'Scully talks'

Samsara

post 128 is from Artie.. So its I who ask..what are you on about ?

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW i brough a jumper and had the #31 put on it the day after his press conference. Although he didnt put the situation to bed he did enough to get me pumped about his future in red/blue. If he doesnt sign then i'll just have to say i got #31 on my jumper becasue i was a big paul wheetley fan!

Going back to Tom's one and only presser in March it was obvious he was artfully well coached to what to say. In the end he said nothing more than what Velocity Sports had said previously. But he was not perfect. He was very eloquent and confident but when he had to answer a direct question the modulation of his voice changed significantly. Totally unconvincing.

FWIW i brough a jumper and had the #31 put on it the day after his press conference. Although he didnt put the situation to bed he did enough to get me pumped about his future in red/blue. If he doesnt sign then i'll just have to say i got #31 on my jumper becasue i was a big paul wheetley fan!

Wheatley

Or the great RB!

Poor reply. My post was in response to you accusing the party's concerned of not acting appropriately.

Of course I read it. Mind you it takes a while to decipher it.

post 128 is from Artie.. So its I who ask..what are you on about ?

Strange. The above post quoted is post 128 for me. You must have adjusted settings or something.

I haven't heard Tom say something comforting like "I will be playing for Melbourne next season. The contract details I'll sort out at the end of the season".

Do not offer to negotiate a contract for me as refusal often offends. If you are serious about the above statement then you have successfully knocked $$$$$ off the contract. Or alternatively you have a player say something like that, for example - "I would love to captain Geelong" - quote Gazza Jnr late 2009 and we know exactly how that turned out. Words are cheap and of no comfort whatsoever.

Here is the flipside to your argument belzebub - re signing now but with formula's for the new player payment regime. Whilst this is a consideration the bottom line is ( and here is my only bit of conspiracy theory), the longer TS's management leave the negotiation the better his outcome ( barring news that his knee is chronic). Whilst we hate to have players hold us to ransom we do the same with some of our players. We gave Cam Bruce an ultimatum and we told Junior his days were over when he thought he should play on. We told Newton that he was to be delisted and then offered only a rookie spot. There are two parties to all negotiations and in some we hold the upper hand in Cam's,Juniors and Juices case but in TS's case he holds the whip hand and is setting a timetable that without any fear of contradiction serves his cause, not the MFC. On the new player payment deal, the AFL has just walked out on the AFLPA. They have a six week deadline. SEN has already canvassed players as to whether they would strike like the NFL. We have 6 weeks to finalisation - why wouldnt you just say hold off and we'll talk after its put to bed ?

I'll ask people to try and act dispassionately as a player manager and not Dee's supporters and state that it is not in TS best interest to hold off as late as possible to sign ? If you were Alistair Lynch you would be advising the same. Herein lies the problem - there are many on this board who cannot think this through without the emotion.

Edited by nutbean

Guest 36DD

Can anyone tell me why this has flared up again???

Was it the Jimmy Stynes telling scully to be honest in the Hun??? or is there more to it???

Cant be bothered reading all the posts, it was done 2 death in Feb....

Guest Artie Bucco

Now who's confusing speculation with facts.

Of course they'd want Swan

Swan would cost no more than Ablett

They could also find other ways to pay which the AFL would gladly oblige/help

Anyway if they want Sculls it would be for different reasons than they would want Swan. They could find $$s for both

Yeah, you're right, obviously that was only my opinion on the matter.

It wasn't integral to the argument though.

Do not offer to negotiate a contract for me as refusal often offends. If you are serious about the above statement then you have successfully knocked $$$$$ off the contract. Or alternatively you have a player say something like that, for example - "I would love to captain Geelong" - quote Gazza Jnr late 2009 and we know exactly how that turned out. Words are cheap and of no comfort whatsoever.

Here is the flipside to your argument belzebub - re signing now but with formula's for the new player payment regime. Whilst this is a consideration the bottom line is ( and here is my only bit of conspiracy theory), the longer TS's management leave the negotiation the better his outcome ( barring news that his knee is chronic). Whilst we hate to have players hold us to ransom we do the same with some of our players. We gave Cam Bruce an ultimatum and we told Junior his days were over when he thought he should play on. We told Newton that he was to be delisted and then offered only a rookie spot. There are two parties to all negotiations and in some we hold the upper hand in Cam's,Juniors and Juices case but in TS's case he holds the whip hand. On the new player payment deal, the AFL has just walked out on the AFLPA. They have a six week deadline. SEN has already canvassed players as to whether they would strike like the NFL. We have 6 weeks to finalisation - why wouldnt you just say hold off and we'll talk after its put to bed ?

I'll ask people to try and act dispassionately as a player manager and not Dee's supporters and state that it is not in TS best interest to hold off as late as possible to sign ? If you were Alistair Lynch you would be advising the same. Herein lies the problem - there are many on this board who cannot think this through without the emotion.

Agreed. This ^(as highlighted) is the gist of what i stated in my original post that you took exception to, BB59...albeit in not as many words.

Nice work nutbean.

Even the last line (as highlighted) is reminiscent of my "nervous nelly's ...beads of sweat...venting their weekly displeasure" line.

:)

Going back to Tom's one and only presser in March it was obvious he was artfully well coached to what to say. In the end he said nothing more than what Velocity Sports had said previously. But he was not perfect. He was very eloquent and confident but when he had to answer a direct question the modulation of his voice changed significantly. Totally unconvincing.

OMG - prior to the press conference you continually went on about him not saying anything or answering any questions. Now he has answered all questions put to him, you didnt like the tone of his voice !!!

