• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Viney push

DemonOX

And your solution is ..............................................................

Have an experienced passionate Melbourne man have an in depth, hands on look at our football department, possibly a club legend and Brownlow medalist.

Have that person with assistance make informed, rational decisions in the interests of winning a flag, not kneejerk, emotional decisions after we lose a game playing with a side consisting of half of Casey Scorpions and blokes who have just grown pubes.

I see you got the irony...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Artie Bucco

And your solution is ..............................................................

Pretty easy - accept the fact that we'd suffer these performances no matter who was coach, and stick fat with Bailey.

Pretty easy - accept the fact that we'd suffer these performances no matter who was coach, and stick fat with Bailey.

So you're happy with our "Game Plan" are you; another coach wouldn't improve our performance at all, is that correct? I don't think we should sack Bailey mid term but I certainly don't want him at Melbourne next year.

Have a look at the game from last night or any game for that matter; we don't have a forward line we have 18 defenders and the plan is for one or more of them to race back to our empty forward line (empty except for opposition defenders that is) and try to take a mark or scrounge a goal off the deck. That's of course on the premise that we can actually get the ball out of our defending 50mtr area. Some plan.

Edited by RobbieF

Have an experienced passionate Melbourne man have an in depth, hands on look at our football department, possibly a club legend and Brownlow medalist.

Have that person with assistance make informed, rational decisions in the interests of winning a flag, not kneejerk, emotional decisions after we lose a game playing with a side consisting of half of Casey Scorpions and blokes who have just grown pubes.

I see you got the irony...

If nothing else you made me laugh.

Guys I have little real knowledge of DB's coaching ability.

Only the results on the field.

Before all the injuries we were not setting the world on fire.

I believe we do not have the cattle right now to implement DB's plan

even if the plan is a good one.

We are now 3.5 years into the Bailey reign.

In spite of the changes over that period our progression

seems to be limited to the size of our defeats.

We have had a little bad luck with some draftees in Strauss and Blease.

However few clubs get every pick correct.

My biggest criticism is we seem to pick mainly skinny kids who are going to take 4+ years to develop.

Not a Rich or Darling anywhere.

The nett result is a list that is probably 3 years from maturity.

And if they all make it we will have a good team that may make a GF.

But with each passing week I have less belief in that theory.

My patience is almost at an end.

IMO if we do not see a great revival in July and August

I will be looking for a Coaching change

Because that is probably the only thing that will get me up for 2012.

Daniel Bradshaw Knee Indefinite

Kieren Jack Ankle 1-2 weeks

Jed Lamb Hamstring Available

Mike Pyke Quad 1-2 weels

Gary Rohan Knee 4-6 weeks

Matt Spangher Hamstring 1 week

Shane Mumford

This is Sydney's injury list. Compare it to our list and then consider they are losing to NM 21-0 as i write this.

Let's not expect too much from our boys.

I have no doubt we would have been all over Carlton last night without any major players out for as long as we have had them out.

In one way, I understand the defensive approach the coaching staff took last night. Imagine the uproar if we lost by 90+ points regardless of whether we played aggressive or not.

He was possibly thinking back to WC and thinking what could have helped and started with that instead of the possibility of a 1st quarter blow out.

Try 2 points down at the half and playing interstate. They show some real heart and desperation unlike our side

Guest Artie Bucco

So you're happy with our "Game Plan" are you; another coach wouldn't improve our performance at all, is that correct? I don't think we should sack Bailey mid term but I certainly don't want him at Melbourne next year.

Have a look at the game from last night or any game for that matter; we don't have a forward line we have 18 defenders and the plan is for one or more of them to race back to our empty forward line (empty except for opposition defenders that is) and try to take a mark or scrounge a goal off the deck. That's of course on the premise that we can actually get the ball out of our defending 50mtr area. Some plan.

More than happy, considering the circumstances.

I'm not sure what you think another coach could be doing given the current predicament we are in.

Your interpretation of our gameplan is incorrect, but you wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

At least it's an improvement on the ignorance of "we don't have one."

I'd sign Bailey up now, if I could.

For mine the issue is "the gameplan".

It is being countered too easily, the players look confused, the press makes our skills look ragged, we second guess, we struggle to launch an attack and we play too much of the game in the defensive half.

Obviously this gameplan is determined by the coach and coaching staff. In essence I agree with the premise of the thread that urgent action is required. I don't agree that it necessitates a change of coach.

Guest Artie Bucco

How about the number of players coming from Casey into the senior team - I'm not familiar with the gameplan employed by Gotch at Casey, but is there a chance with so much "new blood" coming into the senior team, that we are terribly unfamiliar with how to implement it?

Maybe another reason why it would be good to have our own VFL team.

I'm not sure what you think another coach could be doing given the current predicament we are in.

Your interpretation of our gameplan is incorrect, but you wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

Well you're easily pleased aren't you.

Just as a matter of interest, and in view of your comment on the ignorance of those that suggest "we don't have a game plan", what is ours?

You say my interpretation is "incorrect" so let's have yours. Where do you think we're headed and what do you think we are hoping to achieve with the current style of play?

Guest 36DD

Hello is anyone home or have you made you way back to the nut house? To change a coach mid season is not ideal the point I was making in regards to the hard nuts comment is that Viney played that way and you would think he would instill it in the players. Geez some people are thick. Hope you understand what i am saying, maybe get you mum or dad to read it to you. Good luck with that.

Team plays bad, oh must be the coach.

How can Viney make the players more aggressive??? By ranting and raving prior to and during a match??? Or just because he played with aggression our players will immediately inherit this??? This is so pathetic it beggars belief. You obviously have never ever played football in your life.

I can just see the press conference now...why have you decided to appoint Viney midway through the season??? Um, well Tood used to play with so much agression and we hope the players will adopt his playing style.

I laughed so hard I nearly [censored] my pants when I read this.

How can Viney make the players more aggressive??? By ranting and raving prior to and during a match??? Or just because he played with aggression our players will immediately inherit this??? This is so pathetic it beggars belief. You obviously have never ever played football in your life.

I can just see the press conference now...why have you decided to appoint Viney midway through the season??? Um, well Tood used to play with so much agression and we hope the players will adopt his playing style.

Judging by your comments I suspect you are the one to "never ever played football in your life"

There are many other ways to get "players more aggressive" but you wouldn't understand

You are missing the point,

Guest 36DD

Judging by your comments I suspect you are the one to "never ever played football in your life"

There are many other ways to get "players more aggressive" but you wouldn't understand

enlighten me freud???

Guest 36DD

You are missing the point,

Not at all, you think that getting a new coach will be a panacea and all our problems will be solved, its a cop out.

If the thread continues to degenerate into personal insults and fails to discuss footy I will close it. Please stick to the discussion and play the ball, not the man.

Not at all, you think that getting a new coach will be a panacea and all our problems will be solved, its a cop out.

Its not the only solution but it would go along way to solving the problem.

DB has to go asap. He is not performing, despite starting the season with supposedly one of the best young lists and a soft draw. OK we have had some injuries of late, but the tone was set earlier in the year. The current rebuild has stalled and needs a big kick in the guts.

Sorry to disagree but Bailey has to stay until 2011 is over. Any change now would cause more lack of confidence in our huge list of young footballers. His foundation principle has been to get games into your players and re-draft a new team. What he has to prove now is can he coach on game day and yes, he is failing in this KPI. His biggest error is that his basic game plan is faulty. Based on transition only with no structure or power in the forward 50. But if we get rid of him and "play the kids" we will be playing the same footballers we are playing now because we have so many injuries, and some dreadful mid-range footballers in poor form like Morton, Petterd, Newton etc...

As far as other coaches goes, having Viney sounds good, but there is no clear evidence of him being a hard coach at all. Actually he comes across as really mild-mannered and I will scream blue murder if we replace Bailey with another Balme/Daniher/Bailey type who cannot INSPIRE. I don't care how they played their footy - I care about how they coach. Can they build confidence? Can they produce skill under pressure in the players? Can they make the players want to kill for the jumper? Hird was a gentleman footballer but his players are playing kamakaze football with run, fire and intensity. I want a coach that can produce similar.

Our assistant coaches team is a dilemma. I reckon West is doing a good job because when we have Sylvia, Moloney, Jones, Trengove, Scully, Gysberts, Bail, McKenzie with Jamar, and Martin is coming on im leaps and bounds, they set up and play OK. I am unsure about Royal, unsure about Mahoney, unsure about O'Donnell (he has no runs on the board at all) and very unsure about Dunbar. If we do get a new coach in 2012 I hope their assistant coaches have better resumes and evidence of success than our current lot.

My mate reckons that he's been told that Bailey will coach the next two games then after the QB clash Viney will step in as a caretaker. Personally I'd hate to see the club destabilized like this. Regardless of what happens I'd like to see Bailey coach out the season.

Take all of that with a grain of salt.

My mate reckons that he's been told that Bailey will coach the next two games then after the QB clash Viney will step in as a caretaker. Personally I'd hate to see the club destabilized like this. Regardless of what happens I'd like to see Bailey coach out the season.

The club would be stupid to cause this sort of upheaval, especially if they are trying to lure an experienced coach, and they know that.

Bailey will coach the season out, and I fully support that move. We cannot keep destabilizing our club with internal upheaval. It's messy, it's unprofessional, and it makes us a very unattractive proposition for any perspective coach.

Besides, Bailey has done a great deal right for our club and regardless of what happens at the end of the season we should be eternally greatful that he had the balls to turn our list over.

The club would be stupid to cause this sort of upheaval, especially if they are trying to lure an experienced coach, and they know that.

Bailey will coach the season out, and I fully support that move. We cannot keep destabilizing our club with internal upheaval. It's messy, it's unprofessional, and it makes us a very unattractive proposition for any perspective coach.

Besides, Bailey has done a great deal right for our club and regardless of what happens at the end of the season we should be eternally greatful that he had the balls to turn our list over.

Couldn't agree with you more. Bailey may never be a premiership coach however he is a great developer of young players.

Guest Artie Bucco

If it has been decided he's not the right coach for after then, why is he the right coach for now?

These sorts of decisions aren't made like that.

If he's the wrong coach now, he goes. He's not.

Your mate is having a lend of you.

What I know about Todd Viney is that he played 233 games for this club and in each and every one of them he played like his life depended on it.

The sort of bloke you couldn't look in the eye if you go half-hearted.

That's what we need for now.

What you also need to know is that he was standing and sitting right next to Bailey all day today. He's NOT the next coach.

If it has been decided he's not the right coach for after then, why is he the right coach for now?

These sorts of decisions aren't made like that.

If he's the wrong coach now, he goes. He's not.

Your mate is having a lend of you.

Don't be so naive there are many times there has been a predetermined date for a coach to go and another to come in. Let's nit forget it can take time for a caretaker coach to be found/appointed, these decisions take more than a week to be put in place. As I said though in a previous post I hope this doesn't occur. Putting in another untried person is not the answer, and frankly I reckon most of this hype has cOme about by Melbourne supporters overestimating our ability, time frame in our rebuild and impact our first/second/third year players will have. Not to mention a poor run with injuries and loss of experience.

As for the info, I myself am not convinced. But as cliched as it does sound he usually has fairly reliable mail.