattered. Same thing here. They can come out all guns blazing due to embarrassment from these comments but it will mean nothing unless they can start to put consistent hard efforts together over the course of the season, not make them the exception to the rule.

Edited by Demonic Ascent

"(Brad) Green was rolling up, getting out the back on the corridor cover ... they were getting easy possessions and a lot of clearances"

Robinson really hit the nail on the head. Whilst I tend to agree with most of what he said, you shouldn't sledge another teams captain so publicly.

Did Robinson really say that about Green? If he did, he is an arrogant little turd who will get what's coming to him.

A player who has been playing football, pretty poorly, for 5 minutes, coming out and kicking the captain of a football team while he is down to the media after the game.... what a dropkick.

Typical Carlton arrogance and disrespect.

We'll have our time.

I hate Mitch Robinson but he was 100% correct. Have a look at how other teams set up when there is a stoppage in our forward half or we have control of ball moving forward. Pretty much every player on the field is within a kick and a half of the ball carrier.

Now have a look at how we set up. Against the Blues the ball was deep on the Northern stand wing and players like Morton and Green are standing on their own 100 metres away on the other side of the ground hoping for someone else to do the hard work and flick the ball out to them for easy possessions. Now this may be playing to instruction or this may be the players looking for cheap “bruise-free” possessions. Either way it is an indictment on our club.

I rarely abuse our players at the footy but on Friday night I was at my wits end. Players like Morton, Petterd, Jurrah, Green, Bennell etc etc all looking to play “bruise-free” footy. It is weak and makes our club look weak and makes me embarrassed to be there watching and supporting that crap.

This week I want to see Scully, Trengove, Gawn, Howe and Blease in the team. In the Age article it said Howe could be a chance but the selectors may err on the side of choosing Dunn for experience. All I can say is what is the point if that experience is rubbish and Howe has been playing well in the 2’s? Give the kid a chance he couldn’t do any worse than Petterd, Jurrah or Bate did the other night.

The thing is, I don't think 85% of us disagree with the sentiment.

But 99% also wouldn't disagree with the sentiment that the North melbourne Football Club is a meaningless basket case with no future. Doesn't mean our players should come out and say it after a game against them.

So it's not the content of the message, it's the arrogance and disrespect of saying it to the media after the game.

Agree with Hangon 007 comments.

We have an overabundance of "small" lightly framed outside running players on the senior and rookie list.

We need bigger bodies who can run, don't get brushed aside and have a bit of unsociability about them. Hawthorn, Geelong or Collingwood style if you like.

Recruiting the high draft picks is a no brainer and they get a tick for Tapscott, but not comfortable with a number of middle and later picks who have played to date.

I'm hoping Davis, Howe, Gawn and McDonald will have a bit more grunt when they get their chance and I hope they are ready soon.

But 99% also wouldn't disagree with the sentiment that the North melbourne Football Club is a meaningless basket case with no future. Doesn't mean our players should come out and say it after a game against them.

At least North don't mind getting a few bruises.

Guest Gotzy15

And I keep thinking of Trengove in the last quarter against Adelaide - goes hard at the ball going into the forward line, gets it, then takes the extra step before dishing off the handball for an easy goal. Gets crunched, and lying on the ground. NO ONE goes to him to pick him up and pat him on the back - pathetic. This NOTHING to do with injuries or youth (him being young, and all). It's a poison and I'm sick of it. I was there in '64, enjoyed the Northey era, but now feel ashamed. I don't have any answers all I can do it let off steam. My deep worry is that despite the debt reduction and the perception of off field improvement we've all been conned by the managerialists - lots of smooth talk and not enough head over the ball.

Good on ya frankie_d were all behind you mate! Youre the kind of supporter that this club needs more of! Im only a young bloke (around the same age as most of our young players like trenners) but i too really value hard, head over the ball type footy from my team. I too think Jack Trengove's courage against adelaide was amazing and if no one went to him to pat him on the back then thats a disgrace. In saying that though i think its pretty clear what other teams think of us. How much more motivation do we need to go out there and start playing like hungry wolves fighting over a scrap of meat. Lets use Mitch Robinson and Dennis Armfields (who would have to be one of the softest pretty boys of all time)comments to spur us on and fly the flag for our great club and all the players who have ever pulled on the red and blue!!

The thing is, I don't think 85% of us disagree with the sentiment.

So it's not the content of the message, it's the arrogance and disrespect of saying it to the media after the game.

I agree but someone had to say it and it seems like the message either isn't being delivered or isn't being received internally so if it takes someone outside the club to say it then so be it. This is what EVERY club in the AFL thinks of us and have for quite some time (probably since the late 60's-early 70's). I am sick of supporting a PISSWEAK club, I want a no-nonsense, no compromises club.

Sheedy was a scumbag who recruited players like Dean Wallis, Roger Merrett and the Johnsons and he has 4 premierships as a coach. Leigh Matthews was charged for smacking Neville Bruns behind the play how many flags did he get? Dermie and Rhys-Jones - thugs with medallions. More recently Hawthorn in 2008 playing unsociable footy - premiers. Port in 2004 with Carr, Pickett etc won a flag and should have had at least one more.

I'm sick of supporting these downhill skiers who are scared to put their bodies on the line for their club, who are scared to stick up for their mates on the field and who would rather whinge and point at each other than take the initiative to take the game by the scruff of the neck and LEAD their team mates to victory. One of the most pleasing things I have seen over the last month (probably the only pleasing thing) is Jack Watts showing that he actually wants to do this, his body just won't let him yet. Give him 2-3 more years and he will be leading this team to victory, mark my words. Guys like Sylvia, Moloney & Jones try their hardest but either don't have the skill or don't have the suppport to lift the team. But you don't have to be built like these guys to put your body on the line. Look at Toovey getting crunched going back with the flight. Look at Riewoldt going back with the flight against the Swans when he was only 22 or so. These guys have a manic desire to win the footy, win the game and do what it takes to get their club over the line. I don't see that in many of our guys, particularly those who have been there from the Daniher/Corcoran era - some of the enw guys are showing signs but we need to either instill it in the rest or weed them out and stop rewarding mediocrity; you know the same type of mediocrity that almost saw Yze beat Stynes' record for consecutive games even though he was a squib.

Demonic Ascent, you will not get any argument we are playing bruise free footy, but I want to know why. Are we badly coached in tactics, game plan, man-on-man, or simply not good enough?

We got up against the Crows because the Crows were utter rubbish. If we played Collingwood the week after the Eagles game we would not have smashed them by 94 points.

Bring it on. The more said about this the better for our club long term.

How do you think Chip, Moloney, Jones, Russian would take that news.

My concern is that the coaches will try to water it down and treat it as a potential distraction. I would hope that the opposite is done.

I'm firmly of the belief that a key reason why many of our players hold back and hover around packs is because they don't fear their coach. They don't fear him because they don't fully respect him. They don't fully respect him because he doesn't have premiership pedigree and that elusive characteristic called "presence".

Let's get someone in there who does. Quickly.

Guest Gotzy15

I'm firmly of the belief that a key reason why many of our players hold back and hover around packs is because they don't fear their coach. They don't fear him because they don't fully respect him. They don't fully respect him because he doesn't have premiership pedigree and that elusive characteristic called "presence".

Let's get someone in there who does. Quickly.

Great call Range Rover. We need a 'match day coach' who the players really want to die for! its not dean bailey

i'm glad you are enjoying it all so much

ever heard of supporting the club? you are a disgrace

We are Not a disgrace,,, we're embarassed by what is being being put out in the Red & Blue Jumper. Thats the disgrace, and it's been accepted for TOO Long!

We have been walked over and laughed at by other clubs for the last 40+ years and it is time to make a stance. I don't care if we have had many different Players, Administrations, Coaches and Presidents the same problem has persisted throughout. I'm not sure if it's our close association with the squeaky clean MCC or it's just something handed down from generation to generation but it is an ongoing problem of monumental proportions. The lack of respect we have from other clubs is justified, we have had a history of weakness and unless we rid ourselves of the players that exemplify this weakness we will always be the subject of ridicule.

There should be some trading at the end of the year and we need to get a coach that will not accept second class performances; any player not performing or putting his head over the ball should be dropped. I would rather lose games but win respect with kids who try.

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226066201563

Now your talkin' robbie. Thats the 'Fire in the Belly' we all have to expect, 'FROM OUR SUPPORTERS', at our Players. Stop blaming every coach who comes through the door.

STOP the backslapping for poor performances. If a PLayer puts in a "short step",,,DON'T tell him 'Nether Mind'! Let him wallow in it for a while. Let him learn.

!

logo.jpg