Morton being looked at by other clubs

dees189227

Languishing in regret changes nothing.

The club has virtually rebuilt itself, do you believe that it has done so with the aim of achievement? I believe it does, but success won't come without stoppoing to check yourself in the mirror and making sure that you are'nt being too insular and unnacountable. Criticism be it self or otherwise is integral to the "change of culture".

We want the club to HTFU, how about the rest of us?

I'm not languishing in regret I'm asking WW some questions to prove a point. The point being We don't believe...period.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not languishing in regret I'm asking WW some questions to prove a point. The point being We don't believe...period.

So what do we do, throw our hands up in the air and give up the idea of success because we are a bunch of losers or try to effect change.

If the former is the attitude we have as members and supporters then we get what we deserve. That was my point.

I know you love the club RI otherwise you wouldn't be here. Surely you understand that you can't undo 47 years of failure in 3 years. The club has been torn down and rebuilt from virtually every angle.

I am not an apologist, I demand success, I demand hardness and despise failure. I try to be honest in my appraisals of what is going on. The fact is that every club who has undergone a period of success has been checked on the way. We can't drop our bundle at the first sign of resistance. We just need to find a way. If it means that we need to delist a few, recruit a few, change coaching staff...whatever it takes we need to do.

So what do we do, throw our hands up in the air and give up the idea of success because we are a bunch of losers or try to effect change.

If the former is the attitude we have as members and supporters then we get what we deserve. That was my point.

I know you love the club RI otherwise you wouldn't be here. Surely you understand that you can't undo 47 years of failure in 3 years. The club has been torn down and rebuilt from virtually every angle.

I am not an apologist, I demand success, I demand hardness and despise failure. I try to be honest in my appraisals of what is going on. The fact is that every club who has undergone a period of success has been checked on the way. We can't drop our bundle at the first sign of resistance. We just need to find a way. If it means that we need to delist a few, recruit a few, change coaching staff...whatever it takes we need to do.

Sure but the change that is happening at the top can only be matched at the bottom (FD) if we pump some serious money into it. Problem being we don't have the money and we have a low membership base to draw from. Not only that we have got used to being laughed at as a club. I'm a very vocal positive supporter of this club. However blind faith won't get us there. We need sustained success to breed a new culture for this club. Problem being that to achieve this success you partly draw on past success, which just isn't there.

Sure but the change that is happening at the top can only be matched at the bottom (FD) if we pump some serious money into it. Problem being we don't have the money and we have a low membership base to draw from. Not only that we have got used to being laughed at as a club. I'm a very vocal positive supporter of this club. However blind faith won't get us there. We need sustained success to breed a new culture for this club. Problem being that to achieve this success you partly draw on past success, which just isn't there.

Scully, Trengove, Watts, Tapscott, they are young men but they can draw on thier own personal successes and they have been successful, committed and have overcome.

Nathan Jones ability to curb his over agressive tendencies, Mark Jamar's journey from virtual oblivion to success, Brent Moloney's ride. What about Ricky Petterd's willingness to take on responsibility, Trengove's maturity and cool head, Frawley's ability to attack against the tide, Jordie f&^ken Mckenzie!!, Liam Jurrah might have a story or two. There are some real positives that our playing group can draw from and build upon.

They all have thier own personal experiences to draw from. Would it really make that much of a difference to these guys if a bunch of blokes in the 80s or 90s won a flag for the dees. A lot of these young guys are of exceptional character, far be it for me to judge them as a bunch of losers who are going to stagnate because thier predecessors couldn' t win a flag.

Our culture is about the playing group that we have now, the culture ain't right yet but I can see enough in our group to suggest that things have a real opportunity to improve.

Scully, Trengove, Watts, Tapscott, they are young men but they can draw on thier own personal successes and they have been successful, committed and have overcome.

Nathan Jones ability to curb his over agressive tendencies, Mark Jamar's journey from virtual oblivion to success, Brent Moloney's ride. What about Ricky Petterd's willingness to take on responsibility, Trengove's maturity and cool head, Frawley's ability to attack against the tide, Jordie f&^ken Mckenzie!!, Liam Jurrah might have a story or two. There are some real positives that our playing group can draw from and build upon.

They all have thier own personal experiences to draw from. Would it really make that much of a difference to these guys if a bunch of blokes in the 80s or 90s won a flag for the dees. A lot of these young guys are of exceptional character, far be it for me to judge them as a bunch of losers who are going to stagnate because thier predecessors couldn' t win a flag.

Our culture is about the playing group that we have now, the culture ain't right yet but I can see enough in our group to suggest that things have a real opportunity to improve.

Agreed. As I said in my post you need success to create success. All the players you mention bring that. Does the club have the resources to put into these guys to get that extra 5% out of them which takes them from preliminary finalists to Premiership players? At some stage the club is going to have to back itself and put the money in or we'll see what we've seen before, good sides but not good enough to go all the way. In the end it's going to come down to belief, do we have it? We haven't for nearly 50 years so I guess I'm sceptical. And would it make a difference if some guys in the past had won a Premiership. If the club was able to build on that success then yes, look at Hawthorn.

I'll ask you a couple of simple questions

1. Do you think this club has a winning culture. As in a sense of belief that we will end up on top?

2. Do you think over the last 47 years we have failed to develop players to their full potential?

3. Do you equate AA honours with team success?

Your initial comment referred to poor football culture and that is what I was questioning! Not winning culture which you have now added is a different argument all together!

So addressing Morton being a product of poor football culture at MFC! I fail to see how poor football culture get 3 players make it to AA squad. Would you consider that developing players to their full potential? Maybe Morton just hasn't got it or needs longer to develop!

Although totally irrelevant to my original query I will answer your three questions because they are simple and shouldn't tax my brain too much!

1. Currently no I don't believe this club has a winning culture, that would normally come with winning games! I have no doubt that the current list of players hate losing more than the supporters and together with Jim will deliver a sustained period of success in the future!

2.I believe that the MFC over 47 years would have developed every player to be the best they could be! And moved on those that couldn't! We've had some absolute champions play over the 47 years and at times we have been fortunate to have multiple's in the same team and have given us some success! We spent years around the middle stages of the ladder which would only yield one or two quality draft picks if that, it wasn't until we finished on the bottom that we finally stocked up on quality young players. If in 5 years or so the MFC does not have a sustained period of success then I would say that they have failed to develop them to their full potential!

3.Clearly not but certainly shows that the club they came from can develop players!

Go Dees!

Agreed. As I said in my post you need success to create success. All the players you mention bring that. Does the club have the resources to put into these guys to get that extra 5% out of them which takes them from preliminary finalists to Premiership players? At some stage the club is going to have to back itself and put the money in or we'll see what we've seen before, good sides but not good enough to go all the way. In the end it's going to come down to belief, do we have it? We haven't for nearly 50 years so I guess I'm sceptical. And would it make a difference if some guys in the past had won a Premiership. If the club was able to build on that success then yes, look at Hawthorn.

Right on!

Does this guy have a willingness to compete at all?

Not from what I've seen. His trade value is dimming with every game. First round, second round, third round, fourth maybe after last night? A bag of second hand footies in a couple more weeks?

Guest Guy Rigoni

He has just stagnated so badly, up to the point where our first year rookie listed players have passed him.

The man has no role or place in the team at the moment.

The man has no role or place in the team at the moment.

That is the biggest problem IMO. What is his position?

We keep playing him in every position on the field, but never for long enough to allow him to get some consistency.

His best games have been on the wing, where he is able to push forward. Why the f' are we then playing him in the backline?

I wanted to see him take on Judd, but instead they threw him down back, where he actually didn't do a bad job defensively but was utterly useless offensively, which is where he excels.

I understand that we need to teach him to go the other way, but he is such a unique player with a unique set of skills, and currently we are wasting him. Play him on the wing every week from now until season's end, then make a decision.

He is not an AFL footballer.

Has had one really good game in his career and even then people here overate it (3 easy goals, 30 outside possies).

Never has an MFC player made me want to bring up my food more than Cale.

Like the rest of his brothers, incredibly NQR.

He wasn't as bad as many were saying last night. Jurrah has less willingess than him but everyone forgives him because he can take a mark and snap a goal. The next few weeks he does need to impact the game, i do believe he will be a good player. Just hope Dean gets the best out of him.

Guest Artie Bucco

A player practically in his 3rd year due to injuries, coming in having had an injury-interrupted preseason, sent to Casey to work on areas of his game, but prematurely forced back into the 1s only because of other injuries...

I think he is being judged too harshly.

He is supposed to be an elite outside player with elite endurance and skills.

He has shown us that he can run however his much touted skills have never blossomed at senior level.

The thing that concerns me most is his lack of clear and quick thinking and skill execution. Even when he was getting heaps of it he seems to take an eternity to make a decision and is then very slow in executing the skill. This cannot be tolerated in modern footy.

I have argued long and hard with many on here about him over the years.

Guest Artie Bucco

Is it not fair to assume he may be rusty, both skills-wise and game sense-wise, considering his lack of a preseason, missing games early and then time spent playing at VFL level?

Without injuries, he'd still be at Casey getting back into form.

He made some errors last night, that tend to stick in your head, although the Herald sun has his efficiency at 79%

I agree he would still be finding format Casey but was forced back early

Edited by Jordie_tackles

Guest Guy Rigoni

I know it doesn't mean much, but he just doesn't look like an AFL player, after 3 or 4 years in the system, the bloke is still as skinny as the day he was drafted. For a 190cm+ bloke, he just looks like a under 14's player out there against men in his baggy shorts and jumper.

I know it doesn't mean much, but he just doesn't look like an AFL player, after 3 or 4 years in the system, the bloke is still as skinny as the day he was drafted. For a 190cm+ bloke, he just looks like a under 14's player out there against men in his baggy shorts and jumper.

I think it does mean much GR. He has had a few "issues" which slowed his weight gain, but apparently that was sorted early last year. IMO though, he doesn't seem to have gained anything at all, and I find it quite disappointing. I really do believe that it has a negative effect on his game for sure, and he knows it is an issue, but has not put in the effort to fix it.

Guest Artie Bucco

Morton has gained weight, even if you don't recognise it.

He also lost 7kg last year after surgery and illness.

He's probably only just put that back on plus a little bit more.

Cale just needs another injury-free preseason.

His brothers have done it, so I have faith it will happen eventually.