For me there are only three possible outcomes

1/ He re-signs with the MFC

2/ He hasnt been approached, will weigh up the offer when it comes and take the money and run

3/ He has signed already, lied through his teeth and will play for the giants next year

I tend to think that number 3 is for the conspiracy theorists only but its all academic - from a person that negotiates for a living I say to Velocity regarding Tom Scully - "well played Sir - wouldnt play it any differently myself". On behalf of the MFC I say - "please Tom sign up with us"

Edited by nutbean

Can anyone tell me why this has flared up again???

Was it the Jimmy Stynes telling scully to be honest in the Hun??? or is there more to it???

Cant be bothered reading all the posts, it was done 2 death in Feb....

I think thats very much the case 36DD It seemed a strange ( to me ) thing to suddenly surface. Had we not danced this dance,and put it to bed for the interum ? And then..!! Odd..I thought, others too .

Nutbean ..I do understand that argument and it does carry much water. he is..or has put himself into the box seat and quite frankly that irks me. Hes good, he may be better but I , as a Melbourne supporter and member have had a gut ful of players holding us to ransom then not delivering. Im a bit over it.

HT.. not sure which setting are affecting things but thanks for your clarification ..cheers

1/ He resigns with the MFC... I hope he re-signs personally...but you may be right :)

HT.. not sure which setting are affecting things but thanks for your clarification ..cheers

Two removed/deleted posts may be the reason. Or if you're ignoring anyone..thankfully it's not me. ;)

the other thing for me was the way Mike Sheahan questioned him if he or his family had spoken to GWS, TS denied it, and he ashed him again like 'are you sure?' and he denied it again.. it really sounded to me like Sheahan was certain he was telling porkies. Im no sheahan fan but I wouldnt expect him to be fabricating things like that especially since he is a deep-in-the-closet melbourne fan. Could be that Shehan's source was wrong of course but it seemed to me like he was pretty certain

OMG - prior to the press conference you continually went on about him not saying anything or answering any questions. Now he has answered all questions put to him, you didnt like the tone of his voice !!!

1/ He resigns with the MFC

2/ He hasnt been approached, will weigh up the offer when it comes and take the money and run

3/ He has signed already, lied through his teeth and will play for the giants next year

I tend to think that number 3 is for the conspiracy theorists only but its all academic - from a person that negotiates for a living I say to Velocity regarding Tom Scully - "well played Sir - wouldnt play it any differently myself". On behalf of the MFC I say - "please Tom sign up with us"

did you know that 'the world is round' was once a conspiracy theory!

Nutbean ..I do understand that argument and it does carry much water. he is..or has put himself into the box seat and quite frankly that irks me. Hes good, he may be better but I , as a Melbourne supporter and member have had a gut ful of players holding us to ransom then not delivering. Im a bit over it.

Agree with this up to a point - as an MFC supporter 100% agree but when I put my dispassionate hat on, truth be told, players whose star is in the ascendancy - TS, Cam Bruce for many years, Aaron Davey at last contract negotiation - will have us over a barrel. However can you say to me sitting in Juniors chair that he didnt deserve another year and maybe we forced him into early retirement. We axe players every year - some feel hard done by. Dispassionately, all negotiations and player decisions are governed by demand and supply - there is a demand for TS and an oversupply of Simon Godfrey's. The negotiations go accordingly.

1/ He resigns with the MFC

No 1 Option. For the Ostriches.

No 2. For the fence sitters.

No 3. For the conspiracy theorists.

did you know that 'the world is round' was once a conspiracy theory!

And also man didnt actually walk on the moon - it was created in a studio in Hollywood.

And 9/11 was perpetrated by zionists as there were phone calls to every Jewish person who worked in the twin towers telling them not to go to work. Not one Jewish person died in the towers collapse.

And Elvis Presley is not really dead but living on a tropical Island with Michael Jackson as his toyboy

Your point?

Edited by nutbean

ummmm it was in the papers buddy, i'm not surprised you don't know what you're talking about. He is a big fish like Scully, out of contract, rumoured to be on the GWS radar and he signed, PROVING that this 'is in his best interests to wait' argument doesn't stand up. Why can't we have Scully sign a similar contract to the one Swan signed, there are a few extra clauses in it. It's a straightforward and perfectly reasonable question. There may well be a perfectly good reason why it's good for the goose (Swan) but not for the gander (Scully) I would appreciate if someone could point it out

Now please respond only to the things I have written, don't just mention other random things that cross your mind.

And Pendlebury and Thomas? where are they at, signed up like Swan yeah....

And also man didnt actually walk on the moon - it was created in a studio in Hollywood

And 7/11 was perpetrated by zionists as there were phone calls to every Jewish person who worked in the twin towers telling them not to go to work. Not one Jewish person died in the towers collapse.

And Elvis Presley is not really dead but living on a tropical Island with Michael Jackson as his toyboy

Your point ?

and.....'the world is round' was once a conspiracy theory!

still is by Tigger supporters......only "conspiracy theory" is too big a mouthful for them so they call it "a pile of shyte"

the other thing for me was the way Mike Sheahan questioned him if he or his family had spoken to GWS, TS denied it, and he ashed him again like 'are you sure?' and he denied it again.. it really sounded to me like Sheahan was certain he was telling porkies. Im no sheahan fan but I wouldnt expect him to be fabricating things like that especially since he is a deep-in-the-closet melbourne fan. Could be that Shehan's source was wrong of course but it seemed to me like he was pretty certain

Sheehan said that that he was very impressed by Tom's sincerity in his speech but next day his doubts seemed to re-emerge. I guess he listened more closely to what Tom said on tape